Automatic Minecraft Mod Installer for Mac OSX

mod apple mac osx installer

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

tempestris

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image

Minecraft Mod Installer

An automatic Minecraft mods installer for OSX.

The existing versions of Minecraft Mod Installer no longer works with the 1.6.2 release. Don't use them.

MMI is an automatic Minecraft mods installer for OSX. Written in AppleScriptObjC, it allows to quickly install those mods which requires to copy .class files into the minecraft.jar archive. Download the mod you wish to install: MMI will automatically unzip the file, extract the minecraft.jar archive in a temp folder, copy the .class files, delete the META-INF content if it's there, pack it back into its original location and make a restorable backup in case something goes wrong. It also supports custom minecraft.jar location.

Posted Image

Latest version: 2.0b

Download here: Minecraft Mod Installer

Latest release notes:

v2.0b - released 2013-03-13
  • completely rebuilt in Cocoa!
  • beta release
  • shiny new interface
  • new icon
  • implemented status monitor with operations output
  • implemented default selector for minecraft.jar and backups
  • implemented custom location for minecraft.jar and backups
  • implemented optional backup feature
  • small code fixes
MMI has been completely rebuilt in Cocoa! Since this is a beta release, I ask anyone to report any bug found in this topic so that I can promptly fix it!
Also, I'm now open for feature request: if you have some feature in mind you might wanna see in future updates of MMI, please write in this topic and I'll try my best to code it.
Thanks Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

selimoy
    selimoy

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi. This is really good. But, can you get it to do stuff like Player API? Posted Image

Waffle4903

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I installed the dragon mounts mod and forge, and now my minecraft is frozen on the black screen

Sergeant_shred

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

it keeps saying that a type 1 error occured. Also it shows up with a bunch of random letters and says couldnt open the folder.

tempestris

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

The download link changed: please check out the new website at http://tempestris.gi...-Mod-Installer/

View PostWaffle4903, on 15 December 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

I installed the dragon mounts mod and forge, and now my minecraft is frozen on the black screen

The app doesn't work with Forge or ModLoader, so you can't install Forge nor any mod which requires Forge. Please use the supported installing method written in the mods description. Minecraft Mod Installer only works for mods like TooManyItems which requires to actually add files to minecraft.jar.

View PostSergeant_shred, on 03 January 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

it keeps saying that a type 1 error occured. Also it shows up with a bunch of random letters and says couldnt open the folder.

Could you be more specific please? OSX version, Minecraft version, Mod you're trying to install. Also, can you tell me if it gives you this error after choosing the mod or before that? Please be sure that Minecraft is closed before running MMI. Also, are you running a guest account or an administrator account? I'll try to look into it. Thanks Posted Image

deadbuilder1
  • Minecraft: Deadbuilder

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Ah this will come in handy for a lot of confused players trying to install their mods,

tempestris

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hello everyone. Minecraft Mod Installer has been updated to version 1.2.

release note:

v1.2 - released 28/01/2013

implemented restore backup function
implemented loop function
improved messages
small fixes

You can find the new version here: http://tempestris.gi...-Mod-Installer/

Please report any bug here or on GitHub.
See ya Posted Image

tempestris

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hello again, I've update Minecraft Mod Installer to version 1.3.
You can find the new version here: Minecraft Mod Installer

release note:

v1.3 - released 09/02/2013

implemented multiple files selection
fixed loops errors

Please report any bug here or on GitHub.

CaspianWiley

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hi, this is really great - sorry for being a noob - but so many mods I try to download are .exe files and they dont work. I finally got one for the Explosives Plus mod, in .zip format, but the installer said it "couldn't find" it. Do you know why this might be?

I really want this explosives mod - but it seems so hard to find any mods at all that are available as .zip files.
Does anyone know a good place to find them?

Thank you!

Jake3231
    Jake3231

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

This is a really cool application.  I tried to make an app that does just this in AppleScript and failed .  You succeeded!  I'll look over you're code and see if I can find any bugs!  Great job.
Awesome!

tempestris

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostCaspianWiley, on 14 February 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Hi, this is really great - sorry for being a noob - but so many mods I try to download are .exe files and they dont work. I finally got one for the Explosives Plus mod, in .zip format, but the installer said it "couldn't find" it. Do you know why this might be?

I really want this explosives mod - but it seems so hard to find any mods at all that are available as .zip files.
Does anyone know a good place to find them?

Thank you!

Hi there. Can you please link me the explosive mod file so that I can try for myself and see if there is a bug in the code?
Please make sure that in the description of the mod it says that you just need to move the class file of the mod inside minecraft.jar and not elsewhere or in Forge/ModLoader folder.
About the mods: you can find most mods here in this forum, or here.

View PostJake3231, on 14 February 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

This is a really cool application.  I tried to make an app that does just this in AppleScript and failed .  You succeeded!  I'll look over you're code and see if I can find any bugs!  Great job.

Thank you! Please let me know if you need some info about the code: it should be pretty straightforward, but in case I'm here to explain!

person4772

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

every time i click on a zip it says something weirdPosted Image

tempestris

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

View Postperson4772, on 02 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

every time i click on a zip it says something weirdPosted Image

Hi, can you please paste the error message or link a screenshot?
Also, which version of OSX are you currently running?
Please, if it keeps crashing, try to download the source code here and run it from AppleScript Editor.

Thank you :)

Azza10aaron

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hello

Im having trouble selecting the filesPosted Image . I've never downloaded a mod or had much to do with mods before soo please try to be simple.

I've downloaded the files for the mods of the forums, but when i go select it doesn't let me select the mod files.
The mods im trying to download is TravellingHouse_v1.0.0 and the famous ICBM mod. im not sure if this will help but the travelling house gave me 2 files the other file says TravellingHousev1.0.0.zip.

Thanks if u can help.Posted Image

tempestris

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi there.
Both the Mods you mentioned require Forge to work and won't be installed via this tool.
You first need to install Forge and then drag them inside the mod folder which will appear (I raccomend reading the documentation of Forge and both mods).
However, you could try to install Forge via Minecraft Mod Installer. Download Forge and select it as zip file in the prompt. It doesn't always work and you could end up with Minecraft stuck in a black screen. If this happens, restore the backup that Minecraft Mod Installer will automatically create and try again. If it still won't work, you'll need to install it manually.

Azza10aaron

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hey,

Ok thanks for describing it well. If i cant get those mods what mods do you recommend which the program can do its thing with(Maybe Rei'sMiniMap). if u can come up with a few that would be great.Posted Image

Liefy
    Liefy

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Minecraft: ATLief

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Was this made using Applescript?
Posted Image

tempestris

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostAzza10aaron, on 10 March 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Hey,

Ok thanks for describing it well. If i cant get those mods what mods do you recommend which the program can do its thing with(Maybe Rei'sMiniMap). if u can come up with a few that would be great.Posted Image

Hello again. This tool is useful to install all those mods which require to move certain file inside the mine craft.jar archive, therefore not depending from ModLoader or Forge or anything else. You could install, for example, these two famous mod: TooManyItems and X-Ray Mod. Download the zip files and select them inside of Minecraft Mod Installer and it will automatically install them inside minecraft.jar archive.

Edit: I'm reading through the spec of Rei'sMiniMap that it may require ModLoader. You could try to install that mod without ModLoader and see if it works. If it doesn't, or Minecraft crashes, restore the backup and install ModLoader first, then try again with this tool.

View PostLiefy, on 10 March 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Was this made using Applescript?
Yes, you can check out the code on github.

Azza10aaron

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

OkPosted Image

Thanks for your time but i've looked around and in this mod description http://www.minecraft...-shifter-z-mod/ is says Open your minecraft.jar with an archive viewer so would that mod work. Thanks for the mod ideas but i dont want to cheat on servers soo i wont get the X-ray mod. But do you know if the TooManyItems mod operates in survival and on servers because if so i wont get it but if it only operates on single player creative that would be greatPosted Image

Thanks for your time and please keep helping mac owners that play minecraft. MOD ON!

Thanks

tempestris

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostAzza10aaron, on 11 March 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

OkPosted Image

Thanks for your time but i've looked around and in this mod description http://www.minecraft...-shifter-z-mod/ is says Open your minecraft.jar with an archive viewer so would that mod work. Thanks for the mod ideas but i dont want to cheat on servers soo i wont get the X-ray mod. But do you know if the TooManyItems mod operates in survival and on servers because if so i wont get it but if it only operates on single player creative that would be greatPosted Image

Thanks for your time and please keep helping mac owners that play minecraft. MOD ON!

Thanks

Hi. The Shape Shifter Z Mod should work with this tool since it requires to copy files inside minecraft.jar.
I don't think TooManyItems will work on servers, you can use it only locally. Be sure to check the specs of the server you are playing on, because they often block any kind of mod.
If you still need help with installation, be sure to ask.