• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.6.4] TabbyChat v1.10.00 - SMP Chat Overhaul

chat multiplayer logging filters

• Please log in to reply
1416 replies to this topic

Poll: What feature do you want added next? (465 member(s) have cast votes)

What feature do you want added next?

1. Additional language support (e.g. German) (47 votes [10.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.11%

2. Movable chatbox (119 votes [25.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.59%

3. Optionally disable update notifications (29 votes [6.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.24%

4. Remove channel designation from chat within channel tab (25 votes [5.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

5. Optionally split log files by tab (49 votes [10.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.54%

6. In-line image support (see posted images in chat) (196 votes [42.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

RocketMan10404
  • Minecraft: RocketMan10404

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

POPULAR

TabbyChat (v1.10.00)Posted ImageContents:
Current Features/Functionality
TabbyChat is a client-side mod for Minecraft that aims to make the multiplayer chat interface more organized, managable, and user-friendly. It can be installed (or loaded) into the Minecraft client by patching minecraft.jar or loaded at runtime via several different supported APIs.

Primary Features
The primary feature of TabbyChat is to organize chat messages into different channels, and to represent those channels via tab-like buttons displayed above the chat interface. There are several different ways to configure TabbyChat to organize chat, including:
  • Auto-searching for new chat channels or PM messages
  • Selecting the appropriate Chat-Channel delimiters and manually creating the desired tabs
  • Using custom filters to direct messages matching the desired expression to a specific tab
Custom Filters
Custom filters allow the user to tell TabbyChat to perform various actions when a chat message matches the defined Regular Expression. These actions include the following:
  • Highlight the matching text (with color and/or formatting)
  • Play a notification sound
  • Send the message to a specific tab
  • Send the message to all tabs
  • Prevent the message from displaying
Additional Features
  • Unread Message Notifications
  • Timestamps prepended to chat messages
  • Suppress spammed chat messages
  • Log all chat to logfile with timestamps
  • Force Unicode font rendering
  • Interactive scroll bar
  • Dynamically movable/resizable chat box
  • Customize the number of messages retained (displayed) for each tab
  • Customize the length of time a message remains on-screen during normal gameplay
  • Each tab can have a 'command prefix' that can be applied to your messages
  • Multi-line chat with configurable transmission delay
  • New mouse controls and Key-binds added for interacting with TabbyChat
  • Spell-checking

Screenshots/Videos

Other videos:
Spoiler:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Documentation
Detailed documentation for the use and configuration of TabbyChat can be found at the TabbyChat Wiki on my github page.For a good regular expression reference when crafting custom chat filters, see http://www.regular-e.../reference.htmland here's an excellent reference for testing filter expressions: http://www.regexplan...java/index.html

*** ChangeLog:

New in 1.10.00
  • New Feature - Spellchecking: Implementation of Jazzy library (jazzy.sourceforge.net) for spellchecking contents of the chat-input box periodically while typing.  Misspelled words will have a dashed red line below them, and a simple english-language dictionary file is included in the mod distribution.  For more advanced or alternate-language dictionaries, download dictionary zip files from here, extract the ".dic" file, rename it to match the Minecraft locale (e.g. en_US.dic), and place it in "config/tabbychat" in your minecraft directory.  Additionally, you can create a file there called "user.dic" containing any other words (one per line) that you'd like to be ignored for spellchecking purposes.
  • New Feature - Chat Opacity: a new checkbox in the advanced settings tab will now allow the chatbox text to be rendered fully opaque regardless of the chat opacity setting, which would still apply to the background of the chatbox.
  • Bugfix: keybinds involving the Shift key will now work for the right-shift button.
  • Bugfix: fixed some issues with Emoticons compatibility
  • Bugfix: fixed issue causing double-spaces between /msg prefix and message when using tab command prefixes
  • Bugfix: fixed issue with "message too long" kicks from server when the player attempts to send a 99-character-long chat message.
  • Bugfix: minor improvements to chatbox/scrollbar fading
New in 1.9.02
  • Bugfix:  Corrected a few null-pointer exception issues with dynamic tab naming
New in 1.9.01
  • Bugfix: New tabs not created if Auto-channel searching is disabled (primarily affected dynamic tab names)
  • Bugfix: Tabs marked as unread even if the message was seen in the current active tab, when that tab is not the master tab.
  • Functionality change:  In prior releases, the "Auto-channel searching" setting only affected the creation of new tabs - TabbyChat would still scan each message for channels, even with this disabled, and send messages to currently-existing tabs.  Now, with this setting disabled, no channel searching will be performed whatsoever.  If this affects you, I suggest migrating to custom filters for this purpose.
  • Swedish translation added to mod directly
  • Estonian translation updated for new settings
New in 1.9.00
  • Bugfix: Split messages displaying in wrong order when chatbox is anchored to the top of the window (chat displayed top-to-bottom)
  • Functionality change: To facilitate the previous bugfix, timestamps are no longer concatenated with the chat message directly, and are now instead a separate property of the chat message.  The timestamp will now be set for every message according to the timestamp style setting, and will be either displayed or not according to the "Timestamp chat" setting.
  • New feature: Dynamic Tab Names for Custom Filters.  More details in this post.
Old Versions
Spoiler:

RoadmapTabbyChat is very young, and relatively light on features.  I certainly have more in mind and in planning right now, and am more than happy to hear additional feature ideas and requests.  Here's what is currently planned:
Spoiler:
Download

Posted Image

Live Download Graph:  Updates every half-hour, started 10/01/13

Latest version No-longer supported
  • TabbyChat for Minecraft 1.6.1 [Standalone/Forge/Modloader]
  • TabbyChat for Minecraft 1.5.1 [Standalone/Forge/Modloader] [LiteLoader]
Language Files*TabbyChat will read the language option set for the Minecraft client and attempt to load the appropriate language file.  TabbyChat will look for these files in ".minecraft/config/tabbychat/lang" All current and old versions, as well as language files, can be found here.Installation
Due to the new launcher, mod installation procedures have changed quite a bit.  If using ModLoader, Forge, or LiteLoader, follow the installation procedures for those APIs and add the appropriate version of TabbyChat as directed.  If installing TabbyChat standalone, here's my recommendation:
  • Create a copy of your ".minecraft/versions/1.6.1" folder inside the versions folder to represent your modded client if you have not already done so.  Make sure to rename both the jar and json file, as well as the "id" line WITHIN the json file, to the same name as your new folder.

• Inside your ".minecraft/libraries" folder, create the following directory structure:  "mods/TabbyChat/" and put the TabbyChat download inside that version folder - e.g. your TabbyChat download will now be in ".minecraft/libraries/mods/TabbyChat/1.8.07/TabbyChat-1.8.07.jar"

• Edit the json file from step 1 (in your new version folder) to contain the following line in the 'libraries' section:
{ "name": "mods:TabbyChat:1.8.07" },

4.  Setup a profile in your launcher to use your new version folder, and you're good to go.

(You may need to delete the META-INF folder from your new client jar if you receive errors regarding digital signatures of base class files.)

TabbyChat has been shown to be compatible with ModLoader and Forge (in general), Optifine, Rei's Minimap, Inventory Tweaks, Not Enough Items, Friends Overlay, and many more (pretty much anything not related to chat).
Donations
Spoiler:
Source/License
TabbyChat source code can be found on github.  Feel free to report issues there, as well.The mod itself as well as the source code are released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC-NC-SA) license, the contents of which are available at http://creativecommo...a/3.0/legalcode

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

RocketMan10404

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

Getting the most out of TabbyChat, and other FAQs

- Highlighting/Notification Sounds when your player name is mentioned

At it's most basic, catching mentions of your player name is pretty simple - simply define a custom filter with your player name as its expression, and enable whatever type of highlighting and notification sound you may prefer.

If you test this in practice, you may notice pretty quickly that it leaves a bit to be desired.  Most noticeable is that you'll likely see highlighted matches and hear notification sounds every time you send a chat message.  So, here I'll explain how to craft a better filter expression to avoid this.

For the sake of this example, let's assume your player name is "Onetwothree".  On top of that, we'll assume it's fairly common for your server friends to call you "one" or perhaps "onetwo".  Furthermore, we'll assume that, on your favorite server, your chat messages look like this:
[G] Onetwothree: Hello everybody
So, what we need is an expression that can match "one", "onetwo", or "onetwothree", but definitely not "onetwothree:".  What we need to employ here is a Regular Expression construct called a "Negative zero-width lookbehind", which means we want our expression to enforce that it is specifically NOT followed by a certain character (or sub-expression).  This construct takes the form
 (?!X) 
where X is the character or sub-expression that should NOT be present after prior expression.

So, in practice, here's what our example expression would look like:
one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?!:)
This is essentially three different expressions with logical OR statements between them - we're looking for "one" not followed by a t, or "onetwo" not followed by a t, or "onetwothree" not followed by a colon.  The last expression is the most intuitive - we've already established that we want to ignore mentions of our name followed by a colon.  The reason we need the first two is to cover other forms of our name, and the reason we need more look-behinds there is that, without them, the shorter mentions will still match "onetwothree:" whenever we chat.

Here is how we can adapt this example to several other situations:
You're only concerned about two forms of your name (e.g. "Onetwo")
Expression: one(?!t)|onetwo(?!:)

You want to match four forms of your name (e.g. "Onetwothreefour")
Expression: one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?!f)|onetwothreefour(?!:)

On your server, your chats end with ">"
Expression: one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?!>)

On your server, there is a space between your name and the colon (or other character)
Expression: one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?! :)

On your server, there may or may not be a space between your name and the colon:
Expression: one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?![ ]?:)
*Brackets not explicitly necessary, I prefer them around spaces for readability

The expression I use:
Expression: rocket(?!m)|rocketman(?!1)|rocketman10404(?!:)

You want the highlighting to apply to the entire line when your name is mentioned:
Expression: .*(one(?!t)|onetwo(?!t)|onetwothree(?!:)).*

So, there you have it.  If this doesn't cover you, and you're not sure how to adapt it to fit your needs, feel free to ask in this thread.

- I created a filter to hide chat messages, but it doesn't apply to the [*] tab

True, TabbyChat explicitly avoids many modifications to the chat in the [*] tab.  The purpose of this tab is to serve as an un-touched reference of chat should be concerned that somehow, something (like a filter) is hiding/moving messages you don't want it to, and you want to be absolutely sure you're not missing anything.

If you still want to see the 'raw' chat, but have filters that hide chat still apply, simply define a new filter to be a copy of the [*] tab using the following expression, and sending that chat to a new tab:
.*
This expression will always match everything, thus essentially copying the [*] tab.  However, filters that hide chat will still keep it hidden from this tab.
Posted Image

juanjose920_12
  • Minecraft: juanjose920

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Awesome! I love it!
My password:
Spoiler:

FrozenS2M
    FrozenS2M

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Minecraft: FrozenS2M

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have some ideas for your mod.
Able to set how many lines of chat you can see when you press "T" (You can still scroll to see more text)
Able to send color, bold, italics, and underlined text.
Also cool mod.

Dreamsof
  • Minecraft: First_Ace

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Would it be possible for this mod to add a scroll bar to the chat?
Want to share your mod here? Pm me :3<3

Ultrablobman

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Wow, this seems amazing. I can see it being really useful for servers with lots of chat channels. Downloaded.

RocketMan10404

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostFrozenS2M, on 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I have some ideas for your mod.
Able to set how many lines of chat you can see when you press "T" (You can still scroll to see more text)
Able to send color, bold, italics, and underlined text.
Also cool mod.

I had just thought about doing something kinda like that earlier today actually (the number of visible lines) - I should be able to pull that off, so I'll keep it in mind.  Along with that, I might look into setting how many lines of chat you can see and/or how long they stick around when you DON'T have the chat input active.  I'm not sure, I'm trying to limit myself to not editing any more base classes, but I should be able to pull off your suggestion within the classes I've currently modified.

I'll have to look into the chat colors a bit more - that's a great idea too, but I think vanilla servers might kick you if you try and send styled text.  Although really, TabbyChat isn't going to be nearly as useful to people on vanilla servers (except for maybe filtering and logging?)

View PostDreamsof, on 28 October 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

Would it be possible for this mod to add a scroll bar to the chat?

Another good idea - in fact, you're the second to suggest it, and I attempted to implement one after the first suggestion.  There should be a scroll bar in TabbyChat already - the white vertical line near the right-hand border of the chat window.  Take a look at the very first screenshot in the OP.  I suppose it's not the most visually obvious scrollbar, but you can drag the bar up and down, click anywhere on it, etc.
Posted Image

FrozenS2M
    FrozenS2M

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Minecraft: FrozenS2M

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

I got another idea.
How about adding in Mod Update Manager so it can automatically search for updates?

amoliski
    amoliski

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Minecraft: amoliski

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thank you so much for this mod, it's really useful when dealing with exceptionally large/a large number of servers (MineZ/Ghostcraft/HCFactions in my case)

I am trying to create a channel that shows everything EXCEPT things that start with "NCP:"
I have it as:
General
Inverse Match [On] Case-sensitive [On]
Filter to new tab[On] Highlight matching [Off]
Audio Notification [Off]
Filter expression: NCP:

I also tried using "NCP:", "^NCP", and "^NCP:"

With inverse turned off, it behaves as intended, with all text starting with NCP going to a new tab, however, with inverse turned on, it sends all chat, including 'NCP:' chat to my 'General' tab.

What am I doing wrong?

One more request- a lot of messages are colored (for example, death messages on MineZ start with the player's name in yellow), would it be possible to make a way to say 'Anything with a yellow first word goes to this tab'?

RocketMan10404

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

View Postamoliski, on 29 October 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Thank you so much for this mod, it's really useful when dealing with exceptionally large/a large number of servers (MineZ/Ghostcraft/HCFactions in my case)

I am trying to create a channel that shows everything EXCEPT things that start with "NCP:"
I have it as:
General
Audio Notification [Off]

With inverse turned off, it behaves as intended, with all text starting with NCP going to a new tab, however, with inverse turned on, it sends all chat, including 'NCP:' chat to my 'General' tab.

What am I doing wrong?

One more request- a lot of messages are colored (for example, death messages on MineZ start with the player's name in yellow), would it be possible to make a way to say 'Anything with a yellow first word goes to this tab'?

I apologize, there was in fact something wrong with inverse matching - blame my horrible testing procedures.  A new version has been added to the OP, it should work as intended now.  Thank  you for catching and reporting that.

As for the colored messages, it should be possible, but it'll take a bit of rework - currently, filters are applied on un-colored messages, as I didn't want people to have to account for color/format codes all over the place in their expressions.  I'll put it on the list though.
Posted Image

amoliski
    amoliski

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Minecraft: amoliski

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks!

RocketMan10404

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

View Postamoliski, on 29 October 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

I have it as:
General
Audio Notification [Off]

I just posted another update fixing a fairly major issue I found recently that may have been affecting you.  If you were able to get your filter-tab to work, but it didn't appear to be displaying new messages in real-time (only after switching tabs), try the new version for a fix.
Posted Image

BAI1
    BAI1

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Minecraft: BAI1

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have been searching for something similar to this for some time, maybe not with all the features you have included, I am surprised I found this mod and am surprised it hasn't gained popularity as fast as I would expect it, being rather unique in what it adds to the game.
I am installing this as I type and am going to have lots of fun using it.
BAI1
Posted Image

RocketMan10404

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostBAI1, on 31 October 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

I have been searching for something similar to this for some time, maybe not with all the features you have included, I am surprised I found this mod and am surprised it hasn't gained popularity as fast as I would expect it, being rather unique in what it adds to the game.
I am installing this as I type and am going to have lots of fun using it.
BAI1

Ha, I know, right?  I've been searching so hard for some sort of chat-tab mod ever since I started playing on servers - I was so excited when I found Improved Chat (but never could find an updated version or get it to work).

Honestly I don't find myself using a lot of TabbyChat's functionality, oddly enough, except for mostly chat highlighting and dings.  Personally I'm too concerned about what might be unread in other tabs.  The next feature I'm going to work on is checking for updates (which shouldn't be too hard), and then immediately after that, I need to find some way to get the client to indicate when there are non-visible chat messages received in other tabs when the chat window is not active.

It does this now when the chat window IS active, but obviously I do spend a fair amount of play time not chatting.  Hopefully I'll get something added soon.
Posted Image

kamihkamih

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

This mod is AWESOME!
Thank you so much!
I was about to write my own until I found this. This makes playing on busy servers MUCH more enjoyable!
If there's only one thing I would recommend, it's saving each tab in separate log files. This would make post game analysis much easier.
Great work!

RocketMan10404

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback!  Glad to hear it!

I'll add your suggestion to my list  (will update the roadmap soon).
Posted Image

BAI1
    BAI1

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Love the mod, and have enjoyed using it for the past day, however I am having issues with the RegEXP filtering. I have set 3 filters, one for normal player chat, one for anything a staff member says and one for any in-game automatic announcements. Code as follows, along with specifications:
Players

^\[|Plebien|Scout|Warrior|Mercernary|Raider|Elite|Noble|Immortal|Mythic|Legend|Demigod|Deity\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=Off
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Staff

^\[|Admin|Owner\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=On
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Announcements
^\[|MayhemServers\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=Off
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Issues I am having is that the [MayhemServers] announcements are showing in all chat channels, and it's showing when players go AFK in all channels, and I have set the filters to it shouldn't do either of those in the other channels. I have tried various filters, and I managed to get it working once but it would only work on one specific announcement. I have double checked spelling of everything and stuff, and it's all fine. I am thinking it is something in the RegEXP code I have put but I can't confirm it. Am I doing something wrong?
BAI1
Posted Image

RocketMan10404

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostBAI1, on 01 November 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Love the mod, and have enjoyed using it for the past day, however I am having issues with the RegEXP filtering. I have set 3 filters, one for normal player chat, one for anything a staff member says and one for any in-game automatic announcements. Code as follows, along with specifications:
Players

^\[|Plebien|Scout|Warrior|Mercernary|Raider|Elite|Noble|Immortal|Mythic|Legend|Demigod|Deity\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=Off
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Staff

^\[|Admin|Owner\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=On
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Announcements
^\[|MayhemServers\]
Inverse Match=Off
FilterToNewTab=On
AudioNotification=Off
CaseSensitive=Off
HighlightMatching=Off
Issues I am having is that the [MayhemServers] announcements are showing in all chat channels, and it's showing when players go AFK in all channels, and I have set the filters to it shouldn't do either of those in the other channels. I have tried various filters, and I managed to get it working once but it would only work on one specific announcement. I have double checked spelling of everything and stuff, and it's all fine. I am thinking it is something in the RegEXP code I have put but I can't confirm it. Am I doing something wrong?
BAI1

I have a few ideas that will hopefully work (let me know if they don't so I can look into it further).
Your expressions pretty much look correct, except you need parenthesis surrounding the OR'd words, and make sure there's no pipe at the beginning or end... it looks like there might be at the beginning.  So, for Players:

^\[(Plebien|Scout|Warrior|Mercernary|Raider|Elite|Noble|Immortal|Mythic|Legend|Demigod|Deity)\]

And for staff:
^\[(Admin|Owner)\]

Concerning your announcements, make sure there's no pipe-character before MayhemServers (I don't think there should be... correct me if you actually see those in-game).  It could probably match on its own without a filter if you increase the settings for "Max length of channel name search" in the global settings - the default is 10, I believe, and that's 12 characters.

Also, beware that filters operate on chat including color/formatting codes, so if the words you're trying to match with a filter are colored, you may need to adjust your expression to accommodate - I can help with that if this is the case.
Posted Image

BAI1
    BAI1

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostRocketMan10404, on 01 November 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I have a few ideas that will hopefully work (let me know if they don't so I can look into it further).
Your expressions pretty much look correct, except you need parenthesis surrounding the OR'd words, and make sure there's no pipe at the beginning or end... it looks like there might be at the beginning.  So, for Players:

^\[(Plebien|Scout|Warrior|Mercernary|Raider|Elite|Noble|Immortal|Mythic|Legend|Demigod|Deity)\]

And for staff:
^\[(Admin|Owner)\]

Concerning your announcements, make sure there's no pipe-character before MayhemServers (I don't think there should be... correct me if you actually see those in-game).  It could probably match on its own without a filter if you increase the settings for "Max length of channel name search" in the global settings - the default is 10, I believe, and that's 12 characters.

Also, beware that filters operate on chat including color/formatting codes, so if the words you're trying to match with a filter are colored, you may need to adjust your expression to accommodate - I can help with that if this is the case.
Didn't know it matched the colours, and I thought the Max Length of channel name search was the max size a channel name would be able to have. I will try changing the Max Length and see if it works.
BAI1
Posted Image

RocketMan10404

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

You know what, I was horribly mistaken - the custom filters deal with colored chat, but the mod actually pulls out all the color codes, stores their previous positions, and then attempts to match the regular expression.  Afterwards, it applies any highlighting as necessary and re-inserts the color codes.

So, the custom filters actually DO ignore the text color/formatting codes.  My brain got sidetracked by all the code dealing with the removal/re-insertion.  My apologies.

Also, for clarification of the max length setting - it's an upper limit on the expected channel names when auto-searching for channels.  So the channel search expression is built by the channel delimiters (looks like it's brackets in your case), and then some number of alphanumeric characters between 1 and this setting.

For example, on the server I play on, TabbyChat automatically catches, creates tabs for, and re-directs chat starting with [g], [TC], [MOD], etc. - but not [Announcement] since "Announcement" is more characters than my max length setting.  So these announcement messages will only show on the first tab (asterisk).
Posted Image