• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

DON'T PANIC -- Regarding "Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!"

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

faceuckadoss

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, it was getting annoying

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

NorthAntrim

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostPersona, on 04 November 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

I'm not trying to get banned, however this post by you leaves me disgusted.

Why the hell would ANYONE want to disable chrome warnings just too use a site, an issue that will be thwarted down in around a week just to browse a site?

I would advise no one to disable it unless they are 100 percent sure you are browsing clean websites free of viruses at all times.

See; they are made to be annoying for a reason.

The only exception is if you are disabling it for only use on the forum, but then enabling it when you are done, however I would still not trust even this website for a safe browsing experience..  This doesn't mean I don't trust Curse, however what will prevent this from happening again?

Either way, glad to see the issue is sorted. (Hopefully)
I hope no one really took this advice by North, or atleast re-enabled the warnings.

I also recommend adblock plus.  Not to say I don't support the developers, however it is a way to go for a much more safer experience.

About the chrome warnings:
Yes, it is annoying at times; but then I just refer to the console to fix it. NO SITE, not even famous ones will always be 100% clean. Careful what you do online.
/

I disabled the warning from Chrome because it was warning me every other page that the MCF was dangerous etc, despite having bypassed it multiple times already. This was very annoying.

My OS isn't Windows, so most viruses won't affect me anyway, and I had no intention of straying off my usual sites for the period I had the warnings disabled.

AdBlock isn't going to stop the warnings (already using it). The warnings are displayed because Google found issues with the site, not my browser.

I'm very careful what I do online, thank you.

PLEASE "Posted Image" WHEN REPLYING TO ME • USEFUL LINKS AND INFO:

Rules | Support | Minecraft Servers Status | MCF Help | Mojang Support Center

Posted Image

JonJayJay00
  • Minecraft: JonJayJay

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Well. I knew something was wrong the second I saw that screen.
I blame creepers.Posted Image
Posted Image

like2omg
    like2omg

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I hate to break it to everyone, but I have Linux and I have had a virus before ... although it was my own fault. A bad copy of a Windows program that was infected had infected my system because I was using it with Wine (Wine is, to put it into words, a Windows code "translator" of sorts -- works on Linux and Mac and is 100% free! (100% not-a-virus too)).

OFF TOPIC / NO NEED TO REPLY TO SECTION:
I really need to find out how to see my "photo" and the "Preview" / 'Go Advanced'-like feature for this "Add Comment" section.

EDIT #1 SECTION:
Wine wasn't the problem for me, it was my stupidity of using that Windows program.
Oh yea... (@ my off topic section) the Edit feature shows the whole part Posted Image

0strichGuy11
  • Minecraft: mrostrichman
  • Xbox:lolconsole

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Scanning right now. I wasn't worried at all before but now that the talk of malware pops up, I'm scanning right away!
EDIT: 400th post FTW!

kude42
    kude42

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1286 posts
  • Minecraft: Kude42

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Posted Image

Opera wins again! I was able to cancel the download(and two others like it...) Any information on what this is?

EDIT: Sorry, I put the wrong picture up. Fixed now.

DaneDawg
    DaneDawg

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Minecraft: DaneDawg

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

my mac got the virus and it broke the machine. It's fixed now but I was wondering what happened.

davidp5118
  • Minecraft: davidp5118
  • Xbox:davidp5118

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks citric :)
file:///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif///C:/Users/Public/Pictures/savages.gif

KesusRiced
  • Minecraft: KesusRiced

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Dunno if it's to do with minecraft forums, but i logged onto my laptop, opened my previous session, refreshed all tabs, and the minecraft forums mods tab suddenly went and somehow went to this site "ievae.portrelay.com" (didnt stay on page long enough to get full url because avg INSTANTLY popped up a message telling me they blocked a threat from the website. This is the only time it's happened, but the weird thing is, I looked on google, and couldn't find ANYTHING to do with the page...

I scored 91% on the Minecraft Trivia Quiz. How much do you know about Minecraft?

JackTDawson

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostNorthAntrim, on 04 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

My OS isn't Windows, so most viruses won't affect me anyway, and I had no intention of straying off my usual sites for the period I had the warnings disabled.

Uhmmm..  Virii do not target the OS. Meaning ALL Operating System are at risk. Doesn't matter what you have.  MAC, Linux, Windoze..  they all have their virii. The problem.. or misconception is, that the virii come through ads. ALL OSs have a browser to browse the internet. All browsers read the same pages, the same ads, and use the same javascripts. No one is exempt. Some people get less virii less then others, true. But its not really about the OS. The reason people pick on windows, and use statistics saying "See windows users get hacked the most" is because MAC and Linux combined do not add up to what Windows has on the market. But if MAC was as big as Windows is, it too would have just as many problems. A statistic on the net can be interpreted in any way you want. Reminds me of relgiion. Bottom line, saying that your safe just because your not on windows is just flat out not true.

Heck all it takes is one picture that has a virus in it to wipe out your computer. And MAC computers are Intel based now. Welcome to Windows Hell.

treeco123
    treeco123

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4623 posts
  • Minecraft: mearswood

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Look, can someone PLEASE make this not pink, it's slightly obnoxious and rather painful. Sorry this is a little off topic, but I want to keep my eyesight.

Posted Image

citricsquid
  • Minecraft: citricsquid
  • Xbox:citricsquid

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Posttreeco123, on 07 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Look, can someone PLEASE make this not pink, it's slightly obnoxious and rather painful. Sorry this is a little off topic, but I want to keep my eyesight.

Done! Might take a few mins to update :)

treeco123
    treeco123

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4623 posts
  • Minecraft: mearswood

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

View Postcitricsquid, on 07 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Done! Might take a few mins to update Posted Image
I honestly didn't expect anything to be done about it. I mean, it's a fairly small thing and stuff. Maybe I'm just too cynical about the staff here after some of the things that have happened. Thanks.
Anyway, I still haven't had a single thing saying this forum is dangerous. It's worrying me more than it would if it actually said at some point.

Posted Image

citricsquid
  • Minecraft: citricsquid
  • Xbox:citricsquid

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Posttreeco123, on 07 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I honestly didn't expect anything to be done about it. I mean, it's a fairly small thing and stuff. Maybe I'm just too cynical about the staff here after some of the things that have happened. Thanks.

:)

View Posttreeco123, on 07 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Anyway, I still haven't had a single thing saying this forum is dangerous. It's worrying me more than it would if it actually said at some point.

The issue was resolved within an hour of the front page post, so you should be fine now :)

SpastikMuffin
  • Minecraft: SpastikMuffin
  • Xbox:PS3 DAWG!!!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Whew! So there's no harm. Thank goodness, i thought i wouldn't be able to go on minecraft forums!
Posted Imagex1000 to whoever subs!

Frontrange76

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Any word on what the actual malicious payload was so we know what to look for? I have seen mention of blaster.exe.

Recommendations on a good malware scanner for OSX?

Crawfish
    Crawfish

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4175 posts
  • Minecraft: Crawfishness

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Thank you, Citric, for fixing this so quickly. Any other forum I go to would have taken an excess of two weeks to fix an issue such as this!
Also, thanks for removing the pink. It was burning my eyes out. xD

Posted Image

KesusRiced
  • Minecraft: KesusRiced

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I managed to find the link to the page i was forwarded to from the mc forums mods page. I looked it up and it still isnt even mentioned anywhere on the internet
I'll post the link...but...
Spoiler: Don't click this link, it's just for reference. It set off my avg

I scored 91% on the Minecraft Trivia Quiz. How much do you know about Minecraft?

Derpygoose
  • Minecraft: Derpygoose

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Thank goodness. I thought something had gone wrong with my laptop. Glad they fixed it, it could have caused some serious issues.
Posted ImageLOVE ME! Muffins?

Persona
    Persona

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostNorthAntrim, on 04 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

/

I disabled the warning from Chrome because it was warning me every other page that the MCF was dangerous etc, despite having bypassed it multiple times already. This was very annoying.

AdBlock isn't going to stop the warnings (already using it). The warnings are displayed because Google found issues with the site, not my browser.

I'm very careful what I do online, thank you.

So your safe, but what about the others?
As for my rage, I am sorry.  I go off on a tangent sometimes, expessily when I disagree with something.
That's just one of my flaws, you are going to have to get over that.

Anyways.  Glad to see this is over.