Whats Your Typing Speed? [Revised For More Fun!]

typing test

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

davidp5118
  • Minecraft: davidp5118
  • Xbox:davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Whats your fastest typing speed? There has been lots of talk about this test. Both how it is good, and how it tests you on the wrong parts of typing. We have lots of members with some fast hands, and some members who need a little practicing. I found the test very fun and very interactive. There are some members here who are editing the picture to edit their result, giving them a test of like 250 or some crazy number like that, but that is not the point of this test. That is not the goal.

You are trying to push yourself to become better. All gamers, or all people really should be fluent in typing. As the modern times turn more twords  technology it will be more important for you to be able to type, to communicate faster and for efficiently. I think every person should be able to be comfortable typing long paragraphs full of hundreds of words; as you grow older this skill will be essential! You will need to know how to type, and how to do it fast and efficiently.

Most things are over the internet now. On the computer. Whether it is research, communication, projects, or just plain fun. When is the last time you sent a hand written letter to someone? As you go through school you will need to be able to type, and be good at it. So you can write projects, book reports, applications, etc. When I first took the test, I was 88. Now I'm at 112. Practice makes perfect.

If you want to succeed in life you have to adapt to it. When it throws crazy things at you you have to be able to dodge it, or take the hit and walk away. Technology is the throw. Adapt now and forever succeed, leave it behind and forever hold your peace. Forever be left behind. You need to learn how to type, there is no question about it. In the future everything will involve typing, and you need to be able to do it. Now it is even a job requirement for some jobs! The future holds surprises. You need to be ready for anything it throws at you.

So again, I ask you: What is your  typing speed?

Want to find out?

Want to take the challenge?

Here is what you need to do:
  • Take the test
  • Post your results
  • Practice
  • Compare
  • Push yourself
  • Practice some more
I am:
Spoiler:

Posted Image

More Information On Typing and the Importance of It:

Alphanumeric entry

In one study of average computer users, the average rate for transcription was 33 words per minute, and 19 words per minute for composition. In the same study, when the group was divided into "fast", "moderate" and "slow" groups, the average speeds were 40 wpm, 35 wpm, and 23 wpm respectively. An average professional typist reaches 50 to 80 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 wpm (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120 wpm.Two-finger typists, sometimes also referred to as "hunt and peck" typists, commonly reach sustained speeds of about 37 wpm for memorized text and 27 wpm when copying text, but in bursts may be able to reach speeds of 60 to 70 wpm. From the 1920s through the 1970s, typing speed (along with shorthand speed) was an important secretarial qualification and typing contests were popular and often publicized by typewriter companies as promotional tools.
A less common measure of the speed of a typist, CPM is used to identify the number of characters typed per minute. This is a common measurement for typing programs, or typing tutors, as it can give a more accurate measure of a person's typing speed without having to type for a prolonged period of time. The common conversion factor between WPM and CPM is 5. It is also used occasionally for associating the speed of a reader with the amount they have read. CPM has also been applied to 20th century printers, but modern faster printers more commonly use PPM (pages per minute).
The fastest typing speed ever, 216 words per minute, was achieved by Stella Pajunas-Garnand from Chicago in 1946 in one minute. As of 2005, writer Barbara Blackburn was the fastest English Language typist in the world, she has maintained 150 wpm for 50 minutes, and 170 wpm for shorter periods. She has been clocked at a peak speed of 212 wpm. She failed her QWERTY typing class in high school.

file:///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif

Register or log in to remove.

Samiboula
    Samiboula

Enderdragon Slayer

• Retired Staff
  • 12373 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I tried this before, I got about 60 wpm. I might try it again in a bit.

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostSamiboula, on 22 November 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I tried this before, I got about 60 wpm. I might try it again in a bit.

It is quite fun and very easy.

They give you a ton of words and you have a minute to type in as many as possible.

I took it several times :)
file:///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif

dragonbreaker

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Posted Image
I can usually get up to the high 90's.

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postdragonbreaker, on 22 November 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

I can usually get up to the high 90's.

Wow, very fast hands you got there :)

iced199
    iced199

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I got about 42 wpm. I am terrible compared to you guys and most others. I have been trying to improve it though, after a week I had improved from 26 wpm to 34 wpm to my current 42 wpm.

Rufus said:

Some people really need to stay away from the government propaganda department. Let the brain-washing machines have a day off, they must need maintenance by now.

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

View Posticed199, on 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

I got about 42 wpm. I am terrible compared to you guys and most others. I have been trying to improve it though, after a week I had improved from 26 wpm to 34 wpm to my current 42 wpm.

The only way to improve is with practice :D

I commend you for trying it though, it shows the determination needed for improving skills.

Samiboula
    Samiboula

Enderdragon Slayer

• Retired Staff
  • 12373 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Alright, I just took the test again.
Posted Image

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostSamiboula, on 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Alright, I just took the test again.
Posted Image

Very Nice :D

AramilTheElf
  • Minecraft: AramilTheElf

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I usually get around mid-70s on this one, but it's not a very reliable test. No special characters, no capitals, no sentence structure - it's not a very reliable test. I prefer this one. Structured sentences are a more reliable way of testing typing speed. On that one I usually get mid - high 60s

Posted Image

Dragon
    Dragon

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5045 posts
  • Minecraft: coolnilk/berachi
  • Xbox:None yet.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

It's in my profile, 45 WPM.

Posted Image

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostAramilTheElf, on 22 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I usually get around mid-70s on this one, but it's not a very reliable test. No special characters, no capitals, no sentence structure - it's not a very reliable test. I prefer this one. Structured sentences are a more reliable way of testing typing speed. On that one I usually get mid - high 60s

Interesting, this is a good observation as well.

suchareq3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

Also typingtest.com got me 98 WPM i think... well, it was 90+, accuracy 97%. 2 Words missed (actually about 10, but i always backspace the word not typing whole the word up)
Posted Image
Hey, you! Try out the Ashvale RPG! Warning! Contains guns, quests and an amazing storyline.

davidp5118

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Postsuchareq3, on 22 November 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

Also typingtest.com got me 98 WPM i think... well, it was 90+, accuracy 97%. 2 Words missed (actually about 10, but i always backspace the word not typing whole the word up)

Very Nice :D

Keldeo
    Keldeo

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2643 posts
  • Xbox:  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

...my result is not very good...
Posted Image
The best I've ever done.

Posted Image

-  Random fact: My signature once said "Rainbow Dash is best pony" but it was coded and no one understood it. -

Corvo
    Corvo

Enderdragon Slayer

• Members
  • 13482 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

My fastest typing speed is actually the same as yours.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Schmoople
    Schmoople

Custom Title Fisher

• Members
  • 12335 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Move aside, n00bzorz.
Posted Image

sirrockyqo
  • Minecraft: Sirrockyqo
  • Xbox:Sirrockyqo

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

My fastest is around 120, Im the fastest typer in my school, but I do 60 when Im relaxin...

SigmaRainbow
  • Minecraft: SigmaRainbow_
  • Xbox:KSI Rainboww

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Posted Image

Used to be the fastest in the school at around 120, back when I was on the computer all the time. Since then, though, I really don't spend much time on the computer.

Posted Image

isaac_bardin
  • Minecraft: idb79

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

Suck it, 103 wpm! :D

I took Mavis Beacon typing class for a few months when I was little. Paid off.
Posted Image