• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

10-Neon
    10-Neon

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

One of the more tedious parts of crafting, but especially inventory management, is dragging items, one at a time between the inventory, chests, and crafting areas. Click to pick it up, drag, click to put it down.

I've been playing Torchlight a lot in the last few months, and have gotten extremely attached to a mechanic that is used there.

This is how it works:
-Shift-click an item, it jumps over to the other screen.

Simple.

Now, in Torchlight, there are distinct "left" and "right" screens. All shops and extra-personal inventories are on the right side, while the player's inventory is on the left. Minecraft isn't organized like that, but it shouldn't be a problem.

In Minecraft it could be used to quickly pop items out of your quick-bar, into the inventory and vice versa.

When chests are open, it can be used to very quickly move items between your inventory and a chest. If you just returned to base with a huge load of stone and dirt, all you have to do is shift-click each block to store them in the chest. This would be much less time-consuming than drag-and-dropping them to each slot.

With crafting areas, the advantage isn't as extreme, but it would allow you to rapidly move items into the crafting area. All you'll have to do then is arrange the items into the correct slots.

It would also be a huge boon when crafting items whose materials can produce stacks larger than 64. A full stack of torch materials can produce 4 stacks of torches, but you have to pause multiple times during crafting to dump your stacks. With a shift-clicking system, you could hold shift, click as usual, but instead of forming a stack in your hand, the stack is formed directly in your inventory, moving over to the next available slot once a stack tops out.

Register or log in to remove.

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

This would be great. It would cut down on a lot of tedious clicking.

virulentRant

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Swingerzetta said:

Posted ImagePosted Image

NTedNinja64
  • Minecraft: NTedNinja64

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

Player menus are on the right side in Torchlight. Just saying.

but on topic FUND IT!
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

10-Neon
    10-Neon

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

NTedNinja64 said:

Player menus are on the right side in Torchlight. Just saying.

One day I will learn my directions. One day >_>

Fire
    Fire

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

I was going to post about this (THANKS SEARCH OPTION), but Bump For +1 Epicness

This is needed.
Cut down so much Point and Click adventure time
My Friends File hosting site.
www.filepak.com

nNa: I'm pretty sure it would be really annoying in the middle of the night when you are walking around your courtyard in the castle and an army of skeletons shoots arrows over the wall.

miggles
    miggles

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1105 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Swingerzetta said:

Janksy: If Doc Scratch has no biological means of reproduction, what would he fill a bucket with? Candy

Salbris
    Salbris

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Fire said:

This is needed.

I was thinking about posting this!

OP: Excellent idea!

I would suggest more ideas but I don't want the game to get too "convenient" next thing we will have is free teleports back to our base at death, and not losing our items. Don't forget when the game hits multiplayer that things such as how long it takes to loot a chest, player, or w/e would be a feature not an inconvenience.

woomobile

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

Salbris said:

Fire said:

This is needed.

I was thinking about posting this!

OP: Excellent idea!

I would suggest more ideas but I don't want the game to get too "convenient" next thing we will have is free teleports back to our base at death, and not losing our items. Don't forget when the game hits multiplayer that things such as how long it takes to loot a chest, player, or w/e would be a feature not an inconvenience.
I don't think changes making the interface easier to use will lead to things making the game easier.

Salbris
    Salbris

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

woomobile said:

I don't think changes making the interface easier to use will lead to things making the game easier.

Think about it, if you could pick up an entire chest worth of goods instantly it means that someone could just run through your base and steal an entire chest without much effort. Or maybe your exploring you find a chest and you just grab it all instantly and just run from monsters. It reduces the to be careful and thoughtful of grabbing items, imho you should be quite vulnerable when looting something.

JanFSC
    JanFSC

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I would also enjoy this.

yes it would be bad for someone to just run in and steal everything in your chest.

how about adding so you can lock the chests :D and make keys :D - this would also work for doors :D

Jstratter

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

JanFSC said:

I would also enjoy this.

yes it would be bad for someone to just run in and steal everything in your chest.

how about adding so you can lock the chests :D and make keys :D - this would also work for doors :D

Lol exactly. Keypads would be epic and spy-movie-ish

Menen
    Menen

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2543 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Swingerzetta said:

Kilgallon said:

MomizerRox said:

ZarroTsu said:

Creepa stole ma bike.  [SSSS]

Sooo... when's the next seecret Friday update topic going up? =[
On Friday.

Could you simplify that please?

I don't quite understand your logic.

Jstratter

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

This would be nice for storing all my stuff after a long mining trip...

Morgan Freeman

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Bump.
A 'craft all' button would work too. Im surprised this thread hasnt had more replies.

Jampp
    Jampp

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Swingerzetta said:

Posted Image

Hitoshirenu Shourai

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I support this idea.
Females exist on the internet! I am one of them. And no, I won't make you a sandwich.

Well okay, maybe later, but I don't fetch beers. You can get those yourself.

qlmmb2086

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Shift-Click to jump items from your inventory to the first available chest slot and back, and Shift-Click to craft the maximum number of items... this suggestion has my full support.
Ideas I support: Leaf Deterioration Fix, Erosion and Slime: HALF IMPLEMENTED, Shift-Click Shortcuts, Moon Phases, Item Auto-equip

JosefKald said:

Minecraft...where the men are men, there are no women, and the sheep are very, VERY scared.

sumguy720

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Maybe if you place a pattern of blocks in the crafting table, Shift clicking on a stack will evenly distribute the stack over the placed blocks on the table.
+1

BloodyRain2k
  • Location: times I broke MineOS: often enough to stop counting now oô
  • Xbox:sucks

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Bump cause DO WANT :D
Posted Image

View PostEloraam, on 28 August 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

Logs or it didn't happen.