• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Random silverfish stones?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

CuppaTea

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Ok so I was mining and i bumped into a silverfish stone! The strange thing is it took longer to break and it was NOT near a stronghold. Just wondering if silverfish spawn in random places now or still just strongholds?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Alosson
    Alosson

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Minecraft: CyberstormFromLU
  • Xbox:MinecraftTroy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

As of 1.4, they spawn randomly in Hills biomes, but there really rare.
Posted Image

IsmAvatar

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

They now also very rarely spawn in Extreme Hills biomes. Approximately an average of 1 per chunk.

The time they take to break should be exactly the same regardless of tool. This means that if you use a diamond pick, breaking a stone block is normally almost instant, but breaking a silverfish block will take a second - same as if you used your fist. This is useful for helping to identify silverfish blocks. If you're just mining along, and one block seems to be taking a little bit longer to mine - stop. It might be silverfish block. Punch it with your fist to see if it starts breaking faster than a normal stone block.

Alosson
    Alosson

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Minecraft: CyberstormFromLU
  • Xbox:MinecraftTroy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

As I have read on the wiki, they take as much time to mine as wool, unless that was changed.
Posted Image

Person360
  • Minecraft: Person360

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I thought silverfish blocks took longer to break with a pickaxe than by hand?
Posted Image

IsmAvatar

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

As I have read on the wiki, they take as much time to mine as wool, unless that was changed.
Tested and confirmed. Unless you are using shears, in which case wool drops faster.

I thought silverfish blocks took longer to break with a pickaxe than by hand?
No. You probably misunderstood the wiki. Silverfish blocks take longer to break with a pickaxe than normal stone blocks (except a wooden pick, which takes about the same time). Silverfish blocks break faster by hand than normal stone blocks. However, Silverfish blocks take the same amount of time to mine by hand or by pickaxe. Try it out yourself if you'd like - I just did.

Boundegar
    Boundegar

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4820 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Do those things spawn only on cave walls, or do you find them buried deep in stone too?

IsmAvatar

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

You can find them buried.

http://www.minecraft...rfish12w38a.png

Found naturally generated Silverfish blocks in Minecraft Snapshot 12w38a. To find it, I used MCEdit to remove rock, dirt, gravel, etc. from a large area of a 12w38a world and searched for Silverfish blocks. Upon using Re-Create world option to find it without removing the terrain, I found that the Silverfish blocks were in fact not attached to any cave system, although apparently near one. So these can be found buried anywhere.

Hope this helps ;-)

Boundegar
    Boundegar

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4820 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostIsmAvatar, on 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

You can find them buried.

http://www.minecraft...rfish12w38a.png

Hope this helps ;-)
*shudder*

RockUrSocksOff
  • Minecraft: rockursocksoff98

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

They spawn in Extreme Hills, and break faster than normal smooth stone.

Whatryouwatching

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

This really helped, I found a few silverfish blocks near my underground base. I was about to mine out a huge area to see if i could find a stronghold. Glad I read this page first!

SP0
    SP0

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostWhatryouwatching, on 18 August 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

This really helped, I found a few silverfish blocks near my underground base. I was about to mine out a huge area to see if i could find a stronghold. Glad I read this page first!

They are rare but can take you by surprise, they scared the life out of me when I first ran into them.Posted Image

Solosurvivalist
  • Minecraft: Solosurvivalist
  • Xbox:InfiniteHelfire

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yes. There is a stone bricks block for that.

Etk102
    Etk102

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Minecraft: Etk102
  • Xbox:I has no box of x

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Silverfish stone eggs are like ore veins...they spawn randomly in extreme hills. But they are pretty rare. And they take slightly longer to break than normal stone.
A picture is worth a thousand words...
Spoiler: