Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Seeking advice on Adventure map building

adventure map help

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

So I am new to making maps. I am aiming to make an RPG style adventure map. I have MCedit and a lot of sethblings filters. However there are some fundimental things I need to know.

What is the best way to start out making my adventure map?
-scratch build starting with MCedit?
-create a map using creative mode?
-create a map using survival + allowing cheats to toggle between creative and survival?

What is the best method for testing things out in a map?
When playing in the map to test (because I am unaware of how to otherwise) the things you do effect the map, meaning I will constantly need to replace what I have done.

Is there a filter for MCedit that lets you select and area and change/ replace its durability?

If someone could be my compass and point me in the right direction I could use the guidance.

Thanks a ton,
Dogfender

Register or log in to remove.

jancheung10

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

First i am making my own rpg style adventure map too
I want to tell u that if u have at least 2 computers u can just drag the save file to the other computer and
test it,
Secondly i advice u to install too many items mod, the change the map to only survival
so player wont be able to change it to creative and cheat (most likely)
and to the mcedit question i cant answer u because i am starting to learn it too
btw if u want to make a rpg style map u can download noopes custom npc mod
it really helps alout with these kind of things
hope it helped

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for the advice. I would really like to not use any mods for my map though, I dont want people to have to a mod and keep that mod updated with minecraft in order to play the map =/

This is of course assuming that the mod used to change it from creative to survival will require people to also need the mod. But if it just used to just switch it survival would they need the mod to operate the map then?

Reflex_Donutz
  • Minecraft: Reflex_Donutz
  • Xbox:Reflex Frozen

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

View Postjancheung10, on 20 November 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

First i am making my own rpg style adventure map too
I want to tell u that if u have at least 2 computers u can just drag the save file to the other computer and
test it,
Secondly i advice u to install too many items mod, the change the map to only survival
so player wont be able to change it to creative and cheat (most likely)
and to the mcedit question i cant answer u because i am starting to learn it too
btw if u want to make a rpg style map u can download noopes custom npc mod
it really helps alout with these kind of things
hope it helped
You can easily change the level.dat to be Survival Mode and No Cheats only. This is always changable by other people that download the map if they have some knowledge. I change gamemodes all the time without mods because I want to see something in creative mode to look how he/she did something. You cannot prevent this...
And Custom NPC mod? Does this change the trades of NPC's? With MCEdit you can do this on Vanilla. And you can give the NPC potion effects so that it won't die.
So obviously it isn't neccessary to use any kind of mods in a map to get these things.

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Oh ok. So how would I go about changing the level.dat?

romangvk
  • Minecraft: romangvk

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Get davidee's in-game nbt edit. Works like a charm and it's more powerful than sethbling's filters.

[1.4.5][Forge][SSP+SMP] In-Game NBTEdit! Edit NBT Tag...
Posted Image

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

looks interesting, however for someone to play the map will they have to also have the mod?

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

You don't need the in-game version... It is easier but I think the standard NBTedit is faster and it is really easy to use: You open NBTedit, then you go to your save you want to edit click level.dat then it opens a file then it says "gamemode: 1" (when you have creative mode enabled) and "AllowCheats: 1" (when you have cheats enabled) just change the numbers 1 to 0 and they will be Survival Mode and Cheats disabled... If this sounds too hard you can try the in-game version, it is a mod, but the mod is not needed to play the map.

Do you maybe want to work together? (asked this to 2 people but they haven't really responded yet) I can do all the editting stuff and I have a Bukkit Server with WorldEdit in it so it's easy to build the map. The server is on 1.4.2 though because Bukkit hasn't updated to 1.4.5 yet. Go look at my thread to see what I can do with MCEdit Posted Image I also thought of the clue finding kind of map but forget about that, lol.

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Honestly I am very new to this, and will be doing it at leasure and infrequently. Just trying to get some info on a 'standard' of how things work and what people use.

So you use nbt edit AND mcedit to work on the same map?

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

MCedit is a program for building stuff quickly and filter things. With filters you can make stuff like mobs wearing armour and having potion effects forever, or make them not de-spawn. You can do alot more stuff with MCEdit like change the name of an item (without having it to be italic Font like you get with the Anvil) you can give the item name a colour you can even add a description for the item, you can get custom potions like Strength 10, Nausia 2 and Blindness 1 that lasts forever. Custom spawners, custom villager trades and more. You can make books and change the title and Author of the book so it doesn't say your name. If you want to learn more about MCEdit just go to sethbling's channel and look at his videos about MCEdit and it's filters. NBTedit is used for changing names, gamemodes, amounts etc. but most things you can do with NBTedit you're able to do with MCEdit and MCEdit is probably much easier. You should just experiment a bit and install new awesome filters Posted Image Hope you can figure it out. WorldEdit is also good for building (For single player you will have to download the mod SinglePlayerCommands which includes WorldEdit) you do not need the mod to play the map. With WorldEdit you can make mountains big buildings very quick etc. It is easy to use with commands and it is in-game just look it up on Youtube or something. You might know alot of these things already or none at all, just trying to help as much as I can Posted Image

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Great thank you. Yeah I have visited sethblings webpage and watched his videos. But there are still some questions which I cant find online, like when trying to change a mobs health with a filter. Why is it a negative number, and how is that number actually converted to hitpoints?

It doesn't explain if you go higher in negative numbers does it = more hp or if u go lowering in negative numbers is it more hp.  Using that as an example of some of the things I cannot find and still have questions for.

Like if i want to test the map do i need to just make a copy of it? I am still unsure of how to change it from creative, to survival to test what ive done.

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Ive actually downloaded a map and used mcedit to try and see what they did, but it doesnt seem to want to show anything than geric info. maybe im doing something wrong?

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm not sure about the health thing I'll try and find it out and I'll tell you then (if I have figured it out). You could just give it an unlimited (like 10000000 seconds) resistance 1 potion and it will automaticly be harder to kill, but then you have particles around the mob you might not want. I don't really care about the particles, when I try to make a mob harder to kill I usually give it other potion effects as well so it will have particles anyway... To be honest, I didn't even know about changing health of mobs, I guess you can find it at SetSpawnerProperties? Otherwise I have no idea how to do it lol.  If you want to test the map you made, just make a copy of it and change the gametype (for testing you could just use cheats to change your gametype...) If you want to know more about anything but you can't find it on Google then just try and ask it on the forums, usually works for me. What other questions did you have, then?

View Postdogfender, on 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Ive actually downloaded a map and used mcedit to try and see what they did, but it doesnt seem to want to show anything than geric info. maybe im doing something wrong?

What did you want to see? How they did the more health thing? I guess they just used Resistance potions then.

dogfender

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

how do i change the level.dat so i can change the map from Creative, to Survival, so I can test.

Does anyone use nbt edit and mcedit? Like work in nbt edit for some things, then load it in mcedit to do other?

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postdogfender, on 20 November 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

how do i change the level.dat so i can change the map from Creative, to Survival, so I can test.

Does anyone use nbt edit and mcedit? Like work in nbt edit for some things, then load it in mcedit to do other?
Alot of people use it both, they are both very different programs, with NBTedit you change numbers and codes and texts, MCEdit you are actually in the World.

First of all just download and install NBTedit here, then open it. Now you'll get a small screen, between the 'New Page' button and the 'Save' button you see an Open File button (Or you can just hit File > Open...) click that. Now just type %appdata% in the top thingy. Then hit .minecraft > saves. Now click on the world you want to change, then click the level.dat file in the world. Now it opens a file in NBTedit. Double-click on Data: 24 entries, now you will see a list of things.

- allowCommands:
- hardcore:
- initialized:
- MapFeatures:
- raining:
- thundering:
- GameType:
- generatorVersion:
etc.

There should be a 0 or a 1 behind those. 0 usually means 'false' and 1 'true'
Change 'allowCommands' to 1 to allow cheats and to 0 to disable cheats in the world.
Change 'GameType' to 1 for Creative Mode and to 0 for Survival Mode.
You can do alot more stuff with this program. If it seems to hard you can just watch a tutorial online. Oh, and don't forget to save it before closing :P. There is also a program called GamemodeSwitcher which changes it for you automaticly but then you cannot change Cheats (at least not with the GamemodeSwitcher I know of).

DarkHeirUK
  • Minecraft: DarkHeir

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Well i agree with most of what has been said before and i personally like a mix of survival and creative builds, depending on what "age" your map will set in, like "medieval"; "steam-punk"; "industrial"; and so on will reflect your building designs. What most people find when they build in creative or using mcedit, is that they make their designs over complicated or just doing a certain thing because they can, how ever if you build in survival (maybe spawn items in with TMI) your designs are usually more down to earth which i personally prefer as they feel like they have a certain quality of the creator.
Also, if you need to constantly test things, just make various copies of the original save in your ".minecraft" folder and keep the original.

So good luck and keep the forum udated with your progress :) and if you need testers, just ask :)

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostDarkHeirUK, on 21 November 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Well i agree with most of what has been said before and i personally like a mix of survival and creative builds, depending on what "age" your map will set in, like "medieval"; "steam-punk"; "industrial"; and so on will reflect your building designs. What most people find when they build in creative or using mcedit, is that they make their designs over complicated or just doing a certain thing because they can, how ever if you build in survival (maybe spawn items in with TMI) your designs are usually more down to earth which i personally prefer as they feel like they have a certain quality of the creator.
Also, if you need to constantly test things, just make various copies of the original save in your ".minecraft" folder and keep the original.

So good luck and keep the forum udated with your progress Posted Image and if you need testers, just ask Posted Image
So basicly handmade builds are better? Posted Image If that's what you mean then I totally agree with you. I only use MCEdit for filters and WorldEdit for Mountains and other huge things which you wouldn't do using blocks. Would you build a 100 tall mountain using blocks? I don't get why you would use TMI instead of Creative Mode, though.

dogfender

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I am really wishing they would impliment a humanoid mob, similar to a zombie, skeleton or z-pigman that could hang out in daylight. Could really use a generic day time badguy, like an orc or something lol. really hard to make a rpg map when u have to keep it night, or all the bad humanoid guys in dungeons =/

Reflex_Donutz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postdogfender, on 21 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I am really wishing they would impliment a humanoid mob, similar to a zombie, skeleton or z-pigman that could hang out in daylight. Could really use a generic day time badguy, like an orc or something lol. really hard to make a rpg map when u have to keep it night, or all the bad humanoid guys in dungeons =/
With McEdit you can get unlimited potion effects on mobs remember? If you give them unlimited Fire Resistance then they will not combust :P They will be able to live in day. They won't catch on fire at all. They will have alot of particle though because the fire resistance potion effect is being used every time when they are in daylight.

dogfender

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

wont they still have the fire burn particle? and ive figured out that by making the whole map the mooshroom land, no mobs will spawn but the cows. odd looking, but at least i can have mob spawners spawn mobs every 5mins or so, which would allow for requesting of collecting dropped mats for turns ins for money and prizes.

Also need to findout how to download/ get more player skulls to use on mobs as helmets so i can give zombies the look of a differnt kind of monster lol