Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Server Opening on 0.0.0.0, Help?

help lan lan help

  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21

Claymore32
  • Minecraft: zclay32

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hey everyone, I've posted a work-around in this thread:
http://www.minecraft...t-successfully/

Hopefully this helps.  But yes, the root of the problem is that the host game is reporting an incorrect local IP of 0.0.0.0 to all the clients.  To successfully connect you just need to directly connect to that host's local IP and port.

Register or log in to remove.

#22

gerbil
    gerbil

    Support Guru

  • Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

The root of the problem is that Open to LAN still doesn't work right Posted Image

Pre 1.4.4  MC would pick an address on your computer,  bind to it and advertise it to potential LAN clients.
Problem was that MC sometimes used an address that was not reachable by LAN clients (2nd network interface, VPN interface, VM interface).

In 1.4.4 MC doesn't pick any address but listens on all interfaces (which is what 0.0.0.0 means in a socket binding context).  This is a good thing BUT now no address is being advertised to the LAN clients, so they don't know where the server is.

I'm pretty sure I saw someone point out this flaw in the Minecraft bug system during the pre release cycle.

#23

Anadallin
    Anadallin

    Newly Spawned

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ok - so there are workarounds.
If you know your IP address in the network, just use the port reported or found by others on your network when they try to find your server after you have entered "Open to lan". Then use this in the "Add server" for those trying to log on to your open lan i.e. 192.168.1.80:5202

But if you don't know your IP adress in windows-
Press windows button and r
write cmd and maximize window
type "ipconfig"
You can now find your adress i.e. 192.168.1.80
then your friends can type this adress in the "Add server"
i.e. 192.168.1.80:port number (found when you open to lan or when searching in multiplayer mode)

there are easier ways, but hey, this is my way.

#24

Evvz
    Evvz

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Location: Candyland
  • Minecraft: Evvz
  • Xbox:Evvz22

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Same problem here.  Apparently 1.4.4 fixed a ton of glitches but it created a huge one. :P
Posted Image

#25

raekess
    raekess

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postmematematica, on 15 November 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Aparently everyone is getting this problem with the 1.4.4 release. The issue here is that Minecraft is not retriving your local IP correctly as it used to, so we have to do it manually untill a fix is released. This is what worked in my case.

From eldiablo-dk:

Replace "0.0.0.0" with the IP-adress of the hosting computer. Anything on the right side of the ":" stays the same.
Example: 0.0.0.0:12345 --> 127.0.0.1:12345


Now, how to know the local IP address of the hosting computer?

From lifehacker.com:

Here are the instructions for Windows

  • Click on the Start menu and type cmd. When you see the cmd applications in Start menu panel, click it or just press enter.

  • A command line window will open. Type ipconfig and press enter.

  • You'll see a bunch of information, but the line you want to look for is "IPv4 Address." The number across from that text is your local IP address.

Here's how to do the same thing on a Mac:

  • Open System Preferences (via the Apple menu at the top lefthand corner of your screen).

  • When System Preferences opens, click on the icon labeled Network.

  • You should see a few options on the left with labels like Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, etc. The ones with green dots have IP addresses assigned to them. Click the one on top (if it isn't already selected) and look to the right. There should be a sentence that reads something like "Wi-Fi is connected to Chocolate and has the IP address 192.168.1.102." The number at the end of that sentence is your local IP address.
In Linux based OS, I believe the right command is /sbin/ifconfig as stated in linuxquestions.org. However, I'm unable to verify it.

Hope this helps you all.

View Postmematematica, on 15 November 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Please note that the "Fix" I posted only works for multiplayer within the same LAN. i.e. not servers. I was unaware the servers had problems with the recent patch.
You don't have to modify any file. Once you have the real local IP of the computer hosting the world and the 5 digit after the ":" generated by the game. Go to the second computer, run the game and click multiplayer, there click "direct connect". An entry box will appear and you put the real local IP followed by the ":" and the 5 digit number as usual.
Hope I answered you question.

These solutions worked perfectly for me on a LAN server. Thank you!!

#26

trennonisme
  • Location: Crestview, FL
  • Minecraft: dgb3000

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostnXcalibur, on 14 November 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

After the 1.4.4 update, everytime I try and open my world to LAN, it opens it on 0.0.0.0:etc... Before the update, everything was working fine. I have no mods installed, and absolutely no firewalls blocking Minecraft. I am running this on a Window's 7 computer.

Again, it was working 100% okay before installed 1.4.4.
Again, there are no firewalls blocking it.

Any help you can offer will be extremely appreciated.   Posted Image

Ok, I don't know if anyone else has said this but it opens on 0.0.0.0 because it is the 1.4.4 update that did it. In 1.4.5, it is going to fix it as it shows on this page: HERE

#27

inifinity1000

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, I tried updating to 1.4.5 and still had the same problem on my mac and pc.
The easiest fix I believe is to open to lan world and have your friend log in by adding a server with the host's ip followed by the 5 numbers it gives you when you open the lan
For example you open it says "0.0.0.0:72593
your friend types in 1.2.3.4:72593    (1.2.3.4) being the host's ip

#28

01110111010
  • Location: Epicarno Land Biome
  • Minecraft: socolo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postmematematica, on 15 November 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Aparently everyone is getting this problem with the 1.4.4 release. The issue here is that Minecraft is not retriving your local IP correctly as it used to, so we have to do it manually untill a fix is released. This is what worked in my case.

From eldiablo-dk:

Replace "0.0.0.0" with the IP-adress of the hosting computer. Anything on the right side of the ":" stays the same.
Example: 0.0.0.0:12345 --> 127.0.0.1:12345


Now, how to know the local IP address of the hosting computer?

From lifehacker.com:

Here are the instructions for Windows

  • Click on the Start menu and type cmd. When you see the cmd applications in Start menu panel, click it or just press enter.

  • A command line window will open. Type ipconfig and press enter.

  • You'll see a bunch of information, but the line you want to look for is "IPv4 Address." The number across from that text is your local IP address.

Here's how to do the same thing on a Mac:

  • Open System Preferences (via the Apple menu at the top lefthand corner of your screen).

  • When System Preferences opens, click on the icon labeled Network.

  • You should see a few options on the left with labels like Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, etc. The ones with green dots have IP addresses assigned to them. Click the one on top (if it isn't already selected) and look to the right. There should be a sentence that reads something like "Wi-Fi is connected to Chocolate and has the IP address 192.168.1.102." The number at the end of that sentence is your local IP address.
In Linux based OS, I believe the right command is /sbin/ifconfig as stated in linuxquestions.org. However, I'm unable to verify it.

Hope this helps you all.

THANK YOU! :)
Posted Image
Check Out Mine2D my first real game that is public - Its not great :P

#29

TheRDBat5

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I tried using the ipv4, but no result.
I guess all I can do is just wait for Mojang to fix it, or just downgrade

#30

gerbil
    gerbil

    Support Guru

  • Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

It's not broken, so waiting for a fix is futile.

#31

alextricity

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

im getting the same problem in 1.4.7

#32

minecrafter953

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Simple!
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
1.Open to lan(let's say it gives you 0.0.0.0:49836)
2.http://www.whatsmyip.net/ click here this is your IP.That is all you have to do.

WHAT THE OTHER ONES HAVE TO DO
1.Open Minecraft
2.Click multiplayer
3.Click dirrect connect
4.Your sister(or whatever) should replace 0.0.0.0 with the numbers you found here http://www.whatsmyip.net/
5.Then enter the number 49836(the last number that is not a 0 )
IF THIS DOES NOT WORK,YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR A FIX

#33

gerbil
    gerbil

    Support Guru

  • Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

That's not helpful.  Whatismyip will report your public IP, which almost certainly not work from inside your internet router.
If open to lan does not work for you, something is blocking either the advertisments (so the world can't be seen on the other computer), or the connections (when the connection is refused or times out).

This could be software on either computer, or a configuration in your lan router.

#34

minecrafter953

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Gerbil,it worked for me :)

#35

gerbil
    gerbil

    Support Guru

  • Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

The implication of that is:

1) You either have an unusual router that supports U-turning of NAT'd traffic
OR
2) You aren't using NAT.  Very unusual in my part of the world.
AND
3) Your problem was the advertisements being blocked.

#36

minecrafter953

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Well,ok I guess I have a very unusual router :P

#37

trinalporpus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

if i go back to 1.3.2 will it work?

Posted Image


#38

NTTD
    NTTD

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Location: The Great Basin

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Apparently the issue continues with 1.4.7.  I just started using the LAN feature as I had someone with another account over. It was working fine two nights ago, tried it with a few of my saved worlds and a new one, working great.  

Last night nothing, the other person could not find me, open to LAN showed 0.0.0.0 for IP.
Had to do the direct connect method with my IPv4 and the port number.
I used the method referenced in this post:

View PostClaymore32, on 15 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Hey everyone, I've posted a work-around in this thread:
http://www.minecraft...t-successfully/


#39

gerbil
    gerbil

    Support Guru

  • Members
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Does no one learn logical thinking any more?

Everything is working properly for you, except for one single thing.  Your guest did not receive the LAN game advertisement.
Since "it was working fine two nights ago", the problem is with some security setting on your guest's computer which blocked the advertisement.

When you connect to a new network and you specify it as anything other than "Home", you'll get some kind of blocking happening by the Windows firewall.

#40

mixy1
    mixy1

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postmematematica, on 15 November 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Please note that the "Fix" I posted only works for multiplayer within the same LAN. i.e. not servers. I was unaware the servers had problems with the recent patch.
You don't have to modify any file. Once you have the real local IP of the computer hosting the world and the 5 digit after the ":" generated by the game. Go to the second computer, run the game and click multiplayer, there click "direct connect". An entry box will appear and you put the real local IP followed by the ":" and the 5 digit number as usual.
Hope I answered you question.
sorry but it wont worki in 1.4.7