Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Need some help wiring an Iron Door

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Drytchnath

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hi guys,

As the thread topic states I'm in need of some help since I get hopelessly lost with redstone wiring. I've looked at some tutorials yet I can't seem to think of a way to make a hidden lever-activated circuit that will allow me to open a iron door (using levers) from both inside and outside of my mountain base.

I was using stone buttons before but quickly found them annoying since it sometimes took 2 or even 3 attempts to get through the door before it slammed shut- frustrating.

My 1st crude attempts at a redstone activated door kind of worked. I had a lever on the outside and inside, both with wiring leading to the block by the iron door. i could open it from outside but to close it from inside I'd have to flip the lever inside (turning it ON), then walk out and turn off the outside lever, walk back in and switch the inside one off to close the door.

Tedious and not good if I had a creeper or spider jockey on my tail.

Space is a little limited, but I can easily expand the entrance outward without too much trouble to accommodate extra wiring if needed.

Now, can anyone explain or show a good setup for this?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

Drytchnath said:

Hi guys,

As the thread topic states I'm in need of some help since I get hopelessly lost with redstone wiring. I've looked at some tutorials yet I can't seem to think of a way to make a hidden lever-activated circuit that will allow me to open a iron door (using levers) from both inside and outside of my mountain base.

I was using stone buttons before but quickly found them annoying since it sometimes took 2 or even 3 attempts to get through the door before it slammed shut- frustrating.

My 1st crude attempts at a redstone activated door kind of worked. I had a lever on the outside and inside, both with wiring leading to the block by the iron door. i could open it from outside but to close it from inside I'd have to flip the lever inside (turning it ON), then walk out and turn off the outside lever, walk back in and switch the inside one off to close the door.

Tedious and not good if I had a creeper or spider jockey on my tail.

Space is a little limited, but I can easily expand the entrance outward without too much trouble to accommodate extra wiring if needed.

Now, can anyone explain or show a good setup for this?

Levers won't work basically because wires are either in an 'on' or 'off' state, assume when you flip a lever down, it stays on. Obviously the door won't shut if it stays on, even if you toggle the one on the inside, because the wire is already lit up.

I'm curious what it is you want to happen though, do you want a button to hit that just keeps the door open for a bit longer then the delay of a button? Or do you want to be able to flip a lever from either side and it opens the door? Unfortunately there isn't a very 'simple' way to do either, it'l take some redstone circuitry.
That one dragon coding thingy.

Drytchnath

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

I was originally hoping to be able to simply hit the lever to open the door, walk in and hit a lever inside to close it.

Although I can settle for something like a door that maybe stays open for 2-3 seconds. 1 second is just way too fast.
Posted Image

AwkwardWhale

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hmm i'm no expert on redstone but how I would handle this problem is using a Delay circuit with a stone button, I would find it simpler than trying to get levers to work from both sides

ConMan8
    ConMan8

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

What you should do is use two buttons with a T Flip-Flop so that the output will toggle when the input is powered- thus making the buttons act as a press-switch..
You can also add a lever to power a part of the circuit to lock the door.
http://www.minecraft...dstone_circuits

Yumi173
    Yumi173

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Minecraft: Yumi173

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

To be able to use the levers you need to connect the output from both to a XNOR logic gate. What that does is make it so that when either lever is flicked the door will either open if it's closed or close if it's open.

Posted Image

You build the gate as shown and then wire the output from both your levers where it shows the levers in the diagram. You then wire the output of the gate to a torch beneath your door and you'll have the effect you're after.

You could use a T Flip-Flop with buttons as the person above me says, but that's a much more difficult circuit especially if you aren't the best with redstone.

Hope this helps.
(=

[edited a bajillion times 'cause my fingers are too slow for my brain]

Drytchnath

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Yumi173 said:

To be able to use the levers you need to connect the output from both to a XNOR logic gate. What that does is make it so that when either lever is flicked the door will either open if it's closed or close if it's open.

Posted Image

You build the gate as shown and then wire the output from both your levers where it shows the levers in the diagram. You then wire the output of the gate to a torch beneath your door and you'll have the effect you're after.

You could use a T Flip-Flop with buttons as the person above me says, but that's a much more difficult circuit especially if you aren't the best with redstone.

Hope this helps.
(=

Ok...so an XNOR switch requires a 3x8 space, I'm assuming at least 2 blocks in height, 3 for ease of construction.

I might be able to do that, got plenty of space directly below and to the right of the door for it. Would the torch be directly below the door itself or below the levers that would open it?
Posted Image

Armitige
    Armitige

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

Drytchnath said:

I was originally hoping to be able to simply hit the lever to open the door, walk in and hit a lever inside to close it.

Although I can settle for something like a door that maybe stays open for 2-3 seconds. 1 second is just way too fast.
Check out this video tutorial I made for MinecraftMartin for a T flip-flop XOR gate double door setup.
V1:
XnC4-Xiy-xg

V2:
6Xii9CR_cLg
Posted Image

jcj64200031

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

Going solely by what the OP asked. 2 levers, 1 on each side of the door, that when used will open/close the door on use no matter the input of the other lever.

what you're looking for is something called a XOR Gate (or XNOR Gate if you want to use that, but an XNOR is simply an inverted XOR). basically when the levers are in the same position, the door will close. you can avoid having to invert a XOR Gate simply by inverting the door itself. so that when it's powered off, it's open, and when powered on, it's closed.

Posted Image
it doesn't have to be built like this, but all the wires have to torch the same torches. that torch at the end on the right was just my way of checking if the circuit was working. if you want the ciruitry completely hiden, place this 1-2 blocks below your door, and then directly below the block the door is on, place a torch on the ground and have the last wire lead to the bottom of the block the torch is on. when that wire is lit, the torch will be off, when it's not, the torch will be on.

The door placement can be a little finisky, but if you mess with the circuits a bit, you can easily do it.

Yumi173
    Yumi173

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Minecraft: Yumi173

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

Drytchnath said:

Yumi173 said:

http://dl.dropbox.co...dLogicGates.png

Hope this helps.
(=

Ok...so an XNOR switch requires a 3x8 space, I'm assuming at least 2 blocks in height, 3 for ease of construction.

I might be able to do that, got plenty of space directly below and to the right of the door for it. Would the torch be directly below the door itself or below the levers that would open it?
The torch goes below the block your door is sitting on. Torches below levers doesn't work. I can build a working example and screenshot it if you like?

Drytchnath

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

Gah, so much stuff at once...awesome!

I'm going to use Armitige's V2 video to attempt a iron double door. I don't know if I'll complete it or not tonight since I'm taking baby-steps with this. Had the game for nearly a year and just now getting into redstone wires, it's a little intimidating.
Posted Image

McEscher
    McEscher

404: Member Not Found

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Minecraft: McEscher

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

Another option is to place a fence (or whatever) block so it lines you up with the door.
Top View:
:Green:  :Green:  :Green:  :Green:  :Green:
[]  :Green:  []  :Green:
Where  :Green: is the steel door,  :Green: is the button on the wall,  :Green: is the block that lines you up with the entrance.  Press the button, walk right in - no bumping on the sides while the door closes.   Not as elegant as a fancy redstone circuit but very simple and works well.

I've used the T flip flop circuitry too.  It is fun to do.

TheBix
    TheBix

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Drytchnath said:

Replace levers with buttons and add a latch and you got it. Easy shit.
This forum is full of script kiddies.

Drytchnath

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Well I give up for tonight. I almost got Armitige's double door circuit to work...it only opens the left door. I copied the setup exactly as I saw it. Problem is I can't really tell whats going on below the door due to the speed in which it's set up in the tutorial video.

The fact that I got one door to open is a start, just need to figure out what the hell I did wrong. Gonna go sleep on it before I get overly mad at this.
Posted Image

Taldeer12

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

There is a glitch where doors on the right respond in the opposite way they should to a redstone current. Simply put an inverter between the output of the (XNOR?) gate and the right door. The left door should be fine regardless.

rolfdavid
    rolfdavid

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

If I have understood you correctly you will need one of theese gates to make it work.

XOR
elMna_6gBr4

XNOR
u9KeOIMLr18

It doesn't really matter which one of them you choose to use.

Drytchnath

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

rolfdavid said:

If I have understood you correctly you will need one of theese gates to make it work.

XOR
elMna_6gBr4

XNOR
u9KeOIMLr18

It doesn't really matter which one of them you choose to use.

You understood correctly, but I've now come to want a working double door, but unfortunately can only get one door to open at a time, not both. Its starting to piss me off a bit and it is now my personal mission to make this damn thing work.
Posted Image

TheBix
    TheBix

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

wire the input from the xor to some simple system that opens both. theres a youtube vid someone made on how to do it, it basically involves inverting the input to one door.
This forum is full of script kiddies.

Armitige
    Armitige

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Posted Image

Redstone Simulator Schematic
Posted Image

wrenstein
  • Minecraft: wrenstein

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

I'm assuming you don't want to use 2 pressure plates for some reason (such as keeping mobs out).  A really lazy solution is just putting the lever level with top half of the door, and right next to it on the outside of the door.  You will be able to hit the lever from the far side of the door (through the little window).  Not very elegant, but requires no wiring.