Latest News Article

Villagers are not smart enough!

villager npc suggestion minecraft funny

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Bakedtoast
  • Minecraft: Bakedtoast

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I find that villagers in minecraft are not smart enough.
Ive compiled a small list of things that I think need to be changed; hopefully jeb or dinnerbone or
someone will read this.

When you attack a villager unarmed (or without any tool or weapon) villagers that see it will crowd around
and "watch" from a safe distance away. If you move toward the wathing villagers before you kill
the victim, they will slowly back away from you.

If you kill the victim unarmed, villagers will do the same; slowly back away from you whilst remaining
in the "crowd" formation, until you leave their awareness zone and take off.

If you attack a villager when armed, he will flee as if you were a zombie. The other villagers
will "watch" until he is killed; then they will flee from you too, until you leave their
awareness zone.

If you sprint past villagers they will stop and look at you.

If you are notorious in a village (like -8 or -10) villagers wil always flee from you as if you were a zombie.

These are some things I'd like to see changed in the AI of villagers; they are, after all, my favorite mob and I'd love to see any improvements made on them.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

_CosmicEgg

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Why are you killing villagers?  Is it not possible to live in peace?  Live and let live, man.  It's just nicer that way.

Personally, other responsive players should be found in multiplayer.

If you really do need aggression, please find a nice creeper or two.  I can loan you *all* of mine, and I have more than my share, I assure you....

Bakedtoast

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

It's not that I NEED to kill villagers.
I just find that they have no reaction, not even the basic one that passive mobs have,
VERY irritating. It's like they don't care that they are being killed.
And I'm sure that if they added new AI like this, you would be testing it too.
Posted Image

CreATiveHippo
  • Minecraft: CreATive

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Why do you find that irritating?Calm down.

So,what's the solution to the problem?
<- This is a crow wearing a suit and dancing on the music of Bo Diddley. Your arguments are invalid.

aminecraftguy00
  • Minecraft: aminecraftguy00

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

This needs to be in the suggestions forums.
To all of you people who think Notch is still working on the game, he stopped working on Minecraft in late 2011. Get your facts straight and stop spamming his twitter about Minecraft updates.

ChickenNuggster

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Support the traders. The village is a democracy not an anarchy.
Posted Image

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Minecraft: kynarus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostCreATiveHippo, on 21 November 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

Why do you find that irritating?Calm down.

So,what's the solution to the problem?
He just listed the solutions...?
Anyway, I agree with OP, though only farmers should watch a fight. Butchers, librarians and blacksmiths should just ignore it, while priests should attempt to drive the villagers away.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

pregam68
    pregam68

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Mayby you have a point
But i just use villages for trading and stealing gold and iron.

_CosmicEgg

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I still fail to see why they should defend themselves or even as to why you feel that should be the default response.  Why do you consider aggression or defensive reaction to be desirable responses?  What exactly do you like that makes villagers your favorite mob, and why would you attack and kill them if that were in fact true?  I wouldn't like to be your friend irl if this is the mentality you espouse.

What is it you gain in attacking them?  Why would you hope for the "improvement" of aggression - and why do you consider this to be an indication of intelligence, of all things!?  Why do you consider their current response to be a failure of intelligence?  Why would

In the very first place I will forever continue to fail to see why you would issue aggression toward the villagers.  Perhaps your personal thought processes and behavior need examining.  There is more than enough evidence to be found throughout human history to see that violence is not an indication of intelligence, and our continued aggression is only proof of our profound stupidity.  Don't attempt to muck up this nice game with that sort of rot.  Go play Borderlands or something.  Plenty of mad "villagers" there.

bathhouswirral

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think you are right but I am not sure you said everything right.

Bakedtoast

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

View Post_CosmicEgg, on 21 November 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I still fail to see why they should defend themselves or even as to why you feel that should be the default response.  Why do you consider aggression or defensive reaction to be desirable responses?  What exactly do you like that makes villagers your favorite mob, and why would you attack and kill them if that were in fact true?  I wouldn't like to be your friend irl if this is the mentality you espouse.

What is it you gain in attacking them?  Why would you hope for the "improvement" of aggression - and why do you consider this to be an indication of intelligence, of all things!?  Why do you consider their current response to be a failure of intelligence?  Why would

In the very first place I will forever continue to fail to see why you would issue aggression toward the villagers.  Perhaps your personal thought processes and behavior need examining.  There is more than enough evidence to be found throughout human history to see that violence is not an indication of intelligence, and our continued aggression is only proof of our profound stupidity.  Don't attempt to muck up this nice game with that sort of rot.  Go play Borderlands or something.  Plenty of mad "villagers" there.

I would like to answer all your accusations calmly, without agression like you had towards me.

"I still fail to see why they should defend themselves or even as to why you feel that should be the default response."

I did not state that they would defend themselves, only that if you attacked them with a weapon or tool, that they would flee, which already is the default response if they see a zombie, which is why I would consider that default.

"Why do you consider aggression or defensive reaction to be desirable responses?"

I do not consider aggression a desirable response; nowhere did I say that the villagers would EVER fight back. A defensive fleeing I would consider default, because anyone with intelligence would rather live than be slaughtered with a weapon or tool (well most people anyways; maybe not you.).

"What exactly do you like that makes villagers your favorite mob, and why would you attack and kill them if that were in fact true? "

What do i like in villagers that makes them my favorite? Well, for one, they seemed to me a chance to interact with a creature that could be truly intelligent-I was still sadly dissapointed, but they still seem to me that if they live in houses and wear clothes, that they should be intelligent. If something is your favorite mob, does not mean you will not kill it, anyone who's favorite mob is a creeper would know what I mean. I would do it to see their reaction, to see the AI at work, for I happen to be interested in game designing and AI.

"I wouldn't like to be your friend irl if this is the mentality you espouse."

So, if you do not like the mentality I just showed you, which is interest in computer AI systems, then I don't know what isolated island you are from, if you hate anyone who takes an interest in programming.

"What is it you gain in attacking them?"

What do I gain in attacking them? Seeing their reactions. Also, see my thread in suggestions subgroup, "villager bounty".

"Why would you hope for the "improvement" of aggression - and why do you consider this to be an indication of intelligence, of all things!? Why do you consider their current response to be a failure of intelligence?"

I do not hope for an improvement of agression- only an improvement in the REACTION to it. I see that as intelligent, "for all things", because it is more intelligent to flee when one hacks at you with a sword than to let him kill you. Their current respone is a failure because no intelligent creature would let himself suffer pain and die, esp in minecraft, when even the sheep (the stupidest mob in the game), will flee when attacked.

"In the very first place I will forever continue to fail to see why you would issue aggression toward the villagers."

If you still forever fail to see why I would efer attack villagers, let me say this- you take minecraft too seriously. You suffer perhaps from a case of "blockism" - the belief that minecraft is real, and that real life is a game.

"Perhaps your personal thought processes and behavior need examining."

You may think my processes need examining, but if you rant and rave over a simple suggestion to a GAME that isnt even close to real life and is MADE for entertainment, I could say the same for you, as well as recommend an asylum.

"There is more than enough evidence to be found throughout human history to see that violence is not an indication of intelligence, and our continued aggression is only proof of our profound stupidity."

I never indicated that violence is a sign of intelligence anywhere in my original post, only that a REACTION to it was.

"Don't attempt to muck up this nice game with that sort of rot.  Go play Borderlands or something.  Plenty of mad "villagers" there."

It would not "muck up the game with that sort of rot" as you put it, because I never stated any violence in my original post. You, in fact, are mucking up MY nice suggestion with your type of rot, being vicious and raging, with voracious and aggressive use of language. By the way, I personally HATE borderlands. Ive never played it, and never intend to. Nor do I want minecraft villagers to be crazy-just intelligent.

One more thing- I just noticed now that you were the same guy who responded really calmly earlier, and even with some humour in there. And now you have degenerated into an agressive raging ranter, with nothing to look to but delusion and repetition of various invalid accusations. I cannot help but feel sorry for you- even more sorry than I feel about the poor unintelligent villagers in minecraft. Minecraft is a game, I had to tell you, even though I didnt want to burst your bubble, and, there is already agression in the game that is FAR more violent than my proposal which wasnt violent at all.

View Postaminecraftguy00, on 21 November 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

This needs to be in the suggestions forums.

I know that now; when i posted this, i had no intention of suggesting it, only raising discussion. Is there any chance that a moderator would move this post into sugestions?
Posted Image

useless_lapis

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

you basically wan't to turn them into the civilians from the assassins creed series,which would be an improvement,i just hope the don't call the watch as i'm killing off the watch

Posted Image

I think i'm being given to much credit here

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Minecraft: kynarus

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

This needs to be more popular. Shameless bump.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

sugarmaster1
  • Minecraft: sugarmaster1

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I would like to answer all your accusations calmly, without agression like you had towards me.

"I still fail to see why they should defend themselves or even as to why you feel that should be the default response."

I did not state that they would defend themselves, only that if you attacked them with a weapon or tool, that they would flee, which already is the default response if they see a zombie, which is why I would consider that default.

"Why do you consider aggression or defensive reaction to be desirable responses?"

I do not consider aggression a desirable response; nowhere did I say that the villagers would EVER fight back. A defensive fleeing I would consider default, because anyone with intelligence would rather live than be slaughtered with a weapon or tool (well most people anyways; maybe not you.).

"What exactly do you like that makes villagers your favorite mob, and why would you attack and kill them if that were in fact true? "

What do i like in villagers that makes them my favorite? Well, for one, they seemed to me a chance to interact with a creature that could be truly intelligent-I was still sadly dissapointed, but they still seem to me that if they live in houses and wear clothes, that they should be intelligent. If something is your favorite mob, does not mean you will not kill it, anyone who's favorite mob is a creeper would know what I mean. I would do it to see their reaction, to see the AI at work, for I happen to be interested in game designing and AI.

"I wouldn't like to be your friend irl if this is the mentality you espouse."

So, if you do not like the mentality I just showed you, which is interest in computer AI systems, then I don't know what isolated island you are from, if you hate anyone who takes an interest in programming.

"What is it you gain in attacking them?"

What do I gain in attacking them? Seeing their reactions. Also, see my thread in suggestions subgroup, "villager bounty".

"Why would you hope for the "improvement" of aggression - and why do you consider this to be an indication of intelligence, of all things!? Why do you consider their current response to be a failure of intelligence?"

I do not hope for an improvement of agression- only an improvement in the REACTION to it. I see that as intelligent, "for all things", because it is more intelligent to flee when one hacks at you with a sword than to let him kill you. Their current respone is a failure because no intelligent creature would let himself suffer pain and die, esp in minecraft, when even the sheep (the stupidest mob in the game), will flee when attacked.

"In the very first place I will forever continue to fail to see why you would issue aggression toward the villagers."

If you still forever fail to see why I would efer attack villagers, let me say this- you take minecraft too seriously. You suffer perhaps from a case of "blockism" - the belief that minecraft is real, and that real life is a game.

"Perhaps your personal thought processes and behavior need examining."

You may think my processes need examining, but if you rant and rave over a simple suggestion to a GAME that isnt even close to real life and is MADE for entertainment, I could say the same for you, as well as recommend an asylum.

"There is more than enough evidence to be found throughout human history to see that violence is not an indication of intelligence, and our continued aggression is only proof of our profound stupidity."

I never indicated that violence is a sign of intelligence anywhere in my original post, only that a REACTION to it was.

"Don't attempt to muck up this nice game with that sort of rot.  Go play Borderlands or something.  Plenty of mad "villagers" there."

It would not "muck up the game with that sort of rot" as you put it, because I never stated any violence in my original post. You, in fact, are mucking up MY nice suggestion with your type of rot, being vicious and raging, with voracious and aggressive use of language. By the way, I personally HATE borderlands. Ive never played it, and never intend to. Nor do I want minecraft villagers to be crazy-just intelligent.

One more thing- I just noticed now that you were the same guy who responded really calmly earlier, and even with some humour in there. And now you have degenerated into an agressive raging ranter, with nothing to look to but delusion and repetition of various invalid accusations. I cannot help but feel sorry for you- even more sorry than I feel about the poor unintelligent villagers in minecraft. Minecraft is a game, I had to tell you, even though I didnt want to burst your bubble, and, there is already agression in the game that is FAR more violent than my proposal which wasnt violent at all.

Mm hmm, I agree, all your suggestions would be good to be added. I can't imagine grabbing a shovel and hitting a guy in the street, and he just stands there.

Bakedtoast

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I know. It really gets on your nerves, doesnt it?
I would REALLY love to see improvements to the villagers.
Posted Image

BurntBurger

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

I like assassin's creed too, and I think that if villagers do get AI sort of like the civilians in assassin's creed, it would be a good improvement.

nolanstar

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

support, maybie iron golems nearby could walk in between you and a villager if you are fighting, sort of breaking up the fight, if you hit them when they break up a fight, they will hit you once.

Immortus
  • Location: (England) Behind you. That's right, I am invisible.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I think this would be a good addition to the game. I mean, if a blocky dude started to attack me with a sword made of iron then I would at least run away, at worst whack him on the head. With one of my emeralds.

Anyway, awesome idea, Support.
If you like an epic adventure, why not check out my Minecraft fan-fic, Lord of Shadows? (Click on banner)
Posted Image

Runick
    Runick

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Minecraft: Runic47

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Great Suggestion is Great.
You have my support.
You shall not pass! - Gandalf the Grey vanquishing the Balrog

Bakedtoast

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I always knew people would like this idea! I mean, who likes to see a minecraft mob, that is supposed to (somewhat) represent humans in minecraft, acting so stupidly? And who, playing the assassin's creed series, actually dislikes the AI and response systems of the villagers?
Posted Image