• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

dominski
    dominski

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hey folks, got what appears to be a fairly common error within the Java world: but has yet to be experienced by the MineCraft community (did a search for it).

I am currently getting an error in which the offline MineCraft client will not load.  I download the executable and then double click it and it gives me an error stating: "Could not create the java virtual machine."  It does not halt at a black screen, it does not hold up: it simply goes straight to the error message.

I have tried to run the java console and logging, to which it gave me no information: as if JVM was not even seeing or hearing from this executable.  Others run this exe, even my exe, just fine.  No log files are generated upon the error message being generated.  I have tried running through command prompt, to see what is generated, but nothing is echo'd back or printed out there.  I have deleted all of my temp directories for minecraft, except that which houses my saved game files.

I have googled this to all hell, and the best recommendation is "reformat, try that".  I would rather not reformat my machine on a whim...

Is there anything anyone can think of to help me?  I have reinstalled java several times, verified it is the latest version, and the game runs fine when being run from the browser.

Register or log in to remove.

Imxset21

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

Try this:

Download and run the Minecraft.jar that's listed under "Linux" in the Download page. Exes are not exactly the most stable, but the .jar, being a Java executable file, should work in Windows since it's not built for one platform in particular.

Remember to run it with admin priviliges if it doesn't work the first time.

If that doesn't work, reply with your results here, and I'll try and narrow the problem down more.
Oh InputMismatchException, where art thou?

dominski
    dominski

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

Downloaded the Linux client, same error.  I did try to run as an administrator, it did not give me any different error message though (same one as mentioned previously).  I ran the minecraft.exe as an administrator, and it gave me an error as being unable to run the jarfile "C:\locationhere\Minecraft.exe"  The locationhere is just the folder where the minecraft.exe is located.

Not sure if that helps narrow things down.

Imxset21

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Quite honestly, it may be a registry error with Java.

Reformatting is usually the cure-all. However, you really want to make sure it's an issue with the registry rather than something else.

If you have the time and a blank CD, try running a Linux distribution like Ubuntu (DO NOT INSTALL, just run it from the CD) and seeing if the problem persists. If it works on the cd-boot-Linux, then that means that, unfortunately, it is a registry error, and you may then have to:

1) Backup all your files
2) Find a good registry fixer
3) If #2 fails, reformat your disk/reinstall Windows

I'm sorry I can't help you further, but even the people over at Sun don't know what really causes this error.
Oh InputMismatchException, where art thou?

dominski
    dominski

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well thanks for the effort and info Imxset21.  Unlike the other responses to this error on other boards, I've learned this is a registry issue with java.  I'll look around for a registry fixer, but worse comes to worse I'll be backing up files.

Appreciate the effort, thanks again.

Tikara
    Tikara

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

I hope you don't mind the revival of this thread, but I'm also having the same trouble as well. Every time i try and open the program, it gives me the same "Could not create Java Virtual Machine" error with no other information.

Now I know that reformatting and reinstalling the registry key has already been mentioned, but my computer is custom built and was sent to me from the lower 48 ((I live in Alaska)), so I don't have the XP installation disk. ((I'm also missing a few other programs, like microsoft works, which annoys me. This pC was basically optimized for playing TF2 and L4D, along with other PC games.)) I also don't feel completely safe reformatting my whole computer, since it's missing some components a normal XP system would have.

Is it possible to find a registry fix that won't require a full PC formatting? this is the only way I can really feel safe for my computer with the minimal chance of it exploding on me.

Thank you for reading~

hippocat
    hippocat

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

I'm getting the same error message, however I've noticed that client magically works for me after the game is updated. So, yesterday after Seecret Friday Update client started up, updated itself and was working fine. Today, it gives me this 'java virtual machine' error. Any ideas what the hell?
I have no problems playing Minecraft in browser (Opera 10.60), but I'd really prefer playing it with client, because performance is much better this way.

fabri405
    fabri405

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

I found the fix to this problem (I Think)

It is your Antivirus's firewall blocking the program. I recently installed BitDefender 2011 and I had Norton before. After I uninstalled Bitdefender it worked perfectly.

Hope it helps!

fabri405

99HaPpYmAn99

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

I also have Bit Defender 2011, is there any way to get it to work with Bit Defender. I had it working for a while but when I updated Bit Defender it stopped working again. Please help.

(I tried to create an exception in the firewall / using Bit Defenders "Game Mode" as I did before to get it working but it didn't do anything.)

Thanks =)
Posted Image

NightWarrior

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

sry to make a post but i have this same eror and it apperd after i updated Zonealarm one of my two seruitys (avast iis the 2nd) and i have to clue to fix this should i uninstall zonealarm? HELP!

please pm me!

Edited by NightWarrior, 25 November 2011 - 12:59 AM.