• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

DO PEOPLE AUCTALLY MAKE MONEY FROM A MINECRAFT SERVER ?

servers money from server do people make money from server help money from minecraft dedicated server

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

jayjaymozza
  • Minecraft: jayjaymozza

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Ive got my own server, and ive also been on alot more server, and ive been on a few with 150+ people on, and i thin "they must pay alot to host something that big" but if there paying alot, what do they get back from it ?
so im wondering if people make money from server ? and if they do how ?
how can i ?

Visit my YouTube gaming channel and help me grow :)
www.youtube.com/thejayjaymozza

Register or log in to remove.

Spataner
  • Minecraft: Spataner

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Any means of payment for a server would be external. You can not make money directly within Minecraft itself.

The most servers rely on donations. This is, of course, quite an unstable source of money, so those servers are mostly run by someone who can afford keeping the server up even with insufficient revenue.

Some servers allow playing only, if you make the required payments, either as an once only fee to enter, or as a monthly subscription of some sort.

You could also consider a premium system, where members can pay for certain privileges.

So if you really wanted to make money from your server, you would need to run it professionally, setting up an own website probably, as well as giving your players easy and safe methods to pay/donate.
But this would require you to provide a service worth paying for, first of all.

Mjallux
    Mjallux

Carpenter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Minecraft: Jalmar

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I ran a fairly big minecraft server. But really never got any money out from it. But i didnt pay for it either, i got money for server/domain/host payments from donations.

Str8tUpSkillz
  • Minecraft: Str8tUpSkillz

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Running a server is a expensive, time consuming, and likely 99% of the time a non-profitable operation. Any server that makes money would likely strickly be from donation made by players. To give you a example I recently started running a server, I pay $27 a month for a absolute max of about 40 players on at a time, the server has been up for a month and a half and i have recieved one donation of $20.

jayjaymozza
  • Minecraft: jayjaymozza

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

So....whats the point in wasting TIME, AND MONEY and something that isnt going to get you nothing or anywhere ?
Visit my YouTube gaming channel and help me grow :)
www.youtube.com/thejayjaymozza

MathiasVerden

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

As with everything else, it's about doing something that's put in your own voice. For most people ( including me ) it's all about having control over something. Exactly why Mojang won't make Minecraft open-source, and why no one but the people in-charge of a server should have control over it.

Posted Image

KyleADunn
  • Minecraft: KyleADunn

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

On my server, I created a peaceful, mature, and friendly environment for the players. I grew close to the players, and so they became much more apt to donate to me for providing them with such a great minecraft experience. With only 35 total users, my monthly bill for the server is only $14. I recieve around $40-$60 per month in donations. So, you can make some money my friend :) Albeit, I never started up to make money. Nor do I demand, or even ask for it. Be nice, and the donations will rise themselves :)
I do not fear using my true name, or showing my face. Not because I am arrogant, but because I am no different on screen than I am in person. In all realities, my name is Kyle.

Posted Image

Freedomna
    Freedomna

A Space Odyssey

• Members
  • 2001 posts
  • Minecraft: Freedomna
  • Xbox:Freedomna

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postjayjaymozza, on 04 September 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

So....whats the point in wasting TIME, AND MONEY and something that isnt going to get you nothing or anywhere ?

Minecraft is not about making money (so if that is your opinion on how to run a server, I suggest you do not make one) it is about having fun. Running a server allows you to have fun with lots of people. Donations are implemented to keep the server (and the source of the fun) around. If you make extra money on it, I applaud you for running a great server with such a high influx of donations. If your goal is just to make money, then don't. It means the server will be profit first, fun later. I played on servers like that, cannae play on any of them since they rip you off and charge you for everything Posted Image .
-Lord Freedomna, Earl in the Principality of Sealand.
Like what I have to say? Be sure to one up my post :D
Have and Xbox 360 (and GTA V)? Then add me on there. GT: Freedomna

Str8tUpSkillz
  • Minecraft: Str8tUpSkillz

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

If you looking at a server a way to make some quick cash you will want to reconsider. I run a server so I can have control over it, and customize it to my liking instead of trying to find something I like.

Cryocopter

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Find FyreUK on the internet, they are a creative server who build stuff and make it into a timelapse in youtube. To join is very hard as you may have to win a creative build contest. They recently ask for donations from their subscribers or fans and they can have access to the server. So yeah i believe some servers actually make money.
Forever a frozen helicopter

Conker
    Conker

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm guessing the idea of just hosting a huge server to enjoy the game with tons of players and watch citys built from nothing goes right over your head doesn't it?
Posted Image

AtaxiaCraft

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Yes, they do. I own a 20 player faction server. It has 80 slots. I pay $42 a month. I make about $120 profit each month from it. My ip is ataxiacraft.no-ip.org. Wanna know how? It's easy. There's a plugin that does it all automatically. It's called buycraft. It lets players buy packages. You make the packages, they do the command, and it takes them through a payment process and performs whatever command you set the package to. It's all automatic. I don't have to do anything. The one thing I do need is players. If this post helped you, please consider joining my server. Again the IP is ataxiacraft.no-ip.org. You can see how the plugin works by going to /warp donate once you join.

EDIT:
Here's an example:
1) you log on to your buycraft dashboard.
2) Make a package, lets say its for users to buy a diamond sword
3) You click "add package" and give it a name and description. You also set it's price
4) Underneath is a section to add commands. These commands will be performes when the user makes a payment.
5) In our case, you will set the command to give {name} 276 1
6) You don't need a slash
7) The {name} means {name of player who bought package}.
8) When a player gets on and wants to donate, they will do /buy page 1 to see all packages on page 1. Then, they will find the package they want. Let's say the ID of our package is 3. They will do /buy 3.
9) This will give them a web link to click
10) It will open their web browser and take htem through the payment process
11) Once they pay, they get their item(s)!
It's really simple and completely automatic. More importantly, its profitable!

Hope this helped!

Posted Image

skylerashe

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ok first off i have know idea what these people are talking about i dont pay for server hosting it doesent have to cost money at all. second it is super easy for people to buy stuff on your server with buycraft which is a plugin that allows people to buy ranks ingame with there paypal account putting it directly into yours. Last if you know what you are doing and have votifier to get more people to vot to get your ranking higher on server sites then you have more people getting on and the better you spawn/server is the more people will stay on i have only been a server owner for about a month and it took me about a week to build and i have 10 people that are on at all times i have recieved $35 from ranks without paying a dime my server doesent lag it doesent crash it is up 24/7. so yeah if you know what your doing you make money... and shadowraze and other servers like that make about $3000 a month.

Chipmunk9998
    Chipmunk9998

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 917 posts
  • Minecraft: Chipmunk9998

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've gotten a little bit of money from donations to my server. In the past six months I think I've made around $1500, but the server bill is $200 a month so I don't really receive a lot of money.

Edit: Wow, next post is 900!

zAHerobrineAz

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostAtaxiaCraft, on 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Yes, they do. I own a 20 player faction server. It has 80 slots. I pay $42 a month. I make about $120 profit each month from it. My ip is ataxiacraft.no-ip.org. Wanna know how? It's easy. There's a plugin that does it all automatically. It's called buycraft. It lets players buy packages. You make the packages, they do the command, and it takes them through a payment process and performs whatever command you set the package to. It's all automatic. I don't have to do anything. The one thing I do need is players. If this post helped you, please consider joining my server. Again the IP is ataxiacraft.no-ip.org. You can see how the plugin works by going to /warp donate once you join.

EDIT:
Here's an example:
1) you log on to your buycraft dashboard.
2) Make a package, lets say its for users to buy a diamond sword
3) You click "add package" and give it a name and description. You also set it's price
4) Underneath is a section to add commands. These commands will be performes when the user makes a payment.
5) In our case, you will set the command to give {name} 276 1
6) You don't need a slash
7) The {name} means {name of player who bought package}.
8) When a player gets on and wants to donate, they will do /buy page 1 to see all packages on page 1. Then, they will find the package they want. Let's say the ID of our package is 3. They will do /buy 3.
9) This will give them a web link to click
10) It will open their web browser and take htem through the payment process
11) Once they pay, they get their item(s)!
It's really simple and completely automatic. More importantly, its profitable!

Hope this helped!

Posted Image

EXACTILY! But i will use beastnode hosting ill get free buycraft premium im asking for a 3 day trial!

Luke_James
  • Minecraft: Luke_James

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I run a server called VolumeCraft, I run it with some very trusted people to a highly professional & reliable manner, we opened in December and I have earned around £600 (~$900) from it. As long as you run a server that people WANT to play on and keep open, then the donations will come by themselves.

Posted Image

Owner of VolumeCraft SMP, a classic Minecraft survival experience!

Troopuh
    Troopuh

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Minecraft: Troopuh
  • Xbox:Trazakae

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Doing something just to get you money will not work out very good. You should do it because you LOVE doing it, not because you just want to get profit from doing it. People usually get money from servers by donations or giving permissions when people pay monthly for a VIP type of thing.

LegndPowerdNube

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

There is something you could do though. You could start a small server at home for say 20 or so players. If the players want to donate, say you are going to move to a hosting service if they do. There is one incentive for donating!
Want a faster reply?
Quote Me!

Saydin
    Saydin

Support Guru

• Members
  • 1182 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

You shouldn't start up a server thinking you'll make lots of money from it, but in some cases, yes, some people do make money off their server.

Posted Image

qtpriest
    qtpriest

Support Guru

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Minecraft: stunseed

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

View Postjayjaymozza, on 04 September 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Ive got my own server, and ive also been on alot more server, and ive been on a few with 150+ people on, and i thin "they must pay alot to host something that big" but if there paying alot, what do they get back from it ?
so im wondering if people make money from server ? and if they do how ?
how can i ?

first id like to say. oh my what a very large font you have there ;). but anyways to answer your questio yes you can earn money by hosting your own server its not a reliable source of income  and most of your money will come from players that enjoy your server/ want to come back so make sure your server has a servie worht paying for.to actually do it id look into a donation plugin like buycraft, sign up for a website at enjin and they have that stuff too. advertise your server through a PTC site and monetize from adfly. PTC and adlfly wont help much at all. 2000 click per 5 bucks not much at all but it can help. then advertise yur server everywhere all day every day. make people vote for it. but that will only get you more visitors. but nothings to say they will donate. you mentioned servers that have 100+ or more people. well theyve been around for a LONG time some of them at least and can it be expensive yes it can . but some people also have there own stuff that they do at home as well. i have a massive server computer pretty sure im not the only one and i have the internet to handle it.
the earth first! we can strip mine the rest of the universe after. click the up arrow if i helped.
Be A part of a great server! connect with Theofficialmcserver.com

Posted Image