Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

MineCraft and Windows 8?

will minecraft be combatible with windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

xIxANOMALYxIx

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Hey just wondering if anyone knows if Minecraft is compatible with Windows 8 or will be?

Register or log in to remove.

DevilOfEnderDragon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Please someone correct me if I am wrong
It isn't gonna work,in my opinion cause if it was,Notch would have add a note like "Added Windows 8 support"

Berwout
    Berwout

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2440 posts
  • Minecraft: AngelsDustz

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostxIxANOMALYxIx, on 14 November 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Hey just wondering if anyone knows if Minecraft is compatible with Windows 8 or will be?
Big chance it does not work.

View PostDevilOfEnderDragon, on 14 November 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

Please someone correct me if I am wrong
It isn't gonna work,in my opinion cause if it was,Notch would have add a note like "Added Windows 8 support"
Minecraft does work for windows 8 there's another problem.. Drivers.
Got my GTS 450 running at 900 MHz core (http://www.ozone3d.n...0.php?id=114106)
[Computer Specifications]

xQuencher
    xQuencher

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 181 posts
  • Minecraft: xQuencher

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm currently running Windows 8 Pro and Minecraft runs just fine. But whether Minecraft will work or not depends on if Windows 8 can detect and install the correct drivers for your PC. So, you'll have to see if drivers are available for your computer. I'd just dual-boot Windows 8 and Windows 7 and see if it runs or not.

minecrafterwork
  • Minecraft: minecrafterwork

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

I am also running Windows 8 Pro and have been doing so since the release and I have not had any problems with Minecraft

-- Certified HTML, Java --

-- Experienced C++, Python, PhP, Javascript, MySQL, ROR --

jaetwee
    jaetwee

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: jaetwee

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

From what I've heard/read, Minecraft will be compatible with Windows 8, it will just be harder to install / run due to the program restrictions / monopoly on the pc software market that Windows has / wants to have.

minecrafterwork
  • Minecraft: minecrafterwork

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostKernWillia, on 14 November 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

It isn't gonna work,in my opinion cause if it wasPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It works

View Postjaetwee, on 14 November 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

From what I've heard/read, Minecraft will be compatible with Windows 8, it will just be harder to install / run due to the program restrictions / monopoly on the pc software market that Windows has / wants to have.

If you are updating from Windows 7 it will just work you will not need to install or remove any programs it will run normally

-- Certified HTML, Java --

-- Experienced C++, Python, PhP, Javascript, MySQL, ROR --

famicube64

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Windows 8 is still Windows guys. Windows is known for backwards compatibility. Minecraft works fine as do all of my other games.

Vercuiel
    Vercuiel

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Im gonna dual boot until more things are compatible. :3

Phycozz
    Phycozz

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Step 1. Don't get Windows 8
Step 2. ????????
Step 3. Profit

It should work fine, though...
Posted Image

Temido2222
  • Minecraft: Temido2222

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

looked at a  spreadsheet in camp once, Java is compatible, so maybe yes

View PostPhycozz, on 18 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Step 2. ????????
Step 3. Profit

It should work fine, though...
What if you already have a windows 8 computer? You really can't downgrade Windows
Please come check out my channel. I'm new to YouTube and do Minecraft and other games. My channel name is Temido2222. Views and subs would be appreciated!

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postjaetwee, on 14 November 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

From what I've heard/read, Minecraft will be compatible with Windows 8,

This is quite possible the most misinformed post I have ever read. Congratulations.

"From what I've heard/read"-> evidently, you are reading from journalists that are ALSO writing based on what they heard and read. It's more prevalent than it sounds, actually. So many reviews of Operating Systems and even games are written by a person that hasn't seen anything more than screenshots about it, and they fill the rest in themselves based on other peoples reviews, some of which no doubt took the same approach; one wonders how far back you actually have to go through the sources before you find out it was all based on one person's opinion and in no way is it rooted in reality.

it will just be harder to install
Installs and runs exactly the same for me. Of course I am doing the unbelievable and basing my information on first-hand experience.

run due to the program restrictions
Restrictions on program content apply <ONLY> to programs written with the Windows 8 UI <AND> that want to be listed in the Windows Store. You can make a Windows 8 UI app that isn't on the Windows Store install however you please, and you can use the traditional Win32 API for desktop applications however you please. the "restrictions" are in place primarily for historic reasons; if MS let's devs do whatever they want they will end up making crappy apps that break the tablets or don't work at all, giving Windows 8 a bad name. of course it's more a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. Don't prevent any developer from doing what they want and they are chastized for not having control over their own platform. take control of their own platforms and they are criticized as draconian overlords- can't win.

monopoly on the pc software market that Windows has / wants to have.
The restrictions have nothing to do with the PC software market and everything to do with the tablet market which is the primary purpose of the Windows 8 Store. it's available on standard PC desktops but only because there really isn't a good reason not to have it available there.

Dariusk9
    Dariusk9

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Minecraft: Dariusk9

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work with it. But Windows 8 still looks gross.
Click HERE to check out my youtube!
Posted Image

BrokenPsychics

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostPhycozz, on 18 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Step 2. ????????
Step 3. Profit

I don't have Windows 8 but my answer to the question is the above.
BrokenPsychics. BrokenForuming. BrokenEverything

GeosX
    GeosX

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

I have a Lenovo laptop that I upgraded to Win 8.  After about 30 minutes of using W8 I decided I like the interface.  Sadly, I am having quite a bit of trouble running Minecraft.  First, I got the MC error on start instructing me to update drivers.  I had the latest Microsoft drivers already,  so I went the other way and installed an older driver.  MC started fine then,  but crashed after 5 minutes.  The occurred several more times,  so I downloaded the latest drivers from Lenovo, and then MC gave the start up message to update drivers.  I then went to NVIDIA and got the latest drivers, and installed them.  Once again, MC started fine and then crashed after about 5 minutes.  I don't think I am the only one with this problem, and I am sure it will get sorted out eventually.  So, I'll be patient.  So, yes it will run, but for the time being expect possible bumps as the drivers get sorted out.  It runs from the Desktop (Win 7 style) vs. using a Win 8 tile, but at some point that will sorted out, too. Cheers.

Berwout
    Berwout

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2440 posts
  • Minecraft: AngelsDustz

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostGeosX, on 30 November 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

-snip-
"I had the latest Microsoft drivers already"
Well there's your problem, never use windows update drivers. Just go to amd.com or nvidia.com and download the proper latest driver.
Got my GTS 450 running at 900 MHz core (http://www.ozone3d.n...0.php?id=114106)
[Computer Specifications]

MIRZAMAN

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I has Windows 8 laptop that runs on Mobile Intel graphic card and minecraft crashes at startup and says UR STUPID ******* VIDEO DRIVER DOESN'T ******* WORK (sorry for bad language :P). I tried everything but it kept on doing that. So one word for me right now. **** WIN8
Posted Image

Doc_Mat
    Doc_Mat

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Actually a friend of mine bought a brand new laptop just recently, Windows 8- can't remember the exact specs, but I know it was a beast. We got Minecraft and Java installed (no mods of any kind). She'd play for about 10 minutes and it would crash- giving her a memory error... but yet my daughter plays Minecraft on her Windows 7 laptop she got 2 years ago, which has nowhere near the specs that my friend's laptop had with very few crashes. My daughter also has a few mods installed, so it tends to suck up resources pretty quickly.

rosestorm90

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

From everything I have seen, it looks like it will work fine if you are buying a PC with 8 already on it, but there does seem to be some driver issues for people that are upgrading from 7 on the same machine.

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Postrosestorm90, on 05 March 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

From everything I have seen, it looks like it will work fine if you are buying a PC with 8 already on it, but there does seem to be some driver issues for people that are upgrading from 7 on the same machine.
My laptop, purchased February 2008, came with Windows Vista. it has Windows 8 and it works fine with Minecraft.

I'm fairly sure the problems people have are attributable to a lack of experience.