Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Has Minecraft become TOO easy?

poll

  • Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#401

EzzentialTime12
  • Minecraft: EzzentialTime12

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Maybe it has... Maybe it hasn't...

Register or log in to remove.

#402

Fire2box

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

I made 14+ hours of Fire potion in under 30 mins last night in a vanilla server. It's so easy to craft now that you can easily find slimes, farm nether wart and grind blaze mobs.

nether wart, magma cream (slime+ blaze powder), Redstone and you'll get 30 mins of lava/fire swimming time.



i ain't! scared of no nether!

#403

GlowstoneBro

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I've been thinking the same thing, each game of Minecraft I play seems to be the same. Stocking piles of food, creating a farm, building a house, etc. I know I shouldn't expect too much, but it does get quite dull.

While thinking about it today, I actually stumbled upon a mod that makes it a bit more 'hardcore' and survivalist, I'll get them to post on this thread.
Posted Image

#404

MadeBySix

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

I know you've said mods aren't the answer you're looking for, so feel free to completely disregard me here.

I personally am a big fan of games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R for the precise reason that they give you a sense of impending doom. An atmosphere of 'lots of things can kill me, and will if I give them half a chance'. I personally believe that Minecraft needs a survival mode that feels like that, only with everything that makes Minecraft fun. Like you said, I want a reason to fortify myself, I want a reason to build a settlement with an infrastructure. Anyway, that is basically what I had hoped Minecraft would be way back in the early days of survival. I was disappointed that I never got it. I wish mods didn't have to be the answer, but I personally don't see any reasonable alternatives.

We took it upon us to try to create that experience for ourselves, because we really want to see it. If you're interested, click the banner in our sig to check it out. We have a list of current features and planned features, and if you can think of anything we haven't thought of, feel free to suggest it.

Check out our Survivalist Mod! It's an overhaul of Vanilla survival. You know you want to.
Posted Image


#405

Mirgeaux
    Mirgeaux

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 638 posts
  • Location: In my Sky Palace watching society corrupt.
  • Minecraft: Mirgeaux

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostMadeBySix, on 02 February 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

I know you've said mods aren't the answer you're looking for, so feel free to completely disregard me here.

I personally am a big fan of games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R for the precise reason that they give you a sense of impending doom. An atmosphere of 'lots of things can kill me, and will if I give them half a chance'. I personally believe that Minecraft needs a survival mode that feels like that, only with everything that makes Minecraft fun. Like you said, I want a reason to fortify myself, I want a reason to build a settlement with an infrastructure. Anyway, that is basically what I had hoped Minecraft would be way back in the early days of survival. I was disappointed that I never got it. I wish mods didn't have to be the answer, but I personally don't see any reasonable alternatives.

We took it upon us to try to create that experience for ourselves, because we really want to see it. If you're interested, click the banner in our sig to check it out. We have a list of current features and planned features, and if you can think of anything we haven't thought of, feel free to suggest it.
I did say that but I appreciate what you are saying.
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2182756-][img]http://imgur.com/VnsEIk2[/img][/url]

#406

Exo000
    Exo000

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 533 posts
  • Location: In my minecraft safehouse
  • Minecraft: Exo000

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's a sandbox game,what do you expect? an RPG game? nahhh
the hunger and health bar is just a bonus,as well as the mobs,so don't even try to rant anymore since it's pretty lame and pointless.
Posted Image
Let's be friends...

#407

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Members
  • 4857 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostExo000, on 03 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

It's a sandbox game,what do you expect? an RPG game? nahhh
the hunger and health bar is just a bonus,as well as the mobs,so don't even try to rant anymore since it's pretty lame and pointless.

I expected difficulty. Just because it's a sandbox means it shouldn't have any respectable difficulty? No, not at all. "It's not an RPG" is not an answer to every argument, no matter how you look at it.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image


#408

Camper1995

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I completly agree with you. Even the "Hardmode" mode is a piece of cake. All you have to do is to be a little bit more careful.

We really need something like touhgher mobs, quicker starving, maybe air, so that if you're in a small closed hole, you will loose air.
More aspects that will make the game harder and therefore a bigger challange to survive.

#409

Mirgeaux
    Mirgeaux

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 638 posts
  • Location: In my Sky Palace watching society corrupt.
  • Minecraft: Mirgeaux

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostCamper1995, on 03 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

I completly agree with you. Even the "Hardmode" mode is a piece of cake. All you have to do is to be a little bit more careful.

We really need something like touhgher mobs, quicker starving, maybe air, so that if you're in a small closed hole, you will loose air.
More aspects that will make the game harder and therefore a bigger challange to survive.
Those are great ideas! However most players won't like them in just plain vanilla survival so a new gamemode should suffice for that. Like 'Realistic Mode' which could have: What you said, atmosphere thinning, thirst, HARMFUL food poisoning (cuz normal food poisoning is lame), and pitch black caves (cuz caves are so bright and easy to see in now days).
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2182756-][img]http://imgur.com/VnsEIk2[/img][/url]

#410

GamerGuy12z
  • Location: No idea.
  • Minecraft: GamerGuy12z

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

If Minecraft were to become more difficult, I would completely lose the will to keep playing. It's nice to find a game that's not constantly trying to kill you.

Posted Image


#411

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Members
  • 4857 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostGamerGuy12z, on 03 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

If Minecraft were to become more difficult, I would completely lose the will to keep playing. It's nice to find a game that's not constantly trying to kill you.

It appears that someone took your eyes...

...oh, yeah, and the changes would probably only apply to normal and hard. Easy is good as-is.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image


#412

Robert-Frans
  • Location: The Netherlands

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostGlowstoneBro, on 02 February 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

I've been thinking the same thing, each game of Minecraft I play seems to be the same. Stocking piles of food, creating a farm, building a house, etc. I know I shouldn't expect too much, but it does get quite dull.

While thinking about it today, I actually stumbled upon a mod that makes it a bit more 'hardcore' and survivalist, I'll get them to post on this thread.
Well, the essence of Minecraft is still building. That is quite obvisious the most in depth part of it. I know there are swords, potions and enchantments, which are also quite complex, but the main task in Minecraft is building everything you want. It leans heavenly on your creativity. You can build beautiful structures, complexe mechanics or very difficult dungeons. From enormous castles to real working CPU's, Minecraft is all about that. Even in Survival, which makes building just more a challenge. You have to gather the right materials and you have to watch your step if you are building on high towers or small bridges over ravines.

So yes, the survival aspect could be more difficult or in depth indeed. But since Minecraft is not supposed to be a game that only can played on a NASA computer, or a game so stuffed with thousand and one options and features that you don't know what to do anymore, there are choices to make. Mojang just can't make Minecraft the game that makes every other game unnecessary. The official website states: "Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, people built structures to protect against nocturnal monsters, but as the game grew players worked together to create wonderful, imaginative things."

Even if you only want to survive, you need your creativity and building skills to make Minecraft your game. If you don't want to build, or only quite the same farmes, rooms and mechanics, then you will get bored. If you don't want to make your own challenges after you build the bases to survive, then you will get bored. There are some features in Minecraft that could be improved: the terrain, the combat, the survival aspects, the AI of the mobs. But don't expect miracles. Minecraft is a sandbox game with a lot of depth and complexity, but mainly in building structures and mechanics. In making the world your world, with the freedom to build and destroy whatever you want. It needs your creativity to be interesting and inspiring all the time.

#413

GamerGuy12z
  • Location: No idea.
  • Minecraft: GamerGuy12z

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostKholdstare, on 03 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

It appears that someone took your eyes...

...oh, yeah, and the changes would probably only apply to normal and hard. Easy is good as-is.

That's good! I support this now!

And indeed, I'm currently in pursuit of the thief...

Posted Image


#414

MadeBySix

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostMirgeaux, on 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Those are great ideas! However most players won't like them in just plain vanilla survival so a new gamemode should suffice for that. Like 'Realistic Mode' which could have: What you said, atmosphere thinning, thirst, HARMFUL food poisoning (cuz normal food poisoning is lame), and pitch black caves (cuz caves are so bright and easy to see in now days).

We are already including harmful food poisoning and thirst. We aren't trying to create a mod that is obtrusive and adds so many things it's confusing. We are just trying to create a game that feels basically the same as Minecraft does now, but with more of a survival challenge. I highly recommend our current build, it already includes thirst and body temperature management, with body temperature having a significant effect on thirst reduction. It also disables regenerative healing when food bar is full, forcing the player to create bandages to heal themselves.

Check out our Survivalist Mod! It's an overhaul of Vanilla survival. You know you want to.
Posted Image


#415

Marko413
    Marko413

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostMirgeaux, on 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

... and pitch black caves (cuz caves are so bright and easy to see in now days).

Only because you have your Gamma turned up in the Video Options.  It wasn't that way by default, you have to move the slider up to make it seem that way.  You probably just forgot you did that since many of us did that a long time ago.  If you want a true vanilla experience, slide that setting back down and you get your challenge without any changes to the game or mods.

#416

Mirgeaux
    Mirgeaux

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 638 posts
  • Location: In my Sky Palace watching society corrupt.
  • Minecraft: Mirgeaux

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostMarko413, on 04 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:



Only because you have your Gamma turned up in the Video Options.  It wasn't that way by default, you have to move the slider up to make it seem that way.  You probably just forgot you did that since many of us did that a long time ago.  If you want a true vanilla experience, slide that setting back down and you get your challenge without any changes to the game or mods.
No, it is still bright even on all of my friends comps. And ive never touched the video options anyway.
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2182756-][img]http://imgur.com/VnsEIk2[/img][/url]

#417

epicdude2200

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

you dont understand. Playing minecraft is not about sitting in a hole all day long so nothing can touch you. Minecraft is about exploring, building, abd just having fun (sitting in a tree block hole isnt fun even if your a "winning"). if you want a challenge then build a epic house then defend it against endless waves with this mod http://www.skydaz.co...inecraft-1-4-7/

#418

pureflames
  • Location: minecraft forums

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

then try play hardcore mode when the 1.5 update comes out.

#419

Mirgeaux
    Mirgeaux

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 638 posts
  • Location: In my Sky Palace watching society corrupt.
  • Minecraft: Mirgeaux

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postepicdude2200, on 08 February 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

you dont understand. Playing minecraft is not about sitting in a hole all day long so nothing can touch you. Minecraft is about exploring, building, abd just having fun (sitting in a tree block hole isnt fun even if your a "winning"). if you want a challenge then build a epic house then defend it against endless waves with this mod http://www.skydaz.co...inecraft-1-4-7/
Did you even read the comments above you....the 'sit in a hole, pwn the game' thing was a joke! OK! And mods aren't the answer!  

View Postpureflames, on 08 February 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

then try play hardcore mode in the 1.5 update comes out.
Don't worry I will! I expect it to be much more difficult and fun. :]
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2182756-][img]http://imgur.com/VnsEIk2[/img][/url]

#420

aurora1979

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostMirgeaux, on 08 February 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

And mods aren't the answer!  


Why not? Out of interest.

We always see this remark when people are complaining about an aspect of the game. I could understand it with certain other types of game but with minecraft modding is a big part of it, and recognised as such by the developers of the game. It is not possible for Mojang to cater for every single person and give them what they want. That's what is so great about mods.

You can add or remove it as you choose. However, you want the core game, vanilla, to be "fixed" to your spec. What about the people that don't want what you propose then?

Do they get told to play on an easier level, even though they may want the challange that they, personally, get from whatever difficulty they are playing at.

Just mod up, get what you want and leave the rest of the game as is for the people that are happy with it as is.