10 replies to this topic

King3_14
    King3_14

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: Anrza

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Don't post criticizing comments before reading all of this. If you don't want to, remember that nobody's forcing you to post criticizing comments before you read all of this.

I want it to be possible to walk in the same direction for ever. Not by generating new terrain, but by making the world possible to walk around. I have two ideas:
  • A cube; a huge cube where gravity turns at the edges, with bedrock in a pyramid shape in the ground, so that you can only change gravity field at the edges. This enables a possibility of deeper mines. Each side would be 11,000*11,000 kilometers.
  • A globe; a world that instead of having edges, simply (OK, not so simple, I guess) goes back to where you started (I hope you get the idea) after walking about 44,000 kilometers. You take the world and wrap it around an orange.
OK, too big worlds, you may say?
The current minecraft world consists of up to

blocks.

With the cube idea, it would be

with the maximum physically possible deabth/height but only

with the current 256 block limit, meaning that the world would be smaller, even if the mines were deeper. It would take more time to load with the chunk system that is in use ATM, so I guess that'd have to change.

With the globe idea, it would be slightly bigger than 1/1000 of the current world, meaning that we could have mines 62 500 times as deep without having a bigger world.

Anyone that agrees with me?
I'm watching you -.-

Register or log in to remove.

ElephantBroham
  • Minecraft: ElephantBroham

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I don't agree, globes are circular!

RexBox1337
  • Location: Behind y- OKE THAT JOKE IS DEAD OKAY, STOP TELLING ME!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostElephantBroham, on 25 November 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I'd rather have infinite x & z terrain than more y terrain. i hope someday we'll get cube chunks! :D
People call me Rex, and Rex is latin for king.
In other words, bring sum mur cupcak's.

King3_14
    King3_14

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostElephantBroham, on 25 November 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I never said anything else. At what point do you disagree?
I'm watching you -.-

MayaRomy
    MayaRomy

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm sorry, no support. Why would I want the world to eventually loop around and be much smaller? And I'm afraid I don't understand the cube idea at all. So it's a square shaped earth that occasionally changes the center of gravity so you can essentially feel like you're walking around the ENTIRE earth on foot? How would it work with things like water, boats, or minecarts?

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 10974 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

The cube idea gets an immediate no from me. You said it yourself:

View PostKing3_14, on 25 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Meaning that the world would be smaller, even if the mines were deeper.

It would take more time to load with the chunk system that is in use ATM.
It makes absolutely no sense to completely rewrite the way the game loads chunks when we will get less space to use.

As for the globe, you said it would have mines that are 62,500 times deeper. I'm assuming your math is correct, and seeing how the surface of the world averages to be about at height 64 and the lowest you get without hitting bedrock is about level 4, that gives our current mines a depth of 60 blocks. 60 * 62,500 = 3,750,000 block deep mines. So I have to ask you:

Are you absolutely out of your mind?

Let's assume that the levels you find minerals at scales accordingly. Meaning Diamond is found typically in the levels 2-15. If you apply the same math, you get it ranging from levels 125,000 to 937,500 At a .08% spawn, that is a ton of Diamonds. HOWEVER, just to get to the Diamond levels, you would need to mine straight down about 2,812,500 blocks. Seeing how you can't get to Diamond Picks yet, we'll assume Iron ones. That is 11206 Iron Picks to get to the Diamond levels. But, let's go deeper.

11206 Iron Picks is 33618 Iron Ore, and you need 4203 Coal to smelt that. Using one Furnace, at 10 seconds per Smelt, it would take almost 4 real world days to smelt enough Iron to get enough picks to get to Diamond.

So all of that aside, You would need to make a Stone pick to get your first 3 Iron, and one Coal. But let's call it 8 Iron, just so we aren't wasting Coal. The time it takes to mine 8 Iron and 1 Coal with a Stone Pick is 9*1.15= 10.35 Seconds. You also need 8 Cobble for the furnace, so that is another 4.8 Seconds. Now, let's say that the Minecraft Gods have smiled upon you and after you get the first Iron Pick, it lasts forever until you find Diamond. No smelting more Iron. At .4 seconds per block, assuming you ONLY hit Stone, it takes you 1,125,000 seconds, or 13.02 days to hit the Diamond levels. And that doesn't take the time that you WOULD need to spend ditching cobble, getting more wood for sticks, and such.

But all of that aside, let's say you finally get to Diamond levels. You magically had Ladders placed down the entire chute. According to the MC wiki, it takes 110 seconds to climb 256 blocks (approx), meaning you climb at about a rate of 2.3 blocks per second. You get your Diamonds. Time to climb up those 2.8 million blocks. But hey, it will only take you 14 real life days to climb back up.

Sure, I made some broad assumptions. Depending on if I misunderstood what you said at any point, my math could be off. But regardless, on my current information, I have to say that I absolutely never, ever want to see this.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

MintyzN00B
  • Minecraft: MintyN00B

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

The point of bedrocks is so that you don't fall in the void but with the cube bedrock is useless
JOIN GONDOR THE MIGHTIEST FACTION OF ALL

Twister
    Twister

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

There are several problems with this.

1. It would call for a complete rewrite of the terrain generation system (although terrain has been suggested many times to be changed).

2. The file volume would be either inefficient masses of individual files, or a large tumor file that takes forever to load.

3. The Nether.

4. Pre-existing worlds would not be compatible with this.

5. Day and night cycles would need to be rewritten.

6. Dynamic gravity would call for a rewrite of entity and liquid block coding.

7. My favorite number is 7.

Posted Image

noc13
    noc13

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

This is a slightly more practical suggestion that accomplishes some (most?) of what you want
http://www.minecraft...rld-as-a-globe/

View PostBadprenup, on 26 November 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Are you absolutely out of your mind?
Badprenup, thank you for taking the time to bring some rigor to the discussion!

A globe; a world that instead of having edges, simply (OK, not so simple, I guess) goes back to where you started (I hope you get the idea) after walking about 44,000 kilometers. You take the world and wrap it around an orange.
In a word - WHY?
According to the wiki sprinting is 5.6 m/s. Your world has a circumference of 44,000,000 meters. That means it would take 7,857,143 seconds to walk around the world or 130,952 minutes, or 6,547 Mine Craft Days, or 91 real Days. How much of a difference do you think this would make, and who would notice?

Another important word is "HOW?"
You may have noticed that it is difficult to take flat things - never mind square things - and wrap them around oranges. In case you don't have an entertaining solution let me recommend a toroid (think doughnut), and reference the other thread.

Less important questions include-
"Say What?"

with bedrock in a pyramid shape in the ground
and
"You don't say?"

It would take more time to load with the chunk system that is in use ATM, so I guess that'd have to change.

Kylexys
    Kylexys

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Minecraft: Kylexys
  • Xbox:WishedRain3759

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

What if I managed to dig straight through the cube to the otherside? Would I fall? Or would gravity revert and send me flying back down the hole?
http://startonate.ap...HlhaG9vLmNvLnVr
Click so I can get access to beta of the universe project, I click back.

King3_14
    King3_14

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Sorry for the disorder in this reply.

MayaRomy&Twister
Minecarts, boats, water and lava would also be affected by this gravity.

Badprenup
The mines wouldn't necesserily have to be that deep, but I wouldn't mind a depth that is a bit more realistic. And of course you would be able to find diamonds at lvls higher than that.

MintyzN00B&Kylexys
Bedrock would be to prevent players from going through to another gravity field at any other place that the edges.

Twister
Of course the system would have to be rewritten.

Twister
It wouldn't take forever to load if the chunk system is changed.

Twister
The nether would stay the way it is.

Twister
Well, yes unfortunately pre-existing worlds wouldn't be compitable with it, maybe make it a new world type?

Twister
Yes, sun and moon cycles would have to be rewritten.

noc13
OK, it was too big.

noc13
I didn't mean to wrap it around an orange or any other globe, but to make it possible to walk around.

noc13
A bedrock wall going from corner to corner to the center to prevent people from going from one side to another at any other place than the edge

noc13
OK, might have been an unnessecery statement, but the maths might have been too. I'm just clearing it and there's no need to say that it's "You don't say."

Use your imagination. It's still a developing idea.
I'm watching you -.-