Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Guide] Caving in Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

isaac_bardin
  • Minecraft: idb79

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

This Minecraft Guide is part of a series that I'm writing on Minecraft! To get to the other Guides, click on my avatar! It'll bring you to my About Me page, which includes the links to my other Guides.

How do I go caving in Minecraft?

That's a question asked in Minecraft mostly by new players of the game. And while the following guide to caving is directed mostly at new players, even Minecraft pros will most likely get something out of this guide! This guide provides caving techniques, how to get out of bad situations, what you should bring caving, how to get out of a cave... everything a person would ever need!

Just like the other guides in my Minecraft Guides series, this guide is filled with my strange humor and my over-analyzing of things. A 3,500 word post on caving? Only I would write that.

And without further ado, here is the Complete Guide to Caving! (sorta)

Spoiler:

More Helpful Links:
-the Minecraft Wiki may be found here!
-The most amazing video ever may be found here!

That's all for now! I'll add things to this post over time, so please suggest things for me to add! Similar to my last Minecraft Guide, this guide will continually be updated over time. However, I'll probably spend most of my time writing my next guide rather than editing this one. See you all next time!

-isaac

If you appreciate the many hours I've spent writing this guide and the days and days I've spent writing all my guides combined, give this post a +1! It's just one click for you and it makes my rep-whoring self feel better about the time I put into these.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

dogeatdogworld

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I don't think you mentioned above-ground ravines, they are FILLED with stacks of iron ore, they are so helpful.
Posted Image

WittyWhiscash
  • Minecraft: WittyWhiscash

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Very nice guide Isaac_Bardin! A fun fact: As discovered by Vechs in his Waking Up videos tackling Boomer Castle, Cave Spiders can actually fit through a 1 (length), by 0.5(height) space. Might want to change that as a friendly suggestion. Keep it up! ^_^
Posted Image

isaac_bardin

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for the comment Witty!

Thanks for your observation dogeatdog! I shall update the ravines section to include that tidbit! ^_^
Posted Image

WarPigsLukesWall

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

The Stronghold tip was very informative, wish I had known that sooner!
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

goldendragon1597
  • Minecraft: goldendragon1597

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to comment here just in case I can learn something new...
Posted Image

Movati
    Movati

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Nice guide overall, but I have to disagree in one point, and add maybe another
Torch placement: If you enter a big cave is it good to place them on the ground, to, as you said, prevent monsters from spawning.
On the other hand it is a good orientation if you always place your torches on one side, (left or right), it helps to know in where you come from.
Another thing that I do is if i enter a cave branch, I dont start mining, but go the dead end or the next intersection, torch it up and mine on my way back.
This ensures that less monsters spawn while I mine my precious and reduces the ssssss-suprise effect

dan3697
    dan3697

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Minecraft: dan3697

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

This seems like it may be interesting. I just might lurk this thread for a bit to see if you add on to it.
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
   --Mark Russell

Tá m’árthach foluaineach lán d’eascainn! / Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan!

wrightforce
  • Minecraft: wrightboy98

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Isaac, I really like this guide, but I have to point something out.  You only covered one style of caving, specifically, your style.  Lots of people cave in many different ways, it may be a good idea to cover those as well before you call this the "Complete Guide to Caving".  I agree, your techniques work well and can produce good results, but remember that they aren't the only way.  Maybe think about adding in alternative methods, they'll work better for some people, but leave in your "recommended" or "personally used" method as well.  Good guide!
Posted Image

joshgant
    joshgant

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Good stuff.  A couple things I do:

1. I place torches on the right wall, right at ground level as I explore so I can find my way back.  If I need light elsewhere on the floor I will put torches on the ground - but ground torches are never for navigation.

2. I will often bring a chest with me in case I am about to get into an area with a lot of lava.  I put my resources in the chest prior to exploring/mining in the dangerous area in case I die - when you die in lava, there is no going back to get your drops.

Tremuto
    Tremuto

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

How are you not gonna have the tip: Never Dig Straight Down?
Just your friendly neighborhood otter.

Sethly87

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

joshgant, I try to use both of those methods as well. The torch on the right is pretty amazing for navigation, just a very easy way to instantly know if you're going further in or coming out of the cave.

Pretty good guide also, isaac! It will help me more when I finally get to making potions and enchanting things.

VampArcher

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Very nice guide.
:)

Posted Image

shotgun_surgeon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Very nice guide dude! +1

isaac_bardin

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yeah wright + everyone else.... this is certainly a work in progress. I'll be adding to it over time, and while it is mostly just MY opinion on caving, I hope it can help some people out. I was just joking about the title, really-- if I made a COMPLETE guide to caving, I'd be here a couple centuries!

But yup, feel free to bookmark/follow this thread, because I will be adding to it over time, similar to my first guide. :)
Posted Image

Rethical
    Rethical

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Minecraft: Rethical

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Well written guide, all new players should be pointed here!

It may be wise to link to more advanced topics. You mentioned potions and enchantments, new comers might not know much about these, so it might be nice to include links or reference material.

+1

Quote me if you'd like me to respond---------------------My Minecraft Settlement Series
Posted Image

wrightforce
  • Minecraft: wrightboy98

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Postisaac_bardin, on 26 November 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Yeah wright + everyone else.... this is certainly a work in progress. I'll be adding to it over time, and while it is mostly just MY opinion on caving, I hope it can help some people out. I was just joking about the title, really-- if I made a COMPLETE guide to caving, I'd be here a couple centuries!

But yup, feel free to bookmark/follow this thread, because I will be adding to it over time, similar to my first guide. Posted Image
If you'd want, I'd love to help out writing parts of this.  If not, here are some suggestions on "articles," as it were.
  • Torches on right/left for directions
  • Speed Caving
  • Night Vision Potions
  • X-Ray Machines
  • Exploring Mineshafts vs. Natural caves
  • Digging one by one holes in walls
  • Diamond/Lava level
  • Emeralds
  • Y-Levels of ores
  • Dealing with water source blocks
  • Ravines

Posted Image

Stone234

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

i just read a 3000+ article on caving in minecraft...
I wonder how I'm failing English o_0
EDIT:
Oh ya i forgot, nice guide bro. Never thought to bring potions, might try it one time.
Posted Image

khaleel543
  • Minecraft: khaleel

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Really nice guide, Was just wondering if there any tips in exploring abandoned mineshafts as when ever I encounter one I decide to explore it and always get lost.

Phriendly

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Very nice guide, a lot better than the usual ones I see on this forum :)
STOP!
Spoiler: