• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do you Feel About Optional Quests in Minecraft?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Superintendent
  • Minecraft: Bocaj1000
  • Xbox:Trio of Kings

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys, I am doing a suggestion on the forums soon, and I need to know. Should there be optional quests you can get froom villagers? You would get rewarded with items and/or XP.

Thanks for answering!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

LynxChuChu
  • Minecraft: LynxDoom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Wasn't Jeb planning something like this already? If not, then I wouldn't mind it as long as they weren't all just "Fetch this" quests. Maybe add in some more bosses that the villagers could ask for you to go kill/have young villagers get lost and you have to save them from a wolves den.

Posted Image

LynxDoom: Vampyre, Monster Slayer & Exceptional Lover

Raynbow
    Raynbow

Farlander

• Members
  • 15858 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Technically, this is a suggestion in it's own ways Posted Image
But yeah, I haven't been keeping up with MC news so if Jeb isn't already planning this, it would be a pretty decent idea.

Dwarvenhero81

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

No. Minecraft isn't some MMORPG.
Are you planning to make suggestion? check the search bar first.

JoseTheInfinite
  • Minecraft: Stasis2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostDwarvenhero81, on 20 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Agreed.
Minecraft shouldnt become a freakin mmo.
~i dont run away from you....i walk slowly and it kills me that you dont care enough to stop me......You think this is truly the end hero NAH it has only just begun!

Posted Image

Villanelo
    Villanelo

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2225 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I would never use them, but since they are optional, I wouldn't care if they were added.

I mean... I still haven't even entered a village, and I don't think I will any time soon, so... any addition to them is not going to affect me in any way.
Juega las cartas que te da el momento. Mañana es solo un adverbio de tiempo.

nivram
    nivram

Ghast Hunter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2584 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

If I may. I recommend that optional quests not be added to Minecraft. Let's let this suggestion ride for a while.

Marv

Cruncheon
  • Minecraft: Crucheon

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Ehh, I prefer it more if I can create my own quests.
And by that I mean just adventuring.

Talfreo
    Talfreo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Minecraft: Talfreo
  • Xbox:Ceratay

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostJoseTheInfinite, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Agreed.

Well, I'd hate to burst your bubble, but Minecraft is an MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online.) Besides, we're not talking about currency or leveling or special skills that will make it a "real deal RPG". We're just talking about some things that will derive away from the typical rut we all go through. That's not gamebreaking. Of course, there's going to be the whole "OMFG I HATE THIS SO MUCH." and people will still accuse Minecraft becoming an MMORPG -- Which it will never be in Vanilla terms. It will still be a Creative Survival Sandbox.

Headed back to the main point at hand... I actually wouldn't mind doing it. I mean, the problem would be to gather proper rewards that aren't equipment/diamonds/emeralds. But, it can be done. It'll just take thought.

If one has fun, then they are doing what they intended to do. If one is a player, then they intend to play the game. If one is griefer, then they intend to grief. Therefore, a player has fun playing the game, and a griefer has fun griefing.

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts
  • Minecraft: Jetra

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'd prefer side quests to the current trading system. However, we'd need to have a bit more variety in the NPC market. However, we'd need to balance the system in some way. I mean, if they ask for wheat, guess what? There's tons of it.

Maybe changing the ore spawn code a bit would help in order to make quests feasible.

View PostDwarvenhero81, on 20 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online. Technically it is since now your client is a server, therefore online. Plus you have SMP so....

RPG = Role Playing Game. Dude, you are having adventures as an alter ego. That's pretty much what defines and RPG (Those of you that are about to preach about leveling and quests and medieval dungeons, I've got news for you. Those are RPG elements. Look at adventure maps, you are playing an RPG in them. You can have a classless, level-less RPG system.)

Posted Image

Talfreo
    Talfreo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostJetra, on 20 November 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

I'd prefer side quests to the current trading system. However, we'd need to have a bit more variety in the NPC market. However, we'd need to balance the system in some way. I mean, if they ask for wheat, guess what? There's tons of it.

Maybe changing the ore spawn code a bit would help in order to make quests feasible.

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online. Technically it is since now your client is a server, therefore online. Plus you have SMP so....

RPG = Role Playing Game. Dude, you are having adventures as an alter ego. That's pretty much what defines and RPG (Those of you that are about to preach about leveling and quests and medieval dungeons, I've got news for you. Those are RPG elements. Look at adventure maps, you are playing an RPG in them. You can have a classless, level-less RPG system.)

My thanks for taking the time to explain what MMO, RPG, and MMORPG means in context to everything. It's pretty annoying to listen to people complain about how Minecraft is "becoming an MMORPG" even though it was one in even the earliest stages of its development.

And for people who are inevitably going to challenge us with "Where's the Role?" Well, if you go by the earlier stages of development... "You're an unknown man named Steve who has beached on the shore of an unknown land. You have no idea where you are, or how you got here. All you know is that you're alive, and you have to build a shelter and survive the nights to come." So right there, you have a Role, the first key factor to a RPG. What's the goal? Well, in the game, there's no set goal (Except for killing the Enderdragon), but that goal is anything you put it to be. So again, there's your goal, the second key factor to an RPG. Put it together...

You play as the role of a man named Steve, and you have a goal to reach, which can be anything.

Logically, you have an RPG. A classless, leveless one, but an RPG nonetheless.

If one has fun, then they are doing what they intended to do. If one is a player, then they intend to play the game. If one is griefer, then they intend to grief. Therefore, a player has fun playing the game, and a griefer has fun griefing.

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostTalfreo, on 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

My thanks for taking the time to explain what MMO, RPG, and MMORPG means in context to everything. It's pretty annoying to listen to people complain about how Minecraft is "becoming an MMORPG" even though it was one in even the earliest stages of its development.

And for people who are inevitably going to challenge us with "Where's the Role?" Well, if you go by the earlier stages of development... "You're an unknown man named Steve who has beached on the shore of an unknown land. You have no idea where you are, or how you got here. All you know is that you're alive, and you have to build a shelter and survive the nights to come." So right there, you have a Role, the first key factor to a RPG. What's the goal? Well, in the game, there's no set goal (Except for killing the Enderdragon), but that goal is anything you put it to be. So again, there's your goal, the second key factor to an RPG. Put it together...

You play as the role of a man named Steve, and you have a goal to reach, which can be anything.

Logically, you have an RPG. A classless, leveless one, but an RPG nonetheless.

Not a problem. I have had this discussion with my brother who's a massive tabletop RPG geek. As to it being leveless, it no longer is thanks to Full Release. As for class? I don't know, but I guess there is some class because you can either be a miner, farmer, woodlogger, architect, whatever. But, I would love to think of it as classless since those I have mentioned are just mutually agreed upon.

Posted Image

Talfreo
    Talfreo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostJetra, on 20 November 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Not a problem. I have had this discussion with my brother who's a massive tabletop RPG geek. As to it being leveless, it no longer is thanks to Full Release. As for class? I don't know, but I guess there is some class because you can either be a miner, farmer, woodlogger, architect, whatever. But, I would love to think of it as classless since those I have mentioned are just mutually agreed upon.

Hah. Tabletops are fun if you can dedicate the time. But, being where I am, I can't get time. Rather, I have the time, but I don't have a vehicle or a license needed to go out and do that kind of stuff with friends. It's not fun, being on a military base. Posted Image But in full seriousness, I understand where you're coming from. Yes, there are "levels" in sense, but not static and permanent. You can consider that you can be various "classes" on Minecraft, but at the end of the day, if you can easily go from one task to another in a seamless fashion, then they're not really there. While a Bukkit plugin can have leveling of various "skills," you can still ease in and out of one skill to another. So technically, while they're may be "classes," the lines are so thin and blurred, they don't exactly exist, as they're all accepted into one large thing by community standards.

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostTalfreo, on 20 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Hah. Tabletops are fun if you can dedicate the time. But, being where I am, I can't get time. Rather, I have the time, but I don't have a vehicle or a license needed to go out and do that kind of stuff with friends. It's not fun, being on a military base. Posted Image But in full seriousness, I understand where you're coming from. Yes, there are "levels" in sense, but not static and permanent. You can consider that you can be various "classes" on Minecraft, but at the end of the day, if you can easily go from one task to another in a seamless fashion, then they're not really there. While a Bukkit plugin can have leveling of various "skills," you can still ease in and out of one skill to another. So technically, while they're may be "classes," the lines are so thin and blurred, they don't exactly exist, as they're all accepted into one large thing by community standards.

Agreed. Back to the main topic, what kind of quests should there be? I think that building an X amount of homes would be nice if they implemented it properly or finding out what the zombie across the hill took from a villager chest.

Posted Image

Superintendent
  • Minecraft: Bocaj1000
  • Xbox:Trio of Kings

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostLynxChuChu, on 20 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Wasn't Jeb planning something like this already? If not, then I wouldn't mind it as long as they weren't all just "Fetch this" quests. Maybe add in some more bosses that the villagers could ask for you to go kill/have young villagers get lost and you have to save them from a wolves den.
Thats so funny! That was an example quest I was thinking of yesterday! Like a villager with text menu saying: Help! My son was kidnapped by wolves! Please help me!

And yes, another example I though of was: Can you please slay the boss underground beneath our village.

But just because game has quests doesn't mean it is RPG. It just adds optional things to do to get items. You dont have to them or even care about them. There just for peiple who want to do cool things like conquering dungeons and bosses.
Posted Image

figgis_man
  • Minecraft: rockhog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostJoseTheInfinite, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Agreed.
Agreed also.

Posted Image

Please wait... Attempting to be a banana

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

View Postfiggis_man, on 20 November 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Agreed also.

Do you play SMP? if so, your arguement is invalid.

Posted Image

BlockApes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

We don't want Minecraft to become like WoW... why ruin the sandbox aspect of it that gives it its charm?

Jetra
    Jetra

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2159 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostBlockApes, on 20 November 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

We don't want Minecraft to become like WoW... why ruin the sandbox aspect of it that gives it its charm?

It still is sandbox in the fact that you have tools to create adventures. The problem is you people seem to have an archaic view of RPGs. Guess what? Call of Duty is an RPG in the fact you play as Alex Mason or Raul Mendez. Even Halo 4 is an RPG because you are playing as the Master Chief of Spartans. Is your mind blown?

Posted Image

mattig89ch
  • Minecraft: mattig89ch

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I tell you what, I'd like to see something like, if you help out villagers, the village grows.  Like, they'll build more houses, the population will grow (to the point where theres at least one iron golem around), and if there is a smith around he'll have diamond stuff for sale.

To be honest, this wouldn't ruin the game for me, since its so rare for me to find a village, that once I do find one, I tend to set up shop in/near it.

Although, now that I think of it, if you just trade with them more often, I think they should be able to grow.  So...perhaps that could be a thing?  Like, you trade alot of your wheat, you go down into a nearby mine of yours, you come back up and another house has poped up, with a kid running around.