• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

FortressCraft

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1934 replies to this topic

ProjectorGames

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

As requested at by a nice moderator, here's the best place to flame me, my ideas, my plans. Here is also the best place to encourage and suggest ideas.

I'll try and keep this first post updated with anything anyone asks. I'll also try and be nice. I promise.

What am I talking about?

http://www.fortresscraft.com

The goal is to release it on Xbox first. If I can find a way to release it on PC, I'll definitely investigat that. I don't know of anywhere tho.
Check out Fortresscraft - 2011's VoxGame for the Xbox.

"Tell me it cannot be done, and I shall reply 'Watch me'"

Register or log in to remove.

Troubletcat

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Looks like pretty good work. The graphics are obviously a step up from MC. Are you only developing this on Xbox or other platforms as well?

Probably my biggest question though, is what you're going to do to make it distinct from MC. I don't mind seeing other games LIKE MineCraft but I think it's definitely important to give it its own spin or flavour. Even the graphics, while much more impressive than MineCraft's, look very similar.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Everything's not going to be O.K.

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade. Now with Minecraft videos!

ProjectorGames

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Troubletcat said:

Looks like pretty good work. The graphics are obviously a step up from MC. Are you only developing this on Xbox or other platforms as well?

Probably my biggest question though, is what you're going to do to make it distinct from MC. I don't mind seeing other games LIKE MineCraft but I think it's definitely important to give it its own spin or flavour. Even the graphics, while much more impressive than MineCraft's, look very similar.

Well, that's really hard to say. Basically, all the things I love in Minecraft will come across (freedom, mining, exploring, creating, huge vistas, crafting, minecarts), but the things I hate won't (pointless minecarts, nether, lag), and things that I think should be in there will get added. I'm a huge Dwarf Fortress fan, so no prizes for guessing what else is likely to be a major influence on the game. I've also had the distinct pleasure of working with some of the Dungeon Keeper team, and I would love to combine all three in some sort of unholy trinity.

I can close my eyes and see a huge cavern, running down many metres, with powered mine carts, their headlamps lighting up the area, and them auto-unloading themselves at the production area, conveyor belts ready to take them to the manufacturing plant.

It currently cross-compiles for the PC, tho networking is limited to LAN only right now. I would love to be able to upload regular builds, but I don't know of anywhere that would offer the hosting, anti-piracy and credit-card payment stuff that I'd need. Ideas welcome!

BenJ
    BenJ

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1365 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Oooh! Shiny!

Id buy this. This looks like epic.

C1DR4N
    C1DR4N

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

I don't like the fact that you're planning to release it for Xbox, if you do it for PS3 or PC your have my support and a customer ;D.

Other than that it looks cool, I hope you add something like survival that's what drove me into Minecraft.
First there were mines, then vaults came.

SteveMND

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Dang; just X-box?  Given all the problem I've been having just getting MC to run, I'd happily go with this one right now on my PC if it would work. :-)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ProjectorGames

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

C1DR4N said:

I don't like the fact that you're planning to release it for Xbox, if you do it for PS3 or PC your have my support and a customer ;D.

As I said, aim is for PC, if I had a *way* of releasing it :)
Sony offer precisely zero support for Indie devs. Blame them, not me :(

UatecUK
    UatecUK

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

FortressCraft is written in XNA, and so we are developing on PC. Our initial release will be Xbox only, but given that it already works on PC, we're considering customising it for PC and releasing it on PC too. Maybe Mac, Linux and Silverlight as well at some point, if it's practical.

ProjectorGames

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

UatecUK said:

FortressCraft is written in XNA, and so we are developing on PC. Our initial release will be Xbox only, but given that it already works on PC, we're considering customising it for PC and releasing it on PC too. Maybe Mac, Linux and Silverlight as well at some point, if it's practical.

And Windows 7 phones, with a small reduction in draw distance (but not world size )

DaBiggman

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

If you make a port for PC, Ill buy two!
Posted Image
Diamond Awards: 2

DaBiggman, you now have my favorite avatar on these forums

fat0ninja

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

It looks gorgeous. If you end up releasing for PC I'd definitely buy it.

Shift1337

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Won't this cause some legal issues once Mojang sees it?
"Dad? Dad I'm- … y- … Not a crazed gunman, Dad, I'm an assassin! Well, the difference being one's a job, and the other's mental sickness!" -Sniper

pogocoop
    pogocoop

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

How much will you release it for on X-box?

Oh yeah... My X-box is broken.... Just one something I want is being developed for it   :/

Posted Image

Creeper in your bed said:

Kyloem said:

How does someone write pictures?
With SCIENCE!

ProjectorGames

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

Shift1337 said:

Won't this cause some legal issues once Mojang sees it?

As I have asked several times before; exactly what laws are you purporting I have broken?

ProjectorGames

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

pogocoop said:

Oh yeah... My X-box is broken.... Just one something I want is being developed for it   :/

The current plan (subject to market forces!) is to release one 'Chapter' every 4-6 weeks. So Chapter 1 is basically Minecraft's Creative, Chapter 2 adds in crafting, Chapter 3 adds in life, Chapter 4 adds in machinery, Chapter 5 adds in Minions, Chapter 6 adds in PvP, Chapter 7 adds in Fortress Assault mode... (or whatever). Unfortunately, the option to sell the game for $15 just isn't there, so each Chapter will be 80MSP. Which is about 60p/99cents. I'd sincerely hope that you get your money's worth from each chapter! :>

As for the PC version, still no idea. Like I said, nowhere to release it!

judule1
    judule1

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:57 AM

Amazing work-best of luck in getting this much done already. Also, I'm fairly sure that you can start your own company if you get enough revenue from the initial Xbox sales. A suggestion/question: If you're going to make this distinct from MC, then how will you do it-regions controlled by a player, NPC's, random events (such as a meteor or pillaging hordes of cows)?

Or, if you want to get really serious, chickens with stealth abilities.

Kittytravel said:

Welshclaw encountered a wild Minecraft.net is down!
Welshclaw used Connect!
It missed!
Minecraft.net used Unavailable!
Welshclaw has fainted!

DaBiggman

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

You, Sir, are trying to entire a WORLD of pain and misery the likes few have ever seen.
Chicken with stealth abilities are the ultimate assassins, no one expects them...
Posted Image
Diamond Awards: 2

DaBiggman, you now have my favorite avatar on these forums

ProjectorGames

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

judule1 said:

Amazing work-best of luck in getting this much done already. Also, I'm fairly sure that you can start your own company if you get enough revenue from the initial Xbox sales. A suggestion/question: If you're going to make this distinct from MC, then how will you do it-regions controlled by a player, NPC's, random events (such as a meteor or pillaging hordes of cows)?

Haven't you see the latest video?

yL8Y4Xwb0Ck

See the hordes of VERY stealthy chickens?

I think my eventual main differential will be that I'd like to control a horde of minions that do stuff for you. So at the start of the game, you're mining out areas for your (dwarves) to live in, and by the end, you're looking after them. And minecarts. Did I mention I like minecarts?

fat0ninja

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

ProjectorGames said:

pogocoop said:

The current plan (subject to market forces!) is to release one 'Chapter' every 4-6 weeks. So Chapter 1 is basically Minecraft's Creative, Chapter 2 adds in crafting, Chapter 3 adds in life, Chapter 4 adds in machinery, Chapter 5 adds in Minions, Chapter 6 adds in PvP, Chapter 7 adds in Fortress Assault mode... (or whatever). Unfortunately, the option to sell the game for $15 just isn't there, so each Chapter will be 80MSP. Which is about 60p/99cents. I'd sincerely hope that you get your money's worth from each chapter! :>

So you could, for example, buy only the creative mode, for a dollar?

ProjectorGames

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

fat0ninja said:

ProjectorGames said:

pogocoop said:

So you could, for example, buy only the creative mode, for a dollar?

Yup. I'm hoping all the amazingly exciting stuff that goes into each Chapter is enough to persuade you to part with another dollar, of course. Tho, really, my main motivation isn't money, I just like making stuff, and I like people making stuff with stuff I make.

I do also like money tho.