• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

My thoughts about the golden carrot (in snapshot 12w34a)

golden carrot

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: golden carrot (62 member(s) have cast votes)

should Mojang remove golden carrot?

1. Yes (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

2. No(please explain below) (61 votes [98.39%])

Percentage of vote: 98.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rox
    Rox

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

View Postthecraww, on 11 September 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

There's never been a time in the game where I can't see, and I play with the "moody" light setting. I guess in caves you might catch a few more ores that you would have missed, but that's hardly powerful and can be substituted by, again, torches, like I always use in caves, or just paying attention.
Sounds like your monitor brightness is set too high. Go calibrate it.

Register or log in to remove.

Flenken
    Flenken

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

1 yes vote vs 29 no votes?  http://sadtrombone.com/ :P
Posted Image

thecraww
    thecraww

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1436 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostRox, on 11 September 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Sounds like your monitor brightness is set too high. Go calibrate it.

Naaaaah in fact I've heard that people who think Minecraft is supposed to be so dark are likely using office monitors that have a hard time distinguishing between a lot of darker shades. The game's seriously not supposed to be that dark as far as I know.

Evidence lies in several comparisons I've drawn between my game and others back when the lighting was more clearly tile-based. Meaning that my torches would extend light much further than others.

Most would conclude that in a tile-based lighting system (the torch is coded to brighten tiles out to a certain point with diminishing effect as distance increases), if your game isn't showing the light past a certain point where it is on my system, the game is being played on a less suitable display in your case.

"your" is general, of course. No idea what minecraft looks like to you personally.

James9270
  • Minecraft: James9270

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

View Postacidxxrain, on 09 September 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Carrots are high in vitamin A IRL. Vitamin A helps produce "Visual Purple" aka Rhodopsin which is for seeing in low light conditions IRL. So I guess the Mojang crew's logic was that adding gold to a carrot would amplify it's properties. Because everything is better when in Gold. Posted Image
This is exactly what I was going to say, but you made it understandable.
"Everything is Mime-owned. The end of that unknown." -Windows speech recognition.

Reaperofzz

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Golden carrots are a pretty cool idea! You always hear people saying that rabbits have strong eyes because they eat carrots and that eating carrots makes you see better but that is a myth anyways or a trick from your mother so you eat them which does make golden carrots in-game do have an association with night vision.
The only thing Mojang should change is how the golden carrot is made! They are supposed to be harder to make!
I cannot wait for 1.4 BTW! When is it going to be fully released? Posted Image  For your opinion!

asferot
    asferot

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1669 posts
  • Minecraft: asferot

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Finally a "night-eye potion" in minecraft. I was waiting for this for so long.

and OP... I pity you. for not knowing simple facts of life.
What do you see in the sky when you look up? What do you feel when looking at a starlit midsummer sky?

subzerostig

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

The thing is with carrots, is that they were actually an excuse by the british goverment during the second world war. They had just developed a new piece of kit, allowing pilots to see better but didn't want people knowing. They then said it was that their pilots ate a load of carrots that their eyesite was better.

Back to actual minecraft, I see no reason why to remove the golden carrot. Minecraft is a sandbox game meaning do whatever you like. No one is forcing you to use golden carrots so why should you? I personally think that adding in stuff like this gives minecraft a bit more depth. The same logic can be applied to bats: They have no use so should be removed. When I first joined minecraft in 1.2.5 I didn't like new features they were adding, but I've realised that change is good not bad. The developers are trying really really hard to please everyone. Some people they shouldn't please, such as OP, but in my opinion the whole carrot/golden carrot is an excellent idea

Dwarvenhero81

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

well it gives that useless pile of gold a use for once.
well besides being highly enchantable.
Are you planning to make suggestion? check the search bar first.

DemonCrusher36

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

"GOLD DOESNT HAVE ANY USE HUR DUR"

*mojang adds golden carrots, a second golden apple recipe, golden melon slices, etc*

"HUR DUR REMOVE GOLD USE DURRRRRR"

Posted Image

aquareaper33

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostReaperofzz, on 23 October 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Golden carrots are a pretty cool idea! You always hear people saying that rabbits have strong eyes because they eat carrots and that eating carrots makes you see better but that is a myth anyways or a trick from your mother so you eat them which does make golden carrots in-game do have an association with night vision.
The only thing Mojang should change is how the golden carrot is made! They are supposed to be harder to make!
I cannot wait for 1.4 BTW! When is it going to be fully released? Posted Image  For your opinion!
i knew i had seen this topic before, YOU resurrected it
Posted Image

ludo0777
    ludo0777

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 305 posts
  • Minecraft: ludo0777

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

View Postnotchfreak, on 09 September 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Read.The.4th.paragraph

lol you really don't understand...
Posted Image

View PostXirian, on 01 November 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

In all reality, you're that hobo on the street corner who needs money for hookers and blow, except you're doing it online.

Ttzara
    Ttzara

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2015 posts
  • Minecraft: Tzarah

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I think their purpose is to give gold more uses not just rails, golden apples etc... theres no obsesion but an intention to give gold more purposes... maybe not as any as iron but just more.

View PostDwarvenhero81, on 23 October 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

well it gives that useless pile of gold a use for once.
well besides being highly enchantable.

IMHO, for what it does its kinda consumes too much gold for what it does... maybe its me.

CurseNetworkBlows5332

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Don't make golden carrots. Bam. Done.

Epicness1324

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Why the hell does everyone whine about option features? Heck, I'd go as far as to use that particular achievement...
Posted Image
Posted Image
I am ninja'd far too often.

quadrupedal_pink_equine

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

It's fine, if a little easy to get. one gold ingot and a carrot (easy drop from zombies) = the main ingredient to brew
night vision = underwater vision, tons of other uses in any situation
invisibility = sure you have to be naked, but it's pretty overpowered nevertheless

those are possibly the best potions in the game, I think at the least the carrot should be bumped up to be made of gold ingots instead of nuggets.

weslandia2001

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I honestly love golden carrots as a brewing item - but as a food item? No. They use up an entire gold ingot for one carrot that gives only 3 shanks of hunger and, unlike golden apples, no potion affect. On the other hand, potions of invisibility a amazing for PvP servers. That is all, thanks!