Latest News Article

Building a Castle

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

wakeupdormouse
  • Minecraft: wakeupdormouse
  • Xbox:wakeupdormouse

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi guys! So I recently started a new world and I want to focus on building it up in a medieval style, but I'm having a little difficulty finding inspiration for the castle. Most of the ones I find that people have made are so detailed, I would need to build it in creative mode, but I don't want to wait that long haha. Anyone have any ideas they could give me to get me started? Pictures would be a great plus too. Also, I don't have an XBLA yet, so I can't invite people to help me yet. Thanks in advance!!

Register or log in to remove.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I don't know about pictures, although might want to google castles if no one replies. That would bring up at least quite a variety of different kinds and in many different places.

And i know what you mean about creative, but on another note it will still be pretty difficult with what we do have now. In the next update we will get more blocks to work with as well that mode.

Although here is one person that has quite a bit of style with castles...

http://www.minecraft...age__hl__castle

Pretty interesting way to go about at least the limitations of this current version..:D

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

R41NBOWxD4SH

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

There is a youtube channel named madness64 that does castles, medival style, ect. Ect.

Him and jamziboyminecraft.

Check them out and good luck :D
M.C.P.E.FIM member
Me?....... Lesbian?......pony please

durns
    durns

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostR41NBOWxD4SH, on 24 September 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

There is a youtube channel named madness64 that does castles, medival style, ect. Ect.

Him and jamziboyminecraft.

Check them out and good luck Posted Image
yeah madnes64 built the city of kargeth.. or something. you might want to look him up! epic

perrinMD

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

When looking for a simple castle keep, I just searched youtube for minecraft castles.  Came up with tons.  I spent some time subscribing to people that had a similar style to what I wanted.  It might be worth some time on your part to look into that avenue.....
My uploaded minecraft pics:  http://www.facebook....terson.75457081

indecentwrecker

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

I use jamziboyminecraft youtube vidios a lot for ideas.  Go about watching some stuff on Youtube and then come up with an idea of your own.  My last world with a castle got curropted on xbox, so I am waiting on 1.8 before I restart.  But once in I try and make the whole town functional and medieval.

TheEvanCat
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

When I do Medieval style towns, I don't usually go for the whole wooden look. I draw much of my architectural influence from the Armenian highlands (the fatherland), so much of my stuff is stone and in the mountains:
Spoiler:

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.

wakeupdormouse

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

Thanks so much. I was trying to find castles on google but I wasn't sure how to translate them to minecraft, but I didn't even think to look on youtube. Thanks so much for all the inspiration. I'll post a bit of what I have once I get started.
I just need to work on something big that will pass the time until the new update comes, and who really knows when that will be.

View PostTamorr, on 24 September 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Although here is one person that has quite a bit of style with castles...

http://www.minecraft...age__hl__castle

Pretty interesting way to go about at least the limitations of this current version..Posted Image

This is totally awesome though! Looks like a lot of time and hard work for just one person

indecentwrecker

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostTheEvanCat, on 24 September 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

When I do Medieval style towns, I don't usually go for the whole wooden look. I draw much of my architectural influence from the Armenian highlands (the fatherland), so much of my stuff is stone and in the mountains:
Spoiler:
OH my, I think I am going to need to work on creating something simular to that third one down.  I absolutly love it and think it would make a grand church.  Ant with the stone stuff coming out I should be able to easily keep it interesting.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

View Postwakeupdormouse, on 25 September 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

Thanks so much. I was trying to find castles on google but I wasn't sure how to translate them to minecraft, but I didn't even think to look on youtube. Thanks so much for all the inspiration. I'll post a bit of what I have once I get started.
I just need to work on something big that will pass the time until the new update comes, and who really knows when that will be.

This is totally awesome though! Looks like a lot of time and hard work for just one person

Yeah it would be quite a bit to do, but that is kinda the style or at least similar that I myself want to try and do. I have even checked out those 2 people they have mentioned on youtube and I have to say they do a great job elaborating well and good reference to pointers and such as well. I hope one day to be at least half way decent, as my builds are not the best but not the worst either sooo...lol yeah...:D

My First World, always getting back to is a pleasure I enjoy with each new update that brings in more things to add in.

--Arcavia--

wakeupdormouse

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, my builds haven't ever been the best. On the pc the world was so big I mostly just explored caves and looked for cool places but never really focused on specific things to build. I would love to try something that elaborate but for now I'll just try and focus on building a simple medieval castle Posted Image

joshhaoex

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Posted Image
Not sure what type of castle you would like but these are some pictures of a castle I think when recreated would look very nice
Posted Image

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Now that is the style i wouldn't mind re-creating...><

All i can do is European Castle types at the moment, as those are the simpliest ones to make.

View Postwakeupdormouse, on 25 September 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yeah, my builds haven't ever been the best. On the pc the world was so big I mostly just explored caves and looked for cool places but never really focused on specific things to build. I would love to try something that elaborate but for now I'll just try and focus on building a simple medieval castle Posted Image
Yeah that is basically what i have been doing myself. Currently i actually started on the seed 10110101, and made much progress with having a castle on a mountain, very simplistic in design, but hopefully i'll get to stylizing it like some others have done with their work. I love to explore above and below the surface in those large pc worlds as well the ones in the xbox. But the map i mentioned above is my primary one i am basically making a kingdom, and eventually have the idea to make a couple more in other areas of the map.

And like the person above me mentioned there are several designs, that includes the Asian one he shown, and then the European ones the speckle between functional and decorational... Then there are the Egyptian/Arabian ones which are more like palaces than a castle but is pretty much the same purpose to some degree. Also some literature like Tolkein's books those fictional buildings as well. Lord of the rings movies...  Some things in those have some good eye candy for thought. :D

--Arcavia--

wakeupdormouse

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

I have been looking at some castles right now and I am thinking about doing something like this on top of a mountain
Posted Image

While looking for some ideas I did see the Asian style castles and I think that will be my next big build when the new update comes out. :3 I really wish Minecraft allowed you to dye or paint wood and other blocks though. Working with wool is dangerous some times haha

BrentsAccount
  • Minecraft: BrentsAccount

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

build a fable castle!

wakeupdormouse

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

I don't know which Fable you're talking about. I haven't played the games before and I don't remember if there are castles in the comic. Do you have any pictures you could post?

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

View Postwakeupdormouse, on 25 September 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

I have been looking at some castles right now and I am thinking about doing something like this on top of a mountain
Posted Image

While looking for some ideas I did see the Asian style castles and I think that will be my next big build when the new update comes out. :3 I really wish Minecraft allowed you to dye or paint wood and other blocks though. Working with wool is dangerous some times haha

Now that looks like a job N a half. That will take quite a bit of thought especially with the roofing, but a good challenge or nice one to attempt. And yeah i agree those Asian one's even though they can be done in this version i would rather have a bit more to work with like quite a few of the blocks that are coming in the next one.

I really aught to stay clear of my Labyrinth-like design i seem to build when making castle like structures. One these days i will end up making something like some old famous person for making a house in all the weird directions even sometimes ending in dead ends sometimes, but i  don't think i would quite go that far with the way i build castles. i usually work with the terrain to some degree. Makes for more inspiration that way.

Now only if i could say the same about my actual Labyrinths that i mines....>< I can't help putting stairs everywhere there... Anyway, there are some good basic design tips that can be learned from many of the you tube population albeit sometimes a lot of time spent watching makes the progress a bit more slower, however it is just nice to see how others build with a specific style in mind or with their own...:D

--Arcavia--

wakeupdormouse

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

Well I'm not going to completely emulate it, but the wall is so cool looking. My boyfriend might end up helping me do it if I con him into it somehow. He isn't a super Minecraft fan.
I end up digging labyrinths too. You just start going and you meet some lava so you just go another way etc.. I've been lost in my own digs before :-D
I've been watching a couple videos but most of them just explain how to do one thing, which is good for me when it comes to redstone because I'm awful at that.

Tamorr
    Tamorr

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2853 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

Yeah i know a bit of redstone, but am not an expect. Videos do help a whole lot... i guess railways are my strong suit with redstone as that is pretty simple to grasp.

Gotta love those lava pools, ran into a few that i had to umm... make into obsidian temporarily while i was making my rail system. bout the only thing in excavation that is pretty somewhat linear.

Also that is what i like about most those videos, as they seem to depending on the person at least, elaborate to the point of well that the most knowledgeable could get at least an idea of it. just wouldn't want to attempt something like a few round here, as that is too advanced for me even if i might be able to understand it. Building it is another thing...><

Well good luck and hopefully you build it the way you wanted...:D

--Arcavia--

indecentwrecker

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

View Postwakeupdormouse, on 25 September 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

Man that one looks great, pretty straight forward to, the roof would be stairs, and you could easily change it between wood and cobblestone stair.  The wall sections would be sweet to, defenatly something that could quickly become the center piece of a medieval town.  Could add a working redstone gate to the stair case.  Maybe even a moat around it.

I think the challange on that one would be to make sure the inside was set up decently.