• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

A Way to Make Jukeboxes Loop

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Captain Pirate

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

I love the Jukebox, but hate having to keep manually re-loading the Record.
So, I propose this idea: A way of looping the Jukebox indefinately.
Simply done, place a Lever on the side of the Jukebox.
Leave the Lever up, and the Jukebox will, as usual, play the Record, then eject.
However, flick the Lever down, and the record will loop after finishing until you switch the lever back up.

This should make for more homely houses/castles/what have you, and also, if you have multiple Jukeboxes, you could leave yourself a trail home: Follow the music to get back to base.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Kythlyn
    Kythlyn

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Instead of a switch on the jukebox, why not just use the existing power systems? If the jukebox has power, it plays. If there is a short burst of power (like from a pressure plate), the record will play once. But if there is a permanent power source, it loops indefinitely.

Captain Pirate

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

Kythlyn said:

Instead of a switch on the jukebox, why not just use the existing power systems? If the jukebox has power, it plays. If there is a short burst of power (like from a pressure plate), the record will play once. But if there is a permanent power source, it loops indefinitely.

I thought of that, and I guess that could be possible too, but I thought the Lever would be much simpler and easier.
I'm not too good with Redstone wirings myself.

I guess both could exist, like how a button next to a door opens the door briefly, without needing a redstone connection, yet you can still set up redstone connections to open it anyway.

Posted Image

tapees
    tapees

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Minecraft: tapeees
  • Xbox:Tapeees

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Love the idea. I can attempt it :D

oh and for the idea  :SSSS:

HaniiPuppy

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

View PostCaptain Pirate, on 31 January 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

I thought of that, and I guess that could be possible too, but I thought the Lever would be much simpler and easier.
I'm not too good with Redstone wirings myself.

I guess both could exist, like how a button next to a door opens the door briefly, without needing a redstone connection, yet you can still set up redstone connections to open it anyway.

A lever provides a permanent redstone signal. Buttons provide a brief one. There doesn't have to be redstone involved to have a redstone signal, if the circuit is simple enough (ie a button next to a door).

Just have it so that when the record finishes, it performs a check to see if the block is powered - if it isn't, do what it does now; if it is, repeat the record :D

xXAkterSnurraXx
  • Minecraft: xXAkterSnurraXx

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

View Posttapees, on 12 May 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

Love the idea. I can attempt it :D

oh and for the idea  :SSSS:
So tapees how did it go with the loop mod?
would really like to have one now that the new musicdiscs are in the game.
Hey, you are a <this message has been deleted><this message has been deleted><this message has been deleted>!!!!!!!

azanic
    azanic

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • Minecraft: azanic

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

People!! imagine the applications for adventure maps for eg walks across a pressure pad when about to go outside in an adventure map. power applies to a jukebox carrying far. far plays. epic win
Support Dead Frontier An MMO Zombie Game
If it aint worth fixing dont fix it.

tonyb7
    tonyb7

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostCaptain Pirate, on 31 January 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

I love the Jukebox, but hate having to keep manually re-loading the Record.
So, I propose this idea: A way of looping the Jukebox indefinately.
Simply done, place a Lever on the side of the Jukebox.
Leave the Lever up, and the Jukebox will, as usual, play the Record, then eject.
However, flick the Lever down, and the record will loop after finishing until you switch the lever back up.

This should make for more homely houses/castles/what have you, and also, if you have multiple Jukeboxes, you could leave yourself a trail home: Follow the music to get back to base.
if it eject you will lose the CD if you're not there

SuperMinerCrafting

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I thought of redstone. But it would have to play the whole thing right? And if it does that, what if it rapidly plays? That would be really noisy. It's possible to make it automaticly turn off and on and if you connected that to the jukebox, that would be insane. How about you instead, you craft the jukebox into a looping jukebox somehow. Or make the CDs into looping CDs by crafting somehow.
Clicky---->Posted Image<----Clicky

VermillionTwilight
  • Minecraft: VermillionX

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

^ Too many new items for the devs.

A lever to switch between modes for the jukebox is a good idea. Ejecting when done if set to play a single track is stupid though. The disc should remain in the machine like it does now when it finishes.
Both levers and redstone wiring should power/play the jukebox.
Posted Image

Edza_
    Edza_

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Minecraft: Edza_

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

I personally like Jukebox , a lot.
In game music is really well done and can bring out that specific mood you want with , of course, specific disc.
I am highly surprised and kind of disappointed at the same time that there isn't a Jukebox looping feature implemented.

I am pretty sure there will be many more discs out in the future.

What i honestly want is a distant jukebox activation (Slab/piston/button etc)
How i see it should be done ...

A redwiring impulse gives a signal to play a disc that is currently in the Jukebox till that track ends.
A redwiring impulse stream loops track of a disc that is currently inside the jukebox.

A chest or even better a new half-block that represents and looks just like a ''Record plate box''
for more convincing look it would have record plates sticking out vertically or even better
a ''Juke box'' i'm not referring to already existing jukebox , but more like additional part for it
where you can legitly place discs and if configured right even play them in some specific playlist.
Either way right next to a jukebox it should give 2 additional options.

A redwiring impulse gives a signal to start play disc inside the jukebox.
If there is no disc inside jukebox it randomly takes a disc from chest or ''Record plate box'' or ''Juke box''
and after track is done it places disc back in chest or ''Record plate box'' or ''Juke box''

A redwiring impulse stream does the same only loops the process until redwire impulse is interrupted .

Anyway ... it makes me a little sad that there ain't many ''Jukebox'' fans out there that would actually recommend
innovative features like looping jukebox more often. There are still some items that have some flaws.

Hope Notch team will see this and hopefully think about implementing such feature.

PheniX_FlamE
  • Minecraft: NinjA_PheniX

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

or we could just have it so when u put the disc in it keeps playing till u right click and get the disc out again

Edza_
    Edza_

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Minecraft: Edza_

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostPheniX_FlamE, on 05 March 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

or we could just have it so when u put the disc in it keeps playing till u right click and get the disc out again

This solution is simple ... yet it would not solve still existing problems
and main reason why this topic was made and still continued.

Distance activation/deactivation
Changing a track
Flexible in terms of implementation of a structure or a certain activity or a scheme.

You see this block has big potential which hasn't been used or to be correct
can't be used since it has no reaction to redstone , yet.

drthslyr
    drthslyr

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

okay i have an idea which could maybe work..
if you're playing in a server and when you place a jukebox, you have to enter a name to it.
lets say "drthslyrs-jukebox" and then a number from either 0 - 999 and you pick a number, number being unqiue so there are no cross errors.
then you set up the automatic looping and then if you want to activate it you have to enter a command like.
/activate drthslyrs-jukebox 24. -

jukebox plays and will loop untill you deactivate it with a command like.
/deactivate drthslyrs-jukebox 24.

maybe something like that idk. just an idea....

TyphoonMC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Love this idea! It could easily be done I'm sure.

starlinvf
    starlinvf

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3169 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Somehow I believe this problem will never end until the music box gets a storage type UI.

flameoguy
  • Minecraft: flameoguy
  • Xbox:N/A

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

I think instead of a "lever" it would have to be touching a powered block, like how a redstone lamp or TNT ignites. So you could use a redstone torch, advanced current, or a lever as you said. Also, I think instead of the power detrmining how it functions, it should require electricity to function, so if kept "on" it would contine playing. If "off" it would not play at all.

Another idea: They should make these look like turntables and the record playing should be shown on the top.

View PostEdza_, on 05 March 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

You see this block has big potential which hasn't been used or to be correct
can't be used since it has no reaction to redstone , yet.

Exactly, Redstone should CONTROL it.

View PostCaptain Pirate, on 31 January 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

Bump?

Bump.
Posted Image
Yes. Yes I do.

Mirgeaux
    Mirgeaux

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • Minecraft: Mirgeaux

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Jeb could add this in the Redstone Update (1.5) since it IS about redstone! :D
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2182756-][img]http://imgur.com/VnsEIk2[/img][/url]

flameoguy
  • Minecraft: flameoguy
  • Xbox:N/A

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostMirgeaux, on 06 December 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Jeb could add this in the Redstone Update (1.5) since it IS about redstone! Posted Image

True, he should. Total support.
Posted Image
Yes. Yes I do.

oragamihawk
  • Minecraft: oragamihawk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

droppers and hoppers?