• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How much are emeralds worth?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

epictacogurl

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

OK, this might be in the wrong section, and if it is, I am sorry. But I want to trade emeralds for diamonds on a server, and I'm wondering, how many emeralds per diamond is a fair trade?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

diamond_rake
  • Xbox:Sucks

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Ok yes wayyyyyyyy wrong section. 1:1 ratio i would say, but ive never played on a server.
Please post specs for your machine. Or a DXDIag would be awesome

lightbulbwindows1000
  • Minecraft: BlueAmbulance
  • Xbox:Never heard of it
  • PSN:PS...2?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

I heard 5 diamonds is a good deal for one emerald. And yes, this is the wrong section, this should be in the survival mode section, I believe.
Posted Image

diamond_rake
  • Xbox:Sucks

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Ok listen to that guy cuz i can mine emerald like candy on singleplayer but ive never played on a server
Please post specs for your machine. Or a DXDIag would be awesome

lightbulbwindows1000
  • Minecraft: BlueAmbulance
  • Xbox:Never heard of it
  • PSN:PS...2?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

View Postdiamond_rake, on 22 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Ok listen to that guy cuz i can mine emerald like candy on singleplayer but ive never played on a server
Matters what biome you're in. If you're in the extreme hills, you can find emeralds on the first day of mining and come out with 9 emeralds. But if you're in the plains biome, you're lucky to find even one emerald. But I know that no matter what biome you're in, 5 diamonds is a very good deal for an emerald.
Posted Image

Rablusep

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Why do people always forget about villages? 5 diamonds would be a terrific deal for an emerald saying that you can get an emerald for 19 wheat, I think, in a village.

JTTCOTE2
    JTTCOTE2

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Exactly... I would say more 5 emeralds to 1 diamond.

Zailemaos

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

emeralds are a renewable resource if you have good farms and a large village, so...

IronMagus

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

There are really only two kinds of items in Minecraft: renewable (read: free) items and non-renewable (read: priceless) ones. Emeralds are renewable, and thus free, (or worthless.) Diamonds are non-renewable and therefore priceless. With that in mind, giving any amount of emeralds for a diamond seems like a good deal.
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Scrabz1
    Scrabz1

Carpenter

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostIronMagus, on 23 November 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

There are really only two kinds of items in Minecraft: renewable (read: free) items and non-renewable (read: priceless) ones. Emeralds are renewable, and thus free, (or worthless.) Diamonds are non-renewable and therefore priceless. With that in mind, giving any amount of emeralds for a diamond seems like a good deal.

I think you are wrong.
The worth of a MineCraft item isn't determined by its renewable/ non-renewable-status but how long it takes to get it - and how complex.
So time and difficulty is the price- making factor.

Principally a MineCraft-world is roughly 8x bigger than earth. There are more diamonds in each than the whole player base can ever use.
So, a renewable item with a complex/rae generator which generates slowly (villages and their traders) can be worth more than a non-renewable item which is found frequently.

Music discs are also "renewable" but by no means "free".

Basically, something is worth as much as people are ready to pay for it.

Stone234

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

i've seen an emerald go for 4 diamonds with a villager, but i've also seen them go for 18 wheat and 20 paper...
i'm sure you can get 2-3 diamonds from the kid if you know how to negotiate.

View PostScrabz1, on 23 November 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Principally a MineCraft-world is roughly 8x bigger than earth. There are more diamonds in each than the whole player base can ever use.
* Infinitley large, not 8x earth.
Notch accidentley changed it in 1.8 update
Posted Image

poojoobie
  • Minecraft: poojoobie

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

2 REFINED.

View Postdiamond_rake, on 22 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

When do you mine candy?
yo yo yo

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postpoojoobie, on 23 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

When do you mine candy?

Well, you see, there are big pillars of candy in the magma sea and... oh, wait, wrong game.

I'd agree with Stone. 2-3 diamonds for an emerald is a pretty good deal, and it shouldn't be that hard to get if you know how to negotiate.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image‚Äč

DarkForce2000

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

You all have it wrong, you need to analyse it with SCIENCE!

First how many Diamonds do you have? Okay how many Emeralds do you have?

Put them into ratio. e.g. D:E  5:1.
Now this is pretty simple. That's the rating.
OR applying what Scrabz1 has said.
Multiply each side by how long it takes you to get a diamond/emerald.
e.g. 5mins for Diamond, 20 mins for Emerald.
5*5= 25:20 = 20*1
So 5:4

So Method:

No. of Diamonds:No. of Emeralds
No. * time taken:time taken * No.

OR Applying what IronMagus said:

No. of Diamonds:No. of Emeralds
No. * 1 (NoRenew):(Renew) 2 * No.

Posted Image

Moonrox
    Moonrox

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • Minecraft: Silver_Moonrox

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I get 3+ stacks of diamond on my server after less than an hour of mining, and I don't even get a stack of emeralds, due to their pack spawning limitations of one (they rarely spawn in groups larger than one, as in I've never seen a vein of more than one), but I have a few double chests of emeralds from back when you could exploit villager trades.

Pootrick2
  • Minecraft: Pootrick2

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Emeralds are worth nothing
Posted Image

grasslander32
  • Minecraft: grasslander32

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'd say they're not worth all too much. Trade with villagers and you can get a pile of them.
--grass

Markan
    Markan

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

well...emeralds can only be found in extreme hill biome , and at a lower rate than diamonds, so they are pretty rare compared to a diamond.

on the other hand, you can trade various easy to obtain items with villagers to obtain massive amounts of emeralds...
and that makes them a renewable material, witch also makes them common than a diamond.

also, you can trade those emeralds for diamond tools and armors (blacksmith villager)

but if you count out the villagers, id say 1 emerald for 2 diamonds atleast

Posted Image

Phycozz
    Phycozz

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

I would say 3:1 for emerald and diamond respectively. Would you pay 1 diamond for 19 wheat?
Posted Image

Trollking6

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

Depends on the ENVIRONMENT. If you are in a superflat world, near/in village(s), or in a biome like extremehills where you could mine emerald all day if on peaceful or you can avoid silverfish, it probably is not worth much. However, if in an area where it takes forever to find an emerald, the price may be high.