Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.6.4] TabbyChat v1.10.00 - SMP Chat Overhaul

chat multiplayer logging filters

  • Please log in to reply
1416 replies to this topic

Poll: What feature do you want added next? (463 member(s) have cast votes)

What feature do you want added next?

  1. Additional language support (e.g. German) (46 votes [9.94%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 9.94%

  2. Movable chatbox (119 votes [25.70%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 25.70%

  3. Optionally disable update notifications (29 votes [6.26%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 6.26%

  4. Remove channel designation from chat within channel tab (25 votes [5.40%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 5.40%

  5. Optionally split log files by tab (49 votes [10.58%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 10.58%

  6. In-line image support (see posted images in chat) (195 votes [42.12%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 42.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61

FillWerrel
  • Location: Utah
  • Minecraft: FillWerrel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 01 November 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

You know what, I was horribly mistaken - the custom filters deal with colored chat, but the mod actually pulls out all the color codes, stores their previous positions, and then attempts to match the regular expression.  Afterwards, it applies any highlighting as necessary and re-inserts the color codes.

So, the custom filters actually DO ignore the text color/formatting codes.  My brain got sidetracked by all the code dealing with the removal/re-insertion.  My apologies.


Also, for clarification of the max length setting - it's an upper limit on the expected channel names when auto-searching for channels.  So the channel search expression is built by the channel delimiters (looks like it's brackets in your case), and then some number of alphanumeric characters between 1 and this setting.

For example, on the server I play on, TabbyChat automatically catches, creates tabs for, and re-directs chat starting with [g], [TC], [MOD], etc. - but not [Announcement] since "Announcement" is more characters than my max length setting.  So these announcement messages will only show on the first tab (asterisk).

I am having an issue. When I first installed the mod, the only chat tab I saw was global, with the default asterisk. No other channels I am a member of showed up on the tabs. How do I add channels to tabs?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#62

blackzom
    blackzom

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Seems pretty awesome, adding ease to chatting. My OCD is pleased!
Posted Image

#63

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostFillWerrel, on 30 November 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

I am having an issue. When I first installed the mod, the only chat tab I saw was global, with the default asterisk. No other channels I am a member of showed up on the tabs. How do I add channels to tabs?

Well, that's pretty much expected behavior for a fresh install.  TabbyChat will attempt to create tabs based on what it perceives to be chat channels, determined by a combination of user settings and chat parsing.  Basically, if the name of a chat channel appears at the beginning of every line surrounded by supported characters (such as brackets), TabbyChat can automatically make tabs for those channels and display that chat there.  More customization can be had by defining your own chat filters.

If you can post a screenshot that might show a bit of chat like what you typically see on the server you play on, I might be able to point you in a few good directions towards making this mod more helpful for you.
Posted Image

#64

theritualsuffering
  • Location: Somewhere in this universe, lost in space...
  • Minecraft: tenebraemaximus

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 29 November 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Something occurred to me that may help hone in on the forward-slash issue - to those of you who are experiencing frequently, do you typically use the "/" key to open the chat interface when typing commands?  Typically I usually use the "t" key to open the interface, and then type "/" to start a command.  Does this issue occur less frequently (if at all) if you use the "t" key instead?

Yes, this was the issue, and its fixed in the latest version. Thank you and good job :)

Posted Image
Click Here To Check Out The Server Forums

PVP Server at play.pokemonserver.net
Pixelmon Server at pixelmonserver.net


#65

dags_
    dags_

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Minecraft: dags_

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 29 November 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Regarding the chat history, you're definitely not the first person who's asked.  There's probably several different ways I could go about this, but I wouldn't want to do something terribly difficult and/or resource intensive - probably some way to scan back through logs and include messages from previous sessions without any coloring.  Before I go down some road here that isn't going to meet anybodies needs, I'd like to get a better idea of what you (and others) specifically have in mind for including chat history in the interface?  How far back would this recent history need to go?  What would you hope to see in the global tab?  The other tabs?  Some feedback in this area would be helpful.

Briefly checked out  version 1.4.2 and so far it's looking great! Not had any of the triple-slash problems (touch wood :P), and I really like the up and down arrow behaviour, feels much more natural, so thanks a-lot for that.

In terms of the chat history, I'd personally find useful just to have chat kept in memory between switching servers, perhaps up to the scroll history limit that's already in the mod?
So for example I'm on one server having a conversation, I need to switch to another, and then when I return the convo is still there to scroll back through. This sort of behaviour was possible in VRChatmods (R.I.P.). It wouldn't 'remember' chat between closing minecraft completely and starting it up again. In that sort of longer-term case I'm happy resorting to reading chatlogs in notepad or w/e.

That's how I personally tended to use that feature, so can't exactly speak for everyone else on the matter. I would say though that I'm in agreement about performance being priority, so if the overall experience is better without a history function, then I'd take that over something buggy/resource-intensive.

#66

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Ok, here's what I'm thinking...  previously, there has been requests to have the chat logs split up by channel.  I think making that change would be beneficial to including some past chat history in a relatively clean and resource-light way.  So currently, there is a "TabbyChatLogs" folder in your ".minecraft" directory.  I'll probably change the logging such that, within that folder, there is a subfolder for each server.  Within those folders, a new folder for each day.  Then, within that folder, the chat logs for that day will be kept.  Those logs will consist of one single unified log holding all chat, and additionally another log file for each tab.

When you login to a server, TabbyChat can go looking for pre-existing and recent log files for that server, scan through the last X number of lines for each tab, and add that text (in white or gray or something) to the tab.  So, perhaps it will only show the history for tabs that are created on that initial connection - the Default Channels setting plus any custom filters.  That's a lot easier than trying to scan through and process a single log file for X number of messages for each of Y number of tabs.


Alternatively, I could write it so that TabbyChat attempts to find chat history for a tab whenever it's created... that might be more useful, so I could give it a shot and see if there's a significant performance issue.

Also, I could consider switching the folder paths around, so you get a new folder in "TabbyChatLogs" for each day, and then a new folder in that one for each server.  That would probably make it more difficult to find chat history though.


I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or preferences anyone has on this proposal.
Posted Image

#67

bigDon_001
  • Location: Germany
  • Minecraft: bigDon_001

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Very cool mod! Downloading it :) :Diamond:
Posted Image

#68

ElectroBot4
  • Location: Canada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the multiline chat. Posted Image

View PostRocketMan10404, on 30 November 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Ok, here's what I'm thinking...  previously, there has been requests to have the chat logs split up by channel.  I think making that change would be beneficial to including some past chat history in a relatively clean and resource-light way.  So currently, there is a "TabbyChatLogs" folder in your ".minecraft" directory.  I'll probably change the logging such that, within that folder, there is a subfolder for each server.  Within those folders, a new folder for each day.  Then, within that folder, the chat logs for that day will be kept.  Those logs will consist of one single unified log holding all chat, and additionally another log file for each tab.

When you login to a server, TabbyChat can go looking for pre-existing and recent log files for that server, scan through the last X number of lines for each tab, and add that text (in white or gray or something) to the tab.  So, perhaps it will only show the history for tabs that are created on that initial connection - the Default Channels setting plus any custom filters.  That's a lot easier than trying to scan through and process a single log file for X number of messages for each of Y number of tabs.


Alternatively, I could write it so that TabbyChat attempts to find chat history for a tab whenever it's created... that might be more useful, so I could give it a shot and see if there's a significant performance issue.

Also, I could consider switching the folder paths around, so you get a new folder in "TabbyChatLogs" for each day, and then a new folder in that one for each server.  That would probably make it more difficult to find chat history though.


I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or preferences anyone has on this proposal.

This would create quite a lot of files and folders.

For temporary chat history, I'd recommend having a temporary file(s) that stores the last x number of lines/tabs (as well as archiving all content to the day's log to the actual log files). Sorting the logs into server (domains might be best especially for hosts that have multiple servers with the same population that traverses said servers - i.e. minez) folder, but having files within it (without folders) for each day would be best. Servers from different domains should have separated log files since its a different group of ppl on a different domain.

Tabs (if stored separately, should have 1 folder per tab, not day - annoying to have to move between 10 different folders to check logs for 10 days).

logs\
->    temporary.txt
->    temporary_tab1.txt
->    temporary_tab2.txt
->    yourminecraftserver\
->->    TabbyChatLog_11-29-2012.txt
->->    TabbyChatLog_11-30-2012.txt
->->    tab1\
->->-> TabbyChatLog_tab1_11-29-2012.txt
->->-> TabbyChatLog_tab1_11-30-2012.txt
->->    tab2\
->->->    TabbyChatLog_tab2_11-29-2012.txt
->->->    TabbyChatLog_tab2_11-30-2012.txt
->    otherminecraftserver\
->->    TabbyChatLog_11-29-2012.txt
->->    TabbyChatLog_11-30-2012.txt

#69

FryoKnight
  • Location: In my Zap Apple Orchard, waiting for Zap Apples to grow.
  • Minecraft: FryoKnight
  • Xbox:Fyro Knight

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Good job with this mod! Posted Image I recently became a Helper (sub-classed Moderator) on the server I play on and there was already about 6 Chats I had to deal with... Now I have them all nicely sorted out now. :3

Also, I bring you a list of mods that work with this one:
• Minecraft Forge
• OptiFine (already known)
• Friends Overlay
• CodeChickenCore
• NEI (Not Enough Items)
• Rei's Minimap
• Advance HUD (Already known)
• Inventory Tweaks (Already known)
• New Dungeon
• Dungeon Pack
• Backpacks

One thing i do ask though is the ability to Rearrange the Tabs, the ability to rename the tabs, and a way to have multiple chats in one tab (like Global and Local in one tab while have Staff Chat in another.)

Edit: Ok, I missed that part. Kinda wish there was a Video Tutorial for it though o.o I think I will ask ChazOffTopic to do one. :3

Posted Image


#70

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostFryoKnight, on 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Good job with this mod! Posted Image I recently became a Helper (sub-classed Moderator) on the server I play on and there was already about 6 Chats I had to deal with... Now I have them all nicely sorted out now. :3

Also, I bring you a list of mods that work with this one:
• Minecraft Forge
• OptiFine (already known)
• Friends Overlay
• CodeChickenCore
• NEI (Not Enough Items)
• Rei's Minimap
• Advance HUD (Already known)
• Inventory Tweaks (Already known)
• New Dungeon
• Dungeon Pack
• Backpacks

One thing i do ask though is the ability to Rearrange the Tabs, the ability to rename the tabs, and a way to have multiple chats in one tab (like Global and Local in one tab while have Staff Chat in another.)

Edit: Ok, I missed that part. Kinda wish there was a Video Tutorial for it though o.o I think I will ask ChazOffTopic to do one. :3

Thanks for the excellent compatibility info, I've updated the OP.

Moving and renaming tabs both are definitely on my roadmap.  Renaming tabs will likely appear sooner, and in conjunction with the ability to automatically add a server command to the beginning of every chat, specific to the tab (e.g. the "global" tab could be configured to put "/global" in front of every chat).

Moving/Rearranging might take a while...  part of me wants this to work similar to a web browser, where you can drag the tabs around to rearrange, or drag the tab off the chat box to make a new additional chat box.  I'm a little concerned doing this might be a lot more work than I want to bite off.  If I look into it and decide this to be the case, than rearranging tabs might come sooner.
Posted Image

#71

GretarJ
    GretarJ

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Hey! Awesome mod! I have some problems though Posted Image

I have set up 2 filters.

Filter 1: Chat (Anti spam filter)
Inverse match: ON
Filter to new tab: ON
Audio notification: OFF
Case-sensitive: OFF
Highlight matching text as: OFF
Filter Expression: has voted @|tenancy pay received

Filter 2: GretarJ (My mention channel)
Inverse match: OFF
Filter to new tab: ON
Audio notification: ON
Case-sensitive: OFF
Highlight matching text as: ON
Filter Expression: has been received from|-> me|GretarJ|Gretar|Greta|GreterJ|Greter|Gret

I have 2 problems.
People keep butchering my name so I want to catch different forms of it. This setup however notifies me everytime I write something.
I tried to add
GretarJ(?!:)
but then "Gretar" would catch it.. how can I get around this?
An even bigger problem is that when I write something globally, on the server I play on you add an asterisk "*" in front of what you say.  When I do that I disconnect and get the following message

Internal exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

But again, thanks for an awesome plugin! Hope you, or somebody else, can help me Posted Image
Cheers.

#72

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostGretarJ, on 04 December 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hey! Awesome mod! I have some problems though Posted Image

I have set up 2 filters.

Filter 1: Chat (Anti spam filter)
Inverse match: ON
Filter to new tab: ON
Audio notification: OFF
Case-sensitive: OFF
Highlight matching text as: OFF
Filter Expression: has voted @|tenancy pay received

Filter 2: GretarJ (My mention channel)
Inverse match: OFF
Filter to new tab: ON
Audio notification: ON
Case-sensitive: OFF
Highlight matching text as: ON
Filter Expression: has been received from|-> me|GretarJ|Gretar|Greta|GreterJ|Greter|Gret

I have 2 problems.
People keep butchering my name so I want to catch different forms of it. This setup however notifies me everytime I write something.
I tried to add
GretarJ(?!:)
but then "Gretar" would catch it.. how can I get around this?
An even bigger problem is that when I write something globally, on the server I play on you add an asterisk "*" in front of what you say.  When I do that I disconnect and get the following message

Internal exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

But again, thanks for an awesome plugin! Hope you, or somebody else, can help me Posted Image
Cheers.

OK, regarding the array index exception, can you give me a bit more of that excerpt the next time it happens?  Like, the 4 or 5 lines that follow that statement/  Also, if at all possible... a screenshot of some chat that causes the exception.  I can't really reproduce it on my end.

Catching a wide range of username spellings while omitting your own chat can be a giant pain in the butt.  I usually have to combine multiple filters to get what I want there.  I'd suggest a handful of filters setup with the following expressions:

The easy one:
has been received from|-> me|Greter

The last part of that will also catch "GreterJ"

The ugly one:
GretarJ(?!:)|Gretar(?!J)|Greta(?!r)|Gret(?!a)

I think that would do it.  Obviously, you could combine them if you really wanted.
Posted Image

#73

theritualsuffering
  • Location: Somewhere in this universe, lost in space...
  • Minecraft: tenebraemaximus

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

I keep crashing with a NullPointerException error. It only happens when I try type something in chat, so I assume it may be something to do with this mod. Its only started since I updated my .jar to contain the 1.4.2 version.
Here is a crash report:
Spoiler:

Posted Image
Click Here To Check Out The Server Forums

PVP Server at play.pokemonserver.net
Pixelmon Server at pixelmonserver.net


#74

GretarJ
    GretarJ

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

So, after some google'ing and trying new things for hours I finally found a solution to my first problem:
(?!.*GretarJ:)(has\sbeen\sreceived\sfrom|->\sme|Gret)([\S]*)
This will match anything that starts with "Gret" (and some other things) to the next whitespace except if the word is "GretarJ:".

BUT my second problem still remains. It has to do with this filter. When I type something starting with an asterisk (global chat on my server) I get a screen that says:

Quote

Connection lost: Internal exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
Nothing else. It's not a crash so I'm not getting any reports from this. When I remove the filter everything is normal.

Cheers!

#75

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostGretarJ, on 04 December 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

So, after some google'ing and trying new things for hours I finally found a solution to my first problem:
(?!.*GretarJ:)(has\sbeen\sreceived\sfrom|->\sme|Gret)([\S]*)
This will match anything that starts with "Gret" (and some other things) to the next whitespace except if the word is "GretarJ:".

BUT my second problem still remains. It has to do with this filter. When I type something starting with an asterisk (global chat on my server) I get a screen that says:

Nothing else. It's not a crash so I'm not getting any reports from this. When I remove the filter everything is normal.

Cheers!

Ok, I think I have an idea of what you're seeing, at least.  Can I assume you're on Windows?  I believe when I get a similar type of exception (one that just drops me to a blank screen with a single line), I usually get some more output on the command line (since I run Linux and launch my client from the command line).  You may be able to get some more output from the exception if you were to launch your client from the command line as well.

I know it's a lot to ask, and it's not an easy task, but if you could give the command line a shot and see if you get some additional output, that could be very helpful.

Here's an excellent post that covers running minecraft from the command-line in windows very well:
http://www.minecraft...ips-and-tricks/
Posted Image

#76

GretarJ
    GretarJ

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 04 December 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Ok, I think I have an idea of what you're seeing, at least.  Can I assume you're on Windows?  I believe when I get a similar type of exception (one that just drops me to a blank screen with a single line), I usually get some more output on the command line (since I run Linux and launch my client from the command line).  You may be able to get some more output from the exception if you were to launch your client from the command line as well.

I know it's a lot to ask, and it's not an easy task, but if you could give the command line a shot and see if you get some additional output, that could be very helpful.

Here's an excellent post that covers running minecraft from the command-line in windows very well:
http://www.minecraft...ips-and-tricks/

I'm on a mac. I've been trying to run Minecraft from the command line (Terminal) for an hour now but I can't seem to get it working. Tried using the linux command but I always end up with some Errors. One time I was able to run but it skipped the login process so I wasn't able to connect to the multiplayer server.

#77

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostGretarJ, on 04 December 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'm on a mac. I've been trying to run Minecraft from the command line (Terminal) for an hour now but I can't seem to get it working. Tried using the linux command but I always end up with some Errors. One time I was able to run but it skipped the login process so I wasn't able to connect to the multiplayer server.

Unfortunately, my experience with Macs is practically non-existent.  Using the command that skips the login proces, I have figured out a method to actually pass the username and password to that command such that you can still connect to multiplayer, but I'll have to wait until I'm home to find that info.
Posted Image

#78

GretarJ
    GretarJ

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ok. Found out that Magic Launcher offers command line debug on startup. So here's what happens:
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at acs.tabbychat.CustomChatFilter.applyFilterToDirtyChat(CustomChatFilter.java:118)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at acs.tabbychat.TabbyChat.processChat(TabbyChat.java:357)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at asu.a(GuiNewChat.java:148)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at asu.a(GuiNewChat.java:114)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at axz.a(NetClientHandler.java:688)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cv.a(SourceFile:44)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cg.i(TcpConnection.java:340)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cg.c(TcpConnection.java:537)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at ch.run(SourceFile:93)

Cheers!

#79

RocketMan10404
  • Location: Illinois
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostGretarJ, on 04 December 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Ok. Found out that Magic Launcher offers command line debug on startup. So here's what happens:
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at acs.tabbychat.CustomChatFilter.applyFilterToDirtyChat(CustomChatFilter.java:118)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at acs.tabbychat.TabbyChat.processChat(TabbyChat.java:357)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at asu.a(GuiNewChat.java:148)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at asu.a(GuiNewChat.java:114)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at axz.a(NetClientHandler.java:688)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cv.a(SourceFile:44)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cg.i(TcpConnection.java:340)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at cg.c(TcpConnection.java:537)
2012-12-04 17:01:09 [INFO] [STDERR]	 at ch.run(SourceFile:93)

Cheers!

Excellent, that's a big help.  I'll take a look tonight.  Just to confirm, this happens anytime you have your aforementioned "Mention" filter enabled and type chat that starts with an asterisk, correct?
Posted Image

#80

GretarJ
    GretarJ

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Excellent, that's a big help.  I'll take a look tonight.  Just to confirm, this happens anytime you have your aforementioned "Mention" filter enabled and type chat that starts with an asterisk, correct?
That's correct!
Thanks for an awesome support.

Cheers!