Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Day/Night Sensor.


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

CyrusMcKee

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

I want to know if any of you have sucsesfully created a day/night sensor. meaning when it is day time the device would send of a redstone signal and same thing for night. the only thing i can think of would be to put a bud switch under a block that had a mushroom on it, so when it became daytime, the mushroom would pop up, create a block update, so on and so forth. but, that would only send a signal when it became daytime and not when it was getting dark again, plus you would have to replant the mushroom everyday.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

roy_g
    roy_g

    Diamond Miner

  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

use a clock.
Posted Image

#3

cmp81
    cmp81

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

Has something like this ever been done before? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new on  the forums and don't use multiplier very much. This would definitely be really cool though. Posted Image

#4

Genkipool

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

If some one could invent this I'll give you +1 rep.
"The struggle of survival is a war without end, and war – war never changes." -Ron Perlman in Fallout.

#5

Damien4004
    Damien4004

    Section 44 Moderator

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 1451 posts
  • Location: California

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

Here is a video of one on the PC version:

Of course, no guarantees it will work on the Xbox 360 version, at least not without some modifications.

#6

cmp81
    cmp81

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostGenkipool, on 10 September 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

If some one could invent this I'll give you +1 rep.
Sorry I'm new to the forums, does that mean something significant?

#7

FayzedNZ
    FayzedNZ

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Retired Staff
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

DewRadley Has done a day/night system. Also there are vids out there of day/night systems

edit: Heres his thread http://www.minecraft...aynight-sensor/
Posted Image

#8

Nose_Job_for_a_Cowboy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostFayzedNZ, on 10 September 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

DewRadley Has done a day/night system. Also there are vids out there of day/night systems

edit: Heres his thread http://www.minecraft...aynight-sensor/
Was about to post this. It's been done a few times on the Xbox version. But, so far, the one Dew uses is the best.

#9

paulhwly
    paulhwly

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

If u aren't subscribed to ethoslab and cnbminecraft u need to check out theirvids

#10

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

I recently started a topic on this very subject found here Ultra Sensitive Day/Night Sensor

I've spent hours researching Day/Night sensors and the best out there is the 12x by last_username (MClastusername on youtube) links to his tutorial in my topic. If you want a sensor that activates at the exact moment day or night begins every single time this is the one you should build. It's worth it just to see the BUD array he has in his design.

There are a number of tweaks you need to do to get it to work on xbox which I detail in my forum topic. Very easy stuff all it's just moving one redstone torch that fails to invert properly and placing 2 blocks of wood.

There is another excellent pistonless Day/night sensor out there Called the Mark VI. The creators name escapes me at the moment. We can't build that one until we can place upsidedown slabs unfortunatly.

Hope this helps If anyone goes for building the 12x and have problems let me know and I'll help you out.

Edit: Oops I see someone already posted my topic sorry for the double post and thaks for that as well :)
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.

#11

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Postpaulhwly, on 10 September 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

If u aren't subscribed to ethoslab and cnbminecraft u need to check out theirvids

Both are good channels. Etho discovered the day/night sensor but their designs are quite outdated at this point. Those sensors can often take as long as Noon/Midnight to activate. Very very slow. Still worth a look to understand the idea behind day/night sensors.
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.

#12

killenjoke

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

yes go with the 12x sensor with dew's mods. ive seen it work though my version broke when i had a catastrophic failure in the system due to unrelated events... these events will not be discussed.. and the video evidence was destroyed.....

#13

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

View Postkillenjoke, on 10 September 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

yes go with the 12x sensor with dew's mods. ive seen it work though my version broke when i had a catastrophic failure in the system due to unrelated events... these events will not be discussed.. and the video evidence was destroyed.....
Oh come on that sounds like a good story. lemmie guess creeper, griefer, misplaced Tnt?
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.

#14

TrueShots

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

I know some one who has a day and night sensor on Xbox. He showed me how it works and it was pretty compact and simple.

#15

CyrusMcKee

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostDewRadley, on 10 September 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

I recently started a topic on this very subject found here Ultra Sensitive Day/Night Sensor

I've spent hours researching Day/Night sensors and the best out there is the 12x by last_username (MClastusername on youtube) links to his tutorial in my topic. If you want a sensor that activates at the exact moment day or night begins every single time this is the one you should build. It's worth it just to see the BUD array he has in his design.

There are a number of tweaks you need to do to get it to work on xbox which I detail in my forum topic. Very easy stuff all it's just moving one redstone torch that fails to invert properly and placing 2 blocks of wood.

There is another excellent pistonless Day/night sensor out there Called the Mark VI. The creators name escapes me at the moment. We can't build that one until we can place upsidedown slabs unfortunatly.

Hope this helps If anyone goes for building the 12x and have problems let me know and I'll help you out.

Edit: Oops I see someone already posted my topic sorry for the double post and thaks for that as well Posted Image

Yea, Fazed linked me to your post, i just have one question for you, does the nano sensor work on the xbox version? i'm not trying to make the most accurate sensor there is, i just thought it would  be cool to have note blocks play a tune every time the sun dawned/set. (my main base is underground)

View Postkillenjoke, on 10 September 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

yes go with the 12x sensor with dew's mods. ive seen it work though my version broke when i had a catastrophic failure in the system due to unrelated events... these events will not be discussed.. and the video evidence was destroyed.....

lol, someone got creeped.
Posted Image

#16

Rocky5
    Rocky5

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location: Scotland
  • Minecraft: JCRocky5
  • Xbox:Connxtion

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostCyrusMcKee, on 10 September 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:



Yea, Fazed linked me to your post, i just have one question for you, does the nano sensor work on the xbox version? i'm not trying to make the most accurate sensor there is, i just thought it would  be cool to have note blocks play a tune every time the sun dawned/set. (my main base is underground)



lol, someone got creeped.

Yes & so does the Pico version, just replace the ice block with glass & place water in the space above the piston, also you don't need the top layer of dirt.

MCX360 Video Tutorials = http://tiny.cc/5a02iw/


#17

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostCyrusMcKee, on 10 September 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yea, Fazed linked me to your post, i just have one question for you, does the nano sensor work on the xbox version? i'm not trying to make the most accurate sensor there is, i just thought it would  be cool to have note blocks play a tune every time the sun dawned/set. (my main base is underground)

Oh yes the nano works just fine. I will say it is a lot slower but it does work. I would say it's the best single sensor unit out there aside from the pistonless models that we can't make until a future update.

you must keep in mind though the nano will sometimes fail to activate until almost noon on the day cycle and almost midnight on the night cycle. That is the issue with any single sensor unit.

With a single sensor you have 1 grass block that updates 1 BUDs this has taken up to 6 minutes in extreme cases.

With 12 grass blocks that update 12 BUDs it has taken about 6 seconds in the extreme cases

quite a big difference.
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.

#18

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostRocky5, on 10 September 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

Yes & so does the Pico version, just replace the ice block with glass & place water in the space above the piston, also you don't need the top layer of dirt.

you "could" remove the top layer of dirt and the machine would still function but this will greatly limit the number of grass source blocks that will be able to spred to your grass sensor block. This will increase the average time it will take for your already slow machine to update( with an average time of already 3 minutes you don't want to make that somewhere closer to 4 minutes). I recommend leaving the top layer of dirt on the machine.
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.

#19

Rocky5
    Rocky5

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location: Scotland
  • Minecraft: JCRocky5
  • Xbox:Connxtion

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostDewRadley, on 10 September 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:



you "could" remove the top layer of dirt and the machine would still function but this will greatly limit the number of grass source blocks that will be able to spred to your grass sensor block. This will increase the average time it will take for your already slow machine to update( with an average time of already 3 minutes you don't want to make that somewhere closer to 4 minutes). I recommend leaving the top layer of dirt on the machine.

If you add a block of dirt I front of the sensor it doesn't take that long to update :-) I spend over an hour waiting for grass to grow up on the top layer (it never did) so I just remove them & daisy chain 4 together & now I have a day/night sensor that activates in seconds :-)

MCX360 Video Tutorials = http://tiny.cc/5a02iw/


#20

DewRadley

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostRocky5, on 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

If you add a block of dirt I front of the sensor it doesn't take that long to update :-) I spend over an hour waiting for grass to grow up on the top layer (it never did) so I just remove them & daisy chain 4 together & now I have a day/night sensor that activates in seconds :-)

good idea daisy chaining 4 together I recommend that with the single sensor units. Keep in mind that takes up the same amount of space as putting in a 7x sensor.
I tried to sign my name here, but all I managed to do was ruin my computer screen.