Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Scratch

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Navineous

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Discuss Scratch here civilized please.
Yes, I know it is full of 12 year olds who think they can code. Atleast I've found some people who actually can code and not be lazy assholes to fix bugs. Oh, and I am aware that half the projects on the website are crap. I try to make good games. I think I succeed most of the time. Scratch can be powerful if you know what you are doing.
If I see you flame here, I will tell a mod and get it removed. Let's not make a flame war here.

My projects http://scratch.mit.edu/users/Navineous

If you want to do a collab with me, add me on skype, Navineous is my skype username.

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Successful troll is successful, then?

Yes, he was pretty successful. Mostly since this community is made of 12 year old kids who can't control themselves.

Lasci said:

Don't sleep naked on your period, girls.

Register or log in to remove.

riverchen
    riverchen

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2287 posts
  • Minecraft: Riverchen

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

Ok  revised comment. I dislike this, but it has some potential.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Made by AWOL42

SteGriff
    SteGriff

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2540 posts
  • Minecraft: SteGriff

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

Following the last topic, I sent out some PMs. This post is comprised of parts of them:

Scratch IS a programming language. Based on Smalltalk, Scratch code can be written as pure text and then interpreted, just like with Python or VB.

Scratch was designed by MIT students, some of the most talented upcoming programmers in the world, and derivatives of Scratch, such as Build Your Own Blocks are still used in many (good) colleges around the UK to give an introduction to programming to 16 year-olds.

Scratch also forces kids to learn much better programming practices, than -- say -- BBC BASIC did in the 80s, due to the nature of its control blocks. In my opinion, Scratch is the best introduction to programming that has ever been available.

Don't jump on the hate wagon because it's easy. Scratch is a fun toy for newb and the experienced alike. The fact that it's community is comprised of its target audience should not put you off. :)
~SteGriff
Minecrafting since July '09.

Thekingwaffle

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

I tried it once, it was missing alot of "blocks" that i could do in CPP andi  know nothing about CPP. it was confusing at best.
Broken down, a victim of your lies; you hide behind, lies; you don't know, why; you crosssed the line, wrapped up behind your lies...

Navineous

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

^ If it's missing some blocks I mostly make a variable that can substitute, probably not as well but it can suffice. IF that doesn't work I use BYOB (Build Your Own Block). Btw, thanks for defending it SteGriff!

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Yes, he was pretty successful. Mostly since this community is made of 12 year old kids who can't control themselves.

Lasci said:

SteGriff
    SteGriff

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2540 posts
  • Minecraft: SteGriff

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Heh.
I think when people hate on Scratch, it's comparable to 11-year-old kids thinking that they're too old to play games (the non-video sort). The only time they learn that it's still OK to play games is when they see the teenagers doing so.

Scratch may be a bit kiddy, and a bit of a bloated program, but it's a lot of fun for challenges and rapid prototypes.

Thekingwaffle said:

I tried it once, it was missing alot of "blocks" that i could do in CPP andi  know nothing about CPP. it was confusing at best.

It can be. The forced structure can take some getting used to, especially since there's no FOR loop in the vanilla version (There is in BYOB). You just have to think outside of programming idioms, and look at what those things actually do. Like Navineous said, you can declare variables to give you all the features you need.

Also, 'broadcast' is invaluable as a structuring tool. Protip.
~SteGriff
Minecrafting since July '09.

poke41
    poke41

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

SteGriff said:

it's comparable to 11-year-old kids thinking that they're too old to play games (the non-video sort).
Do you mean audio games?
If so, where can I find them?
Posted Image
If I deserve one, give me one.

Frost01
    Frost01

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Location: Aperture science labratories, the home of portal and all things portal-ish

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

poke41 said:

SteGriff said:

it's comparable to 11-year-old kids thinking that they're too old to play games (the non-video sort).
Do you mean audio games?
If so, where can I find them?

He means like hide-and-seek and stuff.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI
^The Portal Song!^

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b6Q_koTHB54
^Taste the cake song!^

The cake is NOT a lie!

Navineous

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Right now I am making a random colony generator, sorta like Dwarf Fortress. Will be fun :D

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Lasci said:

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

I've never seen anything good come out of it. Of the few games I did try they were comparable to someone who just learned Flash has a programming language and made a simple frame based choice game (similar to my first ever game).

Not saying it's a crap program, but it's certainly far too restrictive for what it is trying to be. GameMaker > Scratch.

If you want an introduction to programming, the best way to do it is to read tutorials on programming, not play with Scratch (and I'm shocked to hear that it's used as an introduction to programming!).

riverchen
    riverchen

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2287 posts
  • Minecraft: Riverchen

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

What zuriki said. (This is like the third time i said this in this week)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Made by AWOL42

Navineous

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Zuriki said:

I've never seen anything good come out of it. Of the few games I did try they were comparable to someone who just learned Flash has a programming language and made a simple frame based choice game (similar to my first ever game).

Not saying it's a crap program, but it's certainly far too restrictive for what it is trying to be. GameMaker > Scratch.

If you want an introduction to programming, the best way to do it is to read tutorials on programming, not play with Scratch (and I'm shocked to hear that it's used as an introduction to programming!).
I've used it and it made my learning of Python easier to comprehend. Gamemaker slightly confused me so I tried this first. atleast say one positive thing about it >_>

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Lasci said:

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

http://scratch.mit.e...sers/blaster395
Check out some of my projects,
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

poke41
    poke41

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm gonna try Scratch out.
Be here after I tested it.
EDIT: Htf do I use this thing?
EDIT2: Okay. I know now.
Posted Image

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Ok guys, I have a collaborative project we can work on, an arcade where you can earn tickets across multiple projects and then import the tickets into the main project where you can collect them and trade them in for prizes.

So this is what happens, you go to play, for example, a space invaders clone. You score 50 points and get 50 tickets. It then gives you a password like 46572130, you type that password into the main project and then the tickets get transfered to it. It is powered by a password system.

To start with we need someone here to make a uncrackable password system that can convert any number (up to 10,000) into a 8 to 10 digit number that can be used as a password, and then convert it back to the original number so that the main project can work out how many tickets were earned. This stops people from cheating as easily as otherwise possible.

List of stuff which needs making
MAIN PROJECT/GAME LOBBY (Blaster)
A FPS style game
A space shooter
A puzzle game of some kind
A platformer

Once all that is done we have enough to release this game collection.
:D

MrQuizzles
    MrQuizzles

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4568 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

The whole thing reminds me of Alice. Alice seems to be more powerful in what it can do, though it is a little bit more complex as well.

Navineous

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

^ But alice is 3D and pretty sure it won't let you make your own variables, oh and it doesn't have collision detection built in :/ But yes, I like Alice alot. Btw Blaster, I like the idea, I've made something with my friends exactly like that, problem is, NO PASSWORD is uncrackable. But I can help if you want. Add me on skype. It's Navineous.

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Lasci said:

poke41
    poke41

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Navineous said:

^ But alice is 3D and pretty sure it won't let you make your own variables, oh and it doesn't have collision detection built in :/ But yes, I like Alice alot. Btw Blaster, I like the idea, I've made something with my friends exactly like that, problem is, NO PASSWORD is uncrackable. But I can help if you want. Add me on skype. It's Navineous.
If the password changes itself, then it is uncrackable.
Posted Image

Yourself
    Yourself

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 4086 posts
  • Minecraft: Yourself

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

poke41 said:

Navineous said:

If the password changes itself, then it is uncrackable.

And how does that password distribute itself to the clients?  If the client knowns how to encrypt and decrypt information, then the person using the client can too because the code is running locally on their machine.  Anything running locally can be cracked, period.
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Navineous said:

I do not have skype
I do not have a mic
Or a webcam
And no, i cannot afford one.