• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.6.4][Forge] Cave-Gen mod 2.27_5 - New World type [New ruins roleplay system,LAN support]

world type cave ruins wasteland zones villages world generator survival apocalypse

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postjivix, on 27 November 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

I really like the difficulty of this. I was hoping to play this SMP with my friends, which will hopefully come soon (I got tons of errors when I put this into my server).

I decided to play this on Easy and it still turned out to be too difficult to play without dying a few times. Perhaps it was because I spawned incredibly far away from even a hut (which only had metal in it - no food). It wasn't the darkness that made it difficult - it was the combination of having no food AND having wood spawn on the ceiling/walls (I spawned far away from a jungle cave). I had to spend about 90% of my food bar just finding my first logs. Once I had those, I was able to make a hut with a chest so I could die and respawn.

Suggestions:
-I really like the stalagmites and stalagtites, but I think the cave torch should look different. Perhaps it could look like a bundle of sticks placed vertically on the ground, as if you wrapped them together to increase the brightness.

-Spawning with no food could be partially helped by adding a new "cave mushroom" that can be cooked and eaten for 3 food. The Cave Mushroom uncooked will poison (hp) for a few seconds and restore half the food. The cave mushroom could spawn randomly as long as it does not spawn within, say, 30 blocks of another cave mushroom, so it would require exploration to harvest. The initial density could be a bit higher though, for players just starting out or exploring new areas.
Red/brown mushrooms would grow out of control in the darkness of the cave, which would ruin the difficult nature of getting food.

-I noticed something odd about the lighting glitch. I could fix it around lava pits and such by placing a torch and removing it. But if I went out of render distance and came back, the glitch would be back. Perhaps there is some way to simulate placing/removing a light source to fix the glitch? I have played on other generated maps that did not have this issue, but they did also not have the same scale of caves that this mod does.

Comments:
I have been playing on this with Industrialcraft which has been immensely fun. I did notice that the IC2 ores do not spawn like the vanilla ones, but it hasn't been a huge break in the experience.

Fishing is definitely the most effective method early on. Fighting zombies is too tiring and unless you are very lucky you won't find any by searching around. Switch to zombies once you have some equipment and you are tired of fishing, hopefully you will get a potato or carrot alongside the rotten meat.

I really like the atmosphere this mod (and description) creates. I like feeling like the entire world is against me.

I probably won't add new type of mushroom, but I may add vanilla red and brown ones. I think that they wouln't grow out of control, because I can control their spawn rate.

The lighting glitch in underground is caused by the amount of generation. And generating another source of light whouldn't help at all. Think about it - it generates the whole lava pool, one lava block at a time. So generating more sources of light wouldn't make any difference.

IC2 ores won't spawn like vanilla ores and I can't do anything about it, because the generation code for these ores is in IC2 mod.

And I'm glad you like the mod :)

View PostManan6619, on 27 November 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

I definitely like that idea, it's much more realistic, but, ehh, the stalagmites and stalactites are already weird by glowing and giving glow shards, so I'd put this as a low priority (But still considerable) idea.

I think that too and I was thinking about removing the shards. I would probably keep the glowing effect of stalagmites and stalactites to prevent darkness, but I would remove the shards and lanterns.

What do you think abou that?

Btw. It seems that library is the favourite choice. Too bad, I already had plans for Inn before I posted the poll :D But we'll see what I add. :)
Posted Image

Divine smoker mod - Hookah in Minecraft: http://www.minecraft...ookahshisha-11/

Register or log in to remove.

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Minecraft: 123sendodo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Post-Reaper-, on 27 November 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

I think that too and I was thinking about removing the shards. I would probably keep the glowing effect of stalagmites and stalactites to prevent darkness, but I would remove the shards and lanterns.

What do you think abou that?

Btw. It seems that library is the favourite choice. Too bad, I already had plans for Inn before I posted the poll Posted Image But we'll see what I add. Posted Image

If you remove the shards and lanterns, then the players' world playing now may be ruined after updating. After removing shards and lanterns. My house will become dark. And the floor will have a hole on it. Also the time used on finding shards and lanterns will be wasted.
Check Out My Dragons!

Also check out my about me page. I wanted ppl to know more about me

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Well, these problems can be expected with any update to a mod ;)
Posted Image

Manan6619
  • Minecraft: Master_Manan

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, I wasn't campaigning for their removal; they're really useful....they could be a little more realistic. Maybe.
Posted Image Posted Image
Also, I've flipped shovel textures for Tinker's Construct for a  more realistic-looking animation, check here:
http://www.minecraft...hovel-textures/

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostManan6619, on 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Yeah, I wasn't campaigning for their removal; they're really useful....they could be a little more realistic. Maybe.

Changing their texture is good enough, sometimes.
Check Out My Dragons!

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostManan6619, on 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

That's the main problem. The dropping from stalactites and stalagmites in unrealistic. But I can't figure out better way. I don't want to add new block, so maybe trading with villagers or as loot in chests? I don't know.
Posted Image

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

View Post-Reaper-, on 27 November 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

That's the main problem. The dropping from stalactites and stalagmites in unrealistic. But I can't figure out better way. I don't want to add new block, so maybe trading with villagers or as loot in chests? I don't know.

I think if the texture of shards looks like yellow and orange flint. They may look better. If you want I may try the sprite of it.

I made two sprites
Posted Image
Check Out My Dragons!

GeneralEagleEye
  • Minecraft: Generaleagleeye

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

View Post123sendodo, on 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

I think if the texture of shards looks like yellow and orange flint. They may look better. If you want I may try the sprite of it.

I made two sprites
Posted Image
I want red flint in vanilla.... you are good...
Posted Image
Spoiler:

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostGeneralEagleEye, on 27 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I want red flint in vanilla.... you are good...

Use it. I don't mind. I'm not good. I just made pokemon sprites before

btw why there's less gravel and dirt in the cave world?

Edited by 123sendodo, 27 November 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Check Out My Dragons!

Stuboh95
    Stuboh95

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I just put a mod spotlight this up of the Outflow Gaming Network! Hopefully you'll enjoy! and maybe sticky it on your thread if you REALLY like it?

Manan6619
  • Minecraft: Master_Manan

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Post-Reaper-, on 27 November 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

Well the thing is, by the time you're able to trade with villagers, you won't need cave lanterns anymore because of torches. Cave lanterns were probably in the original mod to be your first lights instead of waiting in the darkness forever. Also, when you break a cave lantern, you don't get it back :( Don't know if that's a bug or not.
Posted Image Posted Image
Also, I've flipped shovel textures for Tinker's Construct for a  more realistic-looking animation, check here:
http://www.minecraft...hovel-textures/

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostManan6619, on 27 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well the thing is, by the time you're able to trade with villagers, you won't need cave lanterns anymore because of torches. Cave lanterns were probably in the original mod to be your first lights instead of waiting in the darkness forever. Also, when you break a cave lantern, you don't get it back :( Don't know if that's a bug or not.

You need to break them with pickaxes

View PostStuboh95, on 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

I just put a mod spotlight this up of the Outflow Gaming Network! Hopefully you'll enjoy! and maybe sticky it on your thread if you REALLY like it?

You are good to make a review but the mod is for 1.4.5
Check Out My Dragons!

Stuboh95
    Stuboh95

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

View Post123sendodo, on 27 November 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

You need to break them with pickaxes

You are good to make a review but the mod is for 1.4.5

We'll make the required changes to the thumbnail and it'll be as good as new :)

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

View Post123sendodo, on 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

I made two sprites
Posted Image

Hey thanks. You forgot to make the background transparent, but I fixed it.

View Post123sendodo, on 27 November 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Use it. I don't mind. I'm not good. I just made pokemon sprites before

btw why there's less gravel and dirt in the cave world?

I don't really understand the question. There was always lack of gravel in this mod. And there is plenty of dirt on the surface. If you ask why these don't generate naturally in caves, it is because that's the way I Am David Minecraft did it and I haven't changed it. But maybe I will. We'll see.

View PostStuboh95, on 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

[media][media]

Hey thanks! I added the video to the main post Posted Image Btw. I would love to see Let's play of this mod. Maybe when next update is out? Posted Image

View PostManan6619, on 27 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well the thing is, by the time you're able to trade with villagers, you won't need cave lanterns anymore because of torches. Cave lanterns were probably in the original mod to be your first lights instead of waiting in the darkness forever. Also, when you break a cave lantern, you don't get it back Posted Image Don't know if that's a bug or not.

Yeah, that's why I don't know how to solve this problem. But they will remain in the next update.
Posted Image

BlackBird1696
  • Location: The World of Minecraftia, Bringing New Civilizations into Being.
  • Minecraft: metakid96
  • Xbox:BlackBird1696

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

As per your poll, I chose other. A necessary building(s) in that kind of environment would most definitely be a barracks/Armory. But that's just my opinion. Perhaps a shelter dug under the village in case of a perimeter breach as well? Let me know what you think.
Posted Image

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostBlackBird1696, on 28 November 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

As per your poll, I chose other. A necessary building(s) in that kind of environment would most definitely be a barracks/Armory. But that's just my opinion. Perhaps a shelter dug under the village in case of a perimeter breach as well? Let me know what you think.

The problem with barracks is that it is difficult to make them look like barracks and not make it easy loot (what could you add besides swords, bows and arrows), but I did my best to incorporate guard posts/small barracks. the shelter sounds interesting, but right now I would prefer to add some surface building.
Posted Image

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

So reaper will you use my flint shards texture?

Also, I made 3 new texture.

Posted Image-- Shard- Golden Chicken Nugget

Posted Image---Shard- Sharpened Powder

Posted Image---Shard- Flame Star

Hope you like it!
Check Out My Dragons!

-Reaper-
    -Reaper-

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1315 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, I'll probably use the orange flint, thanks for that! :) But I don't want to add any new items or blocks.
Posted Image

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

View Post-Reaper-, on 28 November 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Yeah, I'll probably use the orange flint, thanks for that! Posted Image But I don't want to add any new items or blocks.

Well I just made the others new sprites for fun. That was fun!
Check Out My Dragons!

123sendodo
    123sendodo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Would you like me to help you to make more sprites for your mods? (Even CocoaCraft or Maze)
Check Out My Dragons!