Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Place-able Gold Ingots

ingots placeable gold

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

mr.stabby

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

i would love to see something like this implemented into the game!
Join a great gaming community!
http://www.outbreakgaming.co.uk

Register or log in to remove.

Dwer_1
    Dwer_1

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Minecraft: Dwer_

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

support: i like that idea
Posted Image

Novacose
    Novacose

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostStravagante, on 16 November 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

I'm not entirely sure you got what I was trying to say, the fact that I do not support this is not based on an aesthetic block not having a function (I love lapis blocks for example) but that there are already established methods that achieve the same ends, and arguably more efficiently by means of blocks, or maybe the new itemframes. This being in a game that relys on the player willing to imagine detail where largely symbolic items exist, as opposed to detailed or realistic ones.
Bats are aesthetic, but fill a hole in the minecraft world of populating the sky and a likely inhabitant in caves that was once missing. I'll give you flowerpots though, I was happy with my trapdoors and dirt. Was unaware that was a desired or particularly amazing item.

I guess we each have our own opinions about his matter. I'm definitely not going to say you are wrong, because that would make me wrong.

The idea may seem redundant to you but to me, its got heart, something gold block just don't do. :D
Posted Image<------  Support stackable Golden ingots!

Jake Von
    Jake Von

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1070 posts
  • Minecraft: JakeVon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostScum, on 13 November 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Not to hate on a popular idea but...gold blocks kinda makes this obsolete. The bank safety deposit box look can be made by stacking gold blocks.
I disagree. Solid gold blocks look far less like actual stacks of gold ingots. It would be more like a fatass table made of solid gold sticking out of the floor. Not the kind of thing I would like to look at all day, admiring my wealth. Better than nothing, but still.
It's hard criticizing ideas when one is tired, so you'd better appreciate it when I criticize yours.

Melkior_Wiseman

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostJake Von, on 19 November 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

I disagree. Solid gold blocks look far less like actual stacks of gold ingots. It would be more like a fatass table made of solid gold sticking out of the floor. Not the kind of thing I would like to look at all day, admiring my wealth. Better than nothing, but still.
I agree.  Aesthetically, stacks of gold bricks would look far nicer than stacks of gold blocks.

And in case anyone is unclear, this suggestion is about an entirely decorative block type.  It has no other "use".

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11002 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

There is only one thing that concerns me with this idea, and that is the fact that there is no way to make these look good in such a small area AND make them stack well. At least not from my few attempts in Photoshop.
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

Alterarch

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I support this idea but this would require a bit of coding work to be done. I assume they would have to implement a block type for every possible stacking combination possible.
"Nothing to see here", he lied.

Melkior_Wiseman

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostAlterarch, on 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I support this idea but this would require a bit of coding work to be done. I assume they would have to implement a block type for every possible stacking combination possible.
I'm only thinking of one stacking combination.  It would be either a pyramid with a square base or a cube of 4 ingots.  I know the OP was thinking of stacking the ingots as they're placed, but I think my suggestion is more realistic because it's easier to code.

Roadsguy
    Roadsguy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1158 posts
  • Minecraft: Roadsguy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Here's my opinion on this suggestion.

This should be for Iron and Gold, because both are ingots, of course. Instead of a pyramid, how about four put together to make a full block worth?

From what I can tell, Stairs are basically a slab model, with another slab-like thing on top that's only half as long, but just as wide. Perhaps Mojang could find a way to use that to form blocks made of four separate blocks, like double-slabs, but they'd drop four Ingots. Perhaps it could be added in the same way as the Little Blocks Mod, rather than have each Ingot added make it a separate block like Slabs.

Gold Ingot Blocks would have the texture of Gold Blocks and Iron the texture of Iron Blocks, but altered to be 8x16 and 8x8, for each of these faces, to avoid a cut-off-looking edge.

Sorry to hijack this thread (if I even did), but I just wanted to get a bit more technical with this as to how it would be feasible.

Don't take this post the wrong way; I do like this idea. Support! Posted Image
Insert clever signature here.

Novacose
    Novacose

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

So I guess what would have to happen is: the texture would be (for one brick) 8x8x16. Two next to each other would result in 2 8x8x16 blocks. When the third one was added, there would be another 8x8x16 brick on top of the two previous bricks.
Posted Image<------  Support stackable Golden ingots!

StubbyEE
    StubbyEE

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1692 posts
  • Minecraft: StubbyEE
  • Xbox:StubbyEE

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Oh my gosh, when I read the suggestion, I started going crazy with ideas. I have an over abundance of coal, iron, stone, and gold. I would use the coal to smelt cobble, and make an underground bank. I would craft lots of iron bars, and place the gold ingots, making an underground bank of somesort. Support.
Posted Image

0_Zippy
    0_Zippy

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5196 posts
  • Minecraft: x_Zippy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Novacose, pat yourself on the back man. Mind you, this is coming from possibly the most negative person on these forums. Not only is the idea itself good, but you took the time to give us an animated image of your idea. First rate.
Hey, you there. Yes, you! Are you thinking about posting a suggestion on the forums anytime soon? If so, please read this before doing so.

MoSteel7
    MoSteel7

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

This reminds me of Fallout New Vegas where you got to this vault and you have a crap ton of gold bars weighing 30 lbs each.  Take as many as you can carry and then escape.  I support this.

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11002 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostNovacose, on 19 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

So I guess what would have to happen is: the texture would be (for one brick) 8x8x16. Two next to each other would result in 2 8x8x16 blocks. When the third one was added, there would be another 8x8x16 brick on top of the two previous bricks.
That isn't a bad idea, but I think it should go up to four gold bars per space. As Melkior said, this would allow people to stack gold "piles" on top of each other neatly. You can't really stack 2 bars on top of 1 realistically (I know, minecraft realism is a joke and should stay a joke, but it would look better).
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

marshmellow396
  • Minecraft: NOt telling

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostGoldTools, on 12 November 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

How would the mechanics work? If you place 2 side-by-side and if they have the dimensions of a flower pot, would it automatically turn into a Gold Slab or something? You can't place 2 flower pots on the same block... I don't think Java can run super tiny blocks that well for it to be on one whole block.
ever hear about the little blocks mod? or redpower 2? they both hav tiny blocks. repower has hundreds of assortments of different sized blocks especially when in the tekkit mod there are like 5 pages of spawnable small blocks and slabs and corner pieces and tube like blocks etc.

Frog81
    Frog81

Enderdragon Slayer

• Members
  • 10472 posts
  • Minecraft: frog81
  • Xbox:Gorfeywog

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

Should this work with iron ingots too? I mean, if gold can be placed, iron would be a simple retexture.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Jake Von
    Jake Von

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1070 posts
  • Minecraft: JakeVon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostFrog81, on 21 November 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

Should this work with iron ingots too? I mean, if gold can be placed, iron would be a simple retexture.
Technically, it would require a bit of, said roughly, "rewiring", but compared to other programming, yes, it would be simple. Unfortunately for us (I am woe!), forges don't exist, so I can't make a proper blacksmith's shop, which means iron ingots would provide less of an atmosphere in those environments than they should.
It's hard criticizing ideas when one is tired, so you'd better appreciate it when I criticize yours.

Fire
    Fire

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Necro, Sorry.

I like the concept of placing Ingots down as a stack of nine, 3 first, then another 3 placed going the opposite way, then a final three on top.

Also piles of gold coins, gemstones, gold thrones and other vanity items.
My Friends File hosting site.
www.filepak.com

nNa: I'm pretty sure it would be really annoying in the middle of the night when you are walking around your courtyard in the castle and an army of skeletons shoots arrows over the wall.

Coga19000

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Seems a nice one. You got my support.
"A theory states that, if anyone discovers how and why the Minecraftia was created, and why it was created with its certain shape, it will instanlty dissapear and be replaced by another, ever more bizzare and weirdly-shaped."

NagaviperTheLord

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

This is a pretty good idea. Support.