• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Upgrading Computer !

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

lildude123

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hey guys I am upgrading my computer, dont know my complete budget it may be $500. I have a 6850 a 550W PSU and a AMD Phenon 2 X4 3.0GHz Quad Core Processor I like them parts, but a lot of games I cannot run on Med/High Settings.

I was willing to buy a new Graphics Card, (may need a new PSU) and a new CPU, hopefully all the others are good, not so sure though.

I was thinking maybe a GTX 650 or a GTX 560ti, a i5 2500k, and maybe a 650W or a 750W PSU, can someone help me out with these parts. I did a bit of research on them but a lot of sites have different opinions, by the way i'm going to be gaming only on these, hope to run all the games these days on (MAX) settings.

I need it to be an Australian shop I have some my friend suggested me, but if you know better than him, mainly doing for pricing because I don't have that much I can spend:

http://www.austin.net.au/

http://pccasegear.com/

those 2 he suggested me but if you know if there is one better please tell me.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

jppk1
    jppk1

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5336 posts
  • Minecraft: jppk1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

No way you're going to fit all of that in your budget. The 3570k is already $230, leaving you with $270 for the motherboard(you will need one(!)) and the graphics card. Your power supply is fine for the upgrade if it's of decent quality, but if you need to upgrade it it's at least $70-80 more.

For the GPU I wouldn't recommend either of those, just because they are barely even upgrades to your current card, the 560 ti being about 30% faster and using a lot more power and the 650 ti being <10% faster but consuming significantly less electricity.

I'd go for the 7850, it's about 50% faster than the 6850 and about equal in power consumption while not being much more expensive than the other and actually fast enough for the upgrade to make sense. It costs $15 less than the 560 ti so you can scratch that one off the list.

This would do, but it's already $90 over and a lot more if you need the power supply:  http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/8EOv

lildude123

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yeah researching what is better now, 7850 would be a much better way to go, CPU is good and def need a motherboard, thx =)
Posted Image

CodofMC
    CodofMC

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5351 posts
  • Minecraft: NannerManCan

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

If you have an AM3+ motherboard you could upgrade the CPU to an FX 4300 or 6300.  That would be a noticeable improvement over your current CPU and would be quite cost effective.

TheFieldZy said:

Nobody's perfect, so neither is Hannah Montana Linux, but it's pretty great.

BC_Programming on Operating Systems said:

They all suck. They just suck differently. Sort of like prostitutes.

TheSinfoolGamer

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Remember to keep an eye out on AU eBay. I got my gaming desktop due to a cancelled custom order.

I love my computer, I can't remember all the specs but heres the basics

AMD Phenom x4-965 Antec900 8Gb/1TB ATI5670 also added a xonar xense soundcard/headset (PC350) bundle.

Basically you also have to think about whats right for you.

Eventually here's the final bits I want to upgrade:

- Change Graphics card to a minimum of 1gb (current one is 512mb, I think)
- go up a lil more in RAM (can never have too much ram)
- change the case (this is where you really have to think and look at whats good for you. The case is quite important. The PSU is not high enough and there are too many things pggy-backing off one another, plus I need more room in there. also, the fans are very very loud, this can be a problem when recording, the case had a stupid thing on front that in order to clean the 2 filters at front you have to unscrew about 12 screws, pull of hinges, and no matter what it says, the filters do not come off (thus making it hard to clean fan itself) Then the top huge fan doesn't work (found out this is a common occurence with this case) and that fan doesn't have any filter! So all the dust just falls straight in onto everything. I live in Country AU and have cats (and dogs, and seamonkeys, but the cats are in a position to be near the computer a lot), not a good mix with this case (nor with my PC350s which they destroyed, but thats another story) sure the case "looks cool" but its useless. So watch it with whatever case you get. My case, I also had to niggle around with a few things to "just" fit in the soundcard, the slots were too close together for current day card (not to mention if you added after market fans to cards).

So in summary, write down what you'll be doing with your computer, and organize accordingly (I've been having brief thoughts of moving my "box" to the other room, and making a hole through the wall for the cord, just so there is less noise ROFL.

With the case (at least, if going your own way with everything else) make sure it has good filters and that they are *easy to clean*/.

Posted Image

~ A friend told me I was delusional..... I almost fell off my unicorn ~ Fun Fact! Mosquitos don't just bite you. They also urinate on you after sucking your blood

RIP Henry the Ice-Cream Truck GTA4

dednoob6
    dednoob6

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4467 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Here's some good upgrades, a Vishera processor, new PSU, and a 7870.

View PostKata, on 13 October 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Women are weird.
NECKBEERD FORUM

jppk1
    jppk1

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5336 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postdednoob6, on 12 November 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Here's some good upgrades, a Vishera processor, new PSU, and a 7870.
The non-OC 7850 and 7870 Asus cards have quite a bit of problems, I'd stay away from them. We don't know if he need a new power supply or not and you could get $20 cheaper non-modular version of that if it's actually needed.

View PostTheSinfoolGamer, on 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Remember to keep an eye out on AU eBay. I got my gaming desktop due to a cancelled custom order.
A prebuilt computer from ebay? Horrible idea.

AMD Phenom x4-965 Antec900 8Gb/1TB ATI5670 also added a xonar xense soundcard/headset (PC350) bundle.
The case isn't great, you have a no-name hard drive, the gpu is weak and what a nice power supply. Pretty common for a prebuilt. Not great for gaming, by any means.

Basically you also have to think about whats right for you.
You seem to have forgotten that part somewhere.

Eventually here's the final bits I want to upgrade:
- Change Graphics card to a minimum of 1gb (current one is 512mb, I think)
- go up a lil more in RAM (can never have too much ram)
- change the case (this is where you really have to think and look at whats good for you. The case is quite important. The PSU is not high enough and there are too many things pggy-backing off one another, plus I need more room in there. also, the fans are very very loud, this can be a problem when recording, the case had a stupid thing on front that in order to clean the 2 filters at front you have to unscrew about 12 screws, pull of hinges, and no matter what it says, the filters do not come off (thus making it hard to clean fan itself) Then the top huge fan doesn't work (found out this is a common occurence with this case) and that fan doesn't have any filter! So all the dust just falls straight in onto everything. I live in Country AU and have cats (and dogs, and seamonkeys, but the cats are in a position to be near the computer a lot), not a good mix with this case (nor with my PC350s which they destroyed, but thats another story) sure the case "looks cool" but its useless. So watch it with whatever case you get. My case, I also had to niggle around with a few things to "just" fit in the soundcard, the slots were too close together for current day card (not to mention if you added after market fans to cards).
RAM=/= performance, and just to throw it out there, GHz=/= performance.
Actually you kind of can. With the money wasted on RAM that doesn't help you at all you could have instead invested that $50 on a better GPU and actually improved how the system performs. With that system 4GB would be more than enough, 8GB is overkill and anything above that is just a waste, you could never actually use that without upgrading the processor and the GPU(just because wasting two thirds of your budget doesn't exactly make a great system) and by doing heavy rendering or video editing.

Your problems with the power supply aren't cause by your bad case, it's because the prebuilt you bought has a low wattage power supply, most likely to save five or ten dollars. Pretty much all of these are the reason why you should build the computer yourself, to avoid this. And he's not going to buy a computer, he's going to upgrade the one he already has, which you had apparently missed.

user_1423866

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Depending on which Phenom II you have, I would keep it and try overclocking it instead. Many of the Phenom IIs can overclock to 4GHz or more for better performance, provided your motherboard is of good quality with a quality power phase layout and that you have an aftermarket cooler. This would leave more money to go towards the graphics card, which will be a more dramatic improvement in gaming performance.

Something like this if you do need to replace the motherboard: http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/nsbE

If the motherboard is good, feel free to up the card to a 7970 or better, or consider upgrading other components in your computer (maybe the power supply? I don't know the manufacturer or its efficiency). The video card could also be dropped to an HD7850/7870 if you need to.

lildude123

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

So can someone hit me up on what I should get ?, not sure since there is more opinions
Posted Image

Ankenmann2
  • Minecraft: ankenmann

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

View Postlildude123, on 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

So can someone hit me up on what I should get ?, not sure since there is more opinions

General consensus is to get a 7850/70, and if you have an AM3+ motherboard to upgrade to an FX-4300 or -6300.
Neckbeards! Doctor Cichocki does not approve of stupidity and neither do I, stop the spread of damned useless rules!

lildude123

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

so: for the radeon 7870, this one?

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19740

And the AMD processor:

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=20626
Posted Image

Ankenmann2
  • Minecraft: ankenmann

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

View Postlildude123, on 13 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

That's Bulldozer, which isn't nearly as good as Piledriver. You want the 6300, not 6200 or 6100.

Graphics card is fine.
Neckbeards! Doctor Cichocki does not approve of stupidity and neither do I, stop the spread of damned useless rules!

lildude123

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

That's Bulldozer, which isn't nearly as good as Piledriver. You want the 6300, not 6200 or 6100.

Graphics card is fine.

Alright one quick question I need to find out what my motherboard is right?

if so I have tried to do a dxdiag but I cant seem to find my motherboard, system model doesnt say much, I forgot what it was anyway. Can you give me a link to a program that I can check my system specs?

Edit: found one lol forgot to type in "spec's", can you link me to the best parts on the sight (PCCaseGear) I think I got it already hopefully you can jus tot make sure.

My motherboard is apparently called ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX
Posted Image

jppk1
    jppk1

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5336 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Your motherboard is fine, you'll propably need to update your BIOS though.

lildude123

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Your motherboard is fine, you'll propably need to update your BIOS though.

Won't have to update the PSU I currently have a 550W maybe a 750W?

If I have enough money should I get a 3570k? I hear that Intel processors are a lot better than AMD processors.

and if I don't I might as well get the:

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21806
Posted Image

jppk1
    jppk1

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5336 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

You won't be pulling more than 500W max, no need to update it.

Penguin236
    Penguin236

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Minecraft: Penguin236

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

View Postlildude123, on 13 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Won't have to update the PSU I currently have a 550W maybe a 750W?

If I have enough money should I get a 3570k? I hear that Intel processors are a lot better than AMD processors.

and if I don't I might as well get the

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21806

No, Piledriver is better than Sandy/Ivy Bridge, besides, if you switch to Intel, you will need a new motherboard.
New Laptop: i7 [email protected]  GTX660M and Intel HD4000  Win8x64  8GB DDR3  Lenovo Ideapad Y580

BKrenz
    BKrenz

Last Guardian of SCT

• Sectional Moderator
  • 4596 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostPenguin236, on 13 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

No, Piledriver is better than Sandy/Ivy Bridge, besides, if you switch to Intel, you will need a new motherboard.

What? Where'd you get that from?
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

pwiftw04
    pwiftw04

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostPenguin236, on 13 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Not sure if troll...
Or just stupid.
Ohio/Konnichiwa/Conbawa Gozaimasu.

jppk1
    jppk1

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5336 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

View Postpwiftw04, on 13 November 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Not sure if troll...