Latest version: 0.8.0.45 (Minecraft 1.6)
Welcome to the thread of my work-in-progress mod called BetterStorage, for the lack of a better name. It adds more storage options, like storage crates, backpacks, reinforced chests, lockers, armor stands, locks, keys and much more... I'm aiming for fun, interesting and balanced features which would fit well into vanilla Minecraft, but also work nicely together with other mods.
BetterStorage will not get ported to 1.7 - at least not by me.
I will attempt to fix bugs for 1.6, but no new features will be added.
More on this and what's going to happen next on my blog:
Follow me for news and updates on my projects: @koppeh
and helpful information about
all the things in BetterStorage
To make crates connect, simply place one on the side of an existing crate block, which means you have to sneak while placing it; otherwise you'd open the crate's GUI. If you place a crate on a non-crate block, even if it's next to a crate, it won't connect.
Storage Crates, being the stubborn blocks that they are, want to be placed together in a cube-like formation. This is so they can't be used as cheap instant transportation. You'll know when you can't expand a crate pile in a certain direction if the placed crate doesn't connect to the existing one.
As an item, you can simply put it on the ground just like a chest.
To equip it, break it while sneaking. Careful, because if you don't sneak, it will break like a normal container and its items will just spill on the ground. If you find yourself unable to break a backpack, there's probably already something in your chest armor slot.
To unequip, sneak and right click the ground - or more specifically, the top side of a solid block - with an empty hand.
- You can access the backpacks on other players. Just stand closely behind them and right-click. If the player moves away or turns around the GUI will close.
- Normal backpacks pretty much work like leather armor, which means they take damage, can be enchanted, repaired and colored. They will drop their contents when they break.
- Protection enchantments will also protect the backpack from taking damage, similar to unbreaking, from the damage type they protect against.
- When you die while having a backpack equipped, it will drop as a block, much like a death chest, except it only works for the items inside the backpack.
There is quite a few config options to make backpacks suit your play style. Look at the Configuration Information section if you want to find out more about them.
The amount of items a backpack can hold can be changed, there is a setting that allows them to be opened while equipped and it's also possible to make them not take up any armor slots.
There is no crafting recipe for this backpack. Actually, I will only give you these two hints as to how you can get them: First, you will need an ender chest. Second, when you see it you will probably know where to get it, you'll just have to figure out how.
(The recipe can be mirrored.)
Locks are attached by right-clicking the container where the lock would go, and can be removed by right-clicking while sneaking with a fitting key.
Locks make the container they're attached to unbreakable, but the locks themselves can still be broken by repeatedly attacking them with a sword, axe or pickaxe. The amount of times a lock needs to be hit depends on the attack damage and enchantments of the tool used and the enchantments of the lock. Attacking a lock will take 2 durability from the tool (unbreaking still applies). Once the lock is broken it will take some damage and drop from the container, which can then be opened. Also note that keys can be enchanted to pick locks.
Keys and locks can be colored by combining them with some dye. There's two layers of colors which can be changed independently, depending on if you use 8 dyes or less.
(The key is not used in the recipe, you'll get it back.)
Persistance (I - V) - Makes the lock harder to break and the container more resistant to explosions.
Security (I - V) - Offers protection against key enchantments.
Shock (I - III) - Damages players trying to open, unlock or break the lock unsuccessfully.
Trigger (I) - Makes the block emit redstone when players try to open, unlock or break it unsuccessfully.
Lockpicking (I - V) - Opens / unlocks a lock once, then decreases the enchantment level.
Unlocking (I - V) - Has the ability to open more locks than those which were crafted from it.
Morphing (I - V) - Permanently changes the key into the one that would fit another lock.
Lockpicking can also remove the lock from the container, so it's always a good idea to completely remove the lock and put it back when you're done. That way you don't waste the enchantment by opening a chest repeatedly.
Security lowers the effective level of any key enchantments, to the point where they have no effect.
Unlocking V has a 100% chance to open an unenchanted lock. Lower levels have a lower chance.
By default, the crafting station can't craft automatically, but this can be turned on in the config file. The bottom of the block will look different depending on this setting. When enabled, automated systems, like hoppers, can pull the crafting result out of the bottom. Of course they won't clear items from the crafting grid, so the items required for crafting the recipes have to be present in the internal inventory.
(If crates are disabled the recipe will use a chest instead.)
Cardboard Boxes are one-use portable storage blocks with 9 slots. Place them, fill them, take them with you and then place them back down. After you've placed down a cardboard box which contains items, destroying it won't drop another cardboard box.
Cardboard Armor and Tools are very weak and pretty much useless, but they can all be colored. Yes, even the tools. They're meant as an alternative to leather armor for tournaments and such.
Cardboard items can be enchanted and repaired easily on the crafting station.
For a very low experience cost and without even using up the book you can put any enchantment you want on them. If you enchant them step by step, for example first applying protection I, then protection II, up to level IV, you can save 1 experience level per enchantment step. Simple enchantments such as protection and efficiency are free, but multiple enchantments on an item will increase the cost. The image below shows a full set of armor being enchanted with a protection 4 book.
Repairing is straight-forward too. One cardboard sheet can repair 100 points of damage. You have to fully repair all cardboard items in one crafting process, so you may need multiple cardboard sheets to repair multiple cardboard items. If the items are enchanted, you may have to pay some experience levels too. But unlike regular items in an anvil, the cost will never go up.
By crafting one with a potion on either side (you can use 2 different ones), you'll be able to drink from it when wearing the helmet. Instead of instantly using up the potion, you'll be able to use it 12 times for a 12th of the effect strength or duration. Drinking from it multiple times will increase the duration of the effect.
This means all of the items have aspects associated with them. And well, then there's the Thaumaturge's Backpack and Thaumium Chests. After you get to a certain point in Thaumcraft, you'll be able to unlock the "Magical Storage" research. The entry in the Thauminomicon will tell you everything you need to know.
Flint Blocks are pretty self-explanatory: They are the flint equivalent to iron, redstone, coal, etc. blocks. They're crafted using 9 flint, and can be crafted back into 9 pieces of flint.
A Slime in a Bucket can be acquired by right clicking a tiny slime with a bucket. You can pick up regular slimes, magma cubes, thaumic slimes from Thaumcraft, blue slimes from Tinker's Construct and pink slimes from MineFactory Reloaded. If there's more mods I need to support let me know!
Friendly Endermen can be found roaming around. It's been said they came to the overworld centuries ago, where they found a miner called Steve. They became friends and also pacifists as a result - so I guess neither looking nor attacking them will make them angry..? Apparently they also learned how to craft things from Steve and can be seen traveling around with-- mhh.. the rest of this text is unreadable.
Oh and there's also a little homage to a certain streamer I used to watch almost daily for at least a month. A certain angry chicken can be summoned through-- more unreadable text, dangit. If only you knew its name. But why would that help?
Videos / Spotlights
Aqua Gaming (Version 0.8.0)
Greatlando (Version 0.8.0)
ByteSauce (Version 0.7.3)
VigorousHydroGaming (Version 0.6.1)
Defeater33 (Version 0.6.0)
Direwolf20 (Version 0.5.0)
CaptainSours (Version 0.4.2)
KeKoSlayer29 (Version 0.3.4)
Planned Features & Ideas
- Full metal / gem chest: More expensive, more durable, more storage
- Vault, stores a large number of individual items, similar to the creative inventory screen (with search)
- Invisibility enchantment for locks / containers
- Rare enchantment that allows picking up a container with its contents
- Backpack enchantments for auto-supplying, auto-picking-up, deathchest
- Some form of liquid storage. RedPower 2 anyone?
- Using Locks to lock iron doors
- Eating slimes in buckets
- Display case, single item storage, can be used to (un)equip quickly
- Ability to label chests using item frames, displays custom / first / most common item
- Digit / password lock, redstone and thaumium lock
- Button-like block that emits redstone when correct key is inserted
- Reinforced chest minecarts or other minecart related storage
- Some form of experience storage
Issues & Mod Compatibility
- Leaving the end through the portal created by killing the enderdragon will not take your backpack / items with you. If you happen to play with MystCraft, using a linking book works just fine.
Issue with Forge, won't fix.
- Key used to craft locks in the crafting station causes issues.
The key might disappear "randomly" and trying to put it into a keyring will cause a crash
Will be fixed in the next version.
- Crash when crafting certain mod items in the crafting station.
This is an issue with the mod the item is from. Please let both me and the mod author know. They likely forgot a @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) on their registerIcons methods, possible in other places as well.
Items from the following mods seem to cause this issue: Biomes O' Plenty, Industrial Craft 2, Redstone Arsenal, Railcraft. It's very likely there's a lot more out there.
Since build 45, this won't happen when the auto-crafting setting is turned off.
Report to mod author, can't fix on my end.
- Crash related to storage crate when placed next to or accessed by machines.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't be called client-side.
The mod accessing the crate is trying to do so on the client-side of things. The client does not have information about the items inside a container, so doing this is pointless.
If the game crashes right after loading a world, either disable the enableCrateInventoryInterface config setting, or remove the crate / other machine with an external editing program.
Issue with other mod, report to its author.
- Moving or teleporting blocks. Crates currently do not like to be moved. Other containers might not work too well either. Expect things to break.
- Smart Moving and others: Custom armor models (such as the backpacks') aren't supported.
- Ender Storage: Vanilla ender chests aren't placable, has to be enabled in its config.
- MCPC+ causes a lot of issues with mods and therefore bug reports than can't be tracked down, because it's not the mods' fault. If you use it, first make sure you can reproduce the bug without it. Feel free to report bugs related to MCPC+ if you have some knowledge and can actually help me fix them.
About Storage Crates:
Storage crates used to have issues with other things that tried to change their inventory. But this has been fixed now. If you've updated from a previous version you have to set enableCrateInventoryInterface to true in BetterStorage's config file.
Because there's still a slight chance mods might not interact with crates (or any inventory for that matter) correctly, there's a built-in failsafe which will prevent any further interaction until the next restart and log a warning + location of the crate pile. If this happens let me know so I can try and get things fixed.
For any modders out there working on a mod that does inventory manipulating stuff, if you're interested there's an interface which you can use to access the whole crate inventory fast and safe. If you don't use it it'll default to a less convenient "block view" of the crate that only shows a few items from the crate at a time. In case you have questions, just throw me a message!
It is recommended to look into the Issues & Mod Compatibility section at least once, especially before reporting bugs, and the Update Information below before updating.
BetterStorage 0.8.0.45 for Minecraft 1.6.4.
If you're playing with Thaumcraft, you need to update it to version 4.1.
(I will compile a TC 4.0 compatible version of this build on request.)
For all downloads / older / in-development versions here and here - use at your own risk!
Requires a recent version of Minecraft Forge.
The source code for this mod is available here: github.com/copygirl/BetterStorage
You can report bugs here, and even contribute translations. Feel free to do so!
Keep in mind that since this is a "Work In Progress" mod, future versions might not be 100% compatible with the current one. Also there's always the chance of something breaking, but I'm trying my best!
If you're interested in ALL the changes, check the release changelogs or all commits on GitHub.
- Crafting station won't crash while auto-crafting is turned off
- Fixed crafting station using up container items (like keys in lock recipes)
- Fixed config settings missing their comments
- Improved the crafting station's recipe handling
- Equipping a backpack is now a little faster
- Breaking a backpack (not sneaking) takes quite a bit longer
- Stopping to sneak while breaking a backpack resets the breaking progress
- Fixed issues when changing the backpack size after having used backpacks
- Fixed a startup crash when disabling cardboard sheets
- Fixed named friendly endermen despawning
- Added crafting station (still a bit work-in-progress)
- Added crafting station cardboard enchantment and repair recipes
- Added slimes in a bucket
- Added flint blocks
- Added comparator support to crates, chests, lockers and armor stands
- Changed recipe of cardboard sheets
- Changed how backpacks drop on death
- Changed cardboard item durability and damage
- Gave cardboard items chance not to get damaged depending on number of enchants
- Fixed issue with crates related to switching worlds
- Fixed a dupe bug with iChun's Sync mod
- Removed cardboard box right-click functionality
- Removed Inventory Tweaks support, since it caused problems
- And a bunch more fixes and adjustments ...
- Added connected textures to crates
- Changed the placement of crates and how they connect
- Fixed crash if something other than a player right-clicks an entity
- Fixed out of bounds exception in armor stand onPickBlock
- Fixed backpack being lost when dying with keepInventory on
- Machines and such can now interact with crates again
(Change your config if you're updating from a previous version to enable this!)
- Fixed a crash when placing a backpack with things like Waila installed
- Right clicking a cauldron with dyable items will remove the color
- Pressing pick block on an armor stand will give the armor in creative
- Added config option to allow backpacks being worn with armor
- Enchanted backpacks will now have the enchanted effect as block / item
- Added reinforced lockers
- Added cardboard box
- Added cardboard armor and tools
- Added drinking helmet
- Thaumcraft 4 support
- Locked containers unbreakable, locks now breakable
- Added config option to open backpacks while
- Backpacks try to drop as a block now when the carrier dies
- Adjusted backpack durability to be a bit lower
- Backpacks dropped from mobs may despawn after 5 minutes
- Changed key coloring, added lock coloring
- Lock and key enchantments don't go on books anymore
- Added some special dungeon loot
- Lots of other changes and fixes
!! Incompatible with previous versions !!
- Fixes large reinforced chests from crashing at chunk borders
- Fixes Inventory Tweak support
- Fixes a pretty serious lag issue
- Capes are hidden properly now, should fix crash with some FTB mod
- Fixed a nasty crash with backpacks on BiblioCraft's armor stands
- Slightly increased range at which equipped backpacks can be opened
Mostly important bug fixes, balance and small cosmetic changes
- Fixed crates not saving items correctly in some cases
- Changed locker model and texture (texture packs need to update)
- Changed backpack recipe, so it's not crafted like pants with wool and gold
- Added thaumium chest, available with Thaumcraft research
- Adjusted durability of backpacks
- Protection enchantments now prevent the backpack from taking damage
Made possible thanks to the debugging and coding skills of theZorro266.
- Disabled crate inventory interface by default
- Added a config option to enable said interface
- Increased ender backpack durability
- Fixed a bug where crates sometimes wouldn't connect properly
- Fixed equipping a backpack replacing whatever you had equipped before
- Added ender backpacks
- Added thaumaturge's backpack, only available with Thaumcraft
- Players can open backpacks on other players
- Backpacks are dyeable just like leather armor
- All containers can be named in an anvil and will display that name in their GUI
- Fixed a crash when moving items from a crate to the player inventory
- Fixed backpack items dropping with keepInventory gamerule on
- Fixed something related to the API, crates are now fully supported by Applied Energistics
Probably quite a bit more, but you know me and my memory ...
- Fixed backpacks dropping as an item with their contents
- Added backpacks and keyrings
- Added API for crates and improved the one for locking
- Armor stands can be rotated in 16 different directions now
- Fixed orientation code - chests, lockers and such may be oriented differently
This release was made possible with the help of SubSide.
- Fixed key and lock crafting while holding shift
- Fixed key and lock crafting, should now finally work
(there still is an issue when holding shift while crafting)
- Increased chance to open locks for Unlocking keys
- Added lockers and armor stands
- Added a bar to the crate GUI, showing how full it is
- Added BetterStorage creative tab
- Rewritten chests to they fit in one block ID
- Fixed a crash caused by using keys on other blocks
- Many more behind-the-scenes changes
- Fixed Reinforced Chests server-side crash
- Fixed crash when destroying crates from pre-0.4.1 versions.
- Added key and lock enchantments
- Added Reinforced Zinc Chest
- Restricted Storage Crate placement
- Fixed duplicate key recipe not working when key is not in the corner of the crafting matrix
- Lock recipe now uses 1 iron ingot
- A few little changes, mostly under the hood
- Fixed a bug where destroyed crates would not drop multiple item stacks
- Updated to Minecraft 1.4.6
- Fixed a crash bug related to splitting crate piles
- Fixed an exploit caused by placing a chest next to a locked chest
- Locks now drop when a locked chest is destroyed
- Added locks and keys
- Made crates compatible with BuildCraft and Railcraft
- Various little changes
- Fixed server crash
- First public pre-release
In version 0.7.0, I did some changes that break compatibility with previous versions. Upgrading anyway and playing an old world may cause items to be lost and / or crashes.
In version 0.6.0, some code was changed for the sake of correctness, but it will screw up the orientation of chests and lockers already placed down. Unsure if this can cause any serious problems or crashes, so please back up your worlds, and move the items in an older version if problems do arise.
In version 0.5.0, reinforced chests got a rewrite, so they fit into a single block ID, along with a lot of other changes. When updating from a previous version, make sure to empty all items from reinforced chests and remove them from your world, otherwise face the consequences!
First of all, know that pretty much every item, block or enchantment in BetterStorage can be disabled by setting the ID in the config to 0. Don't like the cardboard stuff? Do this and it's like it never existed! Note that this actually stops the thing from being created / registered at all, it doesn't just disable the recipe. If a server has it, the client will need it too. If you just want to disable the recipe there's mods which can do that.
Now to the more useful settings ...
Storage Crate options
enableCrateInventoryInterface (Default: true)
Setting this to false will disable the storage crate's inventory interface, which is what makes other blocks (hoppers, pipes, etc.) and in some cases entities (like Thaumcraft golems) able to interact with them.
backpackRows (Default: 4)
Controls the size of backpacks. You can change it to have from 1 row up to a double chest worth (6 rows) of items in it.
enableBackpackOpen (Default: false)
If you don't like that you have to place down a backpack to get access to the items inside, enable this setting and you will be able to open it while equipped by simply pressing a key. Note that this is controlled by the server if you're playing multiplayer.
backpackChestplate (Default: true)
As long as this is enabled, backpacks will take up the chestplate armor slot when equipped. They'll work as described above: Protect from damage, take damage, and eventually even break.
When disabled, backpacks will not be equipped to the armor slot (and instead are transported to the mystical land of baloonicorns). It can be used and interacted with like normal and will still render on the player, but stop protecting from and receiving damage.
dropBackpackOnDeath (Default: true)
Not sure why anyone would disable this, but here's an option that, when disabled, makes backpacks drop their items instead of trying to place themselves on the ground when the wearer dies.
enableBackpackInteraction (Default: true)
Again, you are a horrible person if you disable this. Just kidding. When this option is disabled, players can't access the backpacks that other players have equipped.
reinforcedColumns (Default: 13)
For people who think reinforced containers are too large there's an option to make them smaller (9 or 11 columns). Before you ask: No, there won't be an option to make them larger or give them different sizes depending on the container's material.
enableStationAutoCrafting (Default: false)
When enabled, allows automated systems to automatically craft items by pulling them out of the bottom of the crafting station. Some mods might not work "correctly" and could cause problems, which is why it's disabled by default.
stationAutocraftDelay (Default: 10)
The time in game ticks (20 ticks ~ 1 second) it takes for an item to be automatically crafted and then able to be pulled out of the crafting station. This option is primarily for people who want autocraft-enabled crafting stations, but want them to be slower for balance reasons.
enableHelpTooltips (Default: true)
If you're not a fan of the help tooltips on items, you can disable them with this.
I don't want anyone profiting from something I've made and put a lot of work into, especially by sending people through stupid adf.ly links, unless they too put a lot of work in their modpack. If you do more than just throw together a bunch of mods and call it a pack, please message me and I will consider giving you permission.
These people have explicit permissions to redistribute BetterStorage:
- Slowpoke / FTB Team (All official Feed The Beast modpacks)
- TheMattaBase (Tutorial Island and all future projects / modpacks)
- The MineUK Network (All MineUK Network server modpacks)
- Joebuz (All VoidsWrath modpacks)
Credits, Contact & Donations
Thanks to everyone for motivating and supporting me!
Thanks to Notch, Mojang, MCP and Forge for making this possible!
Thanks to all the modders for the cool mods I play with every day!
Special thanks to Azanor, ChickenBones, micdoodle8, oitsjustjose, Player, skyboy, SoundLogic, SubSide and theZorro266, who all helped me in some way.
Thanks for providing translations to crafteverywhere, TDarkShadow, tonkku107, VeryBigBro and Vexatos.
Feel free to contact me via private message, email or Twitter.
I'm also on IRC on esper.net as copygirl in my channel #obsidian, and I hang around in #Direwolf20.
I've been working on BetterStorage for over a year now, so if you enjoy playing with my mod and want to give your appreciation, please consider donating. So far, I've received $41 in total from 4 donations, as well as the game The Stanley Parable.
In the event that my mod becomes self-aware, I am not responsible for any damage it causes.