7 replies to this topic

ammarb36
    ammarb36

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1453 posts
  • Minecraft: Ammarb

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Which is the best? Which should be mainstream? I have found PEX to be easier but group to be more versatile. Any comments?

Register or log in to remove.

loothed
    loothed

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Minecraft: loothed

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

IMO PEX, wow I actually had a reason to use all caps :/
If you want to make my day follow me on twitter @JackBulfin
Did I help you or do you think I am right? If so remember to click the green button! Posted Image

StealthBravo
    StealthBravo

The Grim Reaperator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3454 posts
  • Minecraft: StealthBravo

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

PEX is the best IMO. It's dependable and super easy to use. Yes, it has a few minor bugs, but they can all be fixed.

I've been using it since 1.7 I believe (I used GroupManager in 1.6 beta and in 1.2.5, and then I switched back to PEX after I got sick of GM)

PEX for the win.

ammarb36
    ammarb36

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1453 posts
  • Minecraft: Ammarb

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

View Postloothed, on 18 September 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

IMO PEX, wow I actually had a reason to use all caps :/

View PostStealthBravo, on 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

PEX is the best IMO. It's dependable and super easy to use. Yes, it has a few minor bugs, but they can all be fixed.

I've been using it since 1.7 I believe (I used GroupManager in 1.6 beta and in 1.2.5, and then I switched back to PEX after I got sick of GM)

PEX for the win.
The thing that annoys be about PEX, is you have to put ranked up users in the configs. E.G When you do /pex promote and reload the server, those ranks are lost. If your handing out member ranks like candy, this is a challenge. In group, /manuadd already writes it in the config for you.

bacon_avenger
  • Minecraft: bacon_avenger

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostAhb363636, on 18 September 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

The thing that annoys be about PEX, is you have to put ranked up users in the configs. E.G When you do /pex promote and reload the server, those ranks are lost. If your handing out member ranks like candy, this is a challenge. In group, /manuadd already writes it in the config for you.
Then I would have to say something is wrong with your setup as I've never seen nor had PEX fail in this way in production or testing. :)

Regardless, try them both, it's more a matter of personal preference.  I personally prefer PEX with modifyworld.  I've yet to find a permissions manager plugin combo like these two that offers as much power and control over the server and what players can and can't do.
I ride the bukkit on Linux with a PEX shooter at my side.  Please don't PM me for help, PM's don't help the community at large as it's not publicly viewable.  Use pastie or pastebin for files, I will not download files.  Click the up arrow if I helped. (I also do YT Vids)

Lord_Ralex
    Lord_Ralex

Typoing Absolmin

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 5806 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_Ralex

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

PEX really is more versatile and just better than GroupManager, but there is a long list of reasons to not use PEX from a dev's view:
https://docs.google....Op4s/edit?pli=1

PEX is better than GM imo, but I would use bPerms instead of both.

MCF Admin for Servers and Mapping and Modding

Posted Image

LegendDenier

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

IMO, group manager was much easier for me to learn and operate with, but PEX is pretty popular and people are always willing to teach others how to use it, I'd look at all three (PEX,GM, bPerms) and make your choice by what seems the easiest to you. There are always people willing to help no matter what you choose.
Posted Image

amazingpickle

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

GroupManager is what they call the "easier" plugin because it sets up the permissions for you, but I personally think that PermissionsEx is better because it's more efficient and they don't auto setup the permissions for you so you can configure it to your liking.

Minecraft Forum Rules

Make sure you read, follow, and respect these civilized, helpful, and organized rules for the Forums.  Learn It-Live It-Love It