Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

disappearing villagers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

aeroports
  • Minecraft: aeroports

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

I  found a village a couple of days ago, there were four or five villagers wandering about. I thought I'd build a few houses to give them a chance to breed but by the time I had finished the second, there was only one villager left.

Anyone got any tips on preserving village populations?

Register or log in to remove.

IronMagus

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Light up the village to minimize zombie spawns.  Fight them off when they spawn anyway (a siege can spawn in any light level, so you won't be completely safe by lightning it.  The only way to keep them completely safe is to stay far enough away that the world chunks aren't loaded and the village stays frozen in "suspended animation.")
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Pinkamena_314
  • Minecraft: Pinkamena_314

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

The three primary ways to lose villagers are zombie depredation, the idiots getting stuck in nearby caves (especially ones with nearly vertical entrances), and having them despawn due to server entity limits in SMP. Light up everywhere, be ready to fight zombie sieges, install doors or caps on cave entrances. The entity limit thing you can't really do anything about, if somebody else is breeding massive numbers of villagers it's just going to be a problem.
"Sometimes, I just wanna give up, say 'I'm done with this mess' and go to bed. But you know what; you can't shrug off your responsibilities. You got to pull yourself up and meet the challenges head on. That's the only way you're gonna get ahead in life."

Boundegar
    Boundegar

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4820 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostIronMagus, on 17 September 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

The only way to keep them completely safe is to stay far enough away that the world chunks aren't loaded and the village stays frozen in "suspended animation.")
You could stick a few - or all of them - in an airless cobblestone box.  They don't need to eat or breathe.

Nimbull
    Nimbull

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

You can improve the security of a village by fencing things in. If you really want to get good fencing then make each building have it's own fence line and setup a breeder house. One problem with the current release though is villagers are falling through blocks a lot lately. I've lost a good number of them from that problem.
Posted Image

Koshmeister

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

I had a similar problem and almost left it too late myself to protect the village that I'd been gifted right by my initial spawn. It had only 2 survivors when I set about doing something with it.
I think fencing the whole area in is a must, as is lighting it up (including inside the buildings) and repairing doors. In the early stages of population recovery I even built 2 Iron Golems (bit overkill I know) for protection. So now with the auto-generated Golems I have 4 of these behemoths roaming around.  I'd also recommend checking out ways to quickly boost the population (sealing a villager in a room full of doors seems to cause the other villagers to go child spawning mad).
Also as mentioned look out for cave entrances or holes in and around the village - they seem attracted to these dark places for some reason. This may account for 1 or 2 of your missing villagers, so worth having a hunt round.
If you do fence in - just be careful of slopes / changes of levels to ensure a Zombie can't drop down onto a fence and get in. Happened to me a couple of times (not to mention Villagers and Golems escaping.

Nimbull
    Nimbull

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

One other thing if you fence in each building with it's own fence line you could potentially contain zombie attacks. If they all spawn inside one fenced building area your other houses are safe. If they spawn outside the fencing completely all of them are safe. Putting two villagers to a house can still get you breeding conditions with proper building/fence placement. Just have to go around and manage your villagers then once in a while.
Posted Image

Mute
    Mute

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1392 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Check around to make sure there are no nearby holes for them to fall into. I had one hole near my village and it ended up having around 8 villagers stuck in it.

DevilOfEnderDragon

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostBoundegar, on 18 September 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

You could stick a few - or all of them - in an airless cobblestone box.  They don't need to eat or breathe.
Yeah,but what about their nose?

FlippyFan
  • Minecraft: WhyYouBeAskin?

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

View Postaeroports, on 17 September 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

I  found a village a couple of days ago, there were four or five villagers wandering about. I thought I'd build a few houses to give them a chance to breed but by the time I had finished the second, there was only one villager left.

Anyone got any tips on preserving village populations?

Stop letting me into the village :D

Well... This sucks.

aeroports
  • Minecraft: aeroports

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. My exploration kit for my next trip out will be: four stacks of fences, four of torches, 16 blocks of iron. four pumpkins and sundry tools and weapons. Plan will be to surround thee next village I come to with a fence, stick torches to all the buildings, make 4 iron golems and then work on lighting the whole area.