Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

My 2 month build

awesome epic huge tower castle build bridge gigantic big

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

underworldtricks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hey, this is my first post here, but I'm not new to minecraft at all.  I played alpha and beta, but quit for a long time and only bought the game again last July.  This is the fruit of my two months' labor and honestly I'm proud of it, but it's not finished.  I want bigger and better, but I don't play creative.  I don't know why, but that isn't fun to me.  Everything you see is individually mined and placed.  It isn't the most impressive thing you'll ever see, but you know!

This thing is built on the top of a mountain.  I literally moved two peaks and filled in a valley between them to make a large enough flat space for my build.  The reason for this was because I had originally planned to have the main structure perched on a cliff.  I realized there was no way the cliff I had made would be wide enough, so plans changed and I built everything rotated 180°.

I wish I had used more variety, because there is a lot of cobblestone.  I have two double chests full of stone brick and stone that I was saving for I don't know what, but I should have used them at some point.  I suppose I'll get around to it, but here are the shots.

Front

Posted Image

Side, the cliff I dug (I guess I dug a cliff...)
Posted Image

Back, should have been facing the cliff (natural floating island in the background)
Posted Image

Living room, the big window in the shot above (apparently it's dark enough for hostiles, so I'm going to need that fixed)
Posted Image

Posted Image

My chambers
Posted Image

Posted Image

Library above the bedroom
Posted Image

Smithy and mine
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's this
Posted Image

The building with the unfinished roof, if that's a good description
Posted Image

Posted Image

A tower and tavern full of snow golems
Posted Image

Just a shot of my domain, natural lava fall.  I'm sort of in the extreme hills surrounded by ocean, desert, and taiga.  Best location IMO.
Posted Image

Future plans include finishing roofs, doing something to the main structure roof, some sort of ridiculously massive structure somewhere (I'm very specific, right?), a powered rail system for the mine, docks, and terracing the back part of the mountain to build a town.

Let me know what you think about everything and leave suggestions, thanks!

Register or log in to remove.

miguelcaldeira

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Awesome construction.. Looking forward to see what will come next.. :)

craftingnomad
  • Minecraft: robonomad
  • Xbox:nomaD1172

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

The best part of it is you mined everything, so it was more of a challenge.  Amazing structure, hope to see more soon. Posted Image
Posted Image

doctordiamonds

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Sweet! I'd like to build something like this but can't seem to keep my mind on it...
                                                                  I feel like I should have something here. Hello.

Chickenman216

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

You should rebuild the cliff to make it look nice.

Other than that, it looks pretty good so far.
Neutrality Forever.

underworldtricks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

haha what would you suggest for making it look nice?  I can't think of much to do with a cliff.

Thanks for the comments.

THOK12
    THOK12

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Minecraft: thok13

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

OMG! Put this on a server :D
If you don't have a server, I would be happy to offer you a world on mine!

underworldtricks

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

How do you do that?  Haha I don't have a server and honestly I know absolutely nothing about them.

Purechillos
    Purechillos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • Minecraft: DopeyPear

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Very nice man, it's awesome that you did this all legit :D

Hi.

EEnderdude
  • Minecraft: Aoghdanpotter

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

awesome just awesome
I am ponyloverbrony :D

chipz_
    chipz_

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Minecraft: chipz_21

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

It is awesome, but the outside has a LOT of cobblestone. A mixture of cobble and smoothstone might look nicer.

I'm quoting myself! :)

IostsouIateyourcookies

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'm not as impressed as I hoped it to be. The overall structure is huge, but not convincing because it lacks accentuation for it's shape. You could use a lot more different types of stone related blocks instead of just cobblestone. Combining it with logs which are easy to gather should give it a lot more sense of structure. The towers are impressive in size, but don't show that they are huge since they have nothing that helps to estimate it's hight. You picked a very usefull location nontheless.

I can see you made everything with survival which you deserve honest credit for, but sadly it was made to function and not for the looks. I think that me, who is way too used to rating creative-mode works isn't very suited for judging what you made, but I suggest that you try to look at the forums and on other sites frequently to make an estimation what on what you want and what you need.

I hope I was of some help despite being relatively harsh.

Chickenman216

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postunderworldtricks, on 06 September 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

haha what would you suggest for making it look nice?  I can't think of much to do with a cliff.

Thanks for the comments.
It looks unnatural, (to me at least) so rebuilding it alone would make it look nice.
Neutrality Forever.

underworldtricks

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostIostsouIateyourcookies, on 07 September 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I'm not as impressed as I hoped it to be. The overall structure is huge, but not convincing because it lacks accentuation for it's shape. You could use a lot more different types of stone related blocks instead of just cobblestone. Combining it with logs which are easy to gather should give it a lot more sense of structure. The towers are impressive in size, but don't show that they are huge since they have nothing that helps to estimate it's hight. You picked a very usefull location nontheless.

I can see you made everything with survival which you deserve honest credit for, but sadly it was made to function and not for the looks. I think that me, who is way too used to rating creative-mode works isn't very suited for judging what you made, but I suggest that you try to look at the forums and on other sites frequently to make an estimation what on what you want and what you need.

I hope I was of some help despite being relatively harsh.

Absolutely helpful, don't worry about it.  Thanks!

I don't know how I feel about using logs, but I have plenty of stone and stone brick that I could put to use.  I really did intend from the beginning to use more diverse materials, but I was always saving the more difficult to obtain blocks and never got around to using them.  Rebuilding a few things will be my next move.

The only thing solely built for function is the wall, but this is only my second big project, so I'll just chalk that up to not quite having found my style yet.  I've looked at a lot of other projects, but I agree, I should look with the intention of aesthetics rather than only size.

View PostChickenman216, on 07 September 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

It looks unnatural, (to me at least) so rebuilding it alone would make it look nice.

I agree, it looks ridiculous, I might do something with it, but I won't be replacing it.

underworldtricks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

View Postscreaming_soup_bowl, on 07 September 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

It is awesome, but the outside has a LOT of cobblestone. A mixture of cobble and smoothstone might look nicer.

I wish I would have had the foresight for that.  I'm considering rebuilding a bit or just starting fresh somewhere else.

cecilexplodes
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah the cobblestone hurts my eyes.

underworldtricks

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Can I get some more comments?

Oliverthepen
  • Minecraft: Oliverthepen

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Wow, this is amazing, considering you did it all in survival! I am impressed with how you mined everything there, and all the little details you put in that I would never have been able to do. A download would be great, so I can explore this castle for myself.
Posted Image

[WIP] Quite: An Epic RPG Adventure [WIP]

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain

SPASTIC
    SPASTIC

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Location: Out of this world in a land of wonderful people and culture, where there is no such thing as sexism,ageism and racism, LOL im joking... its Poland :D
  • Minecraft: MuffinLiberal

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

How did you get the redstone lamps to glow while in mid air ? are you sure this is legit?

EDIT: dont worry, Im such a dumbass, didn't see the redstone torches, sorry for doubting your skills :) forgive me please ? Posted Image
Posted Image

Mathwizsnippet

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Um there torches on the wall behind and the current can still reach the glowstone map
Posted Image