• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Is Minecraft "done" after 1.5?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Bull_Power

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Maybe Dinnerbone will start developing Minecraft?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

PivotOwnage

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Maybe, right, and just... hear me out here..
Us people can suggest things to Jeb etc., and/or make small lines of working code and send it to an email account especially for this, and if Mojang think it's good enough, they can add it in, or make extension packs with the code inside!
A bit like mods, but it can be implemented into Vanilla Minecraft.
Solves everything, right?
Posted Image

gyrebox
    gyrebox

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I would be cool with one more year of updates like mobs,items,mechanics and maybe a new realm like the nether or some expanded feature that allows for longevity within the game. Look at how terraria just got dropped into a finished status. It is nicely polished but after a certain point I dont want to play it anymore. Minecraft at least has a better interaction level for building and mechanical functions. They made a brick of money off the game so it would be nice to see them complete the game in a manner that will allow it to thrive beyond its final release. If the people making and developing minecraft it just get bored with it or lose interest than leaving it to mods could help. I would hope that with the cash obtained and the fandom and continueing interest in minecraft as a whole would be enough to keep it living from the source and not the modders solely.

TDuffin
    TDuffin

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Minecraft: TDuffin

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

You know, maybe someone will make mods so vanilla-styled that it will essentially reboot this whole process, only with new minds and ideas.
Either that or this goes open-source once sales drop, if you look in the "About The Game" section on our beloved Minecraft.net it still says this. If it goes OS then we definitely get a new team, maybe even begin works for new Minecraft titles? However it's hard to have a sequel to a sandbox game..

View PostPivotOwnage, on 14 November 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

Maybe, right, and just... hear me out here..
Us people can suggest things to Jeb etc., and/or make small lines of working code and send it to an email account especially for this, and if Mojang think it's good enough, they can add it in, or make extension packs with the code inside!
A bit like mods, but it can be implemented into Vanilla Minecraft.
Solves everything, right?
They already take famous mods and implement them if they like the idea, Pistons, potions and many other mechanics and features were inspired/taken from mods, it's a pretty big honour to have it implemented... I wonder if they get paid from Mojang?
Posted Image

GerbilCrab475

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Ummm, the biggest problem with this is possible incomplete mechanics in the game. Like potions, I have yet to see a mod that adds real brewable, working potions to the game.

Posted Image
^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^

doctorcweed

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Even if Minecraft has perfect API and no more updates, Ill probably leave the community.
Posted Image

Odiefrom
    Odiefrom

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Minecraft: Odiefrom
  • Xbox:Zeoc1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostTDuffin, on 14 November 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Either that or this goes open-source once sales drop, if you look in the "About The Game" section on our beloved Minecraft.net it still says this. If it goes OS then we definitely get a new team, maybe even begin works for new Minecraft titles? However it's hard to have a sequel to a sandbox game..

That's my thoughts.  When Minecraft is done done (whenever that days comes, ignore that point), it'll go open-source.  When that happens, there will be certain distros of Minecraft.  At this point, you'd find one you like (or is most like 'NillaCraft) and follow that dev team.

View PostTDuffin, on 14 November 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

They already take famous mods and implement them if they like the idea, Pistons, potions and many other mechanics and features were inspired/taken from mods, it's a pretty big honour to have it implemented... I wonder if they get paid from Mojang?

Some mod makers have been hired on (don't quote me, but pretty much most of the current programmers excluding Jens, maybe one more, were mod makers) and get paid in that roundabout way, since they know the ins and outs already, and can code things like the Mod API and engine overhauls cuz that's what they've been doing.  But when you make a mod, you can't claim anything financially on it unless Mojang allows that (or opens their source), which they haven't done.

Rhymane Flameheart

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the posibillity of paid updates yet. As is my understanding the initial plan when MC was released was to be that everyone who paid for the game before it was officially released would get future updates for free, while those who bought it after official release would then have to pay for any updates Mojang released after that. This plan seems to have fallen by the wayside somewhat since we have had the official release but as yet all updates have been free (not a complaint mind you). But it's perhaps not beyond the realms of posibillity that once the game reaches a 'finished' state, Mojang will then move on to adding extra content that we players have to pay for...like expansion packs if you will.
I used to be a console gamer. Then Xbox One and PS4 came out. Now I'm a PC gamer.
Minecraft - the only game in the world where you can dig out a pile of gravel with a roast chicken...

Nerevar
    Nerevar

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6104 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I doubt we'll see expansion packs or any form of paid DLC, honestly. Mojang and Notch don't strike me as doing that. It would create a dichotomy in the community, and in the face of mods it wouldn't be too effective anyways.

-The Power to Destroy-

Nate_Frozen_Rain
  • Minecraft: Nate_Frozen_Rain

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Does this mean no colored glass and colored light? Wouldn't jeb have to update the lightning system for colored light to work? Or would mods be able to achieve that?
Posted Image

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostNate_Frozen_Rain, on 15 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

Does this mean no colored glass and colored light? Wouldn't jeb have to update the lightning system for colored light to work? Or would mods be able to achieve that?
If they add colored lights to vanilla mc I would throw-up. I think changing one of the texture files changes the light colors, I'm just too lazy to check it's name.
Posted Image

Nate_Frozen_Rain
  • Minecraft: Nate_Frozen_Rain

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Why would you throw up? Many other people thought it was a good idea but if colored light can't be made possible but colored glass still can then that's still good. *pokes siggy*
Posted Image

Bellaabzug21

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostOdiefrom, on 14 November 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

Someone who remembers and wants the red dragon (that Jeb has stated he doesn't want to make Posted Image ).  I thought I was the only one who wanted it still lol
Woah...you get that all out of your system?  Good.  World of Warcraft receives regular patch updates by Blizzard, the dev company.  There's the addon system where players can make their own extensions, but they can't add anything into the game.  So I suggest you calm down, get your facts straight before ranting here, and then post properly.  Thanks.

I'm not ranting, I was just using world of warcraft as an example. I don't play it so if I'm wrong about that I'm sorry, that's just how it appears to me. This "rant" as you put it is very factual, there have been several statements that this is likely how minecraft will work once the API is out, anything up until then is just to keep us occupied. On another subject, I agree with you on the red dragon, what the heck happened to that? If they can make a wither boss, I seriously think they can add in something like that.
Beta Tester for Ars Magica and creator of Soaryn's Ascended. Check it out! https://plus.google....155226270671480

Jalorda
    Jalorda

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1397 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

It is true.
Posted Image

Jalorda
    Jalorda

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1397 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

The problem is with the insta mod install server thing, is that most servers would run Tekkit or some other bullcr#p.

View PostBull_Power, on 14 November 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Maybe Dinnerbone will start developing Minecraft?
Hopefully
Posted Image

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostNate_Frozen_Rain, on 15 November 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Why would you throw up? Many other people thought it was a good idea but if colored light can't be made possible but colored glass still can then that's still good. *pokes siggy*
I honestly wouldn't really care, but if they were to add that they should also add colored stone. It drives me nuts when I want to make colorful buildings but wool makes it look like a giant couch not to mention it catches on fire. Wool Sux.

View PostBellaabzug21, on 15 November 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

I'm not ranting, I was just using world of warcraft as an example. I don't play it so if I'm wrong about that I'm sorry, that's just how it appears to me. This "rant" as you put it is very factual, there have been several statements that this is likely how minecraft will work once the API is out, anything up until then is just to keep us occupied. On another subject, I agree with you on the red dragon, what the heck happened to that? If they can make a wither boss, I seriously think they can add in something like that.
A red dragon would feel somewhat redundant since we already have a dragon, but if they were to add one I wish they would just put hollowed out areas with a dragon sitting there that protects it's area, and when you kill it you get..  idk, still feels redundant. I think the idea of riding dragons is also stupid (they weren't planning for that to be doable anyways), any game where I rode a dragon was totally boring as hell, just as boring as those jet games.
Posted Image

Tekkiter360

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

It would be terrible if it ends if something has a start also it has an end but we can use mods to keep us going but i think that in the future minecraft will be fixed,added,and removed all the stuffs that are needed and the role will fall to the community they might remove META-INF for mod API but i they should add the Aether in the future update if there is nether(hell) there should be haeven(Aether)

ArrogantLobster

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostTekkiter360, on 15 November 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

It would be terrible if it ends if something has a start also it has an end but we can use mods to keep us going but i think that in the future minecraft will be fixed,added,and removed all the stuffs that are needed and the role will fall to the community they might remove META-INF for mod API but i they should add the Aether in the future update if there is nether(hell) there should be haeven(Aether)

There not adding the Aether...

View Postsimen671, on 26 November 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Do you guys think Dinnerbone is giving a hint here? Or is he just Dinnerboning?

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4845 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostKyoShinda, on 14 November 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

Squid, water, water, squid, water, water, water, water, water, water, island, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, land

Fixed.

If Mojang does this, then they'll lose a lot of people. Just saying. I highly doubt that Minecraft will hit the 9 million or 10 million mark if they do this. Even with mods, they'll lose the people who prefer vanilla since there isn't anything new coming out.

Not to mention that Mojang never gave a **** about the terrain. Dinnerbone pretty much just said "lol terrain sliders!" which may or may not come in 1.5 which may or may not come itself. Hell, it isn't even what we (as in, the people who wanted an overhaul) wanted at all.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image‚Äč

CyborgFish

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I definitely do not support the ending of updates. It is far too early in my opinion to even consider such a thing! Now whether we like it or not, of course in time it is unavoidable and Minecraft will be forced to come to a long pause. I'm sure the community has the power and ability to let Minecraft function smoothly for a little while, but after some time I don't see it even feeling like the original game.

Don't get me wrong, there are a good amount of mods that can enhance the experience of your Minecraft gameplay, but for me... it only seems like the enjoyment lasts for a short period of time, and then I happen to revert back to a vanilla installment.

I've had quite the fun in these quick roughly two years messing around with this brilliant sandbox. Every update since my beginning seems to lighten up my day and improve the overall feel of such a well designed, yet simple and elegant video game. I've never been able to complain about an update, and I never hesitate to give the new content at least a try. I seem to always find myself using the latest patch and stick with it until yet another great snapshot is released.

Maybe another company could take over and start with some fresh decisions one of these days. This community is large, and things would get out of hand if we allowed ourselves to decide what should be of the game's future. I wish Mojang to have an even longer and successful life with their creative and addictive game that all of us here love. And I hope to be finding myself outgrow it before the company itself does.