45 replies to this topic

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Minecraft: OryHara

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi all, Im wondering how safe the web demo on minecraft.net is. Cause when my dad tries the web demo on minecraft.net, he has to go through a security warning first.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Luis
    Luis

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

What? If you're referring to the dialog box that pops up asking if you trust the java source... Like every single java client available... Then yes, it's safe.

Rufus
    Rufus

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2231 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Windows just asks that all the time. It's perfectly safe; why wouldn't it be?
Posted Image

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

hate to report this, idk how it happened, but my dad got 5 viruses somehow playing the minecraft demo 0.0
Posted Image

CaptainSandbox

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

View Postrokgepz, on 16 October 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

hate to report this, idk how it happened, but my dad got 5 viruses somehow playing the minecraft demo 0.0
He might have got 5 viruses, But not from MC.
Posted Image
help meh own tah interwebs >:D

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

idk then, i've been playin since beta 1.5, never had a problem.

he just started yesterday, and he got 5 viruses
Posted Image

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

http://www.urlvoid.c.../minecraft.net/
Posted Image

InsanePainz
  • Minecraft: InsanePainz

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

Are you sure you are on minecraft.net?

More than likely you had viruses on your computer BEFORE you downloaded/tried the trial, and your virus scan is just picking up on them.
Or if the "virus scan" looks fishy, it could be a fake virus scan that came with another recent download.

I don't understand for sure what the problem is, but good luck to you and I hope this helps you.

DemonCrusher36

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

View Postrokgepz, on 16 October 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

Lol, if he played on minecraft.net he didnt. Or hes getting false positives.

Posted Image

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

this happened on minecraft.net. idk any other sites that host an official demo of this game.

and it wasnt false positives, cause they removed his antivirus
Posted Image

Luis
    Luis

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postrokgepz, on 17 October 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

this happened on minecraft.net. idk any other sites that host an official demo of this game.

and it wasnt false positives, cause they removed his antivirus

No. You don't get it. You had the viruses before going on minecraft.net, that's obvious.

Slay3R?
    Slay3R?

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1562 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

I sincerely doubt he picked up those viruses from the demo on minecraft.net. He might have picked up those viruses from a malicious advertisement which may or may not have been from minecraft.net (I'm not sure if they have adverts as I always use ad blockers).
Another possibility is that he already had a virus the antivirus was not able to detect which downloaded other viruses.

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostLuis, on 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

No. You don't get it. You had the viruses before going on minecraft.net, that's obvious.
your the one thats not getting it, lol. it happened on his pc, not mine.

and this started when he downloaded java 7 and started playing minecraft.

his pc was fine until he installed java and ran minecraft, so yea, dont say its impossible, mc is popular, and hackers always go for the big guys, like mojang.
Posted Image

Bradman5000
  • Minecraft: Bradman5000

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

It should be safe. I have tried it with a poor working computer and no scams or viruses

Slay3R?
    Slay3R?

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1562 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postrokgepz, on 17 October 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

your the one thats not getting it, lol. it happened on his pc, not mine.

and this started when he downloaded java 7 and started playing minecraft.

his pc was fine until he installed java and ran minecraft, so yea, dont say its impossible, mc is popular, and hackers always go for the big guys, like mojang.

It's more likely due to Java having some major security holes (as been stated again in the tech world recently) rather than the Minecraft demo being infected with some sort of backdoor dropping malware on the client. Make sure he is fully up to date on all his plugins/programs and OS updates and has good and properly set up anti virus/firewall products. Also make sure the computer is completely clear of any old viruses, formatting the harddrive is pretty much the only way to be sure of this.

You have to be aware that every software contains bugs which can potential be exploited by hackers to install malicious software on your system even though you have done everything you can to protect yourself. Having things like Java/Flash/you name it always increases the risk of a hacker finding a weak spot in your computers defense.

I still doubt the Minecraft demo itself is infected.

Gabrielhud
  • Minecraft: gabrielhud

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Something doesn't become an the most popular indie-blockkbuster that has ever come into existence by having virusses in it's demo. Also, if someone were to hack into Mojang, they would more likely steal all personal information on the system, re-route the payment section or take down the servers entirely rather than put a few virusses into the demo-download. I think hackers have much better things to do, and if something so large-scale as hacking into a massive company happened, the press would make a mountain out of it and everybody would know.

EDIT: He's not using macintosh, is he? Java on mac has some major security flaw at the moment apparently.
Posted ImageGENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. --- Read my 'about me' section and all shall become clear.

Hyperventilate

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'm willing to bet neither you, nor your father know what you're talking about. There is absolutely no way to prove he got these viruses through Minecraft unless he was willing to format his HD and start absolutely clean ensuring that the very first website he went to was Minecraft.net.

I'm willing to bet you (or your father) are just looking for a way to cover up your viruses obtained from... questionable interests? ;)

Life is not measured in the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

lol, your the one that doesnt know what your talking about. both me and my dad are good at computers. sometimes the most unlikely target is the most possible, squished.

nah, we use the same OS, windows xp pro, sp3

its kinda odd that he would be hit with 5 viruses pretty much almost instantly, that screams more then a java security problem to me.
Posted Image

Slay3R?
    Slay3R?

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1562 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

So you're running XP and Java? Please tell me you at least use an updated version of Java.

There are so many flaws both with Windows XP and Java I'm not surprised he's picking up viruses left right and center. Once again, I sincerely doubt they are caused through Minecraft. Go format, install only the programs required (A browser and Java) and try again.

Oh and I'm not surprised you get hit by several viruses at once. Most malicious adverts just detour you to their server and start 'bombing' you with tons of potential exploits. Some won't work, others will. Because of the sheer amount of exploits you'll probably end up with way more than the 5 viruses your antivirus caught.

Strongly advice you to format your harddrive and get a fresh install. Probably got one or several nasty backdoors just waiting to drop more viruses.

rokgepz
    rokgepz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

nah, i didnt get hit, my dad did. I use java 6, My dad installed java 7

he managed to get the viruses deleted, but he's too scared to try mc now.
Posted Image