Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Spawn eggs as rare drop?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Redstonecrafter2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Title says it all.
It could be useful on Survival Servers for traps or you could this thingy here in survival to destroy Villages. :P:

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Peepnbrick
  • Minecraft: Peepnbrick

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I think adding in mob eggs would be beneficial to survival because its aways such a pain to push an animals to where you want them to be. If they were implemented as a rare drop they should be very rare. It they were as rare as tools or armor or ingots dropped, they may become too common and would ruin them.
Posted Image

Keldeo
    Keldeo

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2643 posts
  • Xbox:  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Mob eggs were intended purely for creative. Just let it stay as a crative-only item.
As for pushing animals, use seeds/wheat/carrot.
Also hostile mob eggs (particularly the creeper) could be used as griefing tools.

No support

Posted Image

-  Random fact: My signature once said "Rainbow Dash is best pony" but it was coded and no one understood it. -

finland25
  • Minecraft: finland25

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Just keep the mob eggs in Creative.
This has been suggested many times and theres always a large amount of people who don't want it and a small group who wants them.
If you want to have an animal farm,use wheat/seeds/carrots or whatever.

toastytoes108

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I think a better idea would be to include mob eggs in dungeon chests, or to have them drop from mob spawners.

TheAwesomeScratcher

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

this could be useful for survival as the new update makes singleplayer run as a local server , and so i sit near a chicken 5 MINUTES
and it STILL WAS NOT FOLLOWING ME  
, due to the new update , it has major bugs , or chickens can follow you only if you are holding seeds?

TehEPICD00D
  • Minecraft: Professor Max
  • Xbox:ComposingPath14

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Good. Lord. No.

This just sounds like a griefing tool.
Posted Image I love Deus Ex. Check out my RP!

tbh1138
    tbh1138

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 969 posts
  • Minecraft: tbh1138

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Spawn eggs are only usable once in survival, spawn one mob with it and the egg disappears. It's not an infinite "LOLOLOLOL OVAR 9000 CREEPARS IN UR HOUS XD" thing. I'd be OK with this.
Posted Image

MysteryMan7
    MysteryMan7

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostPeepnbrick, on 24 September 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

I think adding in mob eggs would be beneficial to survival because its aways such a pain to push an animals to where you want them to be. If they were implemented as a rare drop they should be very rare. It they were as rare as tools or armor or ingots dropped, they may become too common and would ruin them.
You do know if you carry wheat animals follow you :/ (Noone seems to know that)
Hello! Wanna play PC games with me? Add me on Steam! LittleBigPancake
Posted Image

urcaptchaisunreadable

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

People seem to be so worried about griefers they don't see the beneficial side to this. I may be a "forum newbie" here but the fact of the matter is, they would make excellent traps considering a spawn egg in a dispenser dispenses the mob not the item. As a super rare drop this would negate someone entering your base and dropping 4 stacks of 64 creeper eggs, because you'd have to kill countless creepers for 10 or so eggs. That seems like too much work for lulz to me, and from what i understand griefers are trolls. I've met three trolls in my life who'd put in the 200 hours of effort for 20 minutes of lulz, and i've seen a lot of trolls. Although i've never had a problem luring farm animals with wheat, carrots, or seeds. The only beneficial application i can see to spawn eggs as drops is, as stated, a trap in a dispenser. The work to get them would be too substantial to use them as mob-farm fodder, or as a griefing tool.
ERROR: CLOWN CAN NOT DIE
"I started trolling when i defeated the End Dragon because the end comentary was depressing" -Anon

CreATiveHippo
  • Minecraft: CreATive

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

There is no need for spawn eggs in survival.If you need to bring an animal from one place to another,just use your brain.
No support.
<- This is a crow wearing a suit and dancing on the music of Bo Diddley. Your arguments are invalid.

urcaptchaisunreadable

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostCreATiveHippo, on 21 November 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

There is no need for spawn eggs in survival.If you need to bring an animal from one place to another,just use your brain.
No support.

^^^---Read Above Post. Luring animals is easy. The spawn egg idea isn't for animals it's for aggressive mobs according to the OP.

Although the machine gun idea is nice, i don't think stacking villagers to create an artsy cannon would be a very practical use in survival though. I admit it is kinda cool, but take into consideration it's limited arc of fire, seeing as one cant rotate the cannon itself or adjust the trajectory easily. However, using the spawn eggs in a tripwire trap in a small, closed in area (not creepers mind you, too much uncontrolled destruction) isn't an entirely unfathomable thing. in fact if you're playing pvp and someone manages to find your well hidden base, you can lay a series of traps (non explosive ones) in a small, poorly lit area at the normal entrance using hidden redstone wiring . From stacks of arrows and fire charges, to the hostile mob eggs in question.

No it's not necessary. No it's not something people will rage-quit over if it's never implemented. But it isn't a terrible idea if certain standards are put in as fail safes (IE extremely rare drop rates as well as possibly making the stack number smaller as well as limiting the selection to standard mobs such as zombies, skeletons, spiders and whatnot to further deter abuse by griefers). It would stand to reason that there would have to be limitations to an item such as this in game, to prevent abuse and/or over-reliance on spawn eggs.

Taking the limitations into consideration anyone can see the possible uses here aside wandering around blindly trying to feed a pig wheat when it wants a carrot or a chicken who wants seeds and wishing you could use spawn eggs to make animals appear without actually finding out what works and what doesn't which is also a part of the game.
"I started trolling when i defeated the End Dragon because the end comentary was depressing" -Anon

Axelbrod

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Definitely no. Besides, why would the mob drop eggs in the first place. It doesn't make sense.
Posted Image Yoda is saying that he liked 1.4.6

Amsedmak
    Amsedmak

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

No matter which way you slice it; you are spawning a mob wherever you want to spawn it. Griefers would over abuse this just as they overabuse everything else. And it would make the game much too convenient.
Why do people have youtube Minecraft videos that claim to be current version but were uploaded months ago?

TehEPICD00D
  • Minecraft: Professor Max
  • Xbox:ComposingPath14

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

View Posturcaptchaisunreadable, on 21 November 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

People seem to be so worried about griefers they don't see the beneficial side to this. I may be a "forum newbie" here but the fact of the matter is, they would make excellent traps considering a spawn egg in a dispenser dispenses the mob not the item. As a super rare drop this would negate someone entering your base and dropping 4 stacks of 64 creeper eggs, because you'd have to kill countless creepers for 10 or so eggs. That seems like too much work for lulz to me, and from what i understand griefers are trolls. I've met three trolls in my life who'd put in the 200 hours of effort for 20 minutes of lulz, and i've seen a lot of trolls. Although i've never had a problem luring farm animals with wheat, carrots, or seeds. The only beneficial application i can see to spawn eggs as drops is, as stated, a trap in a dispenser. The work to get them would be too substantial to use them as mob-farm fodder, or as a griefing tool.

Why did you necro this thread if nobody still likes it?

I'm still going to remain true to my statement.
Posted Image I love Deus Ex. Check out my RP!

Cheerful_Toe
  • Minecraft: Cheerful_Toe
  • Xbox:Cheerful Bro

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Nothing beats spawning the Wither AND the Enderdragon, not to mention a bunch of squids in my friends house! I support! =P But they better be EXTREEEEEEMLY rare.
Humans. That's what you all are. You creatures make me sick.

Raffilcagon
  • Minecraft: Ya wanna no?
  • Xbox:You care about this?

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

No. Griefers& trolls would over abuse this, spawning aa many creepers in someone's house as they can. If you want a monster to spawn on an exact-block, go ahead and just wait for it there for hours. If you want easy farming, then just put the lure item in your hand, and lure them into their pen. It isn't that hard (With the exception of pigs)
No support.

Posted Image

My avatar- Madison Ravenblade, Queen of Gotha. Age 26, master of various weapons, greatest mage in her dimension, dimensional traveler, and has saved several dimensions from certain doom.

user_1259045

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

There's already so many rare drops, we don't need more.
(Carrots, Potatoes, Iron ingots, Iron swords, Iron shovels, Bows, Power I bows, all pieces of armor, etc.)

It would be nicer if they dropped from mining spawners.
Completed maps: Sunburn Islands, Nightmare Realm, Uncharted Territory III, Inferno Mines (pending)
Currently playing: Infernal Sky II, The Fire Beneath

Currently playing: Terraria, Spelunky

urcaptchaisunreadable

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

1.  Necroed because i still think it's a good idea with specific parameters built in (yeah right a bunch of spawn eggs? even i think being able to "easily" obtain them in mass quantities is retarded). But as stated, in small stacks, and extremely rare drop/or drop from actual spawners/in dungeon chests as was suggested before it's not a horrible idea. And at risk of redundancy, limiting the drops to basic mobs, skelly, zombie, spider, etc.

2. doesn't make sense? what does? punch tree get wood.  Mushroom cows. There's a huge list of "in game" things that are ridiculously unrealistic. whenever i see someone talking about realism in a game it makes me almost want to troll.

3. Again everyones so worried about them being used as griefing tools even though they would be limited in numbers, in types, and whatnot that it'd be supremely difficult to "collect" a stack of them let alone enough stacks to trololo someones house.

4. As stated previously the only really valuable reason i could think of for them isn't to "farm mobs". I've stressed this several times. Wanna farm hostile mobs? find a spawner. Wanna farm animals? lure and breed them. Simple as that.

The "reasons" people are against this idea are reasons i've given remedies for in my posts, or have explained how it wouldn't be a useful application of said item. I'm not trying to push my point on everyone right now as much as I am establishing my observation that some of the people against this don't have a very good argument to debate with.

Although Admittedly there are some valid arguments "against" this idea, there are also valid arguments "for" this idea. You shouldn't be so closed minded to an idea, especially if there's someone trying to cover all the bases.

Edit: I'm also noticing a trend of people getting mildly insulting towards people who suggest ideas they don't like. It doesn't seem like proper etiquette for debating to me to be even mildly insulting.

Teh Flubausterus
  • Minecraft: Flubausterus

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Support! Suggested this several times before but it never got very big :/
Horses Turning Like Boats <--- Save the Horses!