forge smp lanterns lighting 1.5.1 1.5.2

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

HyperNerd
  • Minecraft: HyperNerd

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

The Lanterns Mod

Info

Ever wanted a form of lighting which you could hold (or wear)?

This mod adds lanterns which can be carried and will emit light around the player when switched on. The light will be seen by other players on SMP.

The lantern require fuel to run, which can be made from animal fat or fermented sugar.

If carrying the lantern around becomes tiresome, why not craft it into a head-torch, which will emit light around the player when worn on the head and switched on (default key is F). The head-torch will change its texture to indicate to other players whether it is on or off.

Also included is a handy way of storing your lanterns - the lantern hook.

The lanterns mod is heavily inspired by VIII's Lanterns mod, but rewritten for Forge and SMP.

Videos
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Lanterns and Head-torches

Once crafted, a lantern can be switched on or off when it is right-clicked. Holding shift will prevent this from happening. A lantern will automatically extinguish itself if removed from the player's hotbar. The lantern can be placed anywhere on the hotbar to emit light.

A head-torch is a wearable form of lantern which can be worn on the head. It is crafted from a leather helmet and a lantern, but will not provide any protection from damage. To light and extinguish head-torches, a key is pressed on the keyboard (default: F, configurable from the controls menu)

A flint and steel is required to be anywhere in the player's inventory to light a lantern or head-torch (but not to extinguish it).

Both lanterns and head-torches will consume fuel when lit, but lanterns will not use any fuel when lit on a lantern hook. Lanterns and head-torches have tooltips which show how much fuel is left in them, and their damage bars will reflect this also.

Fuel

Lanterns and head-torches will require fuel to run. There are 2 kinds of fuel available - lantern oil made from animal fat, and bio oil made from fermented sugar water.

Lantern oil is the easiest to make: Smelting cooked pork or beef in a furnace will yield a piece of animal fat. Combining this with an empty bottle will give bottled fat, which can then be smelted in a furnace to give lantern oil.

Animal fat can also be made by rendering down large slabs of zombie flesh, called Slabs of Meat. These are crafted from 9 rotten flesh, and will yield the same amount of fuel as a piece of pork or beef.

Bio oil is more renewable than lantern oil, but takes longer to produce. 8 Sugar and a water bottle can be combined to give a bottle of sugar water. This must be held in a player's inventory for a total of 15 minutes to ferment into bio oil. A tooltip on the sugar water gives a percentage of how fermented it is, and the damage bar will reflect this too.
Note that whilst fermenting, sugar water does not stack, but once it has become bio oil, it will stack up to 64.

Each bottle of fuel will give 5 minutes of light in either a lantern or head-torch.

To refuel a lantern or head-torch, combine it in a crafting table with bottles of fuel (either kind of fuel will work and can be combined). Each bottle added will add 5 minutes of fuel to the lantern or head-torch. The recipe will not allow you to overfill the lantern or head-torch.

Lamplighter Villagers

Lantern Hooks will now generate in NPC villages, along with special lamplighter villagers with lantern-related trades. The new villagers have custom AI (probably very buggy) which makes them light the lanterns at dusk and extinguish them in the morning. If you can lead them away from the village they spawned at, they will happily continue lighting and extinguishing lantern hooks at your base. They can see lantern hooks up to about 16 blocks away.

Lantern Hooks

The lantern hook can be placed on the side of any solid block.

Right-clicking on the hook whilst holding a lantern will hang it on the hook for storage. Right-clicking on a stored lantern with an empty hand will retreive it.

When a lantern is hung on a hook, shift+right-clicking on it will toggle it on or off.

A flint and steel is still required to light lanterns if they are on hooks, but the lanterns will not use any fuel whilst hung up (allowing for infinite decorative lighting with lanterns)

Lantern Minecarts
Spoiler:

Config Options

Server admins can configure the way Lanterns works on their server via the config file. The following options are available:

FuelMinutesPerBottle: The number of minutes of fuel each bottle provides. Default is 5.
FermentationTime: The number of minutes it takes to ferment sugar water to bio fuel. Default is 15.
LanternFuelCapacity: The number of minutes of fuel which a lantern or head-torch can store. Default is 30.
LanternLightLevel: The light level emitted by lanterns. Default is 16.
FlintAndSteelRequired: Whether a flint-and-steel is required to light any kind of lantern. Default is true.
MinecartActivatorToggle: How lantern minecarts respond to activator rails (see above section). Default is true.

Recipes
Spoiler:

Texture Pack Support

Posted Image
Asphyxious Custom Pack by Asphyxious

Coming soon!
  • Lantern Boats!
  • Automation!
Known Bugs
  • None!
Special Thanks

Thanks to Status_Fear for the new high-res lantern texture

Download
v1.3.5
Requires Minecraft 1.5.x and Forge 7.7.1.611+
http://adf.ly/PUWRX

Old Versions
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

MrVrantovskiTV

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

First- Nice D: But... there is furniture mod for this.

Dreamlash

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Don´t you think the recipe is pretty expensive? too much Iron.

But is good for be you first mod maybe.

@MrVra wich mod?
Posted Image  I´am The Queen :3

Wreckage
    Wreckage

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1327 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I don't see a config for changing block IDs or have I missed it? Out of 4096 block IDs I have used over 3500.
My only limitation is my lack of imagination.  I can't code but I can build Adventure Maps. :)
Compilation Map  Adventure Map  Four Towers Full Edition and Jump and Ladders plus  Halls of Thorn.

HyperNerd
  • Minecraft: HyperNerd

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostWreckage, on 25 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

I don't see a config for changing block IDs or have I missed it? Out of 4096 block IDs I have used over 3500.

No config yet - that will be added next update.

It uses 680, 681 and 682.

Wreckage
    Wreckage

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1327 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostHyperNerd, on 25 October 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

No config yet - that will be added next update.

It uses 680, 681 and 682.
Sweet, looking forward to it.
My only limitation is my lack of imagination.  I can't code but I can build Adventure Maps. :)
Compilation Map  Adventure Map  Four Towers Full Edition and Jump and Ladders plus  Halls of Thorn.

HrSob
    HrSob

Carpenter

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

How about use coal in lantern. When it in inventory. And to turn it on - would need a "flint and steel". I'm not saying about redstone use in lantern. So, it would be stupid to do that. But with "Head torch" - this exactly right place for redstone. By the way, how about creating a "Head torch" with any helmets...?

Great mod! I like it.
Yes... They still have a eternal winter. They still drink vodka all day long. They still walk's on streets with bear on leash, which play on balalayka. And of course at the weekend, they repair nuclear reactor with hammer and screwdriver at home.

jetventus3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

this is great like add to minecraft kind of great except as bothersome as it may be for other players i would recommend the use of fuel like you use a torch to light it but you dont get that torch back when it turns off.
also am i the only one who has not found naturally spawning sponges or do they not exist?
Posted Image dont knock till you try it

MrTedge
    MrTedge

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

you gona past the mod for 1.4.2? is very cool and i love this mods is perfect for mining

sorry for my bad english im from argentina

Fred0708
    Fred0708

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Nice mod! I'll be using this :)
Posted Image

gx202020

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

This is a very practical MOD

Look forward to be able to update to version 1.4.2

Thank you for your efforts

JamaicanSoup
  • Minecraft: JamaicanSoup

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

definitely think it should require fuel but otherwise its an epic mod!
Posted Image

Major 95
    Major 95

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostHrSob, on 26 October 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

How about use coal in lantern. When it in inventory. And to turn it on - would need a "flint and steel". I'm not saying about redstone use in lantern. So, it would be stupid to do that. But with "Head torch" - this exactly right place for redstone. By the way, how about creating a "Head torch" with any helmets...?

Great mod! I like it.

He says the helmet doesn't provide any armour and he thinks that it seems more balanced to have a constant light source with no armour. :)

Lady Eternity

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Love this mod. I have added this to the family install. It is a great precourser to the electric light helmet in IC2. Awesome job! Would like to see the flint and steel take damage each time you light the lantern, but it's no biggie. Really great job on this mod. Thanks for sharing it with the community. If you keep it updated it will always be added each version to the family install.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Lady E

Posted Image

bril
    bril

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Everything seems to be working fine expect when I right click the lantern, it doesn't light up.  It is fully fuled (shows 32) but right clicking upon it does nothing.  Every recipe work great...

Lady Eternity

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

View Postbril, on 13 November 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Everything seems to be working fine expect when I right click the lantern, it doesn't light up.  It is fully fuled (shows 32) but right clicking upon it does nothing.  Every recipe work great...
Have to have a flint and steel somewhere in your inventory.

Lady E

Posted Image

bril
    bril

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostLady Eternity, on 13 November 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Have to have a flint and steel somewhere in your inventory.

Lady E

Thanks, some how I missed the flint and steel part... Works great, handy for late night exploring.

The_Skeleton_killer

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

looks great :) i'll try it out in a bit

(SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH)

FANS4ever

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Cool mod bro :) and the hook idea is epic!!
Forever Protecting Hyrule (Zelda fans unite)
Posted Image

Hoodwink
    Hoodwink

Nether Resident

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2034 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Clever mod!  Like a few others, I think 6 iron is too expensive - I could make three swords or two pickaxes for that, and I think the fuel should last 10 minutes per bottle.   Posted Image  

It's only meant to be a small lamp which hangs on a small wall hook and even fits on a helmet, so I reckon one iron bar, one torch and one block of glass at most.  (Even then I would probably expect to see about 3 or 4 lamps produced at a time considering the small size of the lamp.)  It sounds quite cheap the way I put it, but you still have to fuel the things, and given the time involved to get the bottles and fuel it's not going to end up OP.
SsssssssssssssssssssssssssSURPRISE!  "What the FUUUU..."  BOOM

Cue song: "Don't Fear The Creeper...."