• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

New ores - To bring back mining in Minecraft!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Beleve it or not, I hardly mine in Minecraft. And I bet you barly do to, once you have collected enough diamonds.

Ores for the Crafters! - As you know, ores are the base item to create tools (Besides sticks) and are used to differenciate the powers of each tools and such. Anyway, if you haven't already noticed, their is a MAJOR dip in power when comparing Iron to Diamond. And I was thinking that new ores can possibly remove such a big gap.

Possible ore types:

Ruby: As of 1.4, minecraft still has the textures for the Ruby, wich was the precursor to the emerald. I think that rubys could be another currency, or even be stronger than iron, and still weaker than diamond. (Being closer to iron). (Requires Iron to mine)

Topaz: Being many colors in real life, Topaz could be a pink ore. It would be closer to diamond. My idea is that it lasts almost as long as diamond, but as strong as iron (Speed of mining and attacking). Plus, its humorus to be running around with a pink sword. (Requires Iron to mine)

Amethyst: A more purple ore, and more like gold. Not in a bad way ither. Since in Minecraft, gold has a better chance to get better enchantments on it, that would be the only simularity. It would be slightly weaker than iron, but has the perk of enchantments. However, being as rare as diamonds. (Requires Iron to mine)

Olivine: A light green ore, and can be used for tools, unlike emerald. These green tools would allow you to have faster sword swings and faster mining speeds, however it will be at a cost. The ore will be at stone stength and will not be able to pick up anything that requires a iron pickaxe to mine. (Requires Iron to mine)

Use more Alchemy! - Alchemy is very under used and is said to be expanded apon, These are my ideas. They aren't fool proof, as I am not sure what minecraft is able to do and what it is not able to do. Proof of consept people! Plus, I like creating potions.

Alchemy will have a major role in this idea as well. All of the above ores, and default ores should now have a reason for them. I will list below.

Coal/Charcoal: A 'makeshift' use of Redstone. Increases 1/4 of the time compared to Redstone, can be used up to 2 times during brewing. Can be paired with Redstone to get 1 1/2 of an effect.

Iron: Can be crushed into Iron nuggets (similar to Gold nuggets) and used as a upgrade for potions. This increases the 'weight' of the glass bottle when thrown. More for traps, or if used with a fermented spider eye, reversed and makes it be able to be thrown farther.

Emerald: A primary ingredent, Allowing for better trades. Brewing this will create the 'merchant potion'.
When trading, you will get better deals than normal, and will have a higher chance to have villagers give you more trades.

Lapis Lazuli: This ore can be used to replace Nether Wart. Yes, that is right, that valuable material to create potions. This is mainly because lapis is very un-helpful. But there is a catch, it only creates potions equal to 1/4 of the power of a normally created potion.

Diamond: A very pricey potion to make, but instead of upgrading, it becomes a full ingredient. When brewed, it creates the 'invinciblity potion'. It makes you a walking tank for 1 minute, and up to about 4 minutes when mixed with some Redstone and 2 Coal. Upgrading it with a fermented spider eye will make it a Instant death potion, and Glowstone dust will make it into a larger ranged throwing object, and will make it so if you are hit with the invinciblity potion on you, it damages anyone who attacks you.

Ruby: This is a ore that will allow for mining help. Brewing a potion using this will create a 'Miner's potion'. It will, over time, tell you if you are near ores. A level 1 potion will detect ores 6 blocks away in any direction. A level 2 potion will find ores in a 10 block radius. And if level 3 is possible, 14 blocks. Note, this will not tell you what the ores are, it will only notify you of close ores.

Topaz: This will create a potion already in the games coding, but not accessable. Blindness. That is all.

Amethyst: With this special ore, you can COMBINE potions. That is right. Creating a 'Mixing Potion' will not allow you to eat it, or apply gunpowder to it (throw it). It will then allow you to put another potion in the top brewing area, and then you can create even more potions! Brew blindness poison potions!

Olivine: It allows for haste potions ingame without cheats. Nuff' said.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Kitteh6660
    Kitteh6660

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1339 posts
  • Minecraft: Kitteh6660

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I kind of support this idea.
Posted Image

isaiahcxcx

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I think one of the great things about Tekkit is that it has tons of ores. I LOVE to get tons of gems and shiny things and hoard them in my chests and look at them.... I think it would be great if Mojang added a few more ores and potions.

+1

Chicken
    Chicken

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1414 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I like ores as they are... this is too complicated

Still KFC's Finest

Posted Image

isaiahcxcx

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostChicken, on 18 November 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

I like ores as they are... this is too complicated

Mmmh, I agree with this too. Perhaps just the Rubies. I don't think they'll add more than 1 ore at a time anyway. I love how you can only find emeralds in mountain biomes, perhaps you should implement that concept into this idea?

DaveTheWave
  • Minecraft: TheMuffinMan199

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

No, IMO Minecraft has enough ores already, but with this... Every 5 blocks you dig would be an ore. Also, No potion of invicablity, Enchanted Golden Apples are like the but harder to get, this would make PvP MUCH easier.
Posted Image This it a fun server that I didn't make, give it a try :)
Ever get tired of squids? Support dolphins in Minecraft!

dracodraco100

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

1. There have been too many ideas for ores already.
2. Ores have been leaning towards non tool and armor uses lately, as far as I can tell.

View PostBlaze Cream, on 18 November 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Use more Alchemy! - Alchemy is very under used and is said to be expanded upon, these are my ideas. They aren't fool proof, as I am not sure what minecraft is able to do and what it is not able to do. Proof of concept people! Plus, I like creating potions.

Alchemy will have a major role in this idea as well. All of the above ores, and default ores should now have a reason for them. I will list below.

Coal/Charcoal: A 'makeshift' use of Redstone. Increases 1/4 of the time compared to Redstone, can be used up to 2 times during brewing. Can be paired with Redstone to get 1 1/2 of an effect. This seems reasonable. Not too over powered except for the pairing with redstone. One mining trip can easily get a stack of coal, depending on the type of mine.

Iron: Can be crushed into Iron nuggets (similar to Gold nuggets) and used as a upgrade for potions. This increases the 'weight' of the glass bottle when thrown. More for traps, or if used with a fermented spider eye, reversed and makes it be able to be thrown farther. Perfectly reasonable.

Emerald: A primary ingredient, Allowing for better trades. Brewing this will create the 'merchant potion'.
When trading, you will get better deals than normal, and will have a higher chance to have villagers give you more trades. I'm on the fence with this suggestion, no comment.

Lapis Lazuli: This ore can be used to replace Nether Wart. Yes, that is right, that valuable material to create potions. This is mainly because lapis is very un-helpful. But there is a catch, it only creates potions equal to 1/4 of the power of a normally created potion. Reasonable. Only problem is the fact lapis is usually in surplus.

Diamond: A very pricey potion to make, but instead of upgrading, it becomes a full ingredient. When brewed, it creates the 'invincibility potion'. It makes you a walking tank for 1 minute, and up to about 4 minutes when mixed with some Redstone and 2 Coal. Upgrading it with a fermented spider eye will make it a Instant death potion, and Glowstone dust will make it into a larger ranged throwing object, and will make it so if you are hit with the invincibility potion on you, it damages anyone who attacks you. No. This seems like a game breaker. After a while, even diamond is plentiful. After this point, you are pretty much invincible forever.

Ruby: This is a ore that will allow for mining help. Brewing a potion using this will create a 'Miner's potion'. It will, over time, tell you if you are near ores. A level 1 potion will detect ores 6 blocks away in any direction. A level 2 potion will find ores in a 10 block radius. And if level 3 is possible, 14 blocks. Note, this will not tell you what the ores are, it will only notify you of close ores. This seems overpowered to me. Being able to know where ores are isn't as game breaking as invincibility in survival, but still pretty bad.

Topaz: This will create a potion already in the games coding, but not accessible. Blindness. That is all. Okay.

Amethyst: With this special ore, you can COMBINE potions. That is right. Creating a 'Mixing Potion' will not allow you to eat it, or apply gunpowder to it (throw it). It will then allow you to put another potion in the top brewing area, and then you can create even more potions! Brew blindness poison potions! Seems extremely overpowered, but it really isn't as bad as it seems. You could just fire two splash potions in quick succession even now. Only problem I see is doubling the storage capacity for potions.

Olivine: It allows for haste potions ingame without cheats. Nuff' said. I'm not sure what this does, but I assume it increases mining speed. Imagine a max efficiency pickaxe and this in the hands of a griefer. Nuff' said.

Posted Image

Globex Leader said:

If I can't launch the nukes, I'll walk them there myself!(Strike Force Heroes 2)

Floating_Pickle

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I don't want this many ores.

Posted Image

nearbeer
    nearbeer

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • Minecraft: nearbeer

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

To 'bring back mining to minecraft', we need less ores. People find ores too fast and are set for life.
I would love it if you checked out my "about me" page on my profile and looked at my threads :P I'm always happy to see new posters.

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

The reason why I have created this is mainly because, yes, I have gotten many times TONS of diamonds, and am rather bored at collecting. Like I said, potions are proof of concept and can easily be altered by Mojang, or if anyone would like to make a mod of it.
Posted Image