Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

POPULAR

Project Zulu

This mod aims to create a better overworld by adding unique mobs, blocks, strucutres, and mechanics to each biome. As time goes on Ill be adding more to each Biome.

Everything in this mod can be disabled from the config. Mobs, Blocks, Items, Structures. Blocks and items are disabled by setting the ID to 0. Other objects are disable by setting boolean canSpawn flag to false for appropriate object.

Any question asked that is answered in the FAQ will be ignored. Post any bugs/problems/questions in this thread so that everyone can see and benefit (please do not PM me).  If youre reporting a bug, please include paste your ForgeModLoader-0.log -or- ForgeModLoader-client-0.log to pastebin and include a link with your post.

Also, feel free to just post your overall impressions and suggestions.

I love suggestions. The goal/scope of this mod is rather large and as such some things are put off for longer than some people will like. If you have a preference to the order I'm adding content or an idea you think I should implement please post it. Fair Warning, I can only guarantee I'll hear you, not that Ill listen Posted Image .

Wiki:Project Zulu Wiki
Blog: Project Zulu Official Website
Source: Now on Github. Contributions Welcome.

F.A.Q
Spoiler:

Other Mods By Me:
Buff Bar Mod Description
Armor Bar Mod Description
Snow Mod Description
JustAnotherSpawnerDescription

Download any Version

Video
Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:

Mod Breakdown. For information visit the Project Zulu Wiki

Download and Installation Instructions
Spoiler:

Acknowledgment
Spoiler:

Posted Image

Posted Image

[MCF] Project Zulu - [MCF] Just Another Spawner - [MCF] Mob Spawning Observation and Tests

Discussion - Troubleshooting - EsperNet-IRC #minecraftspawning

Register or log in to remove.

adamdude23

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

I like the worm. Its splendid.
Posted Image

MR_MEOLA
    MR_MEOLA

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Minecraft: MEOLA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

This mod looks fantastic! I plan to do a mod spotlight on this soon :)

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

View Postadamdude23, on 06 September 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

I like the worm. Its splendid.

Thank you, I was particularly happy with how that turned out.

View PostMR_MEOLA, on 06 September 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

This mod looks fantastic! I plan to do a mod spotlight on this soon Posted Image

Look Forward to seeing it.

Posted Image

[MCF] Project Zulu - [MCF] Just Another Spawner - [MCF] Mob Spawning Observation and Tests

Amun_Ra
    Amun_Ra

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Minecraft: xdroyer

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Looks awesome will try it now!

Peace & Love

What's up with all the hate everyday?

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

Released v0.2.4 contains Vultures and some bug fixes/tweaks
ChangeLog:
-Added Armadillo Takecover
-Fixed Sandworm and Lizard spawning in larger than intended groups
-Fixed Lizard and Sandworm sounds
-Added Sandworm sand sound when 'walking'
-Added Vultures a new mob
-Increased palm tree sapling drop rate from leaves

Posted Image

Kovu
    Kovu

Memory Returned

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 5325 posts
  • Minecraft: Rainfur

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Nice!

I assume this is your first mod, and if it was, it's the best first mod I've seen in a while! Keep expanding and adding ideas onto it.
Posted Image

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

Thank you and I plan to

Posted Image

Glaceer
    Glaceer

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Minecraft: Glaceer

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Looks awesome! I think the palm tree texture is a little bland though.
Posted Image

NerdZander
  • Minecraft: smilezander

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Can I do a Mod Spotlight of this mod?

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostGlaceer, on 08 September 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Looks awesome! I think the palm tree texture is a little bland though.

I have several issues with the palm tree texture. Its on my list of things to do.

View PostNerdZander, on 08 September 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Can I do a Mod Spotlight of this mod?

Sure.

Posted Image

NerdZander
  • Minecraft: smilezander

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Heres the Mod Spotlight!

Nice mod! :D

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

Included video in OP. As an fyi, you could't summon the pharoah because your torch pattern was wrong (from what i could see at that angle).
It looked like you had
TTT
T T
TJT
TTT
T
T

where you needed
TTT
TJT
TTT
T
T

Posted Image

Wreckage
    Wreckage

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1332 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

When updating, do I need to delete the config?
My only limitation is my lack of imagination.  I can't code but I can build Adventure Maps. :)
Compilation Map  Adventure Map  Four Towers Full Edition and Jump and Ladders plus  Halls of Thorn.

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Good question. I'm honestly not sure. You wouldn't yet, as I've only added a new entity (thus no ID). I don't know how forge would handle that. I don't think so, as each variable line for the config is an individual getorset so it should add new lines for additional blocks/items as I add them.

Posted Image

MohawkyMagoo

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

Did your mod.  A few comments:

Firstly - installation - a breeze - so simple and worked first time (cant tell you the trouble i've had with some mods recently)

The mod itself - great idea and mostly nicely implemented. I deliberately didnt read any spoilers before playing, so no expectations beforehand.

Loved the vultures and lizards. Things that actually fly! So fed up with birds that are ground hoppers. Heres an idea for the vultures - is there a way they could be attracted to the player (circling overhead) dependent upon how low his health or food bar is? Say one vulture begins circling for every two health or apples lost? Then on the last apple they attack! This way players would know to fear them as their hunger increases.

Had a problem with the armadillos - they didnt behave as I expected them to, a straight off attack from the get go? Not being a predator in the real world, it seemed wrong. Might be better if they only attacked on contact or if attacked? At the moment I think there are too many aggressive day mobs - at one point I was being attacked by two lizards, three armadillos, two vultures. Downgrading the armnadilo in this way would fix this I think but if you do, i'd also be then tempted to give them a knock-back on their attack hits, just like skeleton archers.

Weird problem with the sandworms - at first all I saw were three or four connected blocks textured same as sand moving about ABOVE the surface - looked very odd (are they supposed to be below ground surface at this stage?) When it attacked it turned into the worm texture which looked great and worked really well, and i realised whet they were  :  )  I think this needs some work. I read afterwards that you wanted the worm to blend into its environment before contact - great idea, but at the moment it just looks a little weird. How about some surface texture movement of some kind to indicate where the worm is, rather than the full model on surface? Kinda reminds me of Dune. I was half expecting a giant version to turn up.

Palm Tree - nice idea - oasis needs a bit of work - how about adding edible fish. The tree - as you say, needs texture work. How about edible dates on the tree?

Found it almost impossible to get the Pharoah working/summoned - its too complex I think. Why does the player summon the Pharoah? Could he just be encountered in some way? Maybe spawned from an artifact or tomb? How about a small pyramid - even better if he was a Pharoah mummy lord  :  )

Could you make the mummy a night monster? Not just linked to the Pharoah? I've always wanted mummies in minecraft  :  ) How about a small tomb structure like the palm oasis, mostly underground where the mummies could spawn from sarcophagai?

I enjoyed playing this, it livens up deserts a lot and i'm keeping the mod in our games. Will be very interested to see how it develops and where you take things. Would love to see your take on the other biomes - i've wanted biome specific monster generation in MC since I first started playing.

Excellent for a first mod!

MohawkyMagoo

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Ahh,  and after suggesting all that I open your spoiler and find  :

Desert
-Add Pyramid Wonder
-Add Tombs
-Add Sarcophagus (chest with chance of spawning Mummy)
-Upgrade Vulture model with additional pieces in the wings/claws so that they flap/clench more realistically
-Add More Grass/Vegetation to Oasis
-Revisit Palm Tree Log Texture

Taiga or Plains Biome

Which is all just GREAT  Posted Image   - Put the pharoah mummy lord in the Pyramid Wonder :  )   Heres a thought - could you use the standard MC desert temple pyramid? but recrafted?  My players have gotten so used to these - find one, dig down, disable pressure plate, walk away with loot. It would be really nice if they found one, dug down, disabled pressure plate and instigated some form of pharoah attack with spawning mummies in a lower level they didnt expect  Posted Image

On known issues:  -Sandworm hitbox is Aligned to Front Half. Since the mob will auto-face you it's not a huge issue, unless you try to attack it from behind.  -  We play 4 player LAN multiplayer - so now understand why the worms were so hard to kill - only the player in front was doing any damage?

By the way - love the scale and cactus armour, and the cocunuts, which I missed entirely in play, hence the dates suggestion.

Crudedragos
    Crudedragos

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1180 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

View PostMohawkyMagoo, on 09 September 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

Loved the vultures and lizards. Things that actually fly! So fed up with birds that are ground hoppers. Heres an idea for the vultures - is there a way they could be attracted to the player (circling overhead) dependent upon how low his health/food bar is? Say one vulture begins circling for every two apples lost? Then on the last apple they attack!

I was going to make them attack dependent on the number of vultures nearby/cicrcling as well as the player health. I doubt I could make it so that only a finite number of them circle him. The way I envision it is that as the player walks around vultures will gather above his head, the lower his health the more likely they'll decide to attack, but if even of them gather they'll attack irrelevantly. The side issue is it might not be fun if 20 vultures swoop down on the player all of a sudden. Also group AI pathing would be weird.

Had a problem with the armadillos - they didnt behave as I expected them to, a straight off attack from the get go? Not being a predator in the real world, it seemed wrong. Might be better if they only attacked on contact or if attacked? At the moment I think there are too many aggressive day mobs - at one point I was being attacked by two lizards, three armadillos, two vultures. Downgrading the armnadilo in this way would fix this I think.

I was concerned about this. What I'd like to do is make them attack eachother. Or atleast some kind of pecking order. Like Vultures prefer Lizards over player over armadillo. This would avoid the problem of fighting everything in the desert at once, but not having a bunch of stuff waiting for you to just kill it.

Weird problem with the sandworms - at first all I saw were three or four connected blocks textured same as sand moving about ABOVE the surface - looked very odd (are they supposed to be below ground surface at this stage?) When it attacked it turned into the worm texture which looked great and worked really well  :  )  I think this needs some work. I read afterwards that you wanted the worm to blend into its environment before contact - great idea, but at the moment it just looks a little weird. How about some surface texture movement of some kind to indicate where the worm is, rather than the full model on surface? Kinda reminds me of Dune. I was half expecting a giant version to turn up.
The Sandworm has two textures, a essentially sand texture which is very obvious from the side once you know what your looking for. The Sandworm is like any other creature it sits on the ground. What you probably saw was the back half of sandworm encased into a wall. The problem is that the collision box around the sandworm is only aligned to the front half. So the back half can't collide and sticks into walls. I'm looking into a fix.

Palm Tree - nice idea - oasis needs a bit of work - how about adding edible fish. The tree - as you say, needs texture work. How about edible dates on the tree?
In the short term, I'm gonna put grass there and probably some aloe vera. Maybe a flower.

Found it almost impossible to get the Pharoah working/summoned - its too complex I think. Why does the player summon the Pharoah? Could he just be encountered in some way? Maybe spawned from an artifact or tomb? How about a small pyramid - even better if he was a Pharoah mummy lord  :  )
I can't have a boss walking that could destroy players precious structures. I originally wanted a biome boss, one boss spawned naturally in the biome. Maybe it is too complicated. Note that he doesn't summon instantly, it triggers the building of a small pyramid that builds over the course of 30 seconds while sound plays. Then he shows up. If you delete the block (thinking its not working) he won't summon.

Did you eventually get it working though? Was it the pattern that was difficult?

Could you make the mummy a night monster? Not just linked to the Pharoah? I've always wanted mummies in minecraft  :  ) How about a small tomb structure like the palm oasis, mostly underground where the mummies could spawn from sarcophagai?

At this point in writing my reply I received a notification that you replied and read the other. I'll leave above as is.

Which is all just GREAT - Put the pharoah mummy lord in the Pyramid Wonder :  )   Heres a thought - could you use the standard MC desert temple pyramid? but recrafted?  My players have gotten so used to these - find one, dig down, disable pressure plate, walk away with loot. It would be really nice if they found one, dug down, disabled pressure plate and instigated some form of pharoah attack with spawning mummies in a lower level they didnt expect  

The current fight mechanics are definetly not designed around fighting in doors, even less underground. I have considered RNGing up the Pyramid (either editing the default one or cloning one of my own) with additional pressure plates / trip wire (explosions at different parts of the temple). I'll have to think on it.

I enjoyed playing this, it livens up deserts a lot and i'm keeping the mod in our games. Will be very interested to see how it develops and where you take things. Would love to see your take on the other biomes - i've wanted biome specific monster generation in MC since I first started playing.

Glad you enjoyed it. On a completely unrelated note, I've gotten overlays figured out now so the boss should have a health bar soon.

Almost Forgot

By the way - love the scale and cactus armour, and the cocunuts, which I missed entirely in play, hence the dates suggestion.
What I'm thinking of doing with the coconuts is the Palm Tree itself spawn like how a pumpkin stem spawns pumpkins. Coconuts would spawn at the top where the log meets the leaves. I'd extend the sample style eventually to apple trees and apples would hang from the bottom of the leaves.

Posted Image

MohawkyMagoo

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, really enjoyed this mod and would like more please, especially in the "dead" biomes like Tiaga.

Understand what you mean about the vultures - as you say, balance is the key.

Dont go overboard on changing the vultures, armadillo etc - I think a small tweak to the armadillo behaviour is enough. The vultures didnt attack unless bumped into, which is what happened, and the lizards you learn to avoid. That said, the only weapon I had when encountering them in combination was a wooden axe, and I survived, just. So its not that bad.

understood on the boss-walking and destroying and agree. I think I got the pattern right, but will check again today. Of course, it could be me being a sploon as usual and getting it wrong.

As for pyramids - have you checked out MC Schematics?  There are hundreds of good models there including hollow Pyramids - most creators would love to have them feature in a mod - just ask.

MohawkyMagoo

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

quick question - will it populate deserts in existing maps? or does it need a fresh map everytime?