• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Growing Large Oak Trees?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

I was doing some landscaping, and got to the point where I wanted to force-grow a few dozen large oaks. But I found that it looks like the usual method doesn't seem to work now? (Making tubes of solid material - like dirt, stone, whatever - for the trunks to grow in) I keep getting either small trees with the leaves just coming right through the side of the tubes, or tall ones but they have just a few leaves on the top & no branches at all. (like tall spruce) I do get the occasional large oak, but it's no less random than doing it without the old force-grow method. This wasn't the case the last time I force-grew large oaks. (a few versions ago) It always worked perfectly.

I guess something changed with the code in one of the recent updates? Perhaps a certain material (for "force-grow tubes") will still work? Or is there a mod? (a mod for "large oak saplings" would be cool) Anyway, I searched around a fair bit but it didn't really lead me anywhere, other than to a thousand "similar-but-older-and-not-quite-the-same" topics.

Cheers!

Register or log in to remove.

barrygateaux

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

2 block high stack (of anything) with redstone on the top.
plant sapling next to it and bonemeal it.
bingo - big tree!

K1ngHoward
  • Minecraft: K1ngHoward

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I looked it up through the wiki and it states that oak trees do not require any horizontal space to grow. So a small oak tree can grow in a 1 by 1 by 7 height while a large tree requires a 1 by 1 by 14 height. Also on the wiki page it says that dirt, leaves, and saplings surrounding the sapling trying to grow will not affect its growth. Though your way may have worked i think it could work again if you used cobble to limit its growing area.
source:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tree

OrfulBiggun

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, they've changed the code for this. Not sure when. While watching Docm77's single player LP world I was surprised to see him plant like six or seven oak saplings, all in a row, with no space between them ... so I tried this for myself. And I found to my surprise that all the trees grew, with normal timing and everything, just as if I'd planted them five or six blocks apart from one another.

So yeah, it works like a charm if all you want is more wood, without a lot of fuss ... you hardly need any room at all now, there seem to be few restrictions for oak tree growth (at least in terms of other oaks being nearby). And to harvest you just start chopping and moving from one end to the other ...

If you want a monster oak, however ... yeah :-/. Not sure how you'd do that if the game doesn't care ... if I were doing this I'd just get out the bone meal and start rolling the dice. :-) Not a great solution, but at least you know it would work eventually, eh?

Maybe someone else has come up with a workaround ... you know, put a pressure plate on the north side and stand on it when you bone meal the tree ... wham, instant monster tree ... lol ...

Seriously, tho ... they should come up with a legit way to do this in survival, IMO, sort of like we do with jungle trees (four saplings). Don't know how, but the monster oak code is already there, why not give us the ability to force it?

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

K1ngHoward - thanks, but I already went thru that page. The info related to this may be out of date, because it doesn't seem to hold true now. (I used cobble already, too, as well as a few other materials)

barrygateaux - Really? haha OK I'll give that a whirl - thanks!

OrfulBiggun - your last 3 paragraphs there is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm looking for large oaks - the extra big ones with horizontal branches & the whole 9 yards. Lining some "highways" with them. Need lots. heh

Thanks for the input, folks.

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

OK - I just tried what barrygateaux said. I placed a column of 2 sandstone blocks, put redstone on top, planted oak sapling, and bonemealed it until it grew. It made a taller oak, but wouldn't make one with branches.

But.

I ended up trying 3 high, with a redstone torch on top, and planted the sapling beside that. BINGO! Large oak with branches every time! Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

(I doubt it has to be sandstone; it's just what I had most of on hand)

[Edit] After doing around 50 trees like this, I found the success rate of growing a large oak with branches was around 80-90%. It bumps up more if you go 4 high. Good enough for me!

barrygateaux

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

cool - glad it helped!

good trick isn't it :)

OrfulBiggun

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

View Postbarrygateaux, on 12 November 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

cool - glad it helped!

good trick isn't it Posted Image

Yes it is! I tried it for myself, and am glad to know about it (and the addendum about using 4 blocks, etc).

Now ... I'd like to know ... WHY does it work? Any idea? :-)

Ur-Quan
    Ur-Quan

Mark of the Beast

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Good info, knew abotu the rings (at 2 height) to make taller trees, never tought of going higher to get those branched trees! Love those for landscaping. They look good when they stand a bit separate, or centred in a villagesquare.
Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Just for kicks, here's what I used it for:

Posted Image

Posted Image

W.I.P., obv.

OrfulBiggun

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostKwitcherbelyakin, on 13 November 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Just for kicks, here's what I used it for:
<snip>
W.I.P., obv.

Egad. Dude, that is very nice. :-) Yeah, you really needed monster oaks for that ... big jungle trees might work, too, but they're so different ...

So what are you going for, here? Something Isengard-ish?

Kwitcherbelyakin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

heh well I'm not sure yet - only plan is to make it domed, add a keep/tower, maybe some buttresses, and just kinda go from there.

Luis
    Luis

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Plant sapling, bonemeal, plant dirt on the top of the branches of tree (break two down, place dirt then sapling) use bonemeal, rinse and repeat.

Ylemonade
  • Minecraft: Oxidiz3r

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Oooo! Nice build there :)

I too am a lover of big fattie trees, so that trick will definitely help me too. I did notice the change too. It got all wonky after the jungle biome update, I think.
Posted Image