• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Combination Lock with 281 Trillion Possible Combinations With a Trap!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

hutchy2011

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey, I have built a combination lock that can have infinite combinations and also has a trap that will kill anyone who puts in the incorrect combination

Register or log in to remove.

insaneninja9000
  • Minecraft: insaneninja9000

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

That's Useful!
Posted Image

jatie1
    jatie1

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Minecraft: jatie1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Texture pack? It looks very spiffy. And oh my god! How much cobble did you need for those levers? Problemo?
Posted Image

festinuz
    festinuz

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

i can build this in less space, but who cares. good job anyway.

seiterarch
  • Minecraft: seiterarch

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Nice, but the addition of extra binary possibilities beyond somewhere around the 20th digit makes the lock worse, not better IMO.  It takes a longer time to set the levers to the right combination and then unset them after opening the door and you can't let anyone watch you during this time.  It also takes up a lot of space and there's no way that anyone's going to be remembering an arbitrary 48 digit binary sequence, or even a compressed analogue without writing it down.  With a 10 digit binary lock, for instance, you only have to remember a very short compression (ie, you can remember 0100011010 as 2679, 10021 or any number of other compressions).

Also, the addition of the killing mechanism makes the extra digits even more baffling.  At 20 digits, you have to try over a million possibilities to have a 10% chance of guessing the answer.  People are just going to ignore the lock and try and find another way in.
Uh... I guess I should really link to my youtube account here.  I've got some neat cannons, fireworks, a goban and all sorts of other stuff if you want to check it out:  http://www.youtube.com/user/seiterarch

hutchy2011

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postseiterarch, on 20 November 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Nice, but the addition of extra binary possibilities beyond somewhere around the 20th digit makes the lock worse, not better IMO.  It takes a longer time to set the levers to the right combination and then unset them after opening the door and you can't let anyone watch you during this time.  It also takes up a lot of space and there's no way that anyone's going to be remembering an arbitrary 48 digit binary sequence, or even a compressed analogue without writing it down.  With a 10 digit binary lock, for instance, you only have to remember a very short compression (ie, you can remember 0100011010 as 2679, 10021 or any number of other compressions).

Also, the addition of the killing mechanism makes the extra digits even more baffling.  At 20 digits, you have to try over a million possibilities to have a 10% chance of guessing the answer.  People are just going to ignore the lock and try and find another way in.

I built this for my base on the pvp server I play on. I have block protection so people cant break any blocks however I must have a legitimate entrance to my base therefore I have this stopping people getting in. I simply use /home to get through it

Sethly87

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Once you're inside, how would you reset the levers? Seems like someone screenshotting the code if they happen to walk by or going through when the code is already in place is a security flaw. Also, the arrows look like they point to the input area rather than the button by the door that triggers them in the event of a wrong password.

hutchy2011

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostSethly87, on 21 November 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Once you're inside, how would you reset the levers? Seems like someone screenshotting the code if they happen to walk by or going through when the code is already in place is a security flaw. Also, the arrows look like they point to the input area rather than the button by the door that triggers them in the event of a wrong password.

As I said above i use /home to get inside never even use the lock its just to stop anyone else from getting in

blackknight1337
  • Minecraft: blackknight1337

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I can't see the appeal of people doing their locks with levers. They need a manual reset and there's only a finite amount of combinations. With buttons it is straight away has infinite combinations due to the person trying to crack it not knowing the length of the combination.

But anyway, good job on the lock :)
Termination Gaming has a website :D
http://www.terminationgaming.com/

hutchy2011

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

View Postblackknight1337, on 23 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

I can't see the appeal of people doing their locks with levers. They need a manual reset and there's only a finite amount of combinations. With buttons it is straight away has infinite combinations due to the person trying to crack it not knowing the length of the combination.

But anyway, good job on the lock Posted Image

i wouldnt say the combinations is finite. its currently 281 trillion one more lever and that becomes approx 500 billion then one more lever  1000 billion etc.

KeeganKraven
  • Minecraft: DanDan222

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

A fan of password protected doors myself.
But as far as a combination lock goes this is quite nice.

seiterarch
  • Minecraft: seiterarch

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

View Posthutchy2011, on 23 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

i wouldnt say the combinations is finite. its currently 281 trillion one more lever and that becomes approx 500 billion then one more lever  1000 billion etc.
From ODO:
Finite: adjective
limited in size or extent: every computer has a finite amount of memory

Finite doesn't mean small, it just means you can know exactly how big a number is.
Uh... I guess I should really link to my youtube account here.  I've got some neat cannons, fireworks, a goban and all sorts of other stuff if you want to check it out:  http://www.youtube.com/user/seiterarch

hutchy2011

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

View Postseiterarch, on 23 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

From ODO:
Finite: adjective
limited in size or extent: every computer has a finite amount of memory

Finite doesn't mean small, it just means you can know exactly how big a number is.

haha fair enough but its near impossible to crack anyway.

And if i wanted to be really annoying I could say that redstone only works for a certain set distance in minecraft therefore you are limited to the size you can make the combination therefore making it finite too  :P

blackknight1337

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Posthutchy2011, on 24 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

haha fair enough but its near impossible to crack anyway.

And if i wanted to be really annoying I could say that redstone only works for a certain set distance in minecraft therefore you are limited to the size you can make the combination therefore making it finite too  Posted Image
Not near impossible to crack, it's actually very easy. It'd just take a while is all. :P

And no, the only way a button lock becomes finite is if the person trying to crack it knows the length of the combination. If they don't then you can just have 2 buttons and it's instantly infinite. As it could be 1, 2, 11, 12, 21, 22, 111, 112, 121, 122, 211 and so on. Yeah, redstone only works so far which restricts your combination length, even then it'd be ridiculously long, but it'd still have an infinite amount of combinations for the above reason.

IAm0x64
    IAm0x64

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

View Posthutchy2011, on 22 November 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

As I said above i use /home to get inside never even use the lock its just to stop anyone else from getting in

Then I'm somewhat confused what it's all about.

If there is block protection, couldn't you just use an iron door with a button only on the inside? That would do the trick just the same...

hutchy2011

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostIAm0x64, on 25 November 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Then I'm somewhat confused what it's all about.

If there is block protection, couldn't you just use an iron door with a button only on the inside? That would do the trick just the same...

Ok ill explain a little more.

On the server I play on every base must be able to be raided as its pvp. However you can buy block protection for your base so people dont destroy it (in my case the admin gave me it because im cool :D). But when you have block protections you base still needs to be raid-able therefore there must be a way in. An iron door with only a button in the inside means thats its not raid-able as I only can get in. With my combination lock anyone can get into my base a steal my stuff, if they get the code right, which they wont.

Do you understand?

View Postblackknight1337, on 25 November 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Not near impossible to crack, it's actually very easy. It'd just take a while is all. Posted Image

And no, the only way a button lock becomes finite is if the person trying to crack it knows the length of the combination. If they don't then you can just have 2 buttons and it's instantly infinite. As it could be 1, 2, 11, 12, 21, 22, 111, 112, 121, 122, 211 and so on. Yeah, redstone only works so far which restricts your combination length, even then it'd be ridiculously long, but it'd still have an infinite amount of combinations for the above reason.

it is near impossible! there are 2^48 combinations. a deck of cards can be shuffled 2^52 ways and it is often said that every time you shuffle a deck off cards it will be the first time EVER that it has been in that order.

and you said yourself the combination length would be restricted therefore finite

Sethly87

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

View Posthutchy2011, on 22 November 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

So a wall would be just as effective to keep people out lol

hutchy2011

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostSethly87, on 26 November 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

So a wall would be just as effective to keep people out lol

if you bothered to read the other comments you would have seen that I lay on a pvp server and have block protection on it but each base must be raid-able, If I just have a wall its not raid-able with this lock it is. But as its nearly impossible to open my stuff is safe

wazup000

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

is it really 281 trillion combinations? dont call me out if im wrong but that numbers sounds like its based on the levers being numbers 0-9 and not binary. i dont know just sounds way to big.

also what server do you play on? i wanna go up against you Posted Image
My Minecraft name is Stvthestlker.

blackknight1337

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

View Posthutchy2011, on 25 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

it is near impossible! there are 2^48 combinations. a deck of cards can be shuffled 2^52 ways and it is often said that every time you shuffle a deck off cards it will be the first time EVER that it has been in that order.

and you said yourself the combination length would be restricted therefore finite
Nope, give someone enough time and it's straightforward to crack it. It's only near impossible if any single player can only have a single shot at it. So yeah, given enough time, anyone can crack it pretty easily.

And like I said, it's only finite if the person attempting to crack it knows the combination length. Then it turns into n^n where n is the number of buttons. If the combination remains an unknown, which it would, then it becomes n^x where n is the number of buttons and x is the guessed combination length. Which, because the x is an unknown, gives an infinite amount of possibilities. So yeah, without prior knowledge (combination length or total possible combinations), the lock is infinite.