Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • Location: Feading the Ultimate beast at BloodBrothersInc.enjin.com
  • Minecraft: positivePXL
  • Xbox:ctbruce98

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostTaiine, on 10 November 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

No one here is being aggressive with you. If that is the way you're seeing it then I'm sorry.

The fact that you're saying how we don't want to change also applies to you not wanting to change

View PostKazoid, on 10 November 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

Step back and except that you've made a bad texture pack and then work on getting better.

View PostTaiine, on 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

The fact that you don't know about the in game item tooltips kinda scares me. Plus the fact that you 'skimmed' over everything shows you're not really interested in getting any feedback or advice from those of us who know what were doing and talking about.

Not just 'random ideas/this looks cool to me I'll use it'.

View PostKazoid, on 10 November 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

I couldn't have said it better myself
does this look like no one is being aggressive to me?  when i said skimmed, i meant in the sense that i was going to go over every single little problem, e-v-e-r-y    s-i-n-g-l-e    l-i-t-t-l-e    p-r-o-b-l-e-m, that was in the post.  tell me now that no one is aggressive, and i will know you only read 10% of my comments before moving on.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Taiine
    Taiine

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4189 posts
  • Minecraft: Taiine

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

No one is being aggressive. However you are becoming defensive and assuming aggression because you're not liking what you are hearing. Because we arn't saying how wonderful this pack is looking and are eager to jump in and use it.

Sorry that just is not so. Just because we are telling you your pack as is isn't any good, isn't us hating on you.  We are telling you how it is. You don't like it and take our word and twist it to us being aggressive to you, when all we've done is try and help you to improve and give you solid advice to make your pack BETTER. But you don't want to hear none of it.

You even had Lemon in here, a freaking amazing texture artist tell you how things are and you brush it all off. Really?

Shoot my first pack I ever made was full of random crap. People made fun of it, said it was bad. Instead of getting all defensive I listed, took what was said to heart, LEARNED from it, and changed the pack, then changed it again, and again, and again, in time I learned what worked and what didn't. I made a pack that at first no one wanted to touch to a pack many now wish to use. A pack that today I am still working on and even redid in full a few to use new skills and ideas I've learned.

Thats how you improve.

But if you don't want to, and want to ignore what everyone here has been saying and take our words in only your mind as aggression then you really need to take a step back and rethink what you are doing.

You want aggression? Hers some: I would have HATED to see you in school if you acted like this then. You get after a teacher and accuse them of hating on you for giving you a bad grade? Do you get defensive if your boss or coworker wants you to do a task differently? There NOW you have some aggression.

Good day.

Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostTaiine, on 11 November 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

You want aggression? Hers some: I would have HATED to see you in school if you acted like this then. You get after a teacher and accuse them of hating on you for giving you a bad grade? Do you get defensive if your boss or coworker wants you to do a task differently? There NOW you have some aggression.

Good day.
Its too bad you couldn't take the time to rethink your response.  because in school, you learn things, and you cant really get a bad grade if you don't know the content of the test.  in which case, it is most likely the teachers fault that the student didn't learn the content.  in this case, you tell me what is wrong with the pack, but don't tell me what to do about it.  I'm getting mad at the teacher because hes giving me a bad grade without telling me what I'm supposed to learn.
Posted Image

iLikeGaming782
  • Minecraft: iLikeGaming782

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postctbruce, on 11 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Its too bad you couldn't take the time to rethink your response.  because in school, you learn things, and you cant really get a bad grade if you don't know the content of the test.  in which case, it is most likely the teachers fault that the student didn't learn the content.  in this case, you tell me what is wrong with the pack, but don't tell me what to do about it.  I'm getting mad at the teacher because hes giving me a bad grade without telling me what I'm supposed to learn.
Spoiler:
If you were to look back over the last couple of pages you would find a whole bunch of things to help you learn. You have been shown how to embed ores and I posted  a couple of tutorials on pixel art. You cannot say that "we are giving you a bad grade without telling you what you're supposed to learn".
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

you and goodlyay, are my only successful teachers to date, and im still sceptic about you as well, i think you are the head of a secret terrorist organization you have rallied to raid my hovel ;)

lol

ladies and gentleman, i have decided that my theme is TOO BIG, for 16x, and we have now moved on to...   32X!!!     this is gunna be a whole new way to learn, im gunna fail so many times :D
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

as i anticipated, its... gunna be... "interesting".  aka, i failed the first time i tried it, this is gunna be fun :[]
Posted Image

iLikeGaming782

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

View Postctbruce, on 11 November 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

you and goodlyay, are my only successful teachers to date, and im still sceptic about you as well, i think you are the head of a secret terrorist organization you have rallied to raid my hovel Posted Image

lol

ladies and gentleman, i have decided that my theme is TOO BIG, for 16x, and we have now moved on to...   32X!!! this is gunna be a whole new way to learn, im gunna fail so many times Posted Image
May I inquire what the theme actually is? I haven't been able to tell from previous textures, but I suppose I can get it from the title. "The advanced age of textures", futuristicy? idk
EDIT: Please could you post the "Failure texture"
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

View PostiLikeGaming782, on 11 November 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

May I inquire what the theme actually is? I haven't been able to tell from previous textures, but I suppose I can get it from the title. "The advanced age of textures", futuristicy? idk
EDIT: Please could you post the "Failure texture"
absolutely, tomorrow. tonight i need extra sleep for the winter nationals in the morning, hehe.  the failure texture has so many tiling errors, it was made to be the background for textures embedded in stone, smooth stone, ores, etc.  it ended up looking like a really fuzzy bedrock, because, i figured because of its immense size, that I would nned at least 4 hours to complete it to my liking, before testing for tiling errors.  so i took a bunch of random, grey-scale streaks, through the texture, and went over it like 10 times with a low level noise filter.  running more random streaks through areas i could tell weren't gunna tile well. its so bad dude, i actually feel pretty embarrased that this was i came out with.
Posted Image

Taiine
    Taiine

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4189 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm getting mad at the teacher because hes giving me a bad grade without telling me what I'm supposed to learn.
...are you.. for real? For the last few pages all we;ve been trying to do is guide you and help you improve. But you have IGNORED all that. Shoot even Lemon has stopped posting and hes freaking amazing and knows what hes talking about. Giving up because you don't want to listen to anything said and twist things around.

Lets see what we are 'not telling you' to learn.

View PostMCproaedificater, on 06 November 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

IsnĀ“t this Emerald Block? Posted Image

View PostTaiine, on 07 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

One thing to keep in mind is to try and keep blocks in a recognizable state where at a first glance you'll know what it is. Rather by shape or color. Having items/blocks look like something else can confuse people and turn people away from using your pack.

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 07 November 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

This, and have reasoning behind your textures. Why was the design used? Why was the color chosen? How did this thing get created/crafted?

For instance, how does dirt become a terrarium by a hoe?

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 08 November 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

part of my point is that good textures will explain themselves, either by being well executed, or by being a relatable idea. Relatable ideas are based on common sense, such as using making a texture based on a crafting recipe.

Otherwise, if you have to explain it, it turns into a fantasy. If that's what you're going for, sure, but most people aren't into that thing, especially in vanilla Minecraft.

View PostTaiine, on 08 November 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

The fact is, your farm land in no way resembles farm land. If we were out in the world, and see it laid out, would we think 'oh that's farmland' vs 'oh someones placing a lot of emerald blocks' or whatever else it acually looks like.

If you can not tell what it is by looking at it, then it's not a good design. As said most here thought it to be emeralds, and I thought your seeds were ladders.

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 08 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

A good texture for survival mode would be recognized by the player in under 5 seconds, just by looking at it, and should "feel" like it should. If this doesn't happen, you either need a different idea, an new design, or you need to execute the idea better.

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 09 November 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

There aren't "sides", as this isn't intended as an argument.  The intention is to help you with developing your pack in all aspects, which requires direction and criticism.

As texture artists ourselves, texture discussion denizens, and myself thinking about things a lot, we're just trying to point out things you may not know about or have even thought about.

View PostTaiine, on 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Go take a moment and browse though the texturepack forum, look at whats out there and you'd see why the packs that are popular are such. Items and blocks being recognizable, everything flowing well in a thought out theme, a nice color pallet. Not just 'random ideas/this looks cool to me I'll use it'.

I can go on quoting but you'll likeky twist this into something it's not as well. I think a mod should lock this and for you to move on, as if we have been 'giving a bad grade without telling you what you're supposed to learn' then you must have never read anything I quoted above or are the type that does not want to take advice and as such shouldn't be posting here anyway.

Just as everyone else has done. I quit. Good day.

Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

i had no intention on carrying this over, but for the sake of the argument, good riddance.  but for the time being, i still need a terrain.png, and half the stuff you told me from there is only so by your rules,  A good texture for survival mode would be recognized by the player in under 5 seconds, just by looking at it, and should "feel" like it should. If this doesn't happen, you either need a different idea, an new design, or you need to execute the idea better, like here, this sint necessarily true, If you can not tell what it is by looking at it, then it's not a good design. As said most here thought it to be emeralds, and I thought your seeds were ladders, as is here.  now i could go on quoting, but you'll likely be a smart ass and "say it aint so".  i think a mod should lock you up because i moved on from this, you kept going,  you clearly didnt get it, when i said, that my pack is to big for 16x, i was giving in, so just as i am about to do, i'm not gunna let it phase me that one more troll isn't gunna be here.

now off to the winter nationals.
Posted Image

Taiine
    Taiine

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4189 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Oh so now you're calling everyone that's tried to help you trolls? I can see why even lemon, a very respected texture artist on these forums has even stopped bothering with you.

Good way to paint yourself in a bad light.

Posted Image

iLikeGaming782

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

View Postctbruce, on 11 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

i had no intention on carrying this over, but for the sake of the argument, good riddance.  but for the time being, i still need a terrain.png, and half the stuff you told me from there is only so by your rules,  A good texture for survival mode would be recognized by the player in under 5 seconds, just by looking at it, and should "feel" like it should. If this doesn't happen, you either need a different idea, an new design, or you need to execute the idea better, like here, this sint necessarily true, If you can not tell what it is by looking at it, then it's not a good design. As said most here thought it to be emeralds, and I thought your seeds were ladders, as is here.  now i could go on quoting, but you'll likely be a smart ass and "say it aint so".  i think a mod should lock you up because i moved on from this, you kept going,  you clearly didnt get it, when i said, that my pack is to big for 16x, i was giving in, so just as i am about to do, i'm not gunna let it phase me that one more troll isn't gunna be here.

now off to the winter nationals.
You're really not helping yourself here, you make out that everyone is against you when we are only trying to help you improve your skills. If you carry on acting the way you are then no-one will help you.
I also think that perhaps this thread should be locked. It's for the best, keep practicing pixel art and then maybe in a month or two make a new thread and show some pixel art/textures that you have made and ask for criticism. And try not to take it as bad as you have done here :)
Posted Image

GroovCatz
  • Minecraft: Linyah_Sythril

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Personally, I find the argument pointless. Honestly, He doesn't have to listen to anyone. I understand where he comes from though. Thats how I started, Tracing over default textures. I did get hate, but eventually I removed the thread due to flaming, but I took everything into heart. at the moment I am working on a texture pack, and its work. We all work at our own pace, CT is just being difficult. No one likes to hear people say things about their texture packs, and some hate advice/criticism more than anything. Let him get used to it, and end this argument. He will do whatever, we can't influence what he does. His choices are his. and personally, I'm going to support him in hopes he'll slowly get better at all of this.
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

i just thought id give an ig pick of the seed, I have only done a few stages, so i labeled them, 1-8.  thats why there is a #1.
Posted Image

and also, i would like to present, the ultimate, fail texture:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deonyi
    Deonyi

Enderman Ender

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 9045 posts
  • Minecraft: Deonyi

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

View Postctbruce, on 11 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

You know that your gravel thing is one of the best textures you have made?

Posted Image

GroovCatz

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Change that from Stone to gravel, and you have a great gravel texture, minus tiling errors.
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostDeonyi, on 12 November 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

You know that your gravel thing is one of the best textures you have made?

View PostGroovCatz, on 12 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Change that from Stone to gravel, and you have a great gravel texture, minus tiling errors.
never even came to mind that i could do that -_-  ::implemented::
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if i left you with absolutely nothing but pictures for 2 weeks.  note, these are now 32x textures, so use optifine/mcpatcher please. progress: wheat progression, gravel, and smooth stone.  I am releasing this to you guys in in the understanding that i know there are horrible tiling errors in the new textures, i am on it, but that's another day.  other than that, until i can figure out online downloads, you wont be able to see anything not on the terrain.png, like the seed ( item ) texture i made on the item.png. until then, help me figure it out here:
http://www.minecraft...k-to-your-pack/
and for now:Posted Image
Posted Image

GroovCatz

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Looking Good. ^^ Any screenshots of all blocks edited?
Posted Image

ctbruce
    ctbruce

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostGroovCatz, on 13 November 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

Looking Good. ^^ Any screenshots of all blocks edited?
i did a screenshot pf 1.4.2-1 in all of its glory, but nothing like it other than that, thanks for giving me a job for tomorrow.  now, you have a choice, i go do a little hunting for a custom map designed to show off texture packs, and use that for every single upcoming update, or 2, just throw them all together in a neat pattern that shows them off.  either way works fine for me.

this is like 1.4.2-1.2 beta, so i have until the official release of 1.4.2-2 to get to get it done
Posted Image