• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

kman324
    kman324

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'm having issues on my computer (a 64bit system, with 64bit java correctly working) with running minecraft from the .jar. I prefer running minecraft.jar to minecraft.exe because it allows me to run it from a startup script and keep my saves on my dropbox instead of in %appdata%/.minecraft. The only problem is, there is a huge disparity between running from the .jar and the .exe for framerate - see picture.

I get <20 fps on the .jar, and >50fps when running from the .exe.

Posted Image

Any ideas why?

Register or log in to remove.

Tedster
    Tedster

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4591 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I don't really know but I'm guessing that the EXE is taking less RAM than the JAR.

The less RAM MC uses, the better really.
I used to be a Support Guru, but then ran out of time. I have more time now, but I'll only make the occasional helpful post.

kman324
    kman324

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Actually, you're right, the .jar in the pic is using ~2GB of RAM, and the .exe is using ~1GB of RAM.
This makes no sense to me, why would less RAM be faster?

Hidinginthelight

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Not to completely change the subject, but you can use MultiMC to move the install location, rather then using scripts to move it. It also allows you to adjust memory allocated.

kman324
    kman324

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Okay, but for running from a USB stick on different computers MultiMC isn't as viable. Thanks though.

Any other ideas on what I can try? I've run minecraft.jar in 32bit java, updated to 1.4.4, it makes no difference, I'm idling at 10 fps with the jar and 100+ fps with Minecraft.exe, with and without OptiFine. In task manager, they both use almost the same amount of CPU and memory, and have the same process priority and affinity.

What's going on? Just the .jar is laggy...

Milikeny
    Milikeny

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Minecraft: milikeny

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Update Java? Also try with less RAM so that your computer doesn't make as much of a stupid and says "I'ma just throw this RAM onto the disk like a herp-a-durp"
In a world where only happiness exists, we would know no happiness, as there would be no sadness to compare it to.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

I replied to the other post where you suggest using the .jar download from minecraft.net.  My understanding is that the .jar there is for setting up a server, whereas using the launcher to install downloads a bit different install & jar that doesn't open itself up on ports to listen to the internet and probably has a few other minor differences related to single player.  Really not sure what is different between the server and the merged client now though, not a ton I'm guessing if it works for you.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Hidinginthelight

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Well I don't know what other post you are talking about, but I'd guess he is talking about the linux launcher which is a jar.
I was using it for a bit to work with a certain program I used for recording. I didn't have any performance differences however.

And to comment on my earlier post. MultiMC works just fine from a USB drive. Before I upgraded my HDDs I was running MultiMC of a 3.0 USB thumbdrive. (It was faster then my HD..)

kman324
    kman324

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Okay, I haven't had time to try MultiMC, but I'll try that on my thumb drive and see how it goes.
I might give up on using the .jar entirely, since it doesn't really help me too much and it's just not working.