• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

FlowFJ
    FlowFJ

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

I built the mob trap that is listed on the wiki (http://www.minecraft...ompact_Mob_Trap). The spawning platform (8x8x2) is at y=89. My collection point (where I'm standing) is y=59.

That is 30 blocks away, so they should spawn, right?

This is what my trap looks like if it matters:
Spoiler:

Thanks in advance!

Register or log in to remove.

dogeatdogworld

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Maybe you should put it in a village, iv'e heard that mobs spawn a lot more when close to villages.Posted Image
Posted Image

NerdaKrew

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

turn of peaceful

Boundegar
    Boundegar

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4820 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

View Postdogeatdogworld, on 29 September 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Maybe you should put it in a village, iv'e heard that mobs spawn a lot more when close to villages.Posted Image
No they don't.

You might make sure you didn't leave it full of torches.  Also, 8x8 is a really small spawner, you won't get a waterfall of monsters.

ignotusvir

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostBoundegar, on 30 September 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

No they don't.

You might make sure you didn't leave it full of torches.  Also, 8x8 is a really small spawner, you won't get a waterfall of monsters.
All true.
There's a bunch of things that happened to nerf mob spawners. Such as the mob limit - if mobs are spawning elsewhere, then you can barely get a trickle of mobs out of that box you have. The solution? Light. Up. Everything.
(except your mob spawning chamber)

admiralwaffles
  • Minecraft: admiralwaffles

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

^This

Villanelo
    Villanelo

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2225 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

The dark room spawners are not worth it right now, yes. I recently discovered this in my current world, after spending 2 days building one in the side of a mountain. :P
Juega las cartas que te da el momento. Mañana es solo un adverbio de tiempo.

Jus275
    Jus275

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Minecraft: Jus275

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Light up ALL the caves!!!

But in all seriousness, even if a few caves arent lit up it can have a HUGE difference in the rate of your mob spawner.  Mobs will spawn within a 128 block radius of you, so any unlit cave within that radius will be able to spawn mobs. Once you light up the caves I dont see a reason why it shouldnt work

Malacodor
    Malacodor

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Build this one. It avoids problems like unlit caves and mobs not falling.

Person360
  • Minecraft: Person360

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

As mentioned, the mobs probably do spawn in there, but just not every often. You either need to make it larger, or light up as many areas as you can in the loaded chunks.

Hmm... Since less chunks are loaded on tiny render distance, do more mobs per chunk?
Posted Image

adanfime12
  • Minecraft: adanfime12
  • Xbox:adanfime

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

1.- Make sure peaceful is off
2.- I noticed you have a 2-block high space for the mobs to spawn. Add one more layer so there is a 3-block space. That "might" help ^^
Posted Image

LtKernelPanic

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostVillanelo, on 30 September 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

The dark room spawners are not worth it right now, yes. I recently discovered this in my current world, after spending 2 days building one in the side of a mountain. Posted Image

Not true. The Insanity Grinder I built says otherwise. You just need to light up all caves within roughly 150 blocks of the trap.

View PostJus275, on 30 September 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Light up ALL the caves!!!

But in all seriousness, even if a few caves arent lit up it can have a HUGE difference in the rate of your mob spawner.  Mobs will spawn within a 128 block radius of you, so any unlit cave within that radius will be able to spawn mobs. Once you light up the caves I dont see a reason why it shouldnt work

Bingo. In our spawn town I built a docm style bird cage that had poor rates until I spent some time caving in the area. Now the rates aren't too bad for its relatively small size.

View Postadanfime12, on 01 October 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

2.- I noticed you have a 2-block high space for the mobs to spawn. Add one more layer so there is a 3-block space. That "might" help ^^

It won't unless you want to spawn endermen which need to fall 44 blocks to die. The other hosttile mobs will spawn fine in a two block area.

bobri
    bobri

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1179 posts
  • Minecraft: bobri

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

For high efficiency, you need hundreds of spawning spaces, and for all the caves to be lit up. you system is rather small, so even when all the caves are lit up you may need to expand it some more for maximum mob rates.

No, it isn't butter, it is gold

Now that we have that sorted out, can you please leave, thanks?

derpderpmoo

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have about 700 spawning spaces, all caves lit up (well no mobs spawning, checked with a hacked client) 25 blocks from the first spawning pad and I get MAYBE 1 mob a min... Help?!?
I'm on a server, if that changed anything