Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Witch spawning behaviour?

witch spawning swamp hut huts

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

Some_dood
  • Location: some_where

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Ok. So I recently found a witch hut on the new hardcore save file I made. I have encountered one witch spawning from this location so far. I am currently terrified and am now paused within the witches hut, as I know NOTHING about the witches spawning behaviour. Do any of you know if she spawns in any light level? Or if she spawns within the hut only? If anyone knows about this they could do me (and everyone on the mincraft wiki page) a huge favor by explaining further in detail than 'she spawns in witch huts in swamp biomes' ..seeing as thats as far as it goes into detail over at the wiki page. If noone knows about the spawning behaviour of witches at this point, I would like to help out by adding that in this case (my hardcore save file) I had found that witch hut, approached it caustiously (because this update is really scary, along with minecraft in general to me lol) and at first found no witch there. after leaving the area (about 20 or so blocks away) and encountering a spider and a creeper, i came back towards the witch hut (this was at night) and there was one witch there. i havent played too much more from that point, but its currently daytime out and no other witch has spawned. I think it could be due to the fact that the spider i killed dropped a spider eye outside and i didnt pick it up possibly...seing as how spider eyes are almost a necessity in brewing (im really stretching for answers here, arent i?)? Sorry if theres already something that explains the spawning behaviour of witches in this forum.. but I havent been able to find it. And if any of you do know something about spawning behaviour of witches, could you kindly add it to the wiki page, as it currently has ABSOLUTLEY no information on this? thanks.



   ~Sincerely yours,
  An extremely terrified and confused minecrafter
some_signature

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Vagrant0
    Vagrant0

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostSome_dood, on 26 October 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Ok. So I recently found a witch hut on the new hardcore save file I made.
Erm... You decided to start a hardcore game in a new world, knowing nothing about how the game changed... Your own problem. Either run away till you grow a pair and get reasonably prepared, or just start a new world. Leeroy Jenkins style with stone sword and some blocks/terrain for hiding behind also works.

#3

Some_dood
  • Location: some_where

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostVagrant0, on 26 October 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Erm... You decided to start a hardcore game in a new world, knowing nothing about how the game changed... Your own problem. Either run away till you grow a pair and get reasonably prepared, or just start a new world. Leeroy Jenkins style with stone sword and some blocks/terrain for hiding behind also works.

I was not complaining about being scared, simply stating it lol. Granted my queston was a bit on the 'rambling on' side, but you still should have been able to gather that all im asking for here is a little info on the witch spawning behaviour. i know i can just wander away from the witch hut and barricade myself somewhere, but thats not the point of the question im posing, its a completely unrelated thing from me being scared lol.. which to me, seems to be needing clarification to inform me, and others who wish to know of this unique mobs spawning behaviour, which to me seems like a perfectly legitimate thing to want to know, seeing as how theres pages upon pages of other mobs spawning behaviour. so im sorry if my question was too ramble-y/confusing for you to be able to decipher that, but please either provide that, or provide a link of that. uknow? just try to be helpful here. or if you dont know about the subject of the question, dont respond maybe?
some_signature

#4

Vagrant0
    Vagrant0

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostSome_dood, on 26 October 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

My point is that it doesn't matter what the spawning behavior is. Either you can kill it and subsequently just destroy the hut, or you can't, die, and have to start a new map.

http://www.minecraft....net/wiki/Witch

The wiki suggests that it spawns with the hut on world gen. It is unlikely that the witch would respawn if the hut is destroyed, if at all. It is also unlikely that they would code the game to spawn a new hut given the difficulty of the mob. Regardless, you'd have to be able to survive and kill one before you should even start to be concerned about what happens with respawning. If a witch is spawned by the hut, they will likely go back there at night as part of normal villager AI.

Half the point of playing hard-core is so that you have that rush of excitement and fear when facing a new challenge, or coming up with a creative solution to a threat. Much of that goes away when you start getting advance knowledge of how game mechanics work, how to kill things easily, or go doing heavy research. A week from now you'll probably be complaining that the game is too easy again, or that there isn't anything fun left in it.

#5

GerbilCrab475
  • Location: The SOL

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostVagrant0, on 26 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

My point is that it doesn't matter what the spawning behavior is. Either you can kill it and subsequently just destroy the hut, or you can't, die, and have to start a new map.

http://www.minecraft....net/wiki/Witch

The wiki suggests that it spawns with the hut on world gen. It is unlikely that the witch would respawn if the hut is destroyed, if at all. It is also unlikely that they would code the game to spawn a new hut given the difficulty of the mob. Regardless, you'd have to be able to survive and kill one before you should even start to be concerned about what happens with respawning. If a witch is spawned by the hut, they will likely go back there at night as part of normal villager AI.

Half the point of playing hard-core is so that you have that rush of excitement and fear when facing a new challenge, or coming up with a creative solution to a threat. Much of that goes away when you start getting advance knowledge of how game mechanics work, how to kill things easily, or go doing heavy research. A week from now you'll probably be complaining that the game is too easy again, or that there isn't anything fun left in it.
Um, the witch is very easy. I beat one to death with a wooden sword and no armor on hard mode.

Posted Image
^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^


#6

Vagrant0
    Vagrant0

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostGerbilCrab475, on 26 October 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Um, the witch is very easy. I beat one to death with a wooden sword and no armor on hard mode.
Sure, provided you don't get hit with any particularly bad potions. Once you're hit with slowness though it becomes a different story.

#7

InfiniteTurbine
  • Location: A place with things.
  • Minecraft: InfiniteTurbine

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostVagrant0, on 26 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

My point is that it doesn't matter what the spawning behavior is. Either you can kill it and subsequently just destroy the hut, or you can't, die, and have to start a new map.

http://www.minecraft....net/wiki/Witch

The wiki suggests that it spawns with the hut on world gen. It is unlikely that the witch would respawn if the hut is destroyed, if at all. It is also unlikely that they would code the game to spawn a new hut given the difficulty of the mob. Regardless, you'd have to be able to survive and kill one before you should even start to be concerned about what happens with respawning. If a witch is spawned by the hut, they will likely go back there at night as part of normal villager AI.
Wrongo. One or two DOES spawn at World Gen. I believe, but they usually quickly despawn if the hut is far from you If you tear down the hut's walls, it LEAVES you more room for Witch spawning. .

#8

Some_dood
  • Location: some_where

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

o my god >.< i had alredy submitted a post in response to this.. it was long and well thought out too... dam you dial-up!!!




View PostVagrant0, on 26 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

My point is that it doesn't matter what the spawning behavior is. Either you can kill it and subsequently just destroy the hut, or you can't, die, and have to start a new map.

http://www.minecraft....net/wiki/Witch

The wiki suggests that it spawns with the hut on world gen. It is unlikely that the witch would respawn if the hut is destroyed, if at all. It is also unlikely that they would code the game to spawn a new hut given the difficulty of the mob. Regardless, you'd have to be able to survive and kill one before you should even start to be concerned about what happens with respawning. If a witch is spawned by the hut, they will likely go back there at night as part of normal villager AI.

Half the point of playing hard-core is so that you have that rush of excitement and fear when facing a new challenge, or coming up with a creative solution to a threat. Much of that goes away when you start getting advance knowledge of how game mechanics work, how to kill things easily, or go doing heavy research. A week from now you'll probably be complaining that the game is too easy again, or that there isn't anything fun left in it.



so bassically what i said (lol, paraphrasing myself) was that im sorry for any miscommunication, i was simply asking what the specific spawning behavior was ont the withc, i have nothing against hardcore mode and encourage ppl to try it atleast once. i was rambling with my first post about irrelevant stuff, but my main point was to get the specific spawning behavior of the witch, which seems like its been present before EVERY mob even came out and one could access it using the wiki.. also apologized for teh miscommunication on my part, and hope that this wont set us off on the wrong foot. people can get so rude to eachother over a forum (a freakin forum for godsakes) and i dont want to be one of those people, im sorry for any rudeness/ hostility that ive shown to you over a simple miscommunication, and i hope you feel the same too. ... dam dial-up, my original response was heartfelt nd ORIGINAL... not just a paraphrasing of it... dial-ups main purpose is to kill me from the inside i believe lol.

View PostInfiniteTurbine, on 26 October 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Wrongo. One or two DOES spawn at World Gen. I believe, but they usually quickly despawn if the hut is far from you If you tear down the hut's walls, it LEAVES you more room for Witch spawning. .

do you by any chance have any more info on the spawning behavior? if so it would be greatly appreciated if you could add it to the wiki page as it seems to be lacking that at the moment. or at the very least if you could post it here, i could figure out how to add it to the wiki. thanks
some_signature

#9

efflandt
    efflandt

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Location: Elgin, IL USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

We are probably all curious about witch spawning behaviour, since the wiki does not give details.  It just says that if the witch falls out of the hut it will not be able to get back in (probably because it is usually at least a couple of blocks above surrounding ground).

I found a swamp hut in vanilla SMP, and have been back there several times, but have never seen a witch.  I slapped a ladder on one of the front porch planks where I can jump to it from nearby ground to get into it.

I do not know if a witch has spawned there, despawned never to be seen, or will respawn.  It would be a shame a witch never respawns in multiplayer.

Or maybe the proliferation of giant swamp slimes getting stuck in shallow water (making splotching sounds, but rarely moving) reduces the chance of witch spawning

#10

Pokenate1096
  • Location: United states
  • Minecraft: Pokenate1096

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostSome_dood, on 26 October 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Ok. So I recently found a witch hut on the new hardcore save file I made. I have encountered one witch spawning from this location so far. I am currently terrified and am now paused within the witches hut, as I know NOTHING about the witches spawning behaviour. Do any of you know if she spawns in any light level? Or if she spawns within the hut only? If anyone knows about this they could do me (and everyone on the mincraft wiki page) a huge favor by explaining further in detail than 'she spawns in witch huts in swamp biomes' ..seeing as thats as far as it goes into detail over at the wiki page. If noone knows about the spawning behaviour of witches at this point, I would like to help out by adding that in this case (my hardcore save file) I had found that witch hut, approached it caustiously (because this update is really scary, along with minecraft in general to me lol) and at first found no witch there. after leaving the area (about 20 or so blocks away) and encountering a spider and a creeper, i came back towards the witch hut (this was at night) and there was one witch there. i havent played too much more from that point, but its currently daytime out and no other witch has spawned. I think it could be due to the fact that the spider i killed dropped a spider eye outside and i didnt pick it up possibly...seing as how spider eyes are almost a necessity in brewing (im really stretching for answers here, arent i?)? Sorry if theres already something that explains the spawning behaviour of witches in this forum.. but I havent been able to find it. And if any of you do know something about spawning behaviour of witches, could you kindly add it to the wiki page, as it currently has ABSOLUTLEY no information on this? thanks.



   ~Sincerely yours,
  An extremely terrified and confused minecrafter

Witches spawn in the area of a witch hut. More than one witch will spawn over time. In the area of the witch hut occupies, no other mobs can spawn. As for light level, I don't know the specifics, but I filled the witch hut area with light, and the witch's stopped spawning, so I'm guessing they use the same light mechanics of the other mobs.

A video to help you out:


A video by the same guy who made a farm:


When fighting them, I would use a bow. Its most likely the best attack.
Also remember, no hostile mobs will naturally spawn within a limited range of you, So in terms of your paused game, I think your fine.

The wiki page is quite uninformative, kinda stinks.
I hope this helped. Have fun playing minecraft 1.4 :)
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.

#11

Crunkatog

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostPokenate1096, on 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Witches spawn in the area of a witch hut. More than one witch will spawn over time. In the area of the witch hut occupies, no other mobs can spawn. As for light level, I don't know the specifics, but I filled the witch hut area with light, and the witch's stopped spawning, so I'm guessing they use the same light mechanics of the other mobs.

A video to help you out:


A video by the same guy who made a farm:


When fighting them, I would use a bow. Its most likely the best attack.
Also remember, no hostile mobs will naturally spawn within a limited range of you, So in terms of your paused game, I think your fine.

The wiki page is quite uninformative, kinda stinks.
I hope this helped. Have fun playing minecraft 1.4 :)
Thanks for being the first person ITT to contribute to the thread.

Posted Image


#12

Some_dood
  • Location: some_where

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostPokenate1096, on 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

Witches spawn in the area of a witch hut. More than one witch will spawn over time. In the area of the witch hut occupies, no other mobs can spawn. As for light level, I don't know the specifics, but I filled the witch hut area with light, and the witch's stopped spawning, so I'm guessing they use the same light mechanics of the other mobs.

A video to help you out:


A video by the same guy who made a farm:


When fighting them, I would use a bow. Its most likely the best attack.
Also remember, no hostile mobs will naturally spawn within a limited range of you, So in terms of your paused game, I think your fine.

The wiki page is quite uninformative, kinda stinks.
I hope this helped. Have fun playing minecraft 1.4 Posted Image

why, thank you helpful person. unfortunately i cant veiw the videos... dial-up strikes again lol. i did a bit more 'research' about the witch on that save file (until a dam slime got me lol) but it would seem that other mobs can infact spawn ontop of the witch hut.. unless this was a glitch. but i had viewed about 3 skeletons and one creeper spawn there. didnt get the chance to see if putting up torches in the hut would prevent her from spawning before i got taken out by that slime =/ i tried killing it without using my sword... stupid move on my part...laggy hitbox and the little damage i did to it, combined with me not even paying attention to my healthbar because i dont take slimes as seriously as i should led to the death of that world lol. anyways, thanks again for being helpful c=
some_signature

#13

Luis
    Luis

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostSome_dood, on 29 October 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

why, thank you helpful person. unfortunately i cant veiw the videos... dial-up strikes again lol. i did a bit more 'research' about the witch on that save file (until a dam slime got me lol) but it would seem that other mobs can infact spawn ontop of the witch hut.. unless this was a glitch. but i had viewed about 3 skeletons and one creeper spawn there. didnt get the chance to see if putting up torches in the hut would prevent her from spawning before i got taken out by that slime =/ i tried killing it without using my sword... stupid move on my part...laggy hitbox and the little damage i did to it, combined with me not even paying attention to my healthbar because i dont take slimes as seriously as i should led to the death of that world lol. anyways, thanks again for being helpful c=

Pretty sure mobs can spawn anywhere regardless, as long as the spawning conditions are correct.

#14

Pokenate1096
  • Location: United states
  • Minecraft: Pokenate1096

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostSome_dood, on 29 October 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:


why, thank you helpful person. unfortunately i cant veiw the videos... dial-up strikes again lol. i did a bit more 'research' about the witch on that save file (until a dam slime got me lol) but it would seem that other mobs can infact spawn ontop of the witch hut.. unless this was a glitch. but i had viewed about 3 skeletons and one creeper spawn there. didnt get the chance to see if putting up torches in the hut would prevent her from spawning before i got taken out by that slime =/ i tried killing it without using my sword... stupid move on my part...laggy hitbox and the little damage i did to it, combined with me not even paying attention to my healthbar because i dont take slimes as seriously as i should led to the death of that world lol. anyways, thanks again for being helpful c=

Hostile mobs can spawn on top of the witch hut, becuase that is not in the defined area. One block below however, they cannot. So removing the ceiling can fix this problem

A good way to stop slimes is making a trench. They can't swim.
The big ones need 3-4 blocks deep of water to drown
Medium needs 2 blocks deep
Tiny needs 1
I would just make a 4x4 trench  around your base or witch hut.

View PostLuis, on 29 October 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Pretty sure mobs can spawn anywhere regardless, as long as the spawning conditions are correct.

By this I assume you meant hostiles, in which case your wrong.

No Mobs other than the witch can spawn in witch huts, and witch can only spawn in the witch hut,
No hostile mobs can spawn in a mushroom biome,
No overworld mobs can spawn in the nether other then skeletons and vice versa,
No overworld mobs can spawn in the end except enderman,
No nether mobs can spawn in the end,
The ender dragon can only spawn in the end.
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.

#15

Xinkc
    Xinkc

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 970 posts
  • Minecraft: Xinkcet

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostPokenate1096, on 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

When fighting them, I would use a bow. Its most likely the best attack.

Nice information but I've found that sprinting at the witch and hitting it with any sword continuously works just as well.
Dragon Cave free since the summer of 2011.

#16

efflandt
    efflandt

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 617 posts
  • Location: Elgin, IL USA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

One other question is, what is the witch spawning rate based on server difficulty?  I found a swamp shack on a vanilla test server, but in repeated visits never saw a witch.  And also found a hut on our regular bukkit server in a 1.3 world that just switched to 1.4.2 last night, but no witch. Those worlds may be the default easy mode for servers. I don't know if witches do not spawn in easy, or if I just need to light up the surrounding area and caves to minimize other hostile mob spawning in the area (creepers still sometimes gang up on me on those servers)

I forget which of our worlds is hard survival only, maybe our 1.2 world, so I need to see it I can find a witch exploring new territory on that world (multiverse).

PS: I have confirmed that witches can spawn on a server running default easy mode.  Although, I have yet to see one in a native swamp shack.

I built a setup like in 1st video Pokenate1096 linked to, first on vanilla SMP on my PC, and then on a bukkit internet server (which took awhile in survival).  Although the edge of the shack was in a river biome, so I used glass floor blocks for those blocks, and I could not get anything other than other mobs to spawn under main floor, so I glass blocked that off.  They may spawn more or more frequently in "normal" mode.  In easy mode 1 to 3 would spawn at a time, but very infrequently, mostly during daylight (dark due to large roof built over it) when there were less other hostile mobs around (and after lighting up caves I could find near it).

In some cases I cannot seem to pick up the drops from the 30 block drop unless I am there close to it when they drop.  That may be the reason for the setup in 2nd video, but maybe I just need to rig up a piston part way down the drop to gather them and then drop them when I am at the bottom.  But in the end, on an "easy" mode survival server it is a lot of effort for not much gain, unless just looking for something different to do.

#17

Luis
    Luis

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostPokenate1096, on 29 October 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Hostile mobs can spawn on top of the witch hut, becuase that is not in the defined area. One block below however, they cannot. So removing the ceiling can fix this problem

A good way to stop slimes is making a trench. They can't swim.
The big ones need 3-4 blocks deep of water to drown
Medium needs 2 blocks deep
Tiny needs 1
I would just make a 4x4 trench  around your base or witch hut.



By this I assume you meant hostiles, in which case your wrong.

No Mobs other than the witch can spawn in witch huts, and witch can only spawn in the witch hut,
No hostile mobs can spawn in a mushroom biome,
No overworld mobs can spawn in the nether other then skeletons and vice versa,
No overworld mobs can spawn in the end except enderman,
No nether mobs can spawn in the end,
The ender dragon can only spawn in the end.

If you care to understand my English, you'd realise your reply is irrelevent, due to me saying 'as long as the spawning conditions are met.'

#18

smokeluvr1971

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

OP,

I too was looking for witch spawning behaviour and stumbled across your post.  The Witch Hut defined an area in which only witches can spawn.  No other mobs will spawn inside the hut, whatever the light conditions are.  If you remove the hut, the witch spawning area still exists and allows you to build a witch farm.  I am still unsure of the exact light conditions tho...for sure darkness increases spawn rate but what light level prevents spawning seems to be unclear.

#19

hardcorerobot

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

Dumpster dive much?

Interesting enough I had never seen a witch until they were allowed to spawn anywhere.

I find it particularly annoying that they are found in caves underground now.

#20

Mobax
    Mobax

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • Location: BC, Canada
  • Minecraft: Mobax13
  • Xbox:Mobax

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

View Posthardcorerobot, on 05 March 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Dumpster dive much?

Interesting enough I had never seen a witch until they were allowed to spawn anywhere.

I find it particularly annoying that they are found in caves underground now.

Dumpster diving is right.

That said, I like that witches can spawn anywhere now, otherwise they were way to rare to encounter. Even if you hung out at a witch hut at night, there was still no chance a witch would spawn. I like encountering witches, as they are an enemy that requires caution. Their potions can really leave you vulnerable for other mobs, especially the poison potions. I am in favor of anything that makes the game a bit more challenging. Plus witches have great drops, so more opportunities to find, kill, and collect those drops are another good thing in my opinion.
Please check out Podzol Spread Poll Thanks =)