32 replies to this topic

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2913 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostOneWingedPie, on 26 November 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

but it gets boring and predictable after a while...

Yep, around the Chapter One of Book Two.
I sorta like the big words explanations, though.
Check out the awesome model train layout I'm working on:
backo.hr

Register or log in to remove.

OneWingedPie
  • Minecraft: OneWingedPie

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostShpaget, on 26 November 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Yep, around the Chapter One of Book Two.
I sorta like the big words explanations, though.

Klaus's explanations am I correct? heh, yeah they were quite entertaining
Posted Image

wqeu24
    wqeu24

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I would definately have to reccomend Catcher in The Rye. Now before anyone dumb enough says "The guy that killed John Lennon read that!" please don't the book is great and the main character is so easily relatable you almost picture yourself
Posted Image

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2913 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postwqeu24, on 26 November 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I would definately have to reccomend Catcher in The Rye. Now before anyone dumb enough says "The guy that killed John Lennon read that!" please don't the book is great and the main character is so easily relatable you almost picture yourself

I couldn't finish that one.
backo.hr

Spires
    Spires

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • Minecraft: Isildor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

If you want some fun and easily digested reading I'd very much recommend any books by Terry Pratchett. They're fairly short and always full of humor and thought. There's also more of them than you can count (or at least lots), so if you like it there is always more.

View PostNetherack Creeper, on 25 November 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

"Hicker's Guide to the Galaxy"?
Hicker's?
Really?
How can you miss-spell hitchhiker?
Heard t'was what 'appens when you lose yer towel.
Follow the butterflies

AlliePavlike

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

If you have interest in inspirational books you can try The Joe Dial. I have read the book and found it very interesting. Get the first two chapters of the book on http://www.friendesha.com and decide whether you want to read it or not.

If you like reading you can also read positive stuff that will make you more happy and energetic as well.

Maggarg
    Maggarg

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Location: It rains here and we used to up other countries. Guess.
  • Minecraft: Timmay

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostShpaget, on 26 November 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

I couldn't finish that one.
how? it's less than 200 pages long, that's maybe a few hours of reading tops. Hardly challenging in terms of length or style tbh.

@OP, read a bit of Neil Gaiman
Every Christmas, I make sure I unwrap the Maggarg that I have in the fridge and cook it. He's so delecious and edible, if not a bit spicy. I can just feel the gastric juices digesting him in my belly as we speak. Mm, mm, mm, delicious.

- Animator (P.S. I'm leaving the quote, it's too good to erase.)

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2913 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well, when I pick up a book I don't decide whether to read it or not based on the number of pages. I open it on the page one and start reading. If it doesn't sit well with me in those first pages (or even first lines as it happened with certain novels) I shut it and in most cases never return to it.

Notable exception is the Red Mars from Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I think I started it at least 5 times and it always gets indigestible at the same point. But I promised myself I'd read the series, so every once in a while I give it shot. In fact I think it's about time I try again.
backo.hr

NeedySteevy
  • Minecraft: NeedySteevy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Heh, a lot of you seem to be reading a lot of fantasy or classics.  I like both of those types of books, but I also like stuff such as epic poetry and plays.  Right now, I'm reading Faust, and I'm loving every bit of it :D, even if some of it is hard to understand xD

Posted Image

supertimbe

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

will the maze runner has already been recommended so ill recommend the givers series the the books are small but there still a good read that leaves you with a lot of questions that can be answered by reading the next books
Posted Image plz click

Maggarg
    Maggarg

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Location: It rains here and we used to up other countries. Guess.
  • Minecraft: Timmay

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostShpaget, on 28 November 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Well, when I pick up a book I don't decide whether to read it or not based on the number of pages. I open it on the page one and start reading. If it doesn't sit well with me in those first pages (or even first lines as it happened with certain novels) I shut it and in most cases never return to it.

Notable exception is the Red Mars from Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I think I started it at least 5 times and it always gets indigestible at the same point. But I promised myself I'd read the series, so every once in a while I give it shot. In fact I think it's about time I try again.
fair enough, but I know a lot of great books that are a bit slow to start, so it might be worth kicking that habit in the long run
Every Christmas, I make sure I unwrap the Maggarg that I have in the fridge and cook it. He's so delecious and edible, if not a bit spicy. I can just feel the gastric juices digesting him in my belly as we speak. Mm, mm, mm, delicious.

- Animator (P.S. I'm leaving the quote, it's too good to erase.)

sikcool
    sikcool

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Xbox:sikcool

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Not sure if it fits into the category you're looking for, but the Mistborn trilogy is pretty good.
It starts out a bit slow, though.

Rethical
    Rethical

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Minecraft: Rethical

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I will always recommend the following series of books to anyone who hasnt read them.

"The Name of the Wind" - Patrick Rothfuss: The first book in the Kingkiller Chronicles. This book is an astounding fantasy fiction debut. not very well known, but probably one of the best fantasy books I have ever read. Also if you jump on the bandwagon now, you can enjoy the hype next year as patrick plans to release to final book in the trilogy in 2013!

"The lies of Locke Lamora" - Scott Lynch: Scott has promised to realeas 7 books in this series. "the lies of Locke Lamora" is book one, and its fantastic! If you like reading about child/teenage-gangs (oliver twist style) who make a name for themselves and take over a whole city, you've got to read this book!

Lastly I would recommend any books in the Culture series by Iain M Banks. This recommendation comes with a warning though, I tried to read them when I was your age, and I didn't really "get" them, maybe wait till you a bit older 18-20.

Happy Reading!

Quote me if you'd like me to respond---------------------My Minecraft Settlement Series
Posted Image