Jeb is Taking Suggestions to an Addition to Redstone

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

callumkhang
  • Minecraft: callumkhang

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Quote from Jeb:

Yoyo    
I'm contemplating adding a latch block of some kind to Minecraft, but I'm not sure of which kind of latch or flipflop I should use. Here's a list of several designs for different functionality: http://www.minecraft..._.26_Flip-Flops[1]    
What I was thinking of adding was a simple memory cell block. It would have one input (S) and one output (O) similar to the repeater block, but where O only would be set to S if the controller signal © is on. In other words, when C=1 then O=S, but when C=0 then O keeps its old value regardless of S.    
The placement would be similar to the repeater, with S leading in and O leading out, but also with C coming from either left or right side.    
Thoughts?    

Posts your suggestions here (it's not going to be seen on this thread): http://www.reddit.co...would_you_want/
Youtube is back =) Click for redstone

Register or log in to remove.

whythisname

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Just because I still want this in vanilla: http://www.minecraft...-the-allocator/

Honestly though, because things like flipflops aren't hard to make these days due to pistons I really am only interested in the ability to do more different things, instead of making existing things simpler/smaller.

Otherwise, I think there are plenty of mods (redstone power to name 1) out there that have something like that already. So I think he should just look at those mods and draw inspiration from those.

btw, you might want to make the quote text bigger and just make it a quote... It's kinda hard to read with such small text and I don't even have half bad eyes.

callumkhang

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Fixed, quoting from reddit is dodgy, I'd like to have something similar like that as well. However he's making a latch block, not something like that =( May as well suggest something over there while he has his chance.

Selulance

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well... this sounds not that interesting to be honest, i'd like simple but effective stuff like:
  • Redstone/repeaters ontop of pistons
  • Redstone/repeaters beneath an upside down halfslab
  • Repeaters should be able to draw power from a slab/glowstone etc (doesn't affect anything, just improves redstone)
  • Repeaters with longer delays would be extremely useful in certain devices
  • Bluestone (lapis) which does not interfere with redstone at all (would be really, really cool)

TheKusari
  • Minecraft: TheKusari
  • Xbox:TheKusari

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Addition to redstone?? From Jeb??

Check these ideas of mine:

http://www.minecraft...ad-trophy-idea/

http://www.minecraft...one-torch-idea/

SUBSCRIBE to be part of SUBSCRIBER SMASH!

MinecraftChrizz
  • Minecraft: minecraftchrizz

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostSelulance, on 07 October 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Well... this sounds not that interesting to be honest, i'd like simple but effective stuff like:
  • Redstone/repeaters ontop of pistons
  • Redstone/repeaters beneath an upside down halfslab
  • Repeaters should be able to draw power from a slab/glowstone etc (doesn't affect anything, just improves redstone)
  • Repeaters with longer delays would be extremely useful in certain devices
  • Bluestone (lapis) which does not interfere with redstone at all (would be really, really cool)

You can use mods for that, I don't want this stuff in vanilla, it just makes no sense, it's not logical. (2 item id's in 1 block space, redstone on pistons will power them which breaks them.)

to Jeb: Please don't make 1 block flipflops.
Check out my channel for compact redstonecreations
https://www.youtube....MinecraftChrizz

TheMrTeraByte

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Eh latches are so small already, I can't see myself using a block for it.

The only suggestion in that entire reddit thread that I would be happy to have in the game is this:

G3nji_17 said:

I would be for adding the redstoneblock.

Hear me out please. It would be a block that is like a freely palceable redstonetorch. That means it is powered by default and powers the blocks around it like a torch, but it is pushable. It would also be turned off when powered like a torch.

This would be usefull in many ways:

We could need a pushable powersource for many machines, one beeing the pistondoors, many people constantly try to make the next bigger piston door and we are right now at a point where this block would sigificantly reduce the size of those doors and allow for a lot bigger doors.

It would greatly reduce the size of most existing contraptions by adding a smaller inverter, this way insted of having to power a torch on a block you had to just power the block intead. (You could also make the equivalent of a torchtower for downward)

It would be a source of ambient lighting, it would look good (we really need more colour variations for wool ctm maps), it would provide a better way to store the redstone that all the people are constantly ­ing about.

I think this block would greatly add to the game while not detroying the spirit of building giant complex contraptions out of the most simple componets.

Thank you for hearing me out :D

TL,DR: Redstoneblock that is a pushable, freefloating redtone torch.

Jeb replied to it that'd he'd consider it. This block would make me very happy indeed.

callumkhang

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostTheMrTeraByte, on 07 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Eh latches are so small already, I can't see myself using a block for it.

The only suggestion in that entire reddit thread that I would be happy to have in the game is this:

Jeb replied to it that'd he'd consider it. This block would make me very happy indeed.

THat would be EPIC, free floating machinees here we come!!>!!

Selulance

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostMinecraftChrizz, on 07 October 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

You can use mods for that, I don't want this stuff in vanilla, it just makes no sense, it's not logical. (2 item id's in 1 block space, redstone on pistons will power them which breaks them.)

to Jeb: Please don't make 1 block flipflops.

It makes perfect sense. If snow golems and iron golems make sense, then this makes way more sense.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Not sure about gates and latches. Sure it will be more simple by itself, but you'll have to power it from the sides or something.
So if you just need one, you'll save a tiny bit of space, but if you're making a complex thing it might not be tileable at all and ending up being bigger than designs without it.
That would be silly...

A Redstone Block would be nice. Glad Jeb is interested in it. :)
Too bad it seems it would only be a signal source and not a signal transmitter...
... We need TWO redstone blocks! :P One that behaves like a torch, and one like dust. ^_^

And don't tell me no one thought about downward diod blocks..?!? :D

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

A guide and ressource map.

MinecraftChrizz
  • Minecraft: minecraftchrizz

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostSelulance, on 07 October 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

It makes perfect sense. If snow golems and iron golems make sense, then this makes way more sense.

No it doesn't really, the way minecraft works is every 1x1x1 cube has an item id. making it 2 item id's in 1x1x1 would totaly screw everything up.
Check out my channel for compact redstonecreations
https://www.youtube....MinecraftChrizz

SofusTheGreat
  • Minecraft: SofusTheGreat

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostMinecraftChrizz, on 07 October 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

No it doesn't really, the way minecraft works is every 1x1x1 cube has an item id. making it 2 item id's in 1x1x1 would totaly screw everything up.
That wouldn't be all that hard to implement
ID x:y = Slab w/ redstone dust (OFF), where y is slab type
ID z:y = Slab w/ redstone dust (ON), where y is slab type
Posted Image

TheMrTeraByte

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostGoklayeh, on 07 October 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

A Redstone Block would be nice. Glad Jeb is interested in it. Posted Image
Too bad it seems it would only be a signal source and not a signal transmitter...
... We need TWO redstone blocks! Posted Image One that behaves like a torch, and one like dust. Posted Image

A normal block works like that, as long as you feed a repeater into it, doesn't it?

View PostGoklayeh, on 07 October 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

And don't tell me no one thought about downward diod blocks..?!? Posted Image

Or even better, a block that works as vertical redstone.

MrDenco
    MrDenco

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1657 posts
  • Minecraft: MrDenco

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Quite honestly I would like instant repeaters in game.

Why not give us the choice to lag?

And I guess Bluestone would be epic.
I always wanted to argue with a brick wall, I suppose the internet is the second best option.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostTheMrTeraByte, on 07 October 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

A normal block works like that, as long as you feed a repeater into it, doesn't it?

Or even better, a block that works as vertical redstone.

Well yes, but a redstone block that act like dust would transmit power to other redstone blocks.
( And dust too obviously)
So straight vertical redstone! ( Within the 15 max limit ofc.)
Normal blocks need strong power either before or after them to transmit power.

Transparent diod blocks are something else. We already have upward, would be nice to have downward.

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

A guide and ressource map.

Hydrattler

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

the only ideas i can think of are either already suggested, or in the redpower mod
Posted Image

Berwout
    Berwout

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2440 posts
  • Minecraft: AngelsDustz

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostHydrattler, on 07 October 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

the only ideas i can think of are either already suggested, or in the redpower mod
So where ponies one of them? C:<
Got my GTS 450 running at 900 MHz core (http://www.ozone3d.n...0.php?id=114106)
[Computer Specifications]

TheMrTeraByte

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostBerwout, on 07 October 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

So where ponies one of them? C:<

ಠ_ಠ

caramba2654
  • Minecraft: arshia111

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I just need sticky redstone. That's all.
Playing MInecraft since February 22, 2011

ton2790
    ton2790

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Minecraft: ton2790

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I like the redstone block(dust) idea.  But, it needs to have problems.
1.  Shorter signal strength (5-10)
2.  Unrecoverable

I would like it to be crafted like this, with + being redstone dust and G being glass.

GGG
G+G
GGG

It would look like redstone wire suspended in a glass block.

Any suggestions on Improvements?
url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]Posted Image[/url] [SSSS]