• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.7.2] [FORGE] MapWriter - An open source mini-map!

• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

POPULAR

MapWriter Mod

Posted Image
In game mini map mode (circular map mode enabled in map GUI -> options menu)

Posted Image
In game full screen GUI.

Posted Image
Zooming out to see the world.

Features:
  • In game mini-map for multiplayer and singleplayer.
  • Client side (server does not need to have the mod installed).
  • The areas you explore are saved and can be viewed by scrolling or zooming the map, even when you are in a completely different part of the world.
  • Full screen map GUI. Set waypoints by right clicking, pan map by click dragging, zoom with the mouse wheel.
  • Rotating circular mini map mode. Can be enabled in the options GUI.
  • Colours for blocks automatically generated from the block's texture.
  • Support for custom texture packs.
  • Support for blocks added by mods.
  • Biomes now coloured appropriately.
  • Entire map can be written to a PNG image.
  • Explored chunks are also saved in Anvil format from multiplayer servers, so you can view the world using tools such as Eihort.
  • When in the Nether the mini map shows your effective location in the Overworld. This makes placing portals easier.
  • Underground map mode (vastly improved in 2.0.14).
  • All block colours configurable, including extended block ID's.

If you can't resist walking to every corner of the world in games for no other purpose than filling your map, then this is the mod for you.

It functions like the maps in many RPG's, not only showing your immediate surroundings, but also everywhere you've been before.

Another feature is that once you are done exploring for the day you can press 'm' then 'p' to create a PNG image of everywhere you have explored!

Note: Maps will need to be rebuilt when upgrading to 2.0.12 Press 'M' to enter the map GUI, then zoom out and press 'R' to rebuild the visible regions. May take a long time on large maps (it might be a good idea to do smaller sections at a time by not zooming all the way out).

New in 2.0.15: Texture support. See this post for more info.

Download:
MapWriter 2.1.1 (Mediafire) (for Minecraft 1.7.2)
MapWriter 2.0.17 (Mediafire) (for Minecraft 1.6.4)
Source Code (GitHub)

Installation:
  • The 'MapWriter-<version>.zip' goes into the mods folder at:
    '%APPDATA%\.minecraft\mods'
  • Forge is required. Download Forge Latest from minecraftforge.net.
    Installation instructions for Forge can be found on the Forge wiki.

In Game Key Bindings:
  • 'n' toggles mini-map between normal mode, large mode, and hidden.
  • 'm' opens/closes the interactive map GUI.
  • ',' toggles which marker group is shown.
  • '.' teleports to nearest visible marker in the direction you are facing.
  • 'page up' zooms out.
  • 'page down' zooms in.
  • 'u' toggles underground mode.

In game key bindings can be changed via the normal Minecraft controls menu:
  Press Escape -> Options... -> Controls...

Map GUI Key Bindings:
Spoiler:

Configuration file options:
Spoiler:

Map size and position configuration:
Spoiler:

Information on files created and used:
Spoiler:

Customizing Block Colours:
Spoiler:

Old versions:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Acknowledgements:
Spoiler:

AnvilMapper Tool
Spoiler:

Both MapWriter and AnvilMapper are open-source. Use the code from each in your own mods indiscriminately. You may also redistribute either in your own Mod Packs. I don't care about credit.

Register or log in to remove.

Cortash55
  • Minecraft: Cortash55

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

I like it! Looks preety neat. What you can do to improve is add a function to show the nether! Posted Image

EDIT: May I spotlight this? It looks preety cool.

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, definitely would be good to make the Nether viewable offline in the Google Maps viewer.
I would rather have the overworld always shown in game however, as I only really use the Nether for fast travel.

I don't know what spotlighting is, but sure!

Cortash55
  • Minecraft: Cortash55

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

it means showing off your creation with a video showing off the features and tells people what it does and stuff. Its basicly telling everyone about your mod with a video.

And thanks btw Posted Image

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

So... converted MapWriter to work with the Forge API today.

I had to make it a Coremod as Forge did not seem to provide a way to notify a mod when a chunk is filled with new data.
In the original non-Forge version I simply modified 'Chunk.fillChunk' to call an 'onChunkFilled' method in my mod.

To get the same functionality under Forge without modifying base files, I needed to add a ClassTransformer to modify the bytecode of the Chunk.fillChunk method at runtime.

So that's the reason it is a Coremod.

It seems to work fine with Minecraft 1.4.5 and Forge 6.4.0.395 but I haven't tested with many different combinations of mods.

If it doesn't work for you please post here and i'll see what I can do to fix it.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

I like this mod a lot. It works with quite a few mods. At least I never got any errors from running them together. However I would like to know how you get the Anvil Mapper to work. I dont understand how you get it to work in the google map viewer. Could you explain how you make  get the files to be read or how to install it or any programs you need to see the map files?

nworB_cirE
    nworB_cirE

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Minecraft: nworB_cirE

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Nice! Add waypoints (with teleporting only in creative) and coordinates and it'll replace REI's for me.
Posted Image
PLEASE! Learn to use spoiler tags, especially when posting crash reports: [spoiler]YOUR TEXT HERE[ /spoiler]

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

@Mas7er
That's good to hear that the mini map mod works with some other mods.

About AnvilMapper, I seem to have made a mistake in the example 'index.html'.
Usually you copy the world directory you want mapped to the AnvilMapper directory and rename it to 'world'.
Then run the 'run.bat' script to generate the images in '.\world\images_surface' and '.\world\images_caves'.

The mistake is that the 'index.html' page looks for the generated images in '.\images_surface\' rather than '.\world\images_surface'.

I have been manually moving the generated 'images_surface' and 'images_caves' in the world directory to the base directory for testing, but forgot to change the web page for release. Sorry!

I will upload a fixed version ASAP but for now just manually move the 'images_surface' and 'images_caves' to the same directory as 'index.html' (or modify 'index.html' if you know javascript).

@nworB_cirE

You can place markers at the moment by setting the colour with the comma key, and then pressing the period key to set/remove a marker of that colour. Are waypoints a lot different from these markers?

Hrm... I'd rather not add a GUI for selecting which waypoint to teleport to. Maybe chat commands would be ok?
For example:
  /mwset	   for setting and naming markers.
  /mwdelete  for removing markers.
  /mwlist	   for listing markers.
  /mwtp		for teleporting to a marker.

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

@Mas7er

That's good to hear that the mini map mod works with some other mods.

For AnvilMapper, you need to generate the images from your world before the Google Maps viewer in 'index.html' works.

Single player worlds are found at:
  %APPDATA%\.minecraft\saves\<world_name>

If you are running the MapWriter mod it will save explored areas in multiplayer worlds to:
  <minecraft_exe_dir>\mapwriter\<world_name>

You can either copy the <world_name> directory to the AnvilMapper folder and rename it 'world'.
Or you can modify the 'run.bat' script to point to the world directory you want mapped.
For example, a modified run.bat:

java AnvilMapper "C:\apps\minecraft\mapwriter\multiplayer world.25565"
pause

Note the double quotes which are required if the path contains spaces.

Then run the 'run.bat' script and it will generate images in 'images_surface' and 'images_caves'.

Once it has finished open 'index.html' in your web browser and it should show the world in the Google Maps viewer.

If it doesn't check that that there are PNG images at the locations:
.\images_surface\<zoom_level>\<x>.<z>.png
.\images_caves\<zoom_level>\<x>.<z>.png

Where zoom_level is 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4, and x and z are numbers.

@nworB_cirE

You can place markers at the moment by setting the colour with the comma key, and then pressing the period key to set/remove a marker of that colour. Are waypoints a lot different from these markers?

Hrm... I'd rather not add a GUI for selecting which waypoint to teleport to. Maybe chat commands would be ok?
For example:
/mwset
  for setting and naming markers.
/mwdelete
  for removing markers.
/mwlist
  for listing markers.
/mwtp
  for teleporting to a marker.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Awesome thanks. Ill test it out.

Right now Im running Treecapitator, Industrial Craft 2 Beta, Millenaire, Extra Biomes XL, Reis Minimap, Matmos, Desired Blocks, Infernal mobs, Backpacks, Damage Indicators and Multicrafting Table.

The only issue I have is with Millenaire which is the m key. M for millenaire is missions and m for your mod is the map. I figured out holding shift m alters it but it would be nice if you could develop a config file or a menu for changing keys around.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Also I know it says it in the readme.txt in the anvilmapper folder but I think more people would try it if you said to extract the anvilmapper.zip. I honestly thought that you stuck it in the coremods folder. Just a little advice.

Just a quick question. Is it possible to zoom any further on the google maps image?

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah... the documentation and usage instructions are a bit meager. Another item on my to do list.

Zooming out or in?

Zooming out further is definitely possible, and would require only a small adjustment in the source code.

Zooming in further is a bit trickier.
At every zoom level a whole new set of images needs to be generated, and at every zoom level further in there are 4 times as many images as the last level.
So the zoom level is limited at the moment to reduce the number of images that need to be generated.

There should be a way in Google Maps to zoom in without needing a new set of images, by scaling the previous level in the browser, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

So at the moment you can't zoom in further unfortunately.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Darn. Its just a tad hard to see whats on the map so far.

I dont know if its minecraft itself or your mod but the google images seems to not register in the correct colors? When looking at a snow biome or a desert biome its almost like looking at one color. Do you know if that's just the way minecraft makes the maps or would it be possible to distinguish the colors better by darkening and sharpening up the image?

waysidemedal
  • Minecraft: waysidemedal

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Nice mod =D

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

@Mas7er

That's strange... Are the colours you can see the same as in the screenshot at the top of the page?
The screenshot is mainly of a desert Biome but there is snow in the top right corner for comparison.

I have used mostly the same colours that Minecraft uses, but it is pretty easy to change them manually.
Open 'AnvilMapper.java' in a text editor, use Notepad++ if the line endings are messed up.

At line 51 you should see:
  public static final int BC_AIR = 0x00000000;
  public static final int BC_STONE = 0xff707070;
  public static final int BC_GRAVEL = 0xff716053;
  public static final int BC_GRASS = 0xff7fb238;
  public static final int BC_SAND = 0xfff7e9a3;
  public static final int BC_SSTONE = 0xfff5e38c;

The colour codes are normal RGB hex colours but with 0xff added to the start (the alpha channel).
If you change the colour of BC_SAND to 0xfff5e38c, it will render sand in a slightly darker yellow.
You might also need to change BC_SSTONE to something like 0xfff3de74 so that sandstone is different from normal sand.

Once you have made the changes, save the file and run 'compile.bat'.
If the script complains about not finding javac, you will need to download and install JDK 7 from Oracle.

Finally run 'run.bat' to regenerate the images and reload 'index.html' in your browser to view the changes.

nworB_cirE
    nworB_cirE

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Minecraft: nworB_cirE

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

View Postmapwriter, on 25 November 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

@nworB_cirE

For example:
/mwset
  for setting and naming markers.
/mwdelete
  for removing markers.
/mwlist
  for listing markers.
/mwtp
  for teleporting to a marker.

Yeah, so if I type
"/mwset home" it'll make a waypoint called home,
"/mwdel home" will delete it,
"/mwhide home" will hide it on the map, and
"/mwshow home" will show it. In creative,
"/mwtp home" will teleport you there,
"/mwtp home true" will allow teleporting,
"/mwtp home false" will disable teleporting.
"/mwlist" will print out a list of all waypoints, their coordinates, and whether they're enabled to teleport to or not.
Posted Image
PLEASE! Learn to use spoiler tags, especially when posting crash reports: [spoiler]YOUR TEXT HERE[ /spoiler]

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Sweet thanks a lot for that info.

The colors just looked way too bright for what the terrain actually was. Almost like it was several shades lighter. Dont know if you can alter it so the map in the corner displays the colors most closely to the actual terrain or not but it might be something to look into.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thought occured to me at work today but would it be possible to take this mod and mix it with a in game map that you can make and hang on a wall and be as big as the largest pictures you can get? That right there would make this mod stand above all other map mods

mapwriter
    mapwriter

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

@nworB_cirE

I've implemented chat commands for markers in version 1.2.
You can teleport to the nearest visible marker in the direction you are facing by pressing the '.' key.

Also added coordinates displayed underneath the map, you can switch them on or off using the /mwtogglecoords command.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Mas7er

Forgot to say before but you can change the default key binds using the main Minecraft menu.

About adding the map to in game pictures:
If you have access to the world files (single player or you are the server admin), it would definitely be possible.
Would only need to make AnvilMapper output data in the correct format and overwrite some in game maps.
It would be a bit low in resolution though (128x128 pixels per map), and if a player walked around with one of the maps the AnvilMapper data would be overwritten.
Still, definitely possible even without a mod.

Mas7er
    Mas7er

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I know nothing about creating my own mods. But a friend of my friend and I have always wanted to have a 4x4 "painting" of a map would be so sweet. How easy would it be to make it though? If its not a whole lot of trouble do you think you could whip something up for me to test?