• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

TailorCraft: design your own clothing in game.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

telekrus

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

First, yes, I did use the search bar.

This is a suggestion to add clothing to the game. "Clothing?" you ask, "Isn't that what skins are for? why would we need clothing?"

well, a number of reasons. First of all, a lot of people play minecraft on their laptops, and tend to play it in places where they can't connect to minecraft.net. This means that they can't use their skins.

Also, and this is more important, sometimes players want to change how they look without going to the trouble of editing or downloading a new skin. This would allow people to change their appearance in countless ways inside the game.

How it works:
it's really quite simple. You basically craft armor out of cloth. Now that the game has many different kinds of cloth, the options are endless for how to customize your appearance: you can use a grey hat, an orange shirt, and blue leggings, for example.

But wait, that would be stupid. The clothing I'm proposing doesn't just look like differently colored armor: it looks like actual clothing, with each color having its own style of dress.

"Wait, what?"
for example, green clothing will appear as camouflage uniforms, magenta will make you look like a guy from the sixties, and lime will make you look like a creeper.

You can then customize them in various ways: you could have a creeper's head, but be dressed in a sixties disco costume. Sound like fun?

All clothing will have the durability of leather armor (maybe just a little lower). This will make it so that clothes don't require you to sacrifice your armor: you just have to wear weaker armor.

Of course, you can wear clothing with armor and/or pumpkins. Who wants to be a creeper in steel boots with a pumpkin head?

The clothing would also be editable like all parts of the texture pack. This will give people even greater options in how they dress.

Ideally, everyone would be able to upload what they want all their clothes to look like on line. This would allow people to dress any way they want, and have everyone see them that way.

For example, say one person edited their gray clothing, and another didn't. with the suggestion directly above, if the two were on the same server, they would both see the first person's clothing as edited.

Here are all the clothing types (more pictures coming soon)

all pictures are taken with the clothes on our slightly awkward model: default minecraft guy.

All these pictures will just be ideas. Notch shouldn't feel obliged to use them.
I apologize if you don't like my skinning technique.

White:
Posted Image
It's a skeleton in a karate uniform!

Light Gray:
Posted Image
you may be all alone on an island, but at least you match the latest style.

Gray:
Posted Image
see, in a city, a suit like this would cost a couple hundred bucks. You can make one by punching sheep.

Black: Ninja suit

Red: dark red and black wizard robes

Orange: Not sure yet.

Yellow: Not sure yet

Lime: Creeper costume (always popular)

Green: camouflage

Light Blue: Dress and Festive Hat

Cyan: Construction worker outfit

Blue: noble/wizardly robes

Pink: Blouse, skirt, jewelery

Magenta: 60's costume

Purple: Leather jacket and sunglasses

Brown: Tattered tunic

Please be patient about the pictures. I'm working on them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

MrMackey

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

ya, I guess this could work if you were too lazy to get a skin
[Diamond] Posted Image [Diamond]
Posted Image Posted Image

Minerweirduser1000

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Amazing idea. I would love to be a miner going down the mines in a construction worker outfit.

I give you diamonds:
:D  :D  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:  

:D
I APPROVE
My signature is made by the awsome Emperor Penguin.
Posted Image

Posted Image

telekrus

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Okay, I started adding images.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Minerweirduser1000

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

Bump.
My signature is made by the awsome Emperor Penguin.
Posted Image

Posted Image

telekrus

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

2 more costumes added.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sniggyfigbat
  • Minecraft: sniggyfigbat

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hmmm. I really think that this, though nice, is not a priority. A skin editor on the menu would be nice though, as a simplified version of this.

I appreciate your input at its true value.
Trust me on this.

lilman14tpm
  • Minecraft: lilman14

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

i agree with sniggyfigbat
Screw tree hugging I punch 'em
Posted Image

Fredfredbug4

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

This is useless. Everyone except little kids know how to install skins. Plus in single player why would you need a different look anyway? Nobody can see you except mobs and who plays the game in 3rd person?
Posted Image

themohawkninja
  • Location: In the Nether getting shot at by GhastTamer's Ghast.
  • Minecraft: themohawkninja

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Ninja's in minecraft... my life has been made.
All map threads here: http://www.minecraft...ap-mega-thread/.........

Irony below.

Posted Image

zomgguitarz1234

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'd rather have notch add something useful like grates or pistons than this.

Mt.popsicle

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

Totally agreed.  It only makes sense.  I am kind of hoping that this would get done soon, but I don't see it happening for some time. :)  I SUPPORT ALL THE WAY!
I am just a guy looking for good suggestions that are original, creative, and match the theme of Mine-craft.  I have some mob ideas that I need help forming which is a community project.

Locklear308

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Fredfredbug4 said:

This is useless. Everyone except little kids know how to install skins. Plus in single player why would you need a different look anyway? Nobody can see you except mobs and who plays the game in 3rd person?

Because you may want different looks, so, how about being able to make and save skins in game?  Be able to save as many as you want.
Posted Image
"The oceans of minecraft are vast and nearly endless... and we just have a floating little box to traverse across them..." - doctorseaweed2

kaheynu
    kaheynu

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

Prior to reading this suggestion, I had a thought on something similar and/or related; I search around, and found this topic. I'm not sure it entirely applies, but I figured that it would be best to post it here. This 'TailorCraft' idea is alright, but I think it's not far enough from what's in the game to be a powerful suggestion. However, I think (apologies in advance for noob-like stupidity) that if one were to combine the 'rabbit hat' feature already in Minecraft with a static class (in the form of, say, a three-dimensional hat perhaps of a pointy nature) there would be serious impetus to move forward with this idea...maybe?
TNT is good...more TNT is better.
Posted Image

FailedWizard

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:25 AM

Or, just have an in-game skin editor.
Taking trolling to a whole new level, one post at a time.