Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Another use for the Nether Star - Shooting Star

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Calacbolg
  • Minecraft: Terashock

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

A fitting use for an item dropped by the destructive Wither - a special type of arrow called a Shooting Star.

By crafting a Feather, Blaze Rod, and Nether Star together, you'll receive a single Shooting Star. This is a special type of arrow that, when fired from a bow, will fly perfectly straight towards its target, unaffected by gravity, and explode on impact, with the strength of a charged creeper blast.

Unless using an Infinity Bow, the arrow will always be consumed, even if it didn't hit an enemy directly. When using an Infinity Bow, the arrow will retain its special effects and not be consumed. However, every use will use up 40 durability on the bow. Even with the Infinity enchantment, the arrow will be consumed if used and it causes the bow to break.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Tom Marvelo Riddle
  • Location: Chamber of Secrets, Hogwarts - School of Witchcraft and Wizardy
  • Minecraft: Swiftphantom

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hrm. Sounds too OP. Lower the explosion size to that of a normal creeper's, and reduce the amount of durability to 20, maybe?
That's Tom Marvelo Riddle. With the typo.

Calacbolg

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostTom Marvelo Riddle, on 19 September 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Hrm. Sounds too OP. Lower the explosion size to that of a normal creeper's, and reduce the amount of durability to 20, maybe?

I figured that since it was so difficult to get, and forcing you to get a new Infinity enchanted bow every 10 uses if you wanted it to not be consumed, would be enough to balance out the explosion size. If you killed a difficult boss and got a consumed item to show for it, you'd want that item to put on quite the show, right?
Posted Image

xPop422
    xPop422

Carpenter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Minecraft: Pop422

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

This Is Actually A Pretty Cool Idea! I Like It! :D
:D

burninpoop

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have to admit... this is freakin awesome! if you had normal arrows and the shooting star in your inventory, which does the Bow fire?
a solution to this problem is a shooting star doesn’t do anything on its own, but combining it with a bow would retain the enchants, fire the star arrow, and break after one use. when the star bow breaks, the star will likewise, be lost.
Don’t quote me. And Don’t quote me on not wanting to be quoted either.

Calacbolg

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postburninpoop, on 19 September 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have to admit... this is freakin awesome! if you had normal arrows and the shooting star in your inventory, which does the Bow fire?
a solution to this problem is a shooting star doesn’t do anything on its own, but combining it with a bow would retain the enchants, fire the star arrow, and break after one use. when the star bow breaks, the star will likewise, be lost.

I guess the arrow would be picked in the same way that Minecraft chooses which stack of arrows to take from when you fire a bow.
Just treat the Star as its own stack.

If it was random(I dunno if it is), change the selection to select the stack starting from the top left corner of your inventory.
Posted Image

Epicness1324

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

The infinity enchantment should have no affect on this. It would be insanely OP if it had 40 uses with a bow enchanted with infinity
Posted Image
I am ninja'd far too often.

burninpoop

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

he didn’t mean 40 uses, he meant it would have the effect of shooting 40 arrows.
it would only have like 10 uses
Don’t quote me. And Don’t quote me on not wanting to be quoted either.

Calacbolg

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostEpicness1324, on 19 September 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

The infinity enchantment should have no affect on this. It would be insanely OP if it had 40 uses with a bow enchanted with infinity

I said it takes off 40 durability, not that it has 40 durability.
You'd only get 10 uses of it, and you waste a bow with a relatively rare enchant.

Added a balancer on the end of the post.
Posted Image

scoobie
    scoobie

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

underpowered for general minecraft play
overpowered for pvp

it takes too long to obtain enough arrows.
and uses up too much durability.

but would one hit kill other players.
so it just wont work as a weapon.

it will always be both underpowered and overpowered
if the nether star is an ingredient.
Currently building a village within a building.

user_1259045

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

This is too UNDERPOWERED, actually.

How about a crafting with a single Nether Star gives 64 shooting stars?
(And maybe you could nerf down the blast a little bit)

And, the bow would have to have a special enchantment on it in order to ONLY fire shooting stars.
Regular bows will only fire regular arrows.
Completed maps: Sunburn Islands, Nightmare Realm, Uncharted Territory III, Inferno Mines (pending)
Currently playing: Infernal Sky II, The Fire Beneath

Currently playing: Terraria, Spelunky

Potato_Slayer

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Pretty cool idea, nether star would be one of the most beast items in the game since its used for the command block to.

Calacbolg

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I think people see "charged creeper blast" and instantly forget every other word of the topic and say OP! I swear, every time those words show up...
Personally, since the Nether Star comes from the Wither, I feel a WITHER blast would be more appropriate.

Also, why is it always about PvP? If it's so OP that you get one ranged explosion after spending a ton of time grinding dangerous Wither skeletons and then killing the dangerous Wither, then ban it from PvP servers.
Posted Image

Geartooth
    Geartooth

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Minecraft: Cogtooth
  • Xbox:sucks.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

A bit underpowered. Perhaps make it craft 4 arrows, rather than one.
You have 2 choices: +1 me with your computer,
or -1 me with your mind. One of them is less frustrating.

WhatsItToYa
  • Minecraft: ryand25

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

UP,
Make it craft 16 stars,
But only use 10 durability
And make take the damage down a little bit cause it will always hit your enemy if he is charging at you.

Calacbolg

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostWhatsItToYa, on 19 September 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

UP,
Make it craft 16 stars,
But only use 10 durability
And make take the damage down a little bit cause it will always hit your enemy if he is charging at you.

Possibly. The main components I see for this is that the arrow flies perfectly straight and that it explodes.
Posted Image

Deonyi
    Deonyi

Enderman Ender

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 9009 posts
  • Minecraft: Deonyi

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Maybe it has a durability bar and you can collect it after use.

It would have 50 uses however the explosion would be drastically smaller, more of a wither blast but smaller, after all this IS an arrow made from its soul.

Posted Image

Endershadow99

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

First you say it will not be consumed with an infinity bow and then you say it will get consumed even with an infinity bow? Both these things are in the end of the main post

Frog81
    Frog81

Enderdragon Slayer

• Members
  • 10469 posts
  • Minecraft: frog81
  • Xbox:Gorfeywog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

The durability thing doesn't balance it. Nerf explosion to regular creeper, and remove the homing. Think of it this way-Infinity alone would be... semibalanced, but what if it had  Infinity AND Unbreaking 3, from enchanted books.
Posted ImagePosted Image

JRPenza620
  • Minecraft: Jrpenza620
  • Xbox:JRPenza620

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

So, do you only get 1 per nether star? What if I DIDN'T have infinity. Do i have to kill like 20 wither's to enjoy it?

I love the idea though.
Posted Image