• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Ars Magica v5.52.014 (Updated August 2) (1.5.2)

open beta ars magica magical arts magic arts magic mod wizard spell spellcraft

• Please log in to reply
6732 replies to this topic

Mithion
    Mithion

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 939 posts
  • Minecraft: Mithion

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

A look into what Minecraft could become when you add a splash of magic!

Tofski and I have release a spinoff of capture the flag using Ars Magica!  The server is running 5.52.013, and details are available here.  Tof and I will be on as often as we can, and we hope to see you there!

I am making a successor to this mod.  Get in on the discussion here!  I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  It will fix many of the things I feel are lacking in AM.

1.5.2 Is Here!  Please review the changelog on the wiki to see what's new!

I have an IRC channel on espernet, #Mithion - feel free to drop in and chat about the mod.

Wiki (Please read before asking questions!  Thanks!): http://arsmagica.sho.../wiki/Main_Page

Excessively Asked Questions
Read this.  If you ask a question that is already answered here, I will ignore you.

Spoiler:

Patch Notes
Spoiler:

Contest - NEW INFORMATION, JUNE 19
Spoiler:

Getting Started
Spoiler:

Mod Packs
Spoiler:

Installation
Spoiler:

Spotlights:
Spoiler:

Alternate Language Spotlights:
Spoiler:

Reporting a Bug:
Spoiler:

Banners
Spoiler:

Special Thanks:
  • All of my beta testers - couldn't have done this without you guys!
  • ChickenBones, for letting my base my lightning code off of his
  • Misty3000 - For making some of my textures awesome!
  • Dan Scott (Murayama) - For making some of my other textures awesome!
Known Bugs:
  • This mod does not work with the weather mod.

Adf.ly Downloads:

Ars Magica

The download will take you to a Wuala explorer page.  It will contain the download link for Ars.  This is normal behaviour!

API Downloads

Ars Magica API 0.0.1b for 5.52.012

The API is still in a very early release.  Adding new spells is more or less fully functional, worldgen and power integration work has started but is not yet available.  The power system can be queried, but not expanded upon.

Old Versions:
Spoiler:

This mod has taken a considerable amount of my free time over the past 10 months.  If you enjoy it, consider donating.  If you'd rather not, that's okay!  I hope you enjoy the mod all the same.  If you'd like to be mentioned here, or request a specific feature be prioritized, please leave a note with your donation.

Posted Image

Donations Received (Thank you so much!) Posted Image

Sinistralis777

Maeldrath

dwbzuggy

Solusphere

Tonbo

==================================================================

Copyright Notice
Ars Magica is closed source.  What that means is that I am not going to upload the source code anywhere.  Also, I'd prefer if you didn't decompile the mod.  I put a lot of work into learning how to make this work, and I would prefer it wasn't ripped off.

Ars Magica is a trademark of Atlas Games, used with permission. Any spell names and other material adapted from the Ars Magica fantasy roleplaying game are used with permission. For more information, visit www.atlasgames.com. All other material is the sole and original creation of Mithion.
"Ars Magica" is a trademark of Atlas Games. "Mithion" is a trademark of Mithion.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

LetheOfBavaria

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Nice, a mod with huge potenial :)

The_Batman
  • Minecraft: DigitalBlawks

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

This is fantastic. Awesome work!
Posted Image

ODPBigMac
  • Minecraft: JasonMorgan112
  • Xbox:ODP Big Mac

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Sounds extremely cool and complocated(in a good way) keep up the good coding work and please open it up soon if you want more help and suggestions!

JD429
    JD429

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Minecraft: Jd429
  • Xbox:Jcommando429

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Very Nice, I hope that your work is successful!

Kovu
    Kovu

Memory Returned

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 5325 posts
  • Minecraft: Rainfur

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

One of the best mods I've seen in a while.
Good work!
Posted Image

Purechillos
    Purechillos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Minecraft: DopeyPear

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

Wow this is amazing, I think it'll be very successful Posted Image I'll definitely try it out sometime.

Keep it up Posted Image

Hi.

Rowan_ceeeper
  • Minecraft: Rowan_creeper

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

i cant find a download link
minecraft is COOL :>)

LetheOfBavaria

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well, Mr. Pixel. If you would read the topic, you would know, that this is an closed beta ;)

Jethro_Walker

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Nice! This is very similar to an idea that I had a while back. That being said, I'm glad you decided to create this since I would have never had the time to do so myself. I've really wanted a spell casting system that matched the complexity of other magic mods, such as Equivalent Exchange and ThaumCraft, and I believe this mod has the potential to do just that. Keep up the good work!

Steelflame
  • Minecraft: Steelflameblade

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I really hope you get it up.  It definatally looks much more fleshed out than most magic mods.

Warning : This user is prone to doing sporadic edits of recent comments to further expand upon old ideas. This is a very common thing especially right after posting.  Keep this in mind when talking to me over these forums.

I run a small magic focused private server.  If you are interested in joining us, click the banner below to find out more.

Posted Image

Mr_boness
    Mr_boness

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Minecraft: mr_boness

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Bookmarking this for sure.
It looks amazing, although it needs a few more projectiles, God it would be awesome if you could grab the ghast fireball, make it blue, then give it mana particles, then make it a spell.
And, don't make any explosions drop blocks for lags sake, such as the one where you fly and hit the ground, and that awesome fireball one, but this has potential to be better than thaumcraft, and PLEASE don't make it as complex as thaumcraft.
Other than that, it's amazing.
Need any textures or anything? Nothing you need done very quickly? I have a friend who does amazing shaded textures in about 5-10 minutes.
And also, may i help out with a closed beta? Of course i'm expecting a No, and yes, i do want to play the mod as much as everyone else, but i would be happy to test out for bugs, as if you allowed me to i would be playing it with LAN with my brother in survival, so we're bound to find out a few bugs.

I doubt you need a closed Beta tester, But i thought i might as well offer assistance, i have a lot of time on the holidays.
You should really check out the Runestones mod, it's amazing, and has my full support and attention. Who wouldn't want to shoot fireballs?

Brona Pretolus

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

This looks incredible. The particle effects, and the graphics in general, are beautiful. I especially like the lightning effect you're using for power transportation :) Can't wait for that open beta, good luck man!

Mithion
    Mithion

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostMr_boness, on 19 September 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Bookmarking this for sure.
It looks amazing, although it needs a few more projectiles, God it would be awesome if you could grab the ghast fireball, make it blue, then give it mana particles, then make it a spell.
And, don't make any explosions drop blocks for lags sake, such as the one where you fly and hit the ground, and that awesome fireball one, but this has potential to be better than thaumcraft, and PLEASE don't make it as complex as thaumcraft.
Other than that, it's amazing.
Need any textures or anything? Nothing you need done very quickly? I have a friend who does amazing shaded textures in about 5-10 minutes.
And also, may i help out with a closed beta? Of course i'm expecting a No, and yes, i do want to play the mod as much as everyone else, but i would be happy to test out for bugs, as if you allowed me to i would be playing it with LAN with my brother in survival, so we're bound to find out a few bugs.

I doubt you need a closed Beta tester, But i thought i might as well offer assistance, i have a lot of time on the holidays.

This is fantastic feedback - thank you!

I will add the ghast fireball as a blue projectile - *if*, you provide me with a name for the spell and what should happen when that projectile hits something :)

Spells that destroy terrain are limited in size, for one, and in the mod's config you can disable the block dropping if you find it too laggy.  So that shouldn't be a problem.

Posted Image

AdmiralPWN
  • Minecraft: Testifacate

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

I just read all of the mod features only to find out this is in closed beta.
Why must you hurt me so?
If Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.

Posted Image

Febilia
    Febilia

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Minecraft: febilia

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

This looks like it's gonna be absolutely... AWESOME.

My friend(who really likes magic stuff, we've been searching for a good SMP one) and I are really looking forward to playing this when it comes out! =)

I hate to be that person that asks, but... got an estimate for when the open beta starts? As in, are we talking days, weeks, months, etc.? It's okay if you don't have any idea yet, I'm just curious - and excited. xD

Rowan_ceeeper
  • Minecraft: Rowan_creeper

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

how long will it take untell it is downloadable it loooks so so COOL a lot of stuffPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
minecraft is COOL :>)

Mr_boness
    Mr_boness

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Minecraft: mr_boness

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostMithion, on 20 September 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

This is fantastic feedback - thank you!

I will add the ghast fireball as a blue projectile - *if*, you provide me with a name for the spell and what should happen when that projectile hits something Posted Image

Spells that destroy terrain are limited in size, for one, and in the mod's config you can disable the block dropping if you find it too laggy.  So that shouldn't be a problem.
Your welcome!
Alright, a name, Mana Scream? Or perhaps Mana-Infused fireball?
And thats great, but the reason why i asked to disable block dropping is because dirt gets in your inventory, and people will often go crazy on magic, blowing everything up as it comes.
Oh, and another idea of a spell, A sort of outer blast, using it will make it rain fireballs (Like the ones in the video) all around you, except from where you were when you casted the spell, that would most defenetly be a very fun spell xD
Anyway, glad you like my ideas! And may i have an answer about Closed Beta testing?
Just wondering.
Edit: I started a mod support forum thing on PMC to help get this some popularity to kick start it up. Hope you don't mind :3
If so, i can always take it down. Heres the link: http://www.planetmin...-sweet-effects/
You should really check out the Runestones mod, it's amazing, and has my full support and attention. Who wouldn't want to shoot fireballs?

Mithion
    Mithion

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostMr_boness, on 20 September 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Spoiler:

Alrighty, let me see what I can do with those spells.

Keep in mind though, that you are going to want a lot of junk blocks if you plan to use Raw Essence (the power system).  But I definitely see where you're coming from on the potential for lag.

I don't have a problem with the PMC post, though I'll be releasing a new banner for the mod (since it's no longer called SpellCraft).  When I do, if you could just switch the banner to the updated one, that would be perfect.  Other than that, no worries.

Posted Image

Kekay
    Kekay

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Minecraft: Crafterfr33

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Stunning. That's the kind of mod based on magic that I was looking for. Keep it up and you'll be even advanced than Thaumcraft. I don't like Thaumcraft anyway.. XD